You're dead, Jim. -- McCoy, "The Tholian Web", stardate unknown

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

SubjectAuthor
* Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
+* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
|+* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||`* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
|| `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||  `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
||   `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||    `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
||     `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||      `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
||       `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||        `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
||         `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningolcott
||          `- Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningRichard Damon
|`- Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningJeff Barnett
+* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoningAndré G. Isaak
> [...]
 |   `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [Richard Damon
 |    `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [olcott
 |     `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ computer scienceRichard Damon
 |      `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [olcott
 |       `- Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [Richard Damon
 `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [olcott
  +* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [Richard Damon
  |`* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [olcott
  | `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [Richard Damon
  |  `* Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [olcott
  |   `- Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [Richard Damon
  `- Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undisBen

Pages:123
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ computer science is inconsistent ]

<vsWfK.23702$JSxf.937@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8796&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8796

Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ computer science is inconsistent ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
References: <BYmdnex8k6nsDuP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87r14xw8d8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <NJWdnQKVkZ1EJOP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87lev5w47b.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <QOidnVv4COaIVeP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87sfpdujf0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <zaWdnfAK_d2meeP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <87mtfluh8s.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <f8ednb12fY6bb-P_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87o801t0qa.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7bedneKhFMz8vuL_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <87ilq8tu3p.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <6s-dnT3oyMZpKOL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <g3PfK.5588$56e6.2671@fx34.iad> <27mdnVT4j4ocX-L_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <YYPfK.3196$dLI5.6@fx48.iad> <daCdnWpD2cv4Q-L_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <J9VfK.572$cvmb.278@fx06.iad> <a5mdnXM0hclLuR3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:56:27 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 14 May 2022 22:56 UTC

On 5/14/22 5:53 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/14/2022 4:28 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Computable functions are the basic objects of study in computability
>>> theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
>>> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
>>> computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
>>> function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return
>>> the corresponding output.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>>
>>> The halting criteria are defined such that they diverge from the
>>> definition of a decider and they also diverge form the definition of
>>> a computable function in some rare cases. In these cases the halting
>>> criteria are incorrect.
>>
>> You just don't understand do you. The Halting Criteria is NOT defined
>> as a "Computable Function", so can't be in conflict with the
>> definition of a decider.
>
> So in this same way we can make another undecidable problem in computer
> science: there is no "box of oreos" in computer science that can compute
> the length of a finite string in the same way that there is no
> non-computation that can compute halting.

Another of your famous nonsensical diversions. Since there IS NO "box of
oreos" in Computer Science, you just committed another category error
proving you don't know what you are talking about.

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<kbudndAp1Nn8pB3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8797&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8797

Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:21:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [
Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
<1LBfK.9402$pqKf.3925@fx12.iad>
<UbqdnW1GBuPWduP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<YHCfK.9403$pqKf.3509@fx12.iad>
<aNCdnRE7BeAetOL_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<1lOfK.4918$XhAf.2155@fx39.iad>
<-Y-dndeIzo9cIuL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <2tPfK.223$hAre.146@fx08.iad>
<gcGdncKir6kKVuL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<e_QfK.3463$Q0Ef.101@fx38.iad>
<vJqdnYm7AZhleOL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<X7UfK.5029$tTK.4830@fx97.iad>
<Y72dndEZBuuehB3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<IZUfK.44156$qMI1.30042@fx96.iad>
<4vidnRzHA9cxvh3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<SmWfK.5375$x1Wf.3585@fx10.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:21 UTC

On 5/14/2022 5:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> FALSE. Where is the Collatz conjecture being True in that? (If it is)

>>> Unless you make the finite sequence from axioms to the result, you
>>> don't have a Proof.
>>>

>> So this is where correct reasoning and logic diverge on terminology.
>> When I refer to a set of connected semantic meanings this seems not
>> exactly the same thing as a proof. If this set does not exist, then
>> the expression is not true. If the set exists yet is impossible to
>> find then it is still true.
>
> So something can be "Provable" yet no "Proof" actually be findable or
> expressable?
>
> That means you might not know if you have Proven Something.

