The only thing worse than X Windows: (X Windows) - X

computers / comp.periphs.printers / Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

SubjectAuthor
* Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWade Garrett
+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWolffan
|+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWade Garrett
||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
||+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessPercival John Hackworth
|||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessDr Eberhard W Lisse
||| `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessPercival John Hackworth
|||  +* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  | `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  |   `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |    `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
|||   `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessStuart
|||    `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWolffan
||`- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
|`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
| `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelesspaul
|  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
|   `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelesspaul
+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessBennett Price
`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Wade Garrett
 +- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Dr Eberhard Lisse
 +- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'nospam
 +* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Wolffan
 |`- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Dr Eberhard W Lisse
 `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!Wade Garrett
  `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!Lewis

Pages:12
Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=84&group=comp.periphs.printers#84

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 09:37:39 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 13:37 UTC

I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.

I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
into the house.

So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<050720211028232490%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=85&group=comp.periphs.printers#85

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:28:23 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:28 UTC

In article <sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>
> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> into the house.
>
> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?

the router needs to be able to act as a client bridge. not all can, but
assuming it does, you have it join the existing wifi network with the
printer connected to one of the lan ports. if it can't, you will need
another router than can, a dedicated client bridge or a new printer
with wifi. in general, travel routers can do it because it's common to
join the hotel's wifi and relay it locally.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<0001HW.2693538D0CE0D5D470000E29138F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=86&group=comp.periphs.printers#86

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:49:49 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:49 UTC

On 2021 Jul 05, Wade Garrett wrote
(in article <sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>):

> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>
> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> into the house.
>
> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?

If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or there’s
a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
wireless clients.

1 put printer on Ethernet connection to main router. Typical twisted-pair
Ethernet has a max segment length of 100 metres, that should be plenty for
most houses. I have my main router downstairs near the AT&T demarc, and have
run 1000baseT Ethernet to two 8-port switches, feeding various devices,
including two printers, and have a wireless extender on the upper floor to
feed wireless.

2 connect the wireless clients to the network. The printer should show up.

Do NOT use a second wireless-capable router unless the second router is
connected in bridge mode, preferably by Ethernet. You’ll either have two
wireless networks, one of which is not connected to the Internet, or possible
DHCP issues. And problematic Internet connections.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sbv6ok$6tn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=87&group=comp.periphs.printers#87

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 10:59:31 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:59 UTC

On 7/5/21 10:49 AM, Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 05, Wade Garrett wrote
> (in article <sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>>
>> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
>> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
>> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
>> into the house.
>>
>> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>
> If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or there’s
> a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
> wireless clients.
>
> 1 put printer on Ethernet connection to main router. Typical twisted-pair
> Ethernet has a max segment length of 100 metres, that should be plenty for
> most houses. I have my main router downstairs near the AT&T demarc, and have
> run 1000baseT Ethernet to two 8-port switches, feeding various devices,
> including two printers, and have a wireless extender on the upper floor to
> feed wireless.
>
> 2 connect the wireless clients to the network. The printer should show up.
>
> Do NOT use a second wireless-capable router unless the second router is
> connected in bridge mode, preferably by Ethernet. You’ll either have two
> wireless networks, one of which is not connected to the Internet, or possible
> DHCP issues. And problematic Internet connections.

The printer is not on the network. It's connected directly to my desktop
computer by a cable. The main router is several rooms away and
connecting it to the printer by Ethernet cable is not feasible.

I'll fool with setting the second router to bridge mode-- but won't be
able to try that until tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<050720211102305282%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=88&group=comp.periphs.printers#88

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 11:02:30 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 15:02 UTC

In article <0001HW.2693538D0CE0D5D470000E29138F@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

> > I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
> >
> > I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> > be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> > away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> > into the house.
> >
> > So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>
> If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or there¹s
> a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
> wireless clients.

i don't think he would be asking if it was already connected to the
network.

another option is use a pair of adapters that link ethernet to the
mains wiring in the walls. put one where the gateway is and the other
at the printer. they're more than fast enough for printing.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<050720211107353583%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=89&group=comp.periphs.printers#89

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 11:07:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 15:07 UTC

In article <sbv6ok$6tn$1@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

> I'll fool with setting the second router to bridge mode-- but won't be
> able to try that until tomorrow.

it needs wifi client mode, otherwise it won't be able to join the
existing wifi network, as a typical wifi client would.

travel routers, which are small and sometimes have their own battery,
can usually do that (but not all), while normal routers generally don't
unless an alternate firmware is installed.

