HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN. DO YOU WANT TO WAIT? (Y/N)

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

SubjectAuthor
* Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher
+* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerDon Spam's Reckless Son
|`* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher
|  `- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
`* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher
 +* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerDon Spam's Reckless Son
 |`- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
 +* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
 |`* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher
 | `* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
 |  `* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerMalcolm
 |   +* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher
 |   |+- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerMalcolm
 |   |`- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
 |   `* Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Playermarrgol
 |    `- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerCarlos E.R.
 `- Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video PlayerPaul R Schmidtbleicher

1
Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8i04fFgrsrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=835&group=alt.os.linux.suse#835

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player
Date: 29 Mar 2023 05:20:16 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 05:20 UTC

Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages). This is also
the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
I use the xine video player. On starting it: It reads on the video
window, "There is no MRL." At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD button
I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words, It won't
find nor play a DVD.

Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.

Paul

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<u00s9o$6ro4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=836&group=alt.os.linux.suse#836

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 10:19:03 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:19 UTC

Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages). This is also
> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
> I use the xine video player. On starting it: It reads on the video
> window, "There is no MRL." At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD button
> I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words, It won't
> find nor play a DVD.
>
> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>
> Paul

When you say "I am reporting it", do you mean your post here. According
to Carlos - in another thread - only BugZilla entries count.

In the "other thread" a bug was discovered around a year ago and fixed.
In Tumbleweed. Only. Around 2-3 weeks ago someone at openSUSE thought
"wait a minute, this affects Leap as well", it was then fixed for Leap.
The crazy thing is, the person who originally commented on the problem
here is a maintainer for openSUSE and I kind of assumed he had filed a
bug for the problem.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<vlmdfjxlrj.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=837&group=alt.os.linux.suse#837

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:14:23 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 12:14 UTC

On 2023-03-29 10:19, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages).  This is also
>> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
>> I use the xine video player.  On starting it: It reads on the video
>> window, "There is no MRL."  At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
>> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD
>> button
>> I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words, It
>> won't
>> find nor play a DVD.
>>
>> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
>> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> When you say "I am reporting it", do you mean your post here.  According
> to Carlos - in another thread - only BugZilla entries count.

As far as reporting goes, certainly. Most probably nobody that can do
something about it will do anything because they don't read here.

And some will not act even if they read here or other places because "it
is not the proper place for tracking a bug".

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8k3h0Fqq3oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=838&group=alt.os.linux.suse#838

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 30 Mar 2023 00:30:24 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:30 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:14:23 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> On 2023-03-29 10:19, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> When you say "I am reporting it", do you mean your post here.
>> According to Carlos - in another thread - only BugZilla entries count.

Thanks for the info. I did a web search for BugZilla and found it. It
seems like a huge multi-platform database. This is just a small program
in Tumbleweed. I put it in a general read (I thought) news group. Sorry
to have annoyed anyone. I was aiming for anyone else who did the recent
upgrade and got a similar failure in xine.
Thanks
Paul

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<m73ffjx4ao.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=839&group=alt.os.linux.suse#839

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 02:54:46 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:54 UTC

On 2023-03-30 02:30, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 14:14:23 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> On 2023-03-29 10:19, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>> When you say "I am reporting it", do you mean your post here.
>>> According to Carlos - in another thread - only BugZilla entries count.
>>

> Thanks for the info. I did a web search for BugZilla and found it. It
> seems like a huge multi-platform database. This is just a small program
> in Tumbleweed. I put it in a general read (I thought) news group. Sorry
> to have annoyed anyone. I was aiming for anyone else who did the recent
> upgrade and got a similar failure in xine.
No, you haven't annoyed anyone :-D

For openSUSE bugzillas, the point to start is this one:

<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports>

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8k8dpFri86U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=840&group=alt.os.linux.suse#840

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 30 Mar 2023 01:54:01 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 01:54 UTC

On 29 Mar 2023 05:20:16 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:

> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages). This is also
> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
> I use the xine video player. On starting it: It reads on the video
> window, "There is no MRL." At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD
> button I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words,
> It won't find nor play a DVD.
>
> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>
> Paul

