"When in doubt, print 'em out." -- Karl's Programming Proverb 0x7

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

SubjectAuthor
* Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 NJerry
+- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
+* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABill
|`* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
| `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
|  +* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
|  |`* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
|  | `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
|  |  `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
|  |   `- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
|  `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABill
|   +- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABill
|   `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
|    +- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABill
|    `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
|     `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABill
|      `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
|       `- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Frank Slootweg
`* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Steve Hough
 `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
  `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Steve Hough
   +* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGAPaul
   |`- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
   `* Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx7Jerry
    `- Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGABob F

1
Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdm4s5$eve$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=873&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#873

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:45:39 -0700
 by: Jerry - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 19:45 UTC

Have you seen this 4-pin (two by two) ATX/CPU motherboard connector before?
https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg

A friend gave me a fully modular 650Watt power supply & the cabling he had
to replace my non-modular 300W ATX power supply and I'm trying to match the
connections to my motherboard. https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg

Included were modular cables for a large connection to the motherboard and
a six pin and eight pin connection to the evga geforce gtx770 graphics card
and wide power connections for HDDs.

The ONLY two things missing is near the CPU on my motherboard is a 4-pin
(two-by-two) ATX/CPU connector & my DVD drive has a smaller power clip that
the twice-as-wide power clip for a typical HDD.
https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg

The two connections that are NOT a perfect match is there is no 4-pin
(two-by-two) connection for this socket labeled "ATX CPU" on the board.
https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg

Being labeled "ATX CPU" it sure sounds like it's important - is it?
https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg

Less important is the DVD drive doesn't seem to use the same power
connector than does a normal hard disk drive power connection.
https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg

The power connections to the hard drive are similar but slightly longer.
https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg

This DVD drive power connector is similar but it seems to be shorter.
https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg

But maybe there is room for a normal HDD-style longer power connector?
https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg

I have no experience with any of this.
Do you?

The module power supply has some unused sockets (such as an unused
"C-Link") and the cables that came with the modular power supply have extra
(female) 5-pin molex connectors - and wider HDD power clips - so some kind
of ADAPTER might be possible perhaps?

But I'm not sure what can be adapted and what voltages to use.
Can you advise me?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdmg3l$16ac2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=874&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#874

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 18:56:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 22:56 UTC

On 8/18/2022 3:45 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Have you seen this 4-pin (two by two) ATX/CPU motherboard connector before?
> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
>
> A friend gave me a fully modular 650Watt power supply & the cabling he had
> to replace my non-modular 300W ATX power supply and I'm trying to match the
> connections to my motherboard. https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
>
> Included were modular cables for a large connection to the motherboard and
> a six pin and eight pin connection to the evga geforce gtx770 graphics card
> and wide power connections for HDDs.
>
> The ONLY two things missing is near the CPU on my motherboard is a 4-pin
> (two-by-two) ATX/CPU connector & my DVD drive has a smaller power clip that
> the twice-as-wide power clip for a typical HDD.
> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
>
> The two connections that are NOT a perfect match is there is no 4-pin
> (two-by-two) connection for this socket labeled "ATX CPU" on the board.
> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
>
> Being labeled "ATX CPU" it sure sounds like it's important - is it?
> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
>
> Less important is the DVD drive doesn't seem to use the same power
> connector than does a normal hard disk drive power connection.
> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
>
> The power connections to the hard drive are similar but slightly longer.
> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
>
> This DVD drive power connector is similar but it seems to be shorter.
> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
>
> But maybe there is room for a normal HDD-style longer power connector?
> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
>
> I have no experience with any of this.
> Do you?
>
> The module power supply has some unused sockets (such as an unused
> "C-Link") and the cables that came with the modular power supply have extra
> (female) 5-pin molex connectors - and wider HDD power clips - so some kind
> of ADAPTER might be possible perhaps?
>
> But I'm not sure what can be adapted and what voltages to use.
> Can you advise me?

