From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: TXT file format?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:36:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:36 UTC

Hergen Lehmann wrote:

> Am 27.08.22 um 08:55 schrieb David Chmelik:
>
>> What is the plain-text (.TXT) file format specification on Android?
>> UNIX & GNU/Linux, Apple, DOS all have .TXT formats that differ where
>> carriage-return and line-break (new-line) are placed (so often display
>> wrongly on other operating systems)... where or what are specifications
>> for Android?
>
> I doubt there is a formal specification, as Android users are not even
> supposed to interact with "files".
>
> But Android is Linux-based and on Linux, the convention for text files
> is using LF as line separator and UTF8 encoding. Best practice for a
> programmer would be to accept all of CR,CRLF,LF for input and generate
> the OS's convention (here: LF) for output.

If I want to edit a text file, what I normally do is put the file in my
text folder on my sdcard and then name it 'foo.txt' and then when I tap on
it from the file manager it opens up in my default text editor.

Usually I make a shortcut to that file if it's something I need frequently,
like a shopping list or an ad hoc address or impromptu phone number.

I then put that desktop shortcut in the appropriate folder.

Since I mount all of Android onto Windows as a drive letter over Wi-Fi, the
same Android text files are editable on Windows vim also, despite the
platform CR/LF differences.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted

Windows vim even says at the bottom that it's using [unix] CR/LF formats.
Perfectly compatible.

Same the other way around.
Perfectly compatible.

Notice how compatible everything is _except_ Apple's idiotic walled garden.

Re: TXT file format?

<teiu78$16uhh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=885&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#885

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:49:26 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:49 UTC

On 2022-08-29 10:36, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Hergen Lehmann wrote:
>
>> Am 27.08.22 um 08:55 schrieb David Chmelik:
>>
>>> What is the plain-text (.TXT) file format specification on Android?
>>> UNIX & GNU/Linux, Apple, DOS all have .TXT formats that differ where
>>> carriage-return and line-break (new-line) are placed (so often display
>>> wrongly on other operating systems)... where or what are specifications
>>> for Android?
>>
>> I doubt there is a formal specification, as Android users are not even
>> supposed to interact with "files".
>>
>> But Android is Linux-based and on Linux, the convention for text files
>> is using LF as line separator and UTF8 encoding. Best practice for a
>> programmer would be to accept all of CR,CRLF,LF for input and generate
>> the OS's convention (here: LF) for output.
>
> If I want to edit a text file, what I normally do is put the file in my
> text folder on my sdcard and then name it 'foo.txt' and then when I tap on
> it from the file manager it opens up in my default text editor.
>
> Usually I make a shortcut to that file if it's something I need frequently,
> like a shopping list or an ad hoc address or impromptu phone number.
>
> I then put that desktop shortcut in the appropriate folder.
>
> Since I mount all of Android onto Windows as a drive letter over Wi-Fi, the
> same Android text files are editable on Windows vim also, despite the
> platform CR/LF differences.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted
>
> Windows vim even says at the bottom that it's using [unix] CR/LF formats.
> Perfectly compatible.
>
> Same the other way around.
> Perfectly compatible.
>
> Notice how compatible everything is _except_ Apple's idiotic walled garden.

In what way does Apple's "walled garden" impact any of this?

Re: TXT file format?

<um1RK.16619$R_o7.10191@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=892&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#892

Followup: comp.sys.mac.apps
From: fre...@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 09:02:36 -0400
 by: Bud Frede - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 13:02 UTC

Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> writes:

> On 2022-08-29 10:36, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> Hergen Lehmann wrote:

>>> I doubt there is a formal specification, as Android users are not
>>> even supposed to interact with "files".
>>>
>>> But Android is Linux-based and on Linux, the convention for text
>>> files is using LF as line separator and UTF8 encoding. Best
>>> practice for a programmer would be to accept all of CR,CRLF,LF for
>>> input and generate the OS's convention (here: LF) for output.
>> If I want to edit a text file, what I normally do is put the file in
>> my
>> text folder on my sdcard and then name it 'foo.txt' and then when I tap on
>> it from the file manager it opens up in my default text editor.
>> Usually I make a shortcut to that file if it's something I need
>> frequently,
>> like a shopping list or an ad hoc address or impromptu phone number.
>> I then put that desktop shortcut in the appropriate folder.
>> Since I mount all of Android onto Windows as a drive letter over
>> Wi-Fi, the
>> same Android text files are editable on Windows vim also, despite the
>> platform CR/LF differences.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted
>> Windows vim even says at the bottom that it's using [unix] CR/LF
>> formats.
>> Perfectly compatible.
>> Same the other way around.
>> Perfectly compatible.
>> Notice how compatible everything is _except_ Apple's idiotic walled
>> garden.
>
> In what way does Apple's "walled garden" impact any of this?

It means you don't have to use Windows or Android? :-)

Re: TXT file format?

<tf35kn$1s9m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=893&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#893

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:34:15 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:34 UTC

On 2022-09-04 13:02:36 +0000, Bud Frede said:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> writes:

>>> If I want to edit a text file, what I normally do is put the file in
>>> my text folder on my sdcard and then name it 'foo.txt' and then when I
>>> tap on it from the file manager it opens up in my default text editor.
>>> Usually I make a shortcut to that file if it's something I need
>>> frequently, like a shopping list or an ad hoc address or impromptu
>>> phone number. I then put that desktop shortcut in the appropriate
>>> folder.
>>> Since I mount all of Android onto Windows as a drive letter over
>>> Wi-Fi, the same Android text files are editable on Windows vim also,
>>> despite the platform CR/LF differences.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted
>>> Windows vim even says at the bottom that it's using [unix] CR/LF
>>> formats. Perfectly compatible. Same the other way around. Perfectly compatible.
>>> Notice how compatible everything is _except_ Apple's idiotic walled
>>> garden.
>>
>> In what way does Apple's "walled garden" impact any of this?
>
> It means you don't have to use Windows or Android? :-)

As the 'old' saying says "An Apple a day keeps the Windoze and Andud
away". ;-)