RESOLVED!
I also have a laptop with Tumbleweed - not yet upgraded. I compared
some things after running /usr/bin/xine-bugreport script. I discovered
that the newly upgraded desktop did not have a /dev/dvd entry. The optical
drive is /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom is linked to it. However, xine uses the
default /dev/dvd for accessing DVD's. The hint from xine-bugreport
script was to create a symbolic link to between sr0 (optical drive) and
dvd. The following resolved the issue. AS ROOT in the /dev directory I
entered "ln -s sr0 dvd" This created the missing dvd that xine was
looking for.
I hope this helps any others who find this issue after the latest
update of Tumbleweed.
The REAL underlying issue is why the update did not keep the
original /dev/dvd link (or recreate it) that my not-so-far non-upgraded
laptop has in /dev directory. It has several links to sr0 (linked to)
cdrom, cdromrw, cdrom**, and dvd in the /dev directory.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<u03eno$okft$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=841&group=alt.os.linux.suse#841

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:45:59 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 07:45 UTC

Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2023 05:20:16 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>
>> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages). This is also
>> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
>> I use the xine video player. On starting it: It reads on the video
>> window, "There is no MRL." At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
>> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD
>> button I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words,
>> It won't find nor play a DVD.
>>
>> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
>> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>>
>> Paul
>
> RESOLVED!
> I also have a laptop with Tumbleweed - not yet upgraded. I compared
> some things after running /usr/bin/xine-bugreport script. I discovered
> that the newly upgraded desktop did not have a /dev/dvd entry. The optical
> drive is /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom is linked to it. However, xine uses the
> default /dev/dvd for accessing DVD's. The hint from xine-bugreport
> script was to create a symbolic link to between sr0 (optical drive) and
> dvd. The following resolved the issue. AS ROOT in the /dev directory I
> entered "ln -s sr0 dvd" This created the missing dvd that xine was
> looking for.
> I hope this helps any others who find this issue after the latest
> update of Tumbleweed.
> The REAL underlying issue is why the update did not keep the
> original /dev/dvd link (or recreate it) that my not-so-far non-upgraded
> laptop has in /dev directory. It has several links to sr0 (linked to)
> cdrom, cdromrw, cdrom**, and dvd in the /dev directory.

It's a long time since I used shambolic links, is that link persistent
over a boot? Obviously under normal circumstances they are, but does
that also apply to links under /dev?

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<8dvffjxr82.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=842&group=alt.os.linux.suse#842

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:55:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:55 UTC

On 2023-03-30 03:54, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2023 05:20:16 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>
>> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages). This is also
>> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
>> I use the xine video player. On starting it: It reads on the video
>> window, "There is no MRL." At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
>> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD
>> button I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words,
>> It won't find nor play a DVD.
>>
>> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
>> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>>
>> Paul
>
> RESOLVED!
> I also have a laptop with Tumbleweed - not yet upgraded. I compared
> some things after running /usr/bin/xine-bugreport script. I discovered
> that the newly upgraded desktop did not have a /dev/dvd entry. The optical
> drive is /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom is linked to it. However, xine uses the
> default /dev/dvd for accessing DVD's. The hint from xine-bugreport
> script was to create a symbolic link to between sr0 (optical drive) and
> dvd. The following resolved the issue. AS ROOT in the /dev directory I
> entered "ln -s sr0 dvd" This created the missing dvd that xine was
> looking for.
> I hope this helps any others who find this issue after the latest
> update of Tumbleweed.
> The REAL underlying issue is why the update did not keep the
> original /dev/dvd link (or recreate it) that my not-so-far non-upgraded
> laptop has in /dev directory. It has several links to sr0 (linked to)
> cdrom, cdromrw, cdrom**, and dvd in the /dev directory.

Notice that the "/dev" directory is volatile, anything you create there
has to be created again on every boot.

You could use "/etc/init.d/boot.local" to create it.

The file that creates it (in Leap) is
"/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules":

ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_PATH}=="pci-0000:00:1f.5-scsi-1:0:0:0",
SYMLINK+="dvd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

My file, dated 2010, says:

# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_cd_rules
# program, probably run by the cd-aliases-generator.rules rules file.
# # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single line
# and set the $GENERATED variable.