This site has pictures.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

The connector is an ATX12V 2x2.

The 650W supply will have an ATX12V 2x4 split-able connector.
It splits into two 2x2 pieces. One of the two 2x2 pieces
will fit, latch side to latch side. The Molex pins are
shaped, and the shapes function as a "key" to prevent
the wrong one from being plugged in. If you have the
correct piece of 2x2 in hand, it will easily slide into
place, and then need some force to "seat it". But the
barrels should slide into place for the first tenth
of an inch.

Compare the center of this one:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/12v4pin.jpg

to the left-hand part of this one: Notice the patterning.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

The 24-pin connector splits into a 20 pin and a 4 pin.
DO NOT use the 4 pin for any other function but as
part of the 24 pin main connector! It cannot be used
as an ATX12V 2x2. A split-able 24, can be used with a
20 pin motherboard or a 24 pin motherboard. One of the
extra pins, carries power for the PCIe slot 12V.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/all20plus4.jpg

SATA drives have a fifteen contact power connector.
And, they have seven contact data connectors.

The 650W supply is likely to have at least one
cable with SATA power on it.

This is a "modern SATA to old Molex" converter for when
a drive only has the old connector on it.

https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-12-others/p/N82E16812400505

With an old supply, you may need a "old Molex to modern SATA" cable
to connect a SATA drive. This allows running two SATA drives off
a single Molex connector on the PSU. I have one of these on the
other machine, for "fanout".

https://www.newegg.com/black-startech-12-cable-connectors/p/N82E16812400307

With your new supply, there should be plenty of connectors for a basic build,
and the adapters should not be necessary (yet). i doubt a 650W would
be devoid of the stuff you need. There might even be a 1x4 floppy power,
on the end of the Molex strand.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<A_ALK.158309$El2.86717@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=875&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#875

GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 20:41:03 -0400
 by: Bill - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 00:41 UTC

On 8/18/2022 3:45 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Have you seen this 4-pin (two by two) ATX/CPU motherboard connector before?
> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
>
> A friend gave me a fully modular 650Watt power supply & the cabling he had
> to replace my non-modular 300W ATX power supply and I'm trying to match the
> connections to my motherboard. https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
>
> Included were modular cables for a large connection to the motherboard and
> a six pin and eight pin connection to the evga geforce gtx770 graphics card
> and wide power connections for HDDs.
>
> The ONLY two things missing is near the CPU on my motherboard is a 4-pin
> (two-by-two) ATX/CPU connector & my DVD drive has a smaller power clip that
> the twice-as-wide power clip for a typical HDD.
> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
>
> The two connections that are NOT a perfect match is there is no 4-pin
> (two-by-two) connection for this socket labeled "ATX CPU" on the board.
> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
>
> Being labeled "ATX CPU" it sure sounds like it's important - is it?
> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
>
> Less important is the DVD drive doesn't seem to use the same power
> connector than does a normal hard disk drive power connection.
> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
>
> The power connections to the hard drive are similar but slightly longer.
> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
>
> This DVD drive power connector is similar but it seems to be shorter.
> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
>
> But maybe there is room for a normal HDD-style longer power connector?
> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
>
> I have no experience with any of this.
> Do you?
>
> The module power supply has some unused sockets (such as an unused
> "C-Link") and the cables that came with the modular power supply have extra
> (female) 5-pin molex connectors - and wider HDD power clips - so some kind
> of ADAPTER might be possible perhaps?
>
> But I'm not sure what can be adapted and what voltages to use.
> Can you advise me?

Just a thought--you might learn a few things about your motherboard
if you look at the motherboard manual (provided it is available).
If you bought the motherboard as an individual component (instead of
as part of a prebuilt system), you'll probably be able to find it under
"support" at the manufacturer's (e.g. Gigabyte, Msi, or Asus) website.
Good luck--I am looking forward to more updates! : )

The power supply might have a "specification" too which could possibly
be informative.