>>> Then why are you talking about fields of LOGIC?
>>
>> So that I can correct its mistakes. It has mistakes (incoherence and
>> inconsistency) baked right into the definitions of its terms of the art.
>
> So, again, your are at the wrong end. If you want to change the
> fundamental definitions, you need to be talking about the Core Logic
> rules that you think need to be changed, not try to change them in a
> derived logic system, when such a change is NOT allowed.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ computer science is inconsistent ]

<Wf6dnernkN6ooR3_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8798&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8798

Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:33:09 -0500
computer science is inconsistent ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:33 UTC

On 5/14/2022 5:56 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You just don't understand do you. The Halting Criteria is NOT defined
>>> as a "Computable Function", so can't be in conflict with the
>>> definition of a decider.
>>
>> So in this same way we can make another undecidable problem in
>> computer science: there is no "box of oreos" in computer science that
>> can compute the length of a finite string in the same way that there
>> is no non-computation that can compute halting.
>
> Another of your famous nonsensical diversions. Since there IS NO "box of
> oreos" in Computer Science, you just committed another category error
> proving you don't know what you are talking about.

In this same way requiring a non-computation to compute is an incorrect
problem definition.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<BgXfK.1974$NMxb.1827@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8799&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8799

Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 19:52:02 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:52 UTC

On 5/14/22 7:21 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/14/2022 5:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So this is where correct reasoning and logic diverge on terminology.
>>> When I refer to a set of connected semantic meanings this seems not
>>> exactly the same thing as a proof. If this set does not exist, then
>>> the expression is not true. If the set exists yet is impossible to
>>> find then it is still true.
>>
>> So something can be "Provable" yet no "Proof" actually be findable or
>> expressable?
>>
>> That means you might not know if you have Proven Something.

>>> So that I can correct its mistakes. It has mistakes (incoherence and
>>> inconsistency) baked right into the definitions of its terms of the art.
>>
>> So, again, your are at the wrong end. If you want to change the
>> fundamental definitions, you need to be talking about the Core Logic
>> rules that you think need to be changed, not try to change them in a
>> derived logic system, when such a change is NOT allowed.
>
> We cannot correctly label any analytical expression of language as true
> unless and until:
> (1) It has been stipulated to be true.
>
> (2) a connected set of semantic meanings back-chain to expressions of
> language that have been stipulated to be true.
> This is the same system that Prolog uses.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ computer science is inconsistent ]

<BhXfK.1975$NMxb.1577@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8800&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8800

computer science is inconsistent ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 19:53:06 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:53 UTC

On 5/14/22 7:33 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/14/2022 5:56 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So in this same way we can make another undecidable problem in
>>> computer science: there is no "box of oreos" in computer science that
>>> can compute the length of a finite string in the same way that there
>>> is no non-computation that can compute halting.
>>
>> Another of your famous nonsensical diversions. Since there IS NO "box
>> of oreos" in Computer Science, you just committed another category
>> error proving you don't know what you are talking about.
>
> In this same way requiring a non-computation to compute is an incorrect
> problem definition.

Nope, just you making Herring in Red sauce.

You are just proving your ignorance.

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<qYednSst4_Dh4R3_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8801&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8801

Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:07:23 -0500
Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 15 May 2022 04:07 UTC

On 5/14/2022 6:52 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So something can be "Provable" yet no "Proof" actually be findable or
>>> expressable?
>>>
>>> That means you might not know if you have Proven Something.