as i mentioned in another post, it might be a lot easier to get a pair
of ethernet over powerline adapters.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<ikgpprFgvm7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=90&group=comp.periphs.printers#90

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 5 Jul 2021 16:20:11 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 16:20 UTC

On 05-Jul-2021 at 7:59:31AM PDT, "Wade Garrett" <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

> On 7/5/21 10:49 AM, Wolffan wrote:
>> On 2021 Jul 05, Wade Garrett wrote
>> (in article <sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>):
>>
>>> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>>>
>>> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
>>> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
>>> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
>>> into the house.
>>>
>>> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>>
>> If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or there’s
>> a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
>> wireless clients.
>>
>> 1 put printer on Ethernet connection to main router. Typical twisted-pair
>> Ethernet has a max segment length of 100 metres, that should be plenty for
>> most houses. I have my main router downstairs near the AT&T demarc, and have
>> run 1000baseT Ethernet to two 8-port switches, feeding various devices,
>> including two printers, and have a wireless extender on the upper floor to
>> feed wireless.
>>
>> 2 connect the wireless clients to the network. The printer should show up.
>>
>> Do NOT use a second wireless-capable router unless the second router is
>> connected in bridge mode, preferably by Ethernet. You’ll either have two
>> wireless networks, one of which is not connected to the Internet, or possible
>> DHCP issues. And problematic Internet connections.
>>
> The printer is not on the network. It's connected directly to my desktop
> computer by a cable. The main router is several rooms away and
> connecting it to the printer by Ethernet cable is not feasible.
>
> I'll fool with setting the second router to bridge mode-- but won't be
> able to try that until tomorrow.
>

> Thanks for the tips.

Since it's connected directly to your system, it lacks the ability to queue
print jobs. Why not get a Rasberry Pi and set it up as a print server? This
assumes that your printer isn't a Windows-only printer requiring Windows to
print anything. If that's the case, toss it and buy a network capable printer.
It will be cheaper than buying a Windows license for a Rasberry Pi, installing
W10 on it, and using that as a print server.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<14-dnf6VtP6dp379nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=91&group=comp.periphs.printers#91

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bjpr...@cal.berkeley.edu (Bennett Price)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 09:57:38 -0700
 by: Bennett Price - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 16:57 UTC

On 7/5/2021 6:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>
> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> into the house.
>
> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?

since the printer has a usb port, consider getting a wifi-usb print
server, e.g.,
https://www.amazon.com/usb-print-server/s?k=usb+print+server

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<0001HW.269377460CE9354D70000D95B38F@news.supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=92&group=comp.periphs.printers#92

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 13:22:14 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 17:22 UTC

On 2021 Jul 05, Wade Garrett wrote
(in article <sbv6ok$6tn$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 7/5/21 10:49 AM, Wolffan wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 05, Wade Garrett wrote
> > (in article <sbv1v4$3ac$1@dont-email.me>):
> >
> > > I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
> > >
> > > I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> > > be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> > > away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> > > into the house.
> > >
> > > So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
> >
> > If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or
> > there’s
> > a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
> > wireless clients.
> >
> > 1 put printer on Ethernet connection to main router. Typical twisted-pair
> > Ethernet has a max segment length of 100 metres, that should be plenty for
> > most houses. I have my main router downstairs near the AT&T demarc, and have
> > run 1000baseT Ethernet to two 8-port switches, feeding various devices,
> > including two printers, and have a wireless extender on the upper floor to
> > feed wireless.
> >
> > 2 connect the wireless clients to the network. The printer should show up.
> >
> > Do NOT use a second wireless-capable router unless the second router is
> > connected in bridge mode, preferably by Ethernet. You’ll either have two
> > wireless networks, one of which is not connected to the Internet, or
> > possible
> > DHCP issues. And problematic Internet connections.
> The printer is not on the network. It's connected directly to my desktop
> computer by a cable. The main router is several rooms away and
> connecting it to the printer by Ethernet cable is not feasible.

turn on print/file sharing. Note that if the computer the printer’s
connected to is off or asleep, the printer won’t be available. Note that
all print jobs go via the computer, which might slow larger print jobs down.

