It is now pitch dark. If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

SubjectAuthor
* More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Alan
+- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Alan
+- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...ed
+* Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Thomas E.
|`* Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Alan
| `* Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Thomas E.
|  +- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Alan
|  +- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Wolffan
|  `- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Diesel / Gremlin
`* Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Thomas E.
 `- Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...Alan

1
More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<sn6b0u$1f6g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8907&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8907

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 11:54:06 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 19:54 UTC

Read Microsoft's own documentation...

....oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:

'Search options

Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
"theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'

There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"

You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...

"find replace Word"
(Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
would be a reason)

....and you get results for:

Word

PowerPoint

Outlook

Access

Excel

OneNote

Word for the web (only)

Visio

Excel

9 results, only two of which are for Word.

And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
("[") while using wildcard searches.

I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].

By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"

Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
does work.

Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.

"(\[)"

Nothing.

It

does

not

work.

Seriously: who built this shit?

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<sn6c02$1t80$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8908&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8908

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:10:42 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 20:10 UTC

And yet more stupidity:

If you attempt to reformat text while the advanced find and replace
window is open, it will apply your formatting changes to the find or
replace fields even when that window doesn't have focus and your
document does.

On 2021-11-18 11:54 a.m., Alan wrote:
> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>
> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>
> 'Search options
>
> Use wildcards    Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>
> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>
> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>
> "find replace Word"
> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
> would be a reason)
>
> ...and you get results for:
>
> Word
>
> PowerPoint
>
> Outlook
>
> Access
>
> Excel
>
> OneNote
>
> Word for the web (only)
>
> Visio
>
> Excel
>

> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>
> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>
> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>
> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>
> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
> does work.
>
> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>
> "(\[)"
>
> Nothing.
>
> It
>
> does
>
> not
>
> work.
>

> Seriously: who built this shit?

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<f192519e-8acf-4b55-bb95-744a8ae65be4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8916&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8916

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:53:56 -0800 (PST)
From: new...@atwistedweb.com (ed)
 by: ed - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 02:53 UTC

On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>
> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>
> 'Search options
>
> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>
> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>
> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>
> "find replace Word"
> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
> would be a reason)
>
> ...and you get results for:
>
> Word
>
> PowerPoint
>
> Outlook
>
> Access
>
> Excel
>
> OneNote
>
> Word for the web (only)
>
> Visio
>
> Excel
>

> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>
> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>
> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>
> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>
> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
> does work.
>
> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>
> "(\[)"
>
> Nothing.
>
> It
>
> does
>
> not
>
> work.
>

> Seriously: who built this shit?

What OS, what version of Word? A nice, simple \[*\] works fine here (as does \[?*\] if you don't want to remove empty brackets), no parens required. \? also works to find a question mark, no parens required. (MS 365, version 2102, W10)

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<36fea8af-7183-42bd-8f76-97787d93b029n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8927&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8927

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:42:37 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:42 UTC

On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>
> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>
> 'Search options
>
> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>
> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>
> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>
> "find replace Word"
> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
> would be a reason)
>
> ...and you get results for:
>
> Word
>
> PowerPoint
>
> Outlook
>
> Access
>
> Excel
>
> OneNote
>
> Word for the web (only)
>
> Visio
>
> Excel
>

> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>
> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>
> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>
> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>
> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
> does work.
>
> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>
> "(\[)"
>
> Nothing.
>
> It
>
> does
>
> not
>
> work.
>

> Seriously: who built this shit?

Try

Find and Replace
Find tab
More >>
Special (on the box bottom)
Any character
Type any character after the ^?
Find Next

Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find command. Use this infrequently but did know how to do it. Screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=sharing

Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.

You are welcome.

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<snbm38$1cia$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8929&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8929

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:33:44 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:33 UTC

On 2021-11-20 10:42 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
>> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>>
>> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>>
>> 'Search options
>>
>> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
>> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>>
>> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
>> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>>
>> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>>
>> "find replace Word"
>> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
>> would be a reason)
>>
>> ...and you get results for:
>>
>> Word
>>
>> PowerPoint
>>
>> Outlook
>>
>> Access
>>
>> Excel
>>
>> OneNote
>>
>> Word for the web (only)
>>
>> Visio
>>
>> Excel
>>

>> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>>
>> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
>> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>>
>> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
>> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>>
>> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
>> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
>> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
>> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>>
>> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
>> does work.
>>
>> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>>
>> "(\[)"
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> It
>>
>> does
>>
>> not
>>
>> work.
>>

>> Seriously: who built this shit?
>
> Try
>
> Find and Replace
> Find tab
> More >>
> Special (on the box bottom)
> Any character
> Type any character after the ^?
> Find Next
>
> Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find command. Use this infrequently but did know how to do it. Screenshot:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=sharing
>
> Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.
>
> You are welcome.

Yes, Idiot.

I know how to do that.

That wasn't the point of what I wrote.