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdmnsh$16tfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=876&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#876

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:09:37 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 01:09 UTC

On 8/18/2022 8:41 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 8/18/2022 3:45 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> Have you seen this 4-pin (two by two) ATX/CPU motherboard connector before?
>> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
>>
>> A friend gave me a fully modular 650Watt power supply & the cabling he had
>> to replace my non-modular 300W ATX power supply and I'm trying to match the
>> connections to my motherboard. https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
>>
>> Included were modular cables for a large connection to the motherboard and
>> a six pin and eight pin connection to the evga geforce gtx770 graphics card
>> and wide power connections for HDDs.
>>
>> The ONLY two things missing is near the CPU on my motherboard is a 4-pin
>> (two-by-two) ATX/CPU connector & my DVD drive has a smaller power clip that
>> the twice-as-wide power clip for a typical HDD.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
>>
>> The two connections that are NOT a perfect match is there is no 4-pin
>> (two-by-two) connection for this socket labeled "ATX CPU" on the board.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
>>
>> Being labeled "ATX CPU" it sure sounds like it's important - is it?
>> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
>>
>> Less important is the DVD drive doesn't seem to use the same power
>> connector than does a normal hard disk drive power connection.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
>>
>> The power connections to the hard drive are similar but slightly longer.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
>>
>> This DVD drive power connector is similar but it seems to be shorter.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
>>
>> But maybe there is room for a normal HDD-style longer power connector?
>> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
>>
>> I have no experience with any of this.
>> Do you?
>>
>> The module power supply has some unused sockets (such as an unused
>> "C-Link") and the cables that came with the modular power supply have extra
>> (female) 5-pin molex connectors - and wider HDD power clips - so some kind
>> of ADAPTER might be possible perhaps?
>>
>> But I'm not sure what can be adapted and what voltages to use.
>> Can you advise me?
>

> Just a thought--you might learn a few things about your motherboard
> if you look at the motherboard manual (provided it is available).
> If you bought the motherboard as an individual component (instead of
> as part of a prebuilt system), you'll probably be able to find it under
> "support" at the manufacturer's  (e.g. Gigabyte, Msi, or Asus) website.
> Good luck--I am looking forward to more updates!  : )
>
> The power supply might have a "specification" too which could possibly be informative.

You can tell it's an OEM, from the "label" adhered to the data cable.
And that's why changing over the cables, involves more "puzzles"
to solve, than home builders would experience. OEMs are always
doing stupid stuff.

https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg

Home builds don't have labels like that. A home
build would be a red or black cable, plain mostly.
Red cables are the most common. With a few black
ones claiming to be "SATA III" when the red ones
handle SATA II and SATA III just fine. Some of the black
ones also have metal clips for preventing the
connector from falling off.

A 5.25" standard height DVD drive, might use 12V
for the motor and 5V for the logic board. Needing
either a Molex (four wires) or a SATA 15 (four or five
wires, with the 3.3V wire being unnecessary). Laptop
drives on the other hand, the optical drive tends to be
powered by 5V only. And in that case two wires suffice
to carry 5V. But you can certainly use the regular connectors
in that case, as both the Molex and the SATA 15 have +5V
on them. An OEM can have any connector they want put
on an optical drive... provided they buy 10,000 or 100,000
of them :-) Money generally talks, when you want to do
stupid stuff.

Home builders on the other hand, prize the usage of
recognized standards, as it makes swapping out stuff
on a failure, a lot easier.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdnqkn$1eu9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=877&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#877

Followup: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:02:49 +0100
 by: Steve Hough - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 11:02 UTC