> I'll fool with setting the second router to bridge mode-- but won't be
> able to try that until tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for the tips.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<87h7h81rlb.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=93&group=comp.periphs.printers#93

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 15:35:44 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 19:35 UTC

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 10:59:31 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

> On 7/5/21 10:49 AM, Wolffan wrote:
>
>>> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>> If the printer is on the network, and if the router has wireless or
>> there’s
>> a wireless access point on the network, then the printer will be visible to
>> wireless clients.
>> 1 put printer on Ethernet connection to main router. Typical
>> twisted-pair
>> Ethernet has a max segment length of 100 metres, that should be plenty for
>> most houses. I have my main router downstairs near the AT&T demarc, and have
>> run 1000baseT Ethernet to two 8-port switches, feeding various devices,
>> including two printers, and have a wireless extender on the upper floor to
>> feed wireless.
>> 2 connect the wireless clients to the network. The printer should
>> show up.
>> Do NOT use a second wireless-capable router unless the second router
>> is
>> connected in bridge mode, preferably by Ethernet. You’ll either have two
>> wireless networks, one of which is not connected to the Internet, or possible
>> DHCP issues. And problematic Internet connections.
>>
> The printer is not on the network. It's connected directly to my
> desktop computer by a cable. The main router is several rooms away and
> connecting it to the printer by Ethernet cable is not feasible.
>
> I'll fool with setting the second router to bridge mode-- but won't be
> able to try that until tomorrow.

Substituting Ethernet with USB here, I connected the only USB capable
printer to my (Linux) PC, which has otherwise access to my cable modem
via Ethernet, and launched hostapd, to make the PC a WIFI master
node. Using CUPS I shared the print service to devices connected to it.

I suppose you can somehow do this with other operating systems
too. Apparently you use a MAC (since also posting in a MAC group). CUPS
is an Apple application (although it made it to the main print service in
Linux), so from the MAC point of view CUPS should be the answer.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<slrnse72cq.26p.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=94&group=comp.periphs.printers#94

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:37:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:37 UTC

In message <ikgpprFgvm7U1@mid.individual.net> Percival John Hackworth <pjh@nanoworks.com> wrote:
> Since it's connected directly to your system, it lacks the ability to queue
> print jobs.

Nonsense.

--
But of course there were the rules. Everyone knew there were rules.
They just had to hope like Hell that the gods knew the rules,

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<ikhi6iFlflvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=95&group=comp.periphs.printers#95

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 01:16:32 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:16 UTC

This is not correct, per se.

You can of course queue from the system. And you can share it so that
it's seen on the network.

I have a Canon MF8200C, which is connected to my Mac which is on a
different network than my WiFi, to which the printer also connects. On
the WiFi it is seen via Airprint and printing works from those laptops
that have found and installed Canon's driver.

Google is your friend, by the way.

el

On 2021-07-05 18:20 , Percival John Hackworth wrote:
[...]
> Since it's connected directly to your system, it lacks the ability to
> queue print jobs.
[...]

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<iki2j1FoajnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=96&group=comp.periphs.printers#96

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 6 Jul 2021 03:56:17 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 03:56 UTC

On 05-Jul-2021 at 4:16:32PM PDT, "Dr Eberhard W Lisse" <nospam@lisse.NA>
wrote:

> This is not correct, per se.
>
> You can of course queue from the system. And you can share it so that
> it's seen on the network.
>
> I have a Canon MF8200C, which is connected to my Mac which is on a
> different network than my WiFi, to which the printer also connects. On
> the WiFi it is seen via Airprint and printing works from those laptops
> that have found and installed Canon's driver.
>
> Google is your friend, by the way.
>
> el
>
> On 2021-07-05 18:20 , Percival John Hackworth wrote:
> [...]
>> Since it's connected directly to your system, it lacks the ability to
>> queue print jobs.
> [...]

When I wrote that, I was specifically thinking of a Windows-only USB printer.
Does W10 allow you to share a connected printer so that others on the network
can see it and print jobs to it? That'd be news to me.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sc0mul$agu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=97&group=comp.periphs.printers#97

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 21:41:56 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 04:41 UTC

On 2021-07-05 8:56 p.m., Percival John Hackworth wrote:
> On 05-Jul-2021 at 4:16:32PM PDT, "Dr Eberhard W Lisse" <nospam@lisse.NA>
> wrote:
>
>> This is not correct, per se.
>>
>> You can of course queue from the system. And you can share it so that
>> it's seen on the network.
>>
>> I have a Canon MF8200C, which is connected to my Mac which is on a
>> different network than my WiFi, to which the printer also connects. On
>> the WiFi it is seen via Airprint and printing works from those laptops
>> that have found and installed Canon's driver.
>>
>> Google is your friend, by the way.
>>
>> el
>>
>> On 2021-07-05 18:20 , Percival John Hackworth wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Since it's connected directly to your system, it lacks the ability to
>>> queue print jobs.
>> [...]
>
> When I wrote that, I was specifically thinking of a Windows-only USB printer.
> Does W10 allow you to share a connected printer so that others on the network
> can see it and print jobs to it? That'd be news to me.