>>> So, again, your are at the wrong end. If you want to change the
>>> fundamental definitions, you need to be talking about the Core Logic
>>> rules that you think need to be changed, not try to change them in a
>>> derived logic system, when such a change is NOT allowed.
>>
>> We cannot correctly label any analytical expression of language as
>> true unless and until:
>> (1) It has been stipulated to be true.
>>
>> (2) a connected set of semantic meanings back-chain to expressions of
>> language that have been stipulated to be true.
>> This is the same system that Prolog uses.
>
> Source for this "Claim". It can not be labeld "Analytically True", yes,
> but nothing says it can not be True. (If we can't prove it True we can
> not use it to actually directly prove something else, but it can be True).
>
> You seem to be saying that the Collatz conjecture can not have a Truth
> Value, because it has not been proven, even though it can be proven that
> it must be either True of False?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<_h5gK.6869$j0D5.2592@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8802&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8802

Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:16:10 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:16 UTC

On 5/15/22 12:07 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/14/2022 6:52 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> We cannot correctly label any analytical expression of language as
>>> true unless and until:
>>> (1) It has been stipulated to be true.
>>>
>>> (2) a connected set of semantic meanings back-chain to expressions of
>>> language that have been stipulated to be true.
>>> This is the same system that Prolog uses.
>>
>> Source for this "Claim". It can not be labeld "Analytically True",
>> yes, but nothing says it can not be True. (If we can't prove it True
>> we can not use it to actually directly prove something else, but it
>> can be True).
>>
>> You seem to be saying that the Collatz conjecture can not have a Truth
>> Value, because it has not been proven, even though it can be proven
>> that it must be either True of False?
>>

> It can only be declared as having an unknown truth value.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<p4KdnYplOu1F_Bn_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8807&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8807

Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 22:02:47 -0500
previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 18 May 2022 03:02 UTC

On 5/15/2022 7:18 AM, Ben wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> So you believe it is possible for a function D to be written such that
>>> D(X,Y) == true if and only of X(Y) halts and false otherwise?
>>
>> In the same way that a TM can use a "box of oreos" to compute the
>> length of a finite string a non-computation can compute the halt
>> status of a non-input.
>>
>> The HP is defined incorrectly. It cannot be about computations, it
>> must be about the computations that inputs specify.
>
> The two pointers X and Y can be taken to specify a function call X(Y).

Not when they are correctly simulated by H.

> That's what they specify in the call D(X,Y) that you are trying so hard
> to avoid taking about. What you take them to specify in a call to your
> H is not interesting.
>
> Your H is boring because "the computations that input specify" are so
> limited. Many simple computations consisting of one pointer called with
> the other as an argument can't be specified at all (apparently) so you
> should probably stop wasting time on your H.
>
> Either there can be a function D such that D(X,Y) == false if and only
> of the computation, X(Y), specified by those "inputs" does not halt, or
> there can't be. But even after 18 years of what you call "research" you
> won't dare hazard a guess about the possible existence of such an
> important algorithm!

You continue to push the nutty idea that the halt decider is required to
"compute" on non-computation.

Computable functions are the basic objects of study in computability
theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return the
corresponding output. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<WsudnRqCqbhp_hn_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8808&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8808

Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 22:11:47 -0500
Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 18 May 2022 03:11 UTC

On 5/15/2022 6:16 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Source for this "Claim". It can not be labeld "Analytically True",
>>> yes, but nothing says it can not be True. (If we can't prove it True
>>> we can not use it to actually directly prove something else, but it
>>> can be True).
>>>
>>> You seem to be saying that the Collatz conjecture can not have a
>>> Truth Value, because it has not been proven, even though it can be
>>> proven that it must be either True of False?
>>>

>> It can only be declared as having an unknown truth value.
>>

> Which means it HAS a truth value of True or False but we don't know which.
>
> That is VERY difffernt then it having neither, which is what you have
> been claimiing (or at least what your words meant).