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<96484f81-ba84-4495-b91e-10430fb2ea06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8939&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8939

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:57:44 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 01:57 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:33:47 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2021-11-20 10:42 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> >> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
> >>
> >> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
> >>
> >> 'Search options
> >>
> >> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
> >> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
> >>
> >> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
> >> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
> >>
> >> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
> >>
> >> "find replace Word"
> >> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
> >> would be a reason)
> >>
> >> ...and you get results for:
> >>
> >> Word
> >>
> >> PowerPoint
> >>
> >> Outlook
> >>
> >> Access
> >>
> >> Excel
> >>
> >> OneNote
> >>
> >> Word for the web (only)
> >>
> >> Visio
> >>
> >> Excel
> >>

> >> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
> >>
> >> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
> >> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
> >>
> >> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
> >> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
> >>
> >> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
> >> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
> >> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
> >> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
> >>
> >> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
> >> does work.
> >>
> >> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
> >>
> >> "(\[)"
> >>
> >> Nothing.
> >>
> >> It
> >>
> >> does
> >>
> >> not
> >>
> >> work.
> >>

> >> Seriously: who built this shit?
> >
> > Try
> >
> > Find and Replace
> > Find tab
> > More >>
> > Special (on the box bottom)
> > Any character
> > Type any character after the ^?
> > Find Next
> >
> > Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find command. Use this infrequently but did know how to do it. Screenshot:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.
> >
> > You are welcome.
> >
> Yes, Idiot.
>
> I know how to do that.
>
> That wasn't the point of what I wrote.

The point I take away is that you looked on the MS Web site for something you claim to know how to do in the first place. Then you complained that the search did not work.

Google or Bing "replace special characters in Word"

You get this as the first hit:

https://confluence.remc1.net/display/PS/Special+Characters+for+Find+and+Replace+in+Microsoft+Word#:~:text=%27%27Find%20what%27%27%20Box%20Only%20%20%20Character%20,search%2C%20wher%20...%20%209%20more%20rows%20

Bingo, it's right there. You are correct, MS could have been more complete in it's own documentation.

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<snct1p$ibe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8943&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8943

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 23:38:33 -0800
 by: Alan - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 07:38 UTC

On 2021-11-20 5:57 p.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:33:47 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

>>> Try
>>>
>>> Find and Replace Find tab More >> Special (on the box bottom) Any
>>> character Type any character after the ^? Find Next
>>>
>>> Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find
>>> command. Use this infrequently but did know how to do it.
>>> Screenshot:
>>>
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=sharing
>>>

>>> Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.
>>>
>>> You are welcome.
>>>
>> Yes, Idiot.
>>
>> I know how to do that.
>>
>> That wasn't the point of what I wrote.
>
> The point I take away is that you looked on the MS Web site for
> something you claim to know how to do in the first place. Then you
> complained that the search did not work.

No. I looked on the MS website for something that I didn't know how to
do and you assumed the thing you thought I wanted to do was what I
actually wanted to do.

It wasn't, Idiot.

> Google or Bing "replace special characters in Word"

This wasn't about "special characters", Idiot.

> You get this as the first hit:
>
> https://confluence.remc1.net/display/PS/Special+Characters+for+Find+and+Replace+in+Microsoft+Word#:~:text=%27%27Find%20what%27%27%20Box%20Only%20%20%20Character%20,search%2C%20wher%20...%20%209%20more%20rows%20
>
> Bingo, it's right there. You are correct, MS could have been more
> complete in it's own documentation.

Learn the difference between "special characters" (I've known about ^p
^t ^l for longer than you've worn long pants, Idiot)...

....and "wildcards"

Oh, and your alleged link...

....is broken, Idiot:

"This site can’t be reached"

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<0001HW.274AE7F10072DEC270000610438F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8949&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8949

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:47:45 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 20:47 UTC

On 2021 Nov 20, Thomas E. wrote
(in article<96484f81-ba84-4495-b91e-10430fb2ea06n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:33:47 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

> > > Try
> > >
> > > Find and Replace
> > > Find tab
> > > More >>
> > > Special (on the box bottom)
> > > Any character
> > > Type any character after the ^?
> > > Find Next
> > >
> > > Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find command. Use
> > > this infrequently but did know how to do it. Screenshot:
> > >
> > > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=
> > > sharing
> > >
> > > Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.
> > >
> > > You are welcome.
> > Yes, Idiot.
> >
> > I know how to do that.
> >
> > That wasn't the point of what I wrote.
>
> The point I take away is that you looked on the MS Web site for something you
> claim to know how to do in the first place. Then you complained that the
> search did not work.
>
> Google or Bing "replace special characters in Word"
>
> You get this as the first hit:
>
> https://confluence.remc1.net/display/PS/Special+Characters+for+Find+and+Replac
> e+in+Microsoft+Word#:~:text=%27%27Find%20what%27%27%20Box%20Only%20%20%20Chara
> cter%20,search%2C%20wher%20...%20%209%20more%20rows%20
>
> Bingo, it's right there. You are correct, MS could have been more complete in
> it's own documentation.

Ummm... [ is not a special character. He’s looking for ways to play with [
while using wildcards.