Ummmm... ...yes.

If that's news to you, that's very sad.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<slrnse8lk3.9kq.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=98&group=comp.periphs.printers#98

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:11:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 13:11 UTC

In message <sc0mul$agu$1@dont-email.me> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
> On 2021-07-05 8:56 p.m., Percival John Hackworth wrote:
>> On 05-Jul-2021 at 4:16:32PM PDT, "Dr Eberhard W Lisse" <nospam@lisse.NA>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is not correct, per se.
>>>
>>> You can of course queue from the system. And you can share it so that
>>> it's seen on the network.
>>>
>>> I have a Canon MF8200C, which is connected to my Mac which is on a
>>> different network than my WiFi, to which the printer also connects. On
>>> the WiFi it is seen via Airprint and printing works from those laptops
>>> that have found and installed Canon's driver.
>>>
>>> Google is your friend, by the way.
>>>
>>> el
>>>
>>> On 2021-07-05 18:20 , Percival John Hackworth wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>
>> When I wrote that, I was specifically thinking of a Windows-only USB printer.
>> Does W10 allow you to share a connected printer so that others on the network
>> can see it and print jobs to it? That'd be news to me.
>>

> Ummmm... ...yes.

Sometimes. Other times you cannot even print to your directly connected
printer. Because Windows. (My most frequent tech calls are "I can't
access the network shares" and "I can't print". Everything was working a
few minutes previous to the call, but now it's tuts up.

> If that's news to you, that's very sad.

Not really, it just means you have lived a happy life of not having to
deal with Winshit.

--
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I
ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sc22he$fri$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=99&group=comp.periphs.printers#99

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 19:06:01 +0200
 by: paul - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 17:06 UTC

nospam wrote on 05.07.2021 10:02
> i don't think he would be asking if it was already connected to the
> network.

The OP should be able to connect any computer's Ethernet output to a
transceiver which can beam his signal literally for miles if he needs to.

*Connecting to an access point only a few hundred feet away is child's play*
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.internet.wireless/c/Dpk9EhVreJk/m/Oyb-fuORDQAJ

A ng which has the most knowledge wouldn't likely be any Mac group though.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.internet.wireless
--
<https://i.postimg.cc/05S6CtNn/align03.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/0NYJn7mF/nanobridge-nanobeam.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/25NdBZ7f/horn-to-router.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/25v3FT6S/debug-on-android.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/6QJqK6Cj/desktop02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/6QQ2Lt74/align02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/905nFgxX/nanobeamnanobridge.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/bNMMZ0Nv/wifi-speed.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Bv0wZbDh/pbe-m2-400-802-11-wifi-setting.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZrZpDyp/debug-apps.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/cHLndnbY/antenna.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/CLBXc080/antenna03.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/D0vfqM3p/horns.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/DfQJq437/mikrotikrouter.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZccY2YD/decibels.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dzq9Bsjs/pb-m2-400-nanobeam.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/FRqR6DSq/android-wifi-analyzer.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcBWpxnV/pbe-m2-400-bridge-router.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Gh22Sb2N/desktop.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/GpCG1H3G/airviewneedsjava.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Hs0NWSKr/laptopnanobeam.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/htQ469sQ/pbe-m2-400-ap-station.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/JhyCRT69/horn-to-switch.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/JzpthvTr/align04.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/kg5LKkz9/pbe-m2-400-airmax-setting.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/nrkz5mgs/antenna01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLXCzFxC/powerbeam-nanobeam.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMNv5FBC/typical-range-ptp.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2c2L8Wd/mikrotik-router.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/sfkHW6WG/align.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/SK04C6zL/ubiquiti-bullet-M2-hp.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/tCxLW2ZN/align01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/vT0Krpfc/laptop-nanobeam-horn.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/VvqLKQtQ/wifi.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJChDCPr/spare-access-points.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/yNXw0TZS/antenna02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/YqTk0q1T/ap.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/yx4CgWYt/mikrotik-router-config.jpg>
<https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/rocketdish/rd_ds_web.pdf
<https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/rocketm/RocketM_DS.pdf