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<HL4hK.9995$dLI5.9942@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8810&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8810

Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 07:28:39 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 May 2022 11:28 UTC

<RC5hK.33657$6dof.20351@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8811&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8811

previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:27:29 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 May 2022 12:27 UTC

On 5/17/22 11:02 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/15/2022 7:18 AM, Ben wrote:
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> In the same way that a TM can use a "box of oreos" to compute the
>>> length of a finite string a non-computation can compute the halt
>>> status of a non-input.
>>>
>>> The HP is defined incorrectly. It cannot be about computations, it
>>> must be about the computations that inputs specify.
>>
>> The two pointers X and Y can be taken to specify a function call X(Y).
>
> Not when they are correctly simulated by H.
>
>> That's what they specify in the call D(X,Y) that you are trying so hard
>> to avoid taking about.  What you take them to specify in a call to your
>> H is not interesting.
>>
>> Your H is boring because "the computations that input specify" are so
>> limited.  Many simple computations consisting of one pointer called with
>> the other as an argument can't be specified at all (apparently) so you
>> should probably stop wasting time on your H.
>>
>> Either there can be a function D such that D(X,Y) == false if and only
>> of the computation, X(Y), specified by those "inputs" does not halt, or
>> there can't be.  But even after 18 years of what you call "research" you
>> won't dare hazard a guess about the possible existence of such an
>> important algorithm!
>
> You continue to push the nutty idea that the halt decider is required to
> "compute" on non-computation.
>
> Computable functions are the basic objects of study in computability
> theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
> computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
> function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return the
> corresponding output. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function

If H^ is not a computation, then H isn't either.

You are just proving that you don't understand what this topic is about.

It has been shown that you can convert ANY Turing Machine to a
representation, and the input to H is defined as a Representation of a
Turing Machine.

If you arguement is that you can't decide on the behavior of a Turing
Machine just from a representation of it as a computation, then you are
just agreeing that the Halting Problem IS impossible to "Compute" even
if you don't understand that is what you are saying.

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<_MSdnQBkFdOulxj_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8813&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8813

Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:01:06 -0500
Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:01 UTC

On 5/18/2022 6:28 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 5/17/22 11:11 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> Which means it HAS a truth value of True or False but we don't know
>>> which.
>>>
>>> That is VERY difffernt then it having neither, which is what you have
>>> been claimiing (or at least what your words meant).
>>>

>> Unless and Until a (possibly unknown) connection exists between an
>> expression of language back-chained by sound deductive inference steps
>> to known truth, the expression is not true.
>>
>>> This shows your confusion between Truth and Knowledge.
>>>
>>> Truth is about what actually IS
>>>
>>> Knowledge is about what we know about what is.
>>
>> None-the-less the sequence of inference steps must exist, analytical
>> truth is parasitic.
>>

> Absolutely NOT. There does NOT need to be proof that something is true.
>
> IF you want to claim that, by YOUR definition, you need to actually
> PROVE it.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<87k0aiq34f.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8814&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8814

Followup: comp.theory
From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:20:16 +0100
<7bedneKhFMz8vuL_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<87ilq8tu3p.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<6s-dnT3oyMZpKOL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87v8u7snuk.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<kKOdnVKlQvjSpx3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87pmkfrnto.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<p4KdnYplOu1F_Bn_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Ben - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:20 UTC

olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

> On 5/15/2022 7:18 AM, Ben wrote:
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> In the same way that a TM can use a "box of oreos" to compute the
>>> length of a finite string a non-computation can compute the halt
>>> status of a non-input.
>>>
>>> The HP is defined incorrectly. It cannot be about computations, it
>>> must be about the computations that inputs specify.
>>
>> The two pointers X and Y can be taken to specify a function call X(Y).
>
> Not when they are correctly simulated by H.

Then H is not a halt decider:

>> That's what they specify in the call D(X,Y) that you are trying so hard
>> to avoid taking about.

> You continue to push the nutty idea that the halt decider is required to
> "compute" on non-computation.

X(Y) is a computation entirely determined by the data to be found at X
and Y (and possibly by following further links from that data). The two
"input" pointers specify, without any ambiguity, the computation that D
is supposed to tell up about (and which you now accept, albeit
implicitly, that it can't).

No one cares about anything else that can be determined by examining X
and Y other than whether the call X(Y) is finite or not. At least you
are now 100% clear that H is not deciding anything we care about.