Jerry was thinking very hard :
> Have you seen this 4-pin (two by two) ATX/CPU
> motherboard connector before?
> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
>
> A friend gave me a fully modular 650Watt power
> supply & the cabling he had
> to replace my non-modular 300W ATX power supply
> and I'm trying to match the
> connections to my motherboard.
> https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
>
> Included were modular cables for a large
> connection to the motherboard and
> a six pin and eight pin connection to the evga
> geforce gtx770 graphics card
> and wide power connections for HDDs.
>
> The ONLY two things missing is near the CPU on
> my motherboard is a 4-pin
> (two-by-two) ATX/CPU connector & my DVD drive
> has a smaller power clip that
> the twice-as-wide power clip for a typical HDD.
> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
>
> The two connections that are NOT a perfect
> match is there is no 4-pin
> (two-by-two) connection for this socket labeled
> "ATX CPU" on the board.
> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
>
> Being labeled "ATX CPU" it sure sounds like
> it's important - is it?
> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
>
> Less important is the DVD drive doesn't seem to
> use the same power
> connector than does a normal hard disk drive
> power connection.
> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
>
> The power connections to the hard drive are
> similar but slightly longer.
> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
>
> This DVD drive power connector is similar but
> it seems to be shorter.
> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
>
> But maybe there is room for a normal HDD-style
> longer power connector?
> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
>
> I have no experience with any of this.
> Do you?
>
> The module power supply has some unused sockets
> (such as an unused
> "C-Link") and the cables that came with the
> modular power supply have extra
> (female) 5-pin molex connectors - and wider HDD
> power clips - so some kind
> of ADAPTER might be possible perhaps?
>
> But I'm not sure what can be adapted and what
> voltages to use.
> Can you advise me?

But not one picture of the pc end of the modular
power leads...

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdoq33$78h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=878&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#878

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 13:00:02 -0700
 by: Jerry - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:00 UTC

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:09:37 -0400, Paul wrote:

> You can tell it's an OEM, from the "label" adhered to the data cable.

Yes. It's an HP motherboard. All stock.

From the links that Paul gave me, the 2x2 ATX_CPU connector on the mb is
two +12VDC which Paul called "ATX12V 2x2" connections.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Now I just need to figure out how to get that four-pin ATX_CPU power
from what I've got.

What I've got is this is the back of the power supply with its cabling.
https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg

This is the back of that power supply without the cabling that it had.
https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
This is the motherboard end of all those cables as they came with the PSU.
https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg

This is another shot of what I have to work with by way of existing cable.
https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg

This is one set of daisy chained peripheral cables of flat & molex style.
https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg

And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors.
https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg

But there is no lack of daisy chained molex & flat peripheral connectors.
https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg

I've never done this before but I can tell I have two choices only.

The first choice is to find an adaptor to the molex or flat peripheral
connectors to the four pin double 12 volt cpu motherboard power connection.

Or the first choice is to find a stand-alone dedicated 12VDC compatible
connection from the back of the power supply directly to the four pin
motherboard CPU power connection.

Which do you suggest should be my first choice?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdoqei$c2e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=879&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#879

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 13:06:08 -0700
 by: Jerry - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:06 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:02:49 +0100, Steve Hough wrote:

> But not one picture of the pc end of the modular
> power leads...

My mistake for not providing enough photos.

Here's what I've got by way of both ends of all PSU cables.
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg

My main question is whether I should try to buy a DEDICATED cable from the
PSU to the 4-pin ATX_CPU on the motherboard (but I don't know which empty
PSU connection to use for that) or whether I should just find an ADAPTER
that connects to either the flat or molex daisy chained peripheral
connectors.

There is only 1 HDD and only 1 DVD drive in the desktop currently so almost
all of those daisy changed peripheral power connections will be unused.

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdp8ni$1llp6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=880&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#880

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:09:25 +0100
 by: Steve Hough - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 00:09 UTC

It happens that Jerry formulated :
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:02:49 +0100, Steve Hough
> wrote:
>
>> But not one picture of the pc end of the
>> modular power leads...
>
> My mistake for not providing enough photos.
>
> Here's what I've got by way of both ends of all
> PSU cables.
> https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg
>
> My main question is whether I should try to buy
> a DEDICATED cable from the
> PSU to the 4-pin ATX_CPU on the motherboard
> (but I don't know which empty
> PSU connection to use for that) or whether I
> should just find an ADAPTER
> that connects to either the flat or molex daisy
> chained peripheral
> connectors.
>
> There is only 1 HDD and only 1 DVD drive in the
> desktop currently so almost
> all of those daisy changed peripheral power
> connections will be unused.