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sc22se$tlv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=100&group=comp.periphs.printers#100

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 10:11:42 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 17:11 UTC

On 2021-07-06 6:11 a.m., Lewis wrote:
> In message <sc0mul$agu$1@dont-email.me> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
>> On 2021-07-05 8:56 p.m., Percival John Hackworth wrote:

>>> When I wrote that, I was specifically thinking of a Windows-only USB printer.
>>> Does W10 allow you to share a connected printer so that others on the network
>>> can see it and print jobs to it? That'd be news to me.
>>>

>> Ummmm... ...yes.
>
> Sometimes. Other times you cannot even print to your directly connected
> printer. Because Windows. (My most frequent tech calls are "I can't
> access the network shares" and "I can't print". Everything was working a
> few minutes previous to the call, but now it's tuts up.

Regardless of whether or not it's working properly, Windows 10 does
ALLOW printer sharing.

>> If that's news to you, that's very sad.
>
> Not really, it just means you have lived a happy life of not having to
> deal with Winshit.

Not knowing that Windows has supported printer sharing since forever?

Really?

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<875yxn1gf0.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=101&group=comp.periphs.printers#101

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 13:49:23 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 17:49 UTC

On 6 Jul 2021 03:56:17 GMT, Percival John Hackworth wrote:

> Does W10 allow you to share a connected printer so that others on the network
> can see it and print jobs to it? That'd be news to me.

Can't tell for Windows 10. But when I ran Windows 7 (even emulated in
Linux) there was an option somewhere to share it to the network. CUPS
running on the Linux host could also see it. Unless that was removed in
subsequent Windows versions, Windows 10 can.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<5947e9eb2fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.periphs.printers#102

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 19:46:57 +0100
 by: Stuart - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 18:46 UTC

In article <875yxn1gf0.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Can't tell for Windows 10. But when I ran Windows 7 (even emulated in
> Linux) there was an option somewhere to share it to the network. CUPS
> running on the Linux host could also see it. Unless that was removed in
> subsequent Windows versions, Windows 10 can.

I've been running a shared printer on W7 pro (Dell Laser) for years.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<060720211554425722%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=103&group=comp.periphs.printers#103

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 15:54:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 19:54 UTC

In article <sc22he$fri$1@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> The OP should be able to connect any computer's Ethernet output to a
> transceiver which can beam his signal literally for miles if he needs to.

that isn't even remotely close to what he asked.

he wants to connect a *printer* to the router in the next *room*.

there are several options available, none of which needs to beam
anything for miles.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<slrnse9j6d.1glr.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=104&group=comp.periphs.printers#104

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:36:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:36 UTC

In message <sc22se$tlv$2@dont-email.me> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
> On 2021-07-06 6:11 a.m., Lewis wrote:

>>> Ummmm... ...yes.
>>
>> Sometimes. Other times you cannot even print to your directly connected
>> printer. Because Windows. (My most frequent tech calls are "I can't
>> access the network shares" and "I can't print". Everything was working a
>> few minutes previous to the call, but now it's tuts up.

> Regardless of whether or not it's working properly, Windows 10 does
> ALLOW printer sharing.

True enough.

>>> If that's news to you, that's very sad.

>> Not really, it just means you have lived a happy life of not having to
>> deal with Winshit.

> Not knowing that Windows has supported printer sharing since forever?

Why would anyone who has not use Windows need this knowledge? And I know
plenty of people under 30 who do use Windows and would not know this
because they have never printed anything.

> Really?

Really.

--
'An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar
is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sc2ifq$70a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=105&group=comp.periphs.printers#105

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:38:02 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:38 UTC

On 2021-07-06 2:36 p.m., Lewis wrote:
> In message <sc22se$tlv$2@dont-email.me> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:

>>> Sometimes. Other times you cannot even print to your directly connected
>>> printer. Because Windows. (My most frequent tech calls are "I can't
>>> access the network shares" and "I can't print". Everything was working a
>>> few minutes previous to the call, but now it's tuts up.
>
>> Regardless of whether or not it's working properly, Windows 10 does
>> ALLOW printer sharing.
>
> True enough.

>>> Not really, it just means you have lived a happy life of not having to
>>> deal with Winshit.
>
>> Not knowing that Windows has supported printer sharing since forever?
>
> Why would anyone who has not use Windows need this knowledge? And I know
> plenty of people under 30 who do use Windows and would not know this
> because they have never printed anything.

