You can't have everything... where would you put it? -- Steven Wright

tech / sci.logic / Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

SubjectAuthor
* Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesolcott
+* Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesRichard Damon
|`* Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesolcott
| +- Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesRichard Damon
| `* Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesRichard Damon
|  `* Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesolcott
|   `- Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesRichard Damon
`- Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomiesimmibis

1
Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<uree09$1l1e0$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8609&group=sci.logic#8609

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological
antinomies
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 22:00:09 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 04:00 UTC

On 2/23/2024 9:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 2/23/24 12:39 PM, olcott wrote:
>> On 2/23/2024 11:16 AM, Dan Cross wrote:
>>> Since this is comp.theory, here's a theoretical
>>> suggestion: write a markov chain program to argue
>>> with olcott.  Epirical evidence suggests that
>>> this program would never halt, at least until the
>>> heat death of the universe.
>>>
>>>     - Dan C.
>>>

>> *I can't even get these people to agree that lies are not true*
>> Epistemological antinomies must be rejected as semantically invalid
>> input.
>>

> Nope, you just don't understand what people are saying.
>
> NO ONE claims that lies are true (except it seems you).
>
> Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
> "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>
> That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>
> It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.

You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
is not a truth bearer.

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<uref8i$3p054$28@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8613&group=sci.logic#8613

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:21:38 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 04:21 UTC

On 2/24/24 11:00 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/23/2024 9:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> *I can't even get these people to agree that lies are not true*
>>> Epistemological antinomies must be rejected as semantically invalid
>>> input.
>>>

>> Nope, you just don't understand what people are saying.
>>
>> NO ONE claims that lies are true (except it seems you).
>>
>> Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
>> "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>>
>> That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>>
>> It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>
> You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
> truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
> is not a truth bearer.

Nope, you don't understand what he is saying.

You are just PROVING your stupidity.

You are a textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urejvl$1mh2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8617&group=sci.logic#8617

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:42:13 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:42 UTC

On 2/24/2024 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Nope, you just don't understand what people are saying.
>>>
>>> NO ONE claims that lies are true (except it seems you).
>>>
>>> Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
>>> "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>>>
>>> That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>>>
>>> It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>>
>> You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
>> truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
>> is not a truth bearer.
>>

> Nope, you don't understand what he is saying.
>
> You are just PROVING your stupidity.
>
> You are a textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.

The fact that my idea that you reverse-engineered after
my incessant prompting does correctly handle epistemological
antinomies, does refute any proof that relies on them
to show undecidability. Tarski is one of those proofs.

Wikipedia shows that Tarski relies on the Liar Paradox
thus confirming my own assessment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski%27s_undefinability_theorem#General_form

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urfdos$3s35h$4@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8623&group=sci.logic#8623

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:02:20 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:02 UTC

On 2/25/24 12:42 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/24/2024 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
>>> truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
>>> is not a truth bearer.
>>>

>> Nope, you don't understand what he is saying.
>>
>> You are just PROVING your stupidity.
>>
>> You are a textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.
>
> The fact that my idea that you reverse-engineered after
> my incessant prompting does correctly handle epistemological
> antinomies, does refute any proof that relies on them
> to show undecidability. Tarski is one of those proofs.
>
> Wikipedia shows that Tarski relies on the Liar Paradox
> thus confirming my own assessment.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski%27s_undefinability_theorem#General_form

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urfdov$3s35h$5@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8624&group=sci.logic#8624

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:02:23 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:02 UTC

On 2/25/24 12:42 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/24/2024 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
>>> truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
>>> is not a truth bearer.
>>>

>> Nope, you don't understand what he is saying.
>>
>> You are just PROVING your stupidity.
>>
>> You are a textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.
>
> The fact that my idea that you reverse-engineered after
> my incessant prompting does correctly handle epistemological
> antinomies, does refute any proof that relies on them
> to show undecidability. Tarski is one of those proofs.
>
> Wikipedia shows that Tarski relies on the Liar Paradox
> thus confirming my own assessment.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski%27s_undefinability_theorem#General_form

You LIE when you say you "invented" it, as it was ALWAYS the definition
of a predicate. P(x) determines if x has the property of the predicate,
and if so returns true, and if not returns false, so for a non-truth
bearing statement, True(x) would return false, and False(x) would also
return false as the non-truth bearing sentence is not false either.