--
Ben.
"le génie humain a des limites, quand la bêtise humaine n’en a pas"

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<WNWdnTE3x_87jxj_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8815&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8815

Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:37:09 -0500
previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
<87pmkfrnto.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <p4KdnYplOu1F_Bn_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<RC5hK.33657$6dof.20351@fx13.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:37 UTC

On 5/18/2022 7:27 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 5/17/22 11:02 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> The two pointers X and Y can be taken to specify a function call X(Y).
>>
>> Not when they are correctly simulated by H.
>>
>>> That's what they specify in the call D(X,Y) that you are trying so hard
>>> to avoid taking about.  What you take them to specify in a call to your
>>> H is not interesting.
>>>
>>> Your H is boring because "the computations that input specify" are so
>>> limited.  Many simple computations consisting of one pointer called with
>>> the other as an argument can't be specified at all (apparently) so you
>>> should probably stop wasting time on your H.
>>>
>>> Either there can be a function D such that D(X,Y) == false if and only
>>> of the computation, X(Y), specified by those "inputs" does not halt, or
>>> there can't be.  But even after 18 years of what you call "research" you
>>> won't dare hazard a guess about the possible existence of such an
>>> important algorithm!
>>
>> You continue to push the nutty idea that the halt decider is required to
>> "compute" on non-computation.
>>
>> Computable functions are the basic objects of study in computability
>> theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
>> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
>> computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
>> function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return the
>> corresponding output. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>

> If H^ is not a computation, then H isn't either.

H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation.

> You are just proving that you don't understand what this topic is about.
>
> It has been shown that you can convert ANY Turing Machine to a
> representation, and the input to H is defined as a Representation of a
> Turing Machine.

int sum(int x, int y)
{ return x + y;
}

H(P,P) (a dependent computation) cannot report on P(P) an independent
computation in the same way that sum(3,4) cannot report on sum(8,7).

> If you arguement is that you can't decide on the behavior of a Turing
> Machine just from a representation of it as a computation, then you are
> just agreeing that the Halting Problem IS impossible to "Compute" even
> if you don't understand that is what you are saying.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<q0fhK.10714$tTK.8803@fx97.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8817&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8817

previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:09:09 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:09 UTC

On 5/18/22 11:37 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 7:27 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Not when they are correctly simulated by H.

>>> You continue to push the nutty idea that the halt decider is required to
>>> "compute" on non-computation.
>>>
>>> Computable functions are the basic objects of study in computability
>>> theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
>>> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
>>> computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
>>> function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return
>>> the corresponding output.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>>

>> If H^ is not a computation, then H isn't either.
>>

> H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation.

Only if H isn't a Halting Decider.

Since P(P) halts when H(P,P) is 0, it CAN'T be correct.

DEFINITION.

>> You are just proving that you don't understand what this topic is about.
>>
>> It has been shown that you can convert ANY Turing Machine to a
>> representation, and the input to H is defined as a Representation of a
>> Turing Machine.
>>

> int sum(int x, int y)
> {
>   return x + y;
> }
>

> H(P,P) (a dependent computation) cannot report on P(P) an independent
> computation in the same way that sum(3,4) cannot report on sum(8,7).

So you ADMIT that there is a compuation that H can't give the answer to
the Halting Problem?

That just PROVES the Theorem you are trying to disprove.

>> If you arguement is that you can't decide on the behavior of a Turing
>> Machine just from a representation of it as a computation, then you
>> are just agreeing that the Halting Problem IS impossible to "Compute"
>> even if you don't understand that is what you are saying.

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<gOidnbxCVp5YHxj_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8818&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8818

Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 18:35:33 -0500
previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:35 UTC

On 5/18/2022 6:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 5/18/22 11:37 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> If H^ is not a computation, then H isn't either.
>>>

>> H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation.
>
> Only if H isn't a Halting Decider.

Your definition of halt decider contradicts the definition of a decider
and also contradicts the definition of a computation, thus is incorrect.