How could anyone who has used computers long enough to understand that
Windows 10 is not the only version of Windows NOT know it?

>> Really?
>
> Really.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<87wnq3yupo.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=106&group=comp.periphs.printers#106

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 17:54:11 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:54 UTC

On Tue, 06 Jul 2021 19:46:57 +0100, Stuart wrote:

> In article <875yxn1gf0.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>,
> Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> Can't tell for Windows 10. But when I ran Windows 7 (even emulated in
>> Linux) there was an option somewhere to share it to the network. CUPS
>> running on the Linux host could also see it. Unless that was removed in
>> subsequent Windows versions, Windows 10 can.

Should had added "a not (WIFI) networked" printer. Back then it was
connected via USB and had no WIFI or other ways to be connected to. [1]

> I've been running a shared printer on W7 pro (Dell Laser) for years.

I found another working printer on the street (first was a HP 6600 Inkjet,
not a HP 1005 Laserjet). It only knows USB. I plugged it into the Linux
box here and shared it via CUPS to my smartphone. The eHP print app
doesn't work because the smartphone is too old. But I found something
called "Nano Print" which does. Cannot recommend the free version though
because you have to tap yourself through a ton of ads. I think the
printout even had a watermark with the name of the company added.

[1] USB? Come back Centronix, everything is forgiven!
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<sc389m$b3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=107&group=comp.periphs.printers#107

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 05:50:25 +0200
 by: paul - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 03:50 UTC

nospam wrote on 06.07.2021 21:54
>> The OP should be able to connect any computer's Ethernet output to a
>> transceiver which can beam his signal literally for miles if he needs to.
>
> that isn't even remotely close to what he asked.
>
> he wants to connect a *printer* to the router in the next *room*.
>
> there are several options available, none of which needs to beam
> anything for miles.

The OP can simply substitute his printer for the computer in this example.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Gh22Sb2N/desktop.jpg>

The printer _is_ a computer, nospam, even as you don't realize that it is.
<https://i.postimg.cc/6QJqK6Cj/desktop02.jpg>

The OP already mentioned he had a spare router already handy by the way.
<https://i.postimg.cc/25NdBZ7f/horn-to-router.jpg>

What part of this simple equation do you _not_ understand, nospam?

I realize I'm dealing with a Mac group, which means I need to even further
dumb down the technical content of this suggestion, but I hope at least the
OP owns the basic adult cognitive skills necessary to understand the
resources I pointed the OP to have solved his problem _many_ times over.
<https://i.postimg.cc/JhyCRT69/horn-to-sw-itch.jpg>

If this was an Android newsgroup, they'd already _know_ all this stuff.
<https://i.postimg.cc/25v3FT6S/debug-on-android.jpg>

The printer has an Ethernet port which means the printer can be attached to
an inexpensive transceiver which can transmit/receive for _miles_ nospam.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QMNv5FBC/typical-range-ptp.jpg>

The fact his router is not that far doesn't change that basic equation.
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2c2L8Wd/mikrotik-router.jpg>

At the risk of having to dumb this suggestion down to the very barest of
bones for you Mac users, the computer connects to the router which connects
to the printer, all of which can easily be done wirelessly (as long as the
printer has a working Ethernet port, which the OP said it has).
<https://i.postimg.cc/vT0Krpfc/laptop-nanobeam-horn.jpg>

*Connecting an Ethernet-enabled printer over Wi-Fi to a router is child's play*
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.internet.wireless/c/Dpk9EhVreJk/m/Oyb-fuORDQAJ
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJChDCPr/spare-access-points.jpg>

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless

<slrnseall0.2oue.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=109&group=comp.periphs.printers#109

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 07:24:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 07:24 UTC

In message <sc2ifq$70a$1@dont-email.me> Alan Baker <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no> wrote:
> On 2021-07-06 2:36 p.m., Lewis wrote:

>>> Regardless of whether or not it's working properly, Windows 10 does
>>> ALLOW printer sharing.
>>
>> True enough.

>>> Not knowing that Windows has supported printer sharing since forever?
>>
>> Why would anyone who has not use Windows need this knowledge? And I know
>> plenty of people under 30 who do use Windows and would not know this
>> because they have never printed anything.

> How could anyone who has used computers long enough to understand that
> Windows 10 is not the only version of Windows NOT know it?

Very easily, as I explained.

--
Demons have existed on the Discworld for at least as long as the
gods, who in many ways they closely resemble. The difference is