From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: SOLVED (stupid solution), was Re: Mail 11.5 (3445.9.7) Smart Mailboxes suddenly all empty
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:54:24 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 03:54 UTC

On 2022-07-20 01:33:49 +0000, Dudley Brooks said:
> On 7/19/22 4:06 PM, Sn!pe wrote:
>> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That is a blessing.

>>> I'm sorry, I don't really have the expertise to advise you further;
>>> at this stage I'd be looking for advice myself. I might try deleting
>>> the mail accounts from Mail then recreating them but I'm not confident
>>> that it would work. I really wouldn't want you to risk losing all your
>>> past mail. Good luck!
>>
>> Afterthought: You could try recreating a smart mailbox.
>> AIUI smart mailboxes are just view filters.
>
> This is embarrassing! Turns out that if I haven't opened Mail for a
> while (and it has literally been weeks), apparently all the Smart
> Mailboxes have to repopulate ... and it takes a long time! A
> rea-ea-ealy, rea-ea-eally, l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time!
>
> I sent my first message about the problem at 12:39pm PST ... and at
> some time between 3:41pm (when I last looked) and 6:31pm (when I looked
> just now) the Smart Mailboxes repopulated. So it took something
> between three hours and six hours.
>
> But thanks for your willingness to help.

Assuming it's an IMAP connection, it could have been redownloading all
the email headers from Gmail, which will take some time if you are the
type of person who stores a lot of emails. It then has to re-filter
them.

Personally I stay well away from "smart" anything - mailboxes, folders,
devices, cars. They're usually incredibly dumb and not worth bothering
with.

Mail also does tend to be a bit slow when first opened. When I boot my
Mac every morning, I go into Mail as one of the first things I do. It
quickly gets the new emails (via a POP conneciton), but trying to open
a message to read can be a mission in frustration - it usually takes at
least two attempts (sometimes many more) to open the message before it
actually displays any content. After the first message, it works
properly. It's not even possible to close the non-displaying message
window using the keyboard shortcut, only the close gadget on the window
works.

Re: SOLVED (stupid solution), was Re: Mail 11.5 (3445.9.7) Smart Mailboxes suddenly all empty

<tbdguo$2ujrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=863&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#863

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: SOLVED (stupid solution), was Re: Mail 11.5 (3445.9.7) Smart
Mailboxes suddenly all empty
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 23:43:36 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 06:43 UTC

On 7/19/22 8:54 PM, Your Name wrote:

> On 2022-07-20 01:33:49 +0000, Dudley Brooks said:

>>> Afterthought:  You could try recreating a smart mailbox.
>>> AIUI smart mailboxes are just view filters.
>>
>> This is embarrassing!  Turns out that if I haven't opened Mail for a
>> while (and it has literally been weeks), apparently all the Smart
>> Mailboxes have to repopulate ... and it takes a long time!  A
>> rea-ea-ealy, rea-ea-eally, l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time!
>>
>> I sent my first message about the problem at 12:39pm PST ... and at
>> some time between 3:41pm (when I last looked) and 6:31pm (when I
>> looked just now) the Smart Mailboxes repopulated.  So it took
>> something between three hours and six hours.
>>
>> But thanks for your willingness to help.
>
> Assuming it's an IMAP connection, it could have been redownloading all
> the email headers from Gmail, which will take some time if you are the
> type of person who stores a lot of emails. It then has to re-filter them.
>
> Personally I stay well away from "smart" anything - mailboxes, folders,
> devices, cars. They're usually incredibly dumb and not worth bothering
> with.
>
> Mail also does tend to be a bit slow when first opened. When I boot my
> Mac every morning, I go into Mail as one of the first things I do. It
> quickly gets the new emails (via a POP conneciton), but trying to open a
> message to read can be a mission in frustration - it usually takes at
> least two attempts (sometimes many more) to open the message before it
> actually displays any content. After the first message, it works
> properly. It's not even possible to close the non-displaying message
> window using the keyboard shortcut, only the close gadget on the window
> works.

Thanks for all the info and advice. Much appreciated.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!