When we restrict the definition of a halt decider to a computation then
H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation by a decider.

a function is computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the
job of the function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can
return the corresponding output.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function

> Since P(P) halts when H(P,P) is 0, it CAN'T be correct.
>
> DEFINITION.
>

>>> You are just proving that you don't understand what this topic is about.
>>>
>>> It has been shown that you can convert ANY Turing Machine to a
>>> representation, and the input to H is defined as a Representation of
>>> a Turing Machine.
>>>

>> int sum(int x, int y)
>> {
>>    return x + y;
>> }
>>

>> H(P,P) (a dependent computation) cannot report on P(P) an independent
>> computation in the same way that sum(3,4) cannot report on sum(8,7).
>
> So you ADMIT that there is a compuation that H can't give the answer to
> the Halting Problem?
>
> That just PROVES the Theorem you are trying to disprove.
> >>
>>> If you arguement is that you can't decide on the behavior of a Turing
>>> Machine just from a representation of it as a computation, then you
>>> are just agreeing that the Halting Problem IS impossible to "Compute"
>>> even if you don't understand that is what you are saying.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )

<hJfhK.61519$qMI1.1844@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8820&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8820

Wittgenstein and I ]( Prolog backchaining )
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,comp.lang.prolog
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:57:00 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:57 UTC

On 5/18/22 11:01 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 6:28 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Unless and Until a (possibly unknown) connection exists between an
>>> expression of language back-chained by sound deductive inference
>>> steps to known truth, the expression is not true.

>>> None-the-less the sequence of inference steps must exist, analytical
>>> truth is parasitic.
>>>

>> Absolutely NOT. There does NOT need to be proof that something is true.
>>
>> IF you want to claim that, by YOUR definition, you need to actually
>> PROVE it.
>>

> “Analytic” sentences, such as “Pediatricians are doctors,” have
> historically been characterized as ones that are true by virtue of the
> meanings of their words alone and/or can be known to be so solely by
> knowing those meanings.
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/analytic-synthetic/
>
> Every analytic expression of language (including math and logic) must be
> connected to it meaning showing that it is true OR IT IS NOT TRUE.
>
> Expressions of language that are not connected to their meaning are
> meaningless thus neither true nor false.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Correcting logic to make it a system of correct reasoning [ previously undiscovered rare cases ]

<GOfhK.33762$6dof.26744@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8821&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8821

previously undiscovered rare cases ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:02:46 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 19 May 2022 00:02 UTC

On 5/18/22 7:35 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 6:09 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation.
>>
>> Only if H isn't a Halting Decider.
>>

> Your definition of halt decider contradicts the definition of a decider
> and also contradicts the definition of a computation, thus is incorrect.

HOW?

A decider is a computation that halts for all inputs.

A Computation is a merely a model of calculation based on a well defined
algorithm.

> When we restrict the definition of a halt decider to a computation then
> H(P,P)==0 is a correct computation by a decider.

But that IS the question, can you actually make a Computation that can
decide on the Halting Function. You don't get to change the Halting
Function, you either get to make a Computation/Decider that computes it
or you admit that it isn't possible.

THAT IS the question.

> a function is computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the
> job of the function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can
> return the corresponding output.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function

Right, an the question is is that mapping of (M,w) to the Halting Status
of M applied to w computable.

If you say it can't be done because that mapping contradicts the meaning
of a decider/compuation, then the answer is NO, the Halting Function is
NOT computable.

>> Since P(P) halts when H(P,P) is 0, it CAN'T be correct.
>>
>> DEFINITION.

>>> int sum(int x, int y)
>>> {
>>>    return x + y;
>>> }
>>>

>>> H(P,P) (a dependent computation) cannot report on P(P) an independent
>>> computation in the same way that sum(3,4) cannot report on sum(8,7).
>>
>> So you ADMIT that there is a compuation that H can't give the answer
>> to the Halting Problem?
>>
>> That just PROVES the Theorem you are trying to disprove.

Yep, you are just proving that which you try to disprove by your own
arguements.

If we can't even try to define a decider to do the job, then it can't be
done.