From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Not-free games: Humble Choice October 2022
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 14:29:14 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:29 UTC

I dunno the purpose of these posts. If you're a subscriber to
HumbleChoice, you already know about these games, and if you're not,
what's the point? It's not like I'm trying to convince people to join;
after all, with so many games being given away for free, what's the
point of actually PAYING for any of them?

But regardless of how pointless these posts may be, I'm going to keep
doing them. So what do you get as a Humble Choice subscriber this
month?

* Deathloop * Monster Train First Class * Dark Pictures Anthology -
Little Hope * Disciples: Liberation * Maid of Sker * Epic Chef *
Railroad Corporation * Golf Gang * Signalis

"Deathloop" is the big gun in this month's selection and really
carries all the rest; if you're not interested in this game, I doubt
any of the others would make you pony up the cash. I'm somewhat
ambivalent; I feel that it's a game I should /try/, even if I'm fairly
certain it isn't a game I'll actually /enjoy/. Arkane Studio's games
are always well-made, both mechanically and artistically, but they've
never really been to my taste. So I play them to appreciate the
developer's skill and artistry, even if I don't actually have fun
doing it. Which is why I'm happy to get the game here, instead of
having to actually and purposefully buy the game myself; acquiring it
through my subscription means I get it without having to pay for a
game I know I won't enjoy.

And the rest? Well, "Little Hope" is another of the Dark Pictures
Anthology, which generally are okay action-adventures, but the whole
genre is getting a bit long in the tooth. "Disciples Liberation" is -
probably - a similarly well-made game, but I couldn't force myself to
finish earlier games in the franchise so I'm not sure this one is
going to fare any better. "Railroad Corporation" is a modern take on
"Railroad Tycoon" and has good reviews, but I've never been a big fan
of tycoon-games, and anyway this one seems far too reliant on DLC
expansions. "Maid of Sker" is yet-another in the over-saturated
survival horror genre, and good reviews or not, I just can't manage
much enthusiasm. And cutesie Indie games like "Epic Chef" and
"GolfGang" just aren't my thing.

Still, getting "Deathloop" for $12 instead of $60 is a bargain, so
even if the other games just end up as never-to-be-played backlog,
it's still worth the purchase.

I'm not doing a very convincing anyone of the value of the service,
but honestly, that's just my goal. Mostly I just do this to comment on
the games themselves. And being offered a curated list of games to
slag off every month is almost worth the price of entry by itself ;-)

Re: Not-free games: Humble Choice October 2022

<thk36p$30b0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8969&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8969

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Not-free games: Humble Choice October 2022
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:09:29 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 14:09 UTC

Am 04.10.22 um 20:29 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Still, getting "Deathloop" for $12 instead of $60 is a bargain, so
> even if the other games just end up as never-to-be-played backlog,
> it's still worth the purchase.
3 games are really doing it for me this month the usual mix, normally it
is 2-3 games. Unfortunately I already bought deathloop, quite surprising
it hit the choice bundle already given it is roughly a year old.

Re: Not-free games: Humble Choice October 2022

<7parjhlj1v9k4e1rnqjll9g17a5if19kos@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8970&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8970

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 12:30:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:30 UTC

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:09:29 +0200, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>3 games are really doing it for me this month the usual mix, normally it
>is 2-3 games. Unfortunately I already bought deathloop, quite surprising
>it hit the choice bundle already given it is roughly a year old.

Yeah, it's an unexpected addition given its freshness and how well
reviewed it was. I've acquired a number of excellent games through
HumbleChoice but they're usually several years old. And not to
diminish the value of some of the other games in this month's
collection - "Disciples: Liberation" and "Lost Hope" both look to be
solid titles - it seems obvious that the majority of this month's
licensing budget went into acquiring the rights to distribute
"Deathloop".

But no complaints from this quarter. Like I said, "Deathloop" is still
selling for full-price on Steam so getting it (and a handful of other
games as bonus!) for a quarter that price suits me just fine ;-)

(And, honestly, it probably shouldn't be too surprising to see
"Deathloop". HumbleChoice has offered similarly 'new' games before:
Star Wars Squadrons was on its list a15 months after initial release;
"Mass Effect Legendary Edition" was on Choice 11 months after first
sale.)