Send some filthy mail.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

SubjectAuthor
* what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Eli the Bearded
+* Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Knute Johnson
|`* Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Eli the Bearded
| +* Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Knute Johnson
| |`* Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?56g.1183
| | `* Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Knute Johnson
| |  `- Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?56g.1183
| `- Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Pancho
+- Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Richard Kettlewell
`- Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?Anssi Saari

1
what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<eli$2401021652@qaz.wtf>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8779&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8779

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 22:01:58 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 22:01 UTC

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html#connect-to-a-wireless-network

Previous versions of Raspberry Pi OS made use of a wpa_supplicant.conf
file which could be placed into the boot folder to configure wireless
network settings. This is no longer possible from Raspberry Pi OS
Bookworm onwards.

I have a headless pi I want to pre-configure to have wireless
networking. I can't ssh in until the wifi works. I can shut it down,
pull the SD card, mount it somewhere else and place files in /etc/.

What file in what directory for wifi? I'm using the
2023-12-11-raspios-bookworm-armhf-lite image. The device has a screen
and keyboard, but the image lacks the drivers for the screen and I need
to apt-get install them. Which is tricky when I can't ssh in or trying
to type blindly the needed commands to add a repo with the video
drivers.

The pre-configured OS for this device is buildroot which has no
compiler or build tools which is going to block me intalling the Perl
modules I need. buildroot.org helpfuly says (paraphrased) "if you want
a compiler, you want a different distro."

Elijah
------
can see where they are coming from, but still

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<un28dg$2tc06$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8780&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8780

From: gro...@585ranch.com (Knute Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:06:08 -0600
 by: Knute Johnson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:06 UTC

Use the RPi Imager to burn your uSD card and set the WiFi there.

On 1/2/2024 4:01 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html#connect-to-a-wireless-network
>
> Previous versions of Raspberry Pi OS made use of a wpa_supplicant.conf
> file which could be placed into the boot folder to configure wireless
> network settings. This is no longer possible from Raspberry Pi OS
> Bookworm onwards.
>
> I have a headless pi I want to pre-configure to have wireless
> networking. I can't ssh in until the wifi works. I can shut it down,
> pull the SD card, mount it somewhere else and place files in /etc/.
>
> What file in what directory for wifi? I'm using the
> 2023-12-11-raspios-bookworm-armhf-lite image. The device has a screen
> and keyboard, but the image lacks the drivers for the screen and I need
> to apt-get install them. Which is tricky when I can't ssh in or trying
> to type blindly the needed commands to add a repo with the video
> drivers.
>
> The pre-configured OS for this device is buildroot which has no
> compiler or build tools which is going to block me intalling the Perl
> modules I need. buildroot.org helpfuly says (paraphrased) "if you want
> a compiler, you want a different distro."
>
> Elijah
> ------
> can see where they are coming from, but still

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<eli$2401021927@qaz.wtf>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8781&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8781

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:27:50 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 00:27 UTC

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi, Knute Johnson <groups@585ranch.com> wrote:
> Use the RPi Imager to burn your uSD card and set the WiFi there.

That's not an answer to my question, which you left below because you
don't get that top-posting is evil.

I didn't use the imager because the imager wants a newer glibc than I
have installed on the system I'm using. Downloading an image and copying
it an SD card is trivial for someone well-acquainted with Unix tools, so
I didn't worry much. But I realize the imager does a bit more than
papering over the copy process. Unfortunately all of the networking
guides I can find for this system assume you are configuring it from a
running system, not in advance on the disk image. "What file, where" is
probably all the help I need. I don't want to trace the start-up process
by reading through /etc/ to figure it out from source if I don't have to.

> On 1/2/2024 4:01 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

Original post is at start of thread if people need a re-fresher.

Elijah
------
from old-school Unix

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<wwvedeyakoe.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8787&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8787

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 08:24:49 +0000
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 08:24 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> writes:
> https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html#connect-to-a-wireless-network
>
> Previous versions of Raspberry Pi OS made use of a wpa_supplicant.conf
> file which could be placed into the boot folder to configure wireless
> network settings. This is no longer possible from Raspberry Pi OS
> Bookworm onwards.
>
> I have a headless pi I want to pre-configure to have wireless
> networking. I can't ssh in until the wifi works. I can shut it down,
> pull the SD card, mount it somewhere else and place files in /etc/.
>
> What file in what directory for wifi? I'm using the
> 2023-12-11-raspios-bookworm-armhf-lite image. The device has a screen
> and keyboard, but the image lacks the drivers for the screen and I need
> to apt-get install them. Which is tricky when I can't ssh in or trying
> to type blindly the needed commands to add a repo with the video
> drivers.

