Subject: Problem starting up DS10L
From: Joukj
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:38 UTC
From: jou...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Joukj)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:38:15 +0100
Hi All,

I have 2 DS10L machines siffering from the same problem:
    -I can power them up by pusing the power button
    -After a few seconds the graphic card (in my case a ELSA-Gloria)
         announces it self on the VGA-monitor
    -The screen becomes blue
    -A message appears
       initializing Gsc/FRA at .....
    -the machine powers itself off

What can be the problem with these machines?

                Jouk

Subject: Re: Problem starting up DS10L
From: John H. Reinhardt
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 17:33 UTC
From: johnhrei...@thereinhardts.org (John H. Reinhardt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 11:33:50 -0600
On 11/20/2020 6:38 AM, Joukj wrote:
Hi All,

I have 2 DS10L machines siffering from the same problem:
    -I can power them up by pusing the power button
    -After a few seconds the graphic card (in my case a ELSA-Gloria)
         announces it self on the VGA-monitor
    -The screen becomes blue
    -A message appears
       initializing Gsc/FRA at .....
    -the machine powers itself off

What can be the problem with these machines?

                Jouk

Probably the first thing to check is that all the fans run when the power switch is on.  If any don't, that's enough to cause a shut down.  Also watch the LED's on the front.  One indicates a fan problem - It's the one right in the middle. If it doesn't go off then the RMC thinks there is a fan problem.

MANX has a selection of DS10 documents which may prove hand if you don't already have them.

https://manx-docs.org/search.php?cp=1&q=DS10

I referenced EK-DS10S-CR.B01 AlphaServer DS10 Console Reference for the info I just gave you.
Also good is the EK-ADS10-IP.A01 AlphaServer DS10 IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) for when you need repair parts

--
John H. Reinhardt

From: Joukj
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 07:46 UTC
From: jou...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl (Joukj)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 08:46:08 +0100
John H. Reinhardt wrote:
[...]

Thanks that helped. One of the connectors for the fans on the motherboard was not connected well ( at least for the machine I just tested)

             Regards
                 Jouk

From: Three Jeeps
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 02:21 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 18:21:29 -0800 (PST)
From: jjhud...@gmail.com (Three Jeeps)
On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 2:46:12 AM UTC-5, Joukj wrote:
John H. Reinhardt wrote:
[...]

OK, but did this fix the issue?