You just don't understand the difference between a Truth Predicate and a
truth-value.

Yes, he uses the FORM of the Liar, but in a way that is valid, since the
result of a predicate is always a truth value.

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urfv0i$1vo2n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8640&group=sci.logic#8640

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:56:34 -0600
 by: olcott - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:56 UTC

On 2/25/2024 7:02 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Nope, you don't understand what he is saying.
>>>
>>> You are just PROVING your stupidity.
>>>
>>> You are a textbook example of Dunning-Kruger.
>>
>> The fact that my idea that you reverse-engineered after
>> my incessant prompting does correctly handle epistemological
>> antinomies, does refute any proof that relies on them
>> to show undecidability. Tarski is one of those proofs.
>>
>> Wikipedia shows that Tarski relies on the Liar Paradox
>> thus confirming my own assessment.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski%27s_undefinability_theorem#General_form
>>

> You LIE when you say you "invented" it, as it was ALWAYS the definition
> of a predicate.

When I say that I invented something I mean that the original source
of the idea to me was my own thoughts.

If it always was the definition of a predicate then Tarski
and Gödel become liars rather than merely stupid. If they
knew that epistemological antinomies must be rejected and
still based proofs upon them that makes them liars.

Because many modern philosophers still don't even know
that the Liar Paradox is not a truth bearer I don't
think that Gödel and Tarski were liars.

There is only one correct way to deal with epistemological antinomies
in formal proofs, recognize them and reject them as semantically
invalid.

Both Gödel and Tarski were too stupid to do that.

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urg0pu$3s35h$14@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8648&group=sci.logic#8648

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:27:11 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

On 2/25/24 12:56 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 7:02 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The fact that my idea that you reverse-engineered after
>>> my incessant prompting does correctly handle epistemological
>>> antinomies, does refute any proof that relies on them
>>> to show undecidability. Tarski is one of those proofs.
>>>
>>> Wikipedia shows that Tarski relies on the Liar Paradox
>>> thus confirming my own assessment.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski%27s_undefinability_theorem#General_form
>>>

>> You LIE when you say you "invented" it, as it was ALWAYS the
>> definition of a predicate.
>
> When I say that I invented something I mean that the original source
> of the idea to me was my own thoughts.
>
> If it always was the definition of a predicate then Tarski
> and Gödel become liars rather than merely stupid. If they
> knew that epistemological antinomies must be rejected and
> still based proofs upon them that makes them liars.

Nope.

YOU became the liar because you accuse them of something they didn't do.

> Because many modern philosophers still don't even know
> that the Liar Paradox is not a truth bearer I don't
> think that Gödel and Tarski were liars.
>
> There is only one correct way to deal with epistemological antinomies
> in formal proofs, recognize them and reject them as semantically
> invalid.
>
> Both Gödel and Tarski were too stupid to do that.

Nope, YOU are too stupid to understand the logic they used.

And too stupid to even understand that statement.

Perfect Dunning-Kruger example.

Re: Defining a truth predicate that correctly rejects epistemological antinomies

<urhfv6$2dvt1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8662&group=sci.logic#8662

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
antinomies
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:52:06 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 07:52 UTC

On 25/02/24 05:00, olcott wrote:
> On 2/23/2024 9:22 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> *I can't even get these people to agree that lies are not true*
>>> Epistemological antinomies must be rejected as semantically invalid
>>> input.
>>>

>> Nope, you just don't understand what people are saying.
>>
>> NO ONE claims that lies are true (except it seems you).
>>
>> Yes, Epistemological antinomies, when given to a True Predicate, get
>> "rejected" in a sense, the predicate returns FALSE.
>>
>> That doesn't mean the statement is false, just that it isn't true.
>>
>> It also doesn't mean the predicate doesn't answer.
>
> You beat Tarski at this. One of the leading experts on
> truthmaker maximalism isn't even sure that the Liar Paradox
> is not a truth bearer.

Because all logical formulas are truth bearers and the Liar Paradox is
not a logical formula.