If you’re really using the RPi OS then: /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

> The pre-configured OS for this device is buildroot which has no
> compiler or build tools which is going to block me intalling the Perl
> modules I need. buildroot.org helpfuly says (paraphrased) "if you want
> a compiler, you want a different distro."

So are you using the RPi OS or Buildroot?

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<sm0v88a3gdz.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8788&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8788

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:39:20 +0200
sha1:oID8lfMcxoIFHwSbtEBK7VW2AuU=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:39 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> writes:

> I have a headless pi I want to pre-configure to have wireless
> networking. I can't ssh in until the wifi works. I can shut it down,
> pull the SD card, mount it somewhere else and place files in /etc/.

Looks like it's NetworkManager that manages networking now, in the
"Raspberry Pi OS". So the config file is
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and the setup, well, I guess
I'll leave that as an exercise? See the man page.

I should have an example NetworkManager.conf on my Linux laptop which I
can share later.

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<un3ut5$38cia$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8793&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8793

From: knute2...@585ranch.com (Knute Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:36:05 -0600
 by: Knute Johnson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:36 UTC

Bite me

On 1/2/24 18:27, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In comp.sys.raspberry-pi, Knute Johnson <groups@585ranch.com> wrote:
>> Use the RPi Imager to burn your uSD card and set the WiFi there.
>
> That's not an answer to my question, which you left below because you
> don't get that top-posting is evil.

Bite me again.

> I didn't use the imager because the imager wants a newer glibc than I
> have installed on the system I'm using. Downloading an image and copying
> it an SD card is trivial for someone well-acquainted with Unix tools, so
> I didn't worry much. But I realize the imager does a bit more than
> papering over the copy process. Unfortunately all of the networking
> guides I can find for this system assume you are configuring it from a
> running system, not in advance on the disk image. "What file, where" is
> probably all the help I need. I don't want to trace the start-up process
> by reading through /etc/ to figure it out from source if I don't have to.

You got what you asked for. Quit complaining because you left out some
details.

--

Knute Johnson

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<un4e0p$3a859$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8794&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8794

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:54:02 +0000
 by: Pancho - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:54 UTC

On 03/01/2024 00:27, Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I didn't use the imager because the imager wants a newer glibc than I
> have installed on the system I'm using.

You probably have considered running The Rpi Imager as a snap or
flatpak, but just in case....

<https://snapcraft.io/rpi-imager>

<https://flathub.org/apps/org.raspberrypi.rpi-imager>

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<kuudnb4HzpqTzQv4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8798&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8798

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: 56g.1...@ztq4.net (56g.1183)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 01:28:29 -0500
 by: 56g.1183 - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 06:28 UTC

On 1/3/24 10:36 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Bite me
>
> On 1/2/24 18:27, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> In comp.sys.raspberry-pi, Knute Johnson  <groups@585ranch.com> wrote:
>>> Use the RPi Imager to burn your uSD card and set the WiFi there.
>>
>> That's not an answer to my question, which you left below because you
>> don't get that top-posting is evil.
>
> Bite me again.

Whatever happened to the pride of helping to FIND
THE ANSWER instead of petty shit about top/bottom
posting and personality issues and such ???

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<un6h51$3mgl4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8810&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8810

From: knute2...@585ranch.com (Knute Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 08:59:45 -0600
 by: Knute Johnson - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 14:59 UTC

On 1/4/24 00:28, 56g.1183 wrote:

I should have just ignored him. Sorry about that.

--

Knute Johnson

Re: what's the new way to set-up networking in an image?

<lQednQRnZfODPAr4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8816&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8816

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: 56g.1...@ztq4.net (56g.1183)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:26:38 -0500
 by: 56g.1183 - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 06:26 UTC

On 1/4/24 9:59 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 1/4/24 00:28, 56g.1183 wrote:
>

> I should have just ignored him.  Sorry about that.

Personality conflicts are easy ... staying
with The Mission is more difficult.