Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:00:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: More Mac OS fun!
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:00 UTC

On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 1:21:22 PM UTC-4, ed wrote:
> On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 10:53:46 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> > On 2021-11-04 4:52 p.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> > > Well, this has been quite a learning experience.
> > >
> > > Figured out getting the Mac to sleep and waking up from sleep with
> > > just a mouse click (on the external display) without opening it up or
> > > otherwise having to have the Mac screen in use. That took a few
> > > minutes of Google research and some System Preference fiddling. The
> > > process was far from intuitive. The HP did that by default.
> > Then that happened to be how the HP was shipped. As someone who has had
> > to turn on that feature for many people, I can assure you it is not the
> > standard.
> >
> > Furthermore, why would you WANT to close a screen you can make use of?
> >
> > Or have you never even heard of extending one's desktop?
> >
> > :-)
> With large external monitors, adding an open laptop with a different size screen, at different resolution, is often more of a pain in the butt than a benefit, and depending on he space on your desk, may not workout with another keyboard sticking out.

That second screen can be very useful. Photo of my Mac running Mac OS on my 27" monitor and Windows 11 on the Mac's screen. Parallels Coherence mode is off.

Mac mouse, keyboard and data files are all shared.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7kbJKOadtcHfX5hOtWEqhKlaM4c88CI/view?usp=sharing

If you want to run both OS and have 2 screens this is nice. Just dragged the VM to the Mac screen.

Re: More Mac OS fun!

<smmkt5$spu$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8807&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8807

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:04:37 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:04 UTC

On 2021-11-12 1:00 p.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> On Friday, November 5, 2021 at 1:21:22 PM UTC-4, ed wrote:

>>> Then that happened to be how the HP was shipped. As someone who has had
>>> to turn on that feature for many people, I can assure you it is not the
>>> standard.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, why would you WANT to close a screen you can make use of?
>>>
>>> Or have you never even heard of extending one's desktop?
>>>
>>> :-)
>> With large external monitors, adding an open laptop with a different size screen, at different resolution, is often more of a pain in the butt than a benefit, and depending on he space on your desk, may not workout with another keyboard sticking out.
>
> That second screen can be very useful. Photo of my Mac running Mac OS on my 27" monitor and Windows 11 on the Mac's screen. Parallels Coherence mode is off.
>
> Mac mouse, keyboard and data files are all shared.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7kbJKOadtcHfX5hOtWEqhKlaM4c88CI/view?usp=sharing
>
> If you want to run both OS and have 2 screens this is nice. Just dragged the VM to the Mac screen.

And only idiots wouldn't have known that was possible in the year 2021,
and would have had to go asking around to have someone else tell them...