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<c8a983e1-d91e-4460-b8a7-f744731965c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8962&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8962

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 07:43:48 -0800 (PST)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:43 UTC

On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>
> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>
> 'Search options
>
> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>
> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>
> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>
> "find replace Word"
> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
> would be a reason)
>
> ...and you get results for:
>
> Word
>
> PowerPoint
>
> Outlook
>
> Access
>
> Excel
>
> OneNote
>
> Word for the web (only)
>
> Visio
>
> Excel
>

> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>
> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>
> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>
> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>
> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
> does work.
>
> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>
> "(\[)"
>
> Nothing.
>
> It
>
> does
>
> not
>
> work.
>

> Seriously: who built this shit?

On further examination -

The command is \? does not look for a ?, it's the command. Try \?[

Seems obvious to me.

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<ba26bec0-9344-4744-9c01-11251752b10an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8964&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8964

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:30:24 -0800 (PST)
From: frelwiz...@gmail.com (Diesel / Gremlin)
 by: Diesel / Gremlin - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:30 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 6:57:45 PM UTC-7, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:33:47 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:

> > > Try
> > >
> > > Find and Replace
> > > Find tab
> > > More >>
> > > Special (on the box bottom)
> > > Any character
> > > Type any character after the ^?
> > > Find Next
> > >
> > > Works here, but that is not available from the simple Find command. Use this infrequently but did know how to do it. Screenshot:
> > >
> > > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nCugFXSzbfWsMaS9l3A5DSC1Izrw139x/view?usp=sharing
> > >
> > > Works in all Office apps with Find and Replace.
> > >
> > > You are welcome.
> > >
> > Yes, Idiot.
> >
> > I know how to do that.
> >
> > That wasn't the point of what I wrote.
> The point I take away is that you looked on the MS Web site for something you claim to know how to do in the first place. Then you complained that the search did not work.
>
> Google or Bing "replace special characters in Word"
>
> You get this as the first hit:
>
> https://confluence.remc1.net/display/PS/Special+Characters+for+Find+and+Replace+in+Microsoft+Word#:~:text=%27%27Find%20what%27%27%20Box%20Only%20%20%20Character%20,search%2C%20wher%20...%20%209%20more%20rows%20
>
> Bingo, it's right there. You are correct, MS could have been more complete in it's own documentation.

I have not confirmed that the number: 423.491.1448 will grant access to
Nospam. Now Snit on the other end of the phone doesn't matter. All that
matters is Nospam gets to deliver his flood. So how to deal with this?
Don't reply to the moron. Honest discussion isn't part of scheme and never
can be. That is the problem today and newer students don't know what they
are doing; people from smarter generations (~60 years old) SHOULD know
better than to fall for liberalism.

--
My Snoring Solution!!
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.photo.digital/c/e7iwP04xhNU>

Re: More Word idiocy: wildcards and square brackets and well...

<sngsuc$7ct$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8969&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#8969

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 12:01:15 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:01 UTC

On 2021-11-22 7:43 a.m., Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 2:54:10 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
>> Read Microsoft's own documentation...
>>
>> ...oh, wait! They don't document it beyond:
>>
>> 'Search options
>>
>> Use wildcards Get partial matches. For example, "the*" finds
>> "theater", "thespian", and "thermin."'
>>
>> There is literally no documentation beyond that you can find by search
>> Microsoft's support site for "find and replace using wildcards in word"
>>
>> You perform a search from Microsoft's support home page for Word...
>>
>> "find replace Word"
>> (Microsoft helpfully adds the "Word" automatically, so you think there
>> would be a reason)
>>
>> ...and you get results for:
>>
>> Word
>>
>> PowerPoint
>>
>> Outlook
>>
>> Access
>>
>> Excel
>>
>> OneNote
>>
>> Word for the web (only)
>>
>> Visio
>>
>> Excel
>>

>> 9 results, only two of which are for Word.
>>
>> And neither of which tell you how you can search for a square bracket
>> ("[") while using wildcard searches.
>>
>> I need to remove explanatory text between square brackets and the
>> brackets themselves and so would like to do a search like \[?*\].
>>
>> By searching around the web, I discovered that to use an escape
>> character to remove the special meaning of some characters when using
>> wildcard matching, you have to enclose the escaped character in
>> parantheses e.g. to search for a question mark, type "(\?)"
>>
>> Microsoft doesn't tell you this (absurd!), but you can find it and it
>> does work.
>>
>> Now, try the same thing for a square bracket.
>>
>> "(\[)"
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> It
>>
>> does
>>
>> not
>>
>> work.
>>

>> Seriously: who built this shit?
>
> On further examination -
>
> The command is \? does not look for a ?, it's the command. Try \?[
>
> Seems obvious to me.

That's not even parseable English, Idiot.

There is no COMMAND \?, Idiot. Those are characters you can use in that
combination to search for an actual question mark, rather than its
special wildcard meaning when you turn on the option "Use wildcards".

But trust an idiot such as yourself to just assume that "wildcard" and
"Special" in Word have the same meaning...

....and that for some reason, Microsoft just felt the need to use both
terms in the advanced find/replace dialog.