From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: [LINK] Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 04:29:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 04:29 UTC

Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1
January 15th, 2021 by Phillip Heller
- http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/2921/reverse-engineering-prodigy-part-1

"Beginning in the mid 1980s, there were a number of online walled
gardens. Among them were CompuServe, Genie, Delphi, Quantum Link
(later PC-Link, AOL, etc), and Prodigy. The latter two were
interesting in that they relied on specific client software to
access the service.
Quantum Link was certainly novel for the fact that it furnished a
graphical online experience for the Commodore 64, and Prodigy was
novel for its use of the NAPLPS graphics standard, client-side
P-Code virtual-machine, and hierarchical caching. In the early
2000s, some folks nostalgic for Q-Link set out to reverse engineer
it, which was a success with Q-Link Reloaded launching sometime in
2005.
Itd be interesting to do a similar thing with Prodigy: To reverse
engineer the client and rebuild a mock server with enough
functionality to enable those interested to relive another one of
the experiences of the early commercial online world. This is the
first in a many part series about doing just that." ...

Background info:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/where-online-services-go-when-they-die/374099/

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: [LINK] Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1

<sel4n1$buh$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=867&group=comp.misc#867

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: [LINK] Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 23:09:57 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 05:09 UTC

On 8/6/21 10:29 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1

Based on the subject I wondered if that was going to be about Phil's work.

> January 15th, 2021 by Phillip Heller

Then I read that, and the article.

I know Phil and he and I have talked both in person and via video chat
about his efforts to reclaim Prodigy.

Without spoiling his thunder or giving anything away, I'll say that he's
got some interesting plans and I look forward to seeing more of his
plans come to life. :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: [LINK] Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1

<tPWdnbTONfNIlpL8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=893&group=comp.misc#893

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 17:40:21 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 22:40 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 8/6/21 10:29 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> > Reverse Engineering Prodigy, Part 1

> Based on the subject I wondered if that was going to be about Phil's work.

> > January 15th, 2021 by Phillip Heller

> Then I read that, and the article.

> I know Phil and he and I have talked both in person and via video chat
> about his efforts to reclaim Prodigy.

> Without spoiling his thunder or giving anything away, I'll say that he's
> got some interesting plans and I look forward to seeing more of his
> plans come to life. :-)

I hope we can use it soon!!
--
2021 is repeating 2020. :( Please get your vaccine shot(s) if you haven't done so! :)
| |o o| |