However, there is no "/lib/udev/write_cd_rules" file in my system; not
very surprising seeing how old is 70-persistent-cd.rules.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8ltjpF4ugpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=843&group=alt.os.linux.suse#843

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 30 Mar 2023 17:01:45 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:01 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:55:36 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

On a reboot test the link does disappear. You are both right about that.
On "/etc/init.d/boot.local" my directory structure only shows "/etc/
init.d" init.d shows as an empty directory. Not sure how to implement
your suggestion.
Question: My goal is a solid link for /dev/sr0 -> /dev/dvd. Would a
hard link accomplish that? ie "ln /dev/sr0 dev/dvd" OR in /dev directory
"ln sr0 dvd"

Thanks for any further help.
Paul

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<s5sgfjxu2u.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=844&group=alt.os.linux.suse#844

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:06:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:06 UTC

On 2023-03-30 09:45, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> On 29 Mar 2023 05:20:16 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>>
>>> Today I did a "zupper dup" on Tumbleweed (3569 packages).  This is also
>>> the first time it seems to have broken a program I use.
>>> I use the xine video player.  On starting it: It reads on the video
>>> window, "There is no MRL."  At my (linux) knowledge level I do not know
>>> what it means, but the practical result is that clicking on the DVD
>>> button I get: "There is no plugin to handle the 'DVD:/'. In other words,
>>> It won't find nor play a DVD.
>>>
>>> Not sure what to do next . . . Maybe wait until others find this and
>>> correct it. - In any case I am reporting it.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> RESOLVED!
>>     I also have a laptop with Tumbleweed - not yet upgraded.  I compared
>> some things after running /usr/bin/xine-bugreport script.  I discovered
>> that the newly upgraded desktop did not have a /dev/dvd entry. The
>> optical
>> drive is /dev/sr0  /dev/cdrom is linked to it.  However, xine uses the
>> default /dev/dvd for accessing DVD's.   The hint from xine-bugreport
>> script was to create a symbolic link to between sr0 (optical drive) and
>> dvd.  The following resolved the issue. AS ROOT in the /dev directory I
>> entered "ln -s sr0 dvd"  This created the missing dvd that xine was
>> looking for.
>>     I hope this helps any others who find this issue after the latest
>> update of Tumbleweed.
>>     The REAL underlying issue is why the update did not keep the
>> original /dev/dvd link (or recreate it) that my not-so-far non-upgraded
>> laptop has in /dev directory. It has several links to sr0 (linked to)
>> cdrom, cdromrw, cdrom**, and dvd in the /dev directory.
>>

> It's a long time since I used shambolic links, is that link persistent
> over a boot?  Obviously under normal circumstances they are, but does
> that also apply to links under /dev?

No, /dev is a tmpfs:

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<jrtgfjxnuu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=845&group=alt.os.linux.suse#845

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:35:15 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:35 UTC

On 2023-03-30 19:01, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:55:36 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>

> On a reboot test the link does disappear. You are both right about that.
> On "/etc/init.d/boot.local" my directory structure only shows "/etc/
> init.d" init.d shows as an empty directory. Not sure how to implement
> your suggestion.

Create /etc/init.d/boot.local with this text:

#!/bin/sh

ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd

make it owned by root:root, and executable for root (or for all).

That's all.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<20230330160445.52c2113b@grover.homelinux.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=846&group=alt.os.linux.suse#846

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:04:45 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:04 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:35:15 +0200
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-03-30 19:01, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:55:36 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> >

> > On a reboot test the link does disappear. You are both right about
> > that. On "/etc/init.d/boot.local" my directory structure only shows
> > "/etc/ init.d" init.d shows as an empty directory. Not sure how to
> > implement your suggestion.
>

> Create /etc/init.d/boot.local with this text:
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd
>

> make it owned by root:root, and executable for root (or for all).
>

> That's all.

Hi
Or a simple udev rule....

