From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Coca Cola is a light explosive ! ;)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:48:06 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 01:48 UTC

On 8/15/2022 2:50 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Long can of Coca Cola just exploded in my freezer... Wow... this was unknown to me. (It exploded after 4 hours of freezing, the top of the can ripped).
>
> A warning should be on the package, that Coca Cola is a light explosive under certain situations !
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

You're supposed to chill Coke in the milk section
of the refrigerator, to +1C.

A -15C freezer is an unnecessary risk.

If I make a -18C brine solution, and place glass
beer bottles in it, I can freeze a beer in only
one hour. As the thermal conduction of liquid
on glass, is pretty good. Bagged ice plus rock salt
(the salt used for traction), is suited to making
-18C brine solutions. A layer of ice cubes, a layer
of rock salt, a layer of ice cubes, in a picnic cooler,
makes a very cold solution for flash freezing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression

Paul

Re: Coca Cola is a light explosive ! ;)

<tdf13s$3v8cf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=872&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#872

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:58:58 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:58 UTC

On 8/15/2022 6:48 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/15/2022 2:50 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Long can of Coca Cola just exploded in my freezer... Wow... this was
>> unknown to me. (It exploded after 4 hours of freezing, the top of the
>> can ripped).
>>
>> A warning should be on the package, that Coca Cola is a light
>> explosive under certain situations !
>>
>> Bye,
>>    Skybuck.
>>

> You're supposed to chill Coke in the milk section
> of the refrigerator, to +1C.
>
> A -15C freezer is an unnecessary risk.
>
> If I make a -18C brine solution, and place glass
> beer bottles in it, I can freeze a beer in only
> one hour. As the thermal conduction of liquid
> on glass, is pretty good. Bagged ice plus rock salt
> (the salt used for traction), is suited to making
> -18C brine solutions. A layer of ice cubes, a layer
> of rock salt, a layer of ice cubes, in a picnic cooler,
> makes a very cold solution for flash freezing.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression
>
>    Paul

When I was in college in MA, I would put cokes, the tall slender thick
bottles of the era, on the sill outside of my window to chill them off
in the winter. I was immensely amused when I would pop the top of one of
those bottles and a 6 inch column of ice would slowly climb straight up
out of the bottle before it bend over and collapsed.