Dows the one labelled CPU not break down into a
plug that will fit in the CPU socket?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdpdjg$1m543$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=881&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#881

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:32:31 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:32 UTC

On 8/19/2022 4:00 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:09:37 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> You can tell it's an OEM, from the "label" adhered to the data cable.
>
> Yes. It's an HP motherboard. All stock.
> From the links that Paul gave me, the 2x2 ATX_CPU connector on the mb is
> two +12VDC which Paul called "ATX12V 2x2" connections.
> http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
>
> Now I just need to figure out how to get that four-pin ATX_CPU power
> from what I've got.
>
> What I've got is this is the back of the power supply with its cabling.
> https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
>
> This is the back of that power supply without the cabling that it had.
> https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
>
> This is the motherboard end of all those cables as they came with the PSU.
> https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
>
> This is another shot of what I have to work with by way of existing cable.
> https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
>
> This is one set of daisy chained peripheral cables of flat & molex style.
> https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
>
> And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors.
> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
>
> But there is no lack of daisy chained molex & flat peripheral connectors.
> https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg
>
> I've never done this before but I can tell I have two choices only.
>
> The first choice is to find an adaptor to the molex or flat peripheral
> connectors to the four pin double 12 volt cpu motherboard power connection.
>
> Or the first choice is to find a stand-alone dedicated 12VDC compatible
> connection from the back of the power supply directly to the four pin
> motherboard CPU power connection.
>
> Which do you suggest should be my first choice?

"And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors."

https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg <=== the one with "CPU" written on it,
is a 2x4 that splits into
2x2 + 2x2. One of the 2x2 connectors
fits into the ATX12V 2x2 on the
motherboard.

Some of the split connectors have reinforcement, and you
have to be careful to slide them apart just right. (Some have
wire pins, some have plastic bits, some have little in the way
of support.)

Others (ones I have here), the two halves just "seat" on
one another, and there is nothing to hold them together.
The ones without reinforcement, if you need to plug in the
entire 2x4 for your CPU (some CPUs use a 2x4), then you
have to constantly compress the two halves together, while
at the same time plugging them in. A nuisance.

But your case is easy. One of the 2x2 with the CPU label, will
fit your motherboard. No adapters of any kind will be needed.
And the latch will make contact and hold the item in place.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdpdq0$1m543$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=882&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#882

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:36:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:36 UTC

On 8/19/2022 8:09 PM, Steve Hough wrote:
> It happens that Jerry formulated :
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:02:49 +0100, Steve Hough wrote:
>>
>>> But not one picture of the pc end of the modular power leads...
>>
>> My mistake for not providing enough photos.
>>
>> Here's what I've got by way of both ends of all PSU cables.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg
>>
>> My main question is whether I should try to buy a DEDICATED cable from the
>> PSU to the 4-pin ATX_CPU on the motherboard (but I don't know which empty
>> PSU connection to use for that) or whether I should just find an ADAPTER
>> that connects to either the flat or molex daisy chained peripheral
>> connectors.
>>
>> There is only 1 HDD and only 1 DVD drive in the desktop currently so almost
>> all of those daisy changed peripheral power connections will be unused.
>
> Dows the one labelled CPU not break down into a plug that will fit in the CPU socket?