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules

KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"

udevadm trigger

ls -la /dev/dv*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 30 16:02 /dev/dvd -> sr0

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230329 | GNOME Shell 44.0 | 6.2.8-1-default

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8mrrpF92cuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=847&group=alt.os.linux.suse#847

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 31 Mar 2023 01:38:01 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 01:38 UTC

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:04:45 -0500, Malcolm wrote:

> Hi Or a simple udev rule....
>
> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules
>
> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>
> udevadm trigger
>
> ls -la /dev/dv*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 30 16:02 /dev/dvd -> sr0

If I use this approach, where do I place
KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"

There is no "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules" in current Tumbleweed
Under "/etc/udev/rules.d" there are four sets of rules mostly dealing
with scanners - nothing about dvd's

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<20230330215042.30dce924@grover.homelinux.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=848&group=alt.os.linux.suse#848

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 21:50:41 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 02:50 UTC

On 31 Mar 2023 01:38:01 GMT
Paul R Schmidtbleicher <paulrs@foxinternet.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:04:45 -0500, Malcolm wrote:
>
> > Hi Or a simple udev rule....
> >
> > cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules
> >
> > KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
> >
> > udevadm trigger
> >
> > ls -la /dev/dv*
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 30 16:02 /dev/dvd -> sr0
>
> If I use this approach, where do I place
> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>
> There is no "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules" in current Tumbleweed
> Under "/etc/udev/rules.d" there are four sets of rules mostly
> dealing with scanners - nothing about dvd's
Hi
You (the admin) create the file... ;) Easy to create as your user
(70-dvd.rules), then just copy over as root user....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230329 | GNOME Shell 44.0 | 6.2.8-1-default
HP Z440 | Xeon E5-2690 V3 X24 @ 2.60GHz | Nvidia Quadro T400/Tesla P4

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<h4iifjxo9m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=849&group=alt.os.linux.suse#849

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:27:29 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:27 UTC

On 2023-03-31 03:38, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:04:45 -0500, Malcolm wrote:
>
>> Hi Or a simple udev rule....
>>
>> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules
>>
>> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>>
>> udevadm trigger
>>
>> ls -la /dev/dv*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 30 16:02 /dev/dvd -> sr0
>
> If I use this approach, where do I place
> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>
> There is no "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules" in current Tumbleweed
> Under "/etc/udev/rules.d" there are four sets of rules mostly dealing
> with scanners - nothing about dvd's

You create the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-dvd.rules" with that line.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<u06e6m$1ckib$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=852&group=alt.os.linux.suse#852

From: marr...@address.invalid (marrgol)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:55:18 +0200
 by: marrgol - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:55 UTC

On 30/03/2023 at 23.04, Malcolm wrote:
> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"

The file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules used to contain
lines:

KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrom",
OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_CD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrw",
OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvd",
OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvdrw",
OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"

Now there's only the first one of them present. Wonder what was
the reasoning behind removing the other four… :-(

--
mrg

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<4jtifjxjjs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=854&group=alt.os.linux.suse#854

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:43:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 11:43 UTC

On 2023-03-31 12:55, marrgol wrote:
> On 30/03/2023 at 23.04, Malcolm wrote:
>> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>
> The file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-cdrom_id.rules used to contain
> lines:
>
> KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="cdrom", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
> KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrom",
> OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
> KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_CD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="cdrw",
> OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
> KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvd",
> OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
> KERNEL=="sr0", ENV{ID_CDROM_DVD_RW}=="1", SYMLINK+="dvdrw",
> OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"
>
> Now there's only the first one of them present.  Wonder what was
> the reasoning behind removing the other four… :-(

You can ask in the factory mail list, if you are interested.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Latest Tumbleweed Upgrade Breaks Xine Video Player

<k8oj1sFhhsuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=856&group=alt.os.linux.suse#856

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 31 Mar 2023 17:19:57 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 17:19 UTC

On 30 Mar 2023 01:54:01 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:

> RESOLVED!

Thank you to you all - "My Teachers." I did not realize that _I_ was
creating the _file_ with the contents given:

KERNEL=="sr0", SYMLINK+="dvd", OPTIONS+="link_priority=-100"

and its name was to be "70-dvd.rules" Properties were to belong to ROOT
and it was to be an executable in the "/etc/udev/rules.d" directory. Once
that became clear to me (call me "dense"), I proceeded to put it together,
rebooted Tumbleweed, and BEHOLD, dvd appeared in the /dev directory. My
problem with xine video player finding a DVD is resolved.

I'm 76yrs and learning, many thanks,
Paul