One of the two here, will fit his board.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

It's a question of recognizing where the split is, and
whether there are any "guidance" features holding it together.
Some need to be slid apart, to separate into the 2x2 + 2x2 config.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<RNXLK.772049$ntj.361898@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=883&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#883

GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 22:37:37 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 02:37 UTC

On 8/19/2022 4:00 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 21:09:37 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> You can tell it's an OEM, from the "label" adhered to the data cable.
>
> Yes. It's an HP motherboard. All stock.
> From the links that Paul gave me, the 2x2 ATX_CPU connector on the mb is
> two +12VDC which Paul called "ATX12V 2x2" connections.
> http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
>
> Now I just need to figure out how to get that four-pin ATX_CPU power
> from what I've got.
>
> What I've got is this is the back of the power supply with its cabling.
> https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
>
> This is the back of that power supply without the cabling that it had.
> https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
>
> This is the motherboard end of all those cables as they came with the PSU.
> https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
>
> This is another shot of what I have to work with by way of existing cable.
> https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
>
> This is one set of daisy chained peripheral cables of flat & molex style.
> https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
>
> And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors.
> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
>
> But there is no lack of daisy chained molex & flat peripheral connectors.
> https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg
>
> I've never done this before but I can tell I have two choices only.
>
> The first choice is to find an adaptor to the molex or flat peripheral
> connectors to the four pin double 12 volt cpu motherboard power connection.
>
> Or the first choice is to find a stand-alone dedicated 12VDC compatible
> connection from the back of the power supply directly to the four pin
> motherboard CPU power connection.
>
> Which do you suggest should be my first choice?

Have you already tried contacting HP for a schematic for your motherboard?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<LOXLK.772050$ntj.598599@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=884&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#884

GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 22:38:35 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 02:38 UTC

On 8/19/2022 10:37 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 8/19/2022 4:00 PM, Jerry wrote:

>> Which do you suggest should be my first choice?
>
> Have you already tried contacting HP for a schematic for your motherboard?

Or have you tried a web search for it?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdpk4s$ddc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=885&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#885

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 20:24:43 -0700
 by: Jerry - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 03:24 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:09:25 +0100, Steve Hough wrote:

> Does the one labelled CPU not break down into a
> plug that will fit in the CPU socket?

Ugh. Thank you! That's the secret! (I think.)

It had never occurred to me that the connector labeled CPU split into two!
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5qt49Np/Clipboardq.jpg

It's wired funny though as four strands go along a row of four on one side.
https://i.postimg.cc/2yxMfm80/Clipboardr.jpg

Then four more strands go in a row of four on the other side of the thing.
https://i.postimg.cc/G2G6qv0w/Clipboards.jpg

But the split mark on the connector is perpendicular to those four strands.
Even so, all I need now is to figure out how it comes apart.

I see those two "claws" which probably get squeezed together.
I'm not sure what else needs to be done yet to disassemble it.

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdpmq6$12s0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=886&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#886

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:10:13 -0700
 by: Jerry - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 04:10 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:36:00 -0400, Paul wrote:

> One of the two here, will fit his board.
> http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

You were right that they split into two DIFFERENT 4x2 connectors!
https://i.postimg.cc/fRkHLYR7/Clipboardv.jpg

> It's a question of recognizing where the split is, and
> whether there are any "guidance" features holding it together.

Turns out the "claws" simply needed to be pressed together to separate.
https://i.postimg.cc/7YKswKwY/Clipboardt.jpg

> Some need to be slid apart, to separate into the 2x2 + 2x2 config.

I pinched the "claws" and pried with a screwdriver & it popped apart.
https://i.postimg.cc/3RQ9n6C9/Clipboardu.jpg

I noticed the motherboard has a square shape and a barn shape opening.
https://i.postimg.cc/V69gTRKw/Clipboardw.jpg

That must mean that only ONE of the now split connectors is the right one!
https://i.postimg.cc/Lst0K2sG/Clipboardx.jpg

Before I blow everything up, does what I said above make sense to you?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdpn34$1ptoa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=887&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#887

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:14:26 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 04:14 UTC

On 8/19/2022 8:24 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 01:09:25 +0100, Steve Hough wrote:
>
>> Does the one labelled CPU not break down into a plug that will fit in
>> the CPU socket?
>
> Ugh. Thank you! That's the secret! (I think.)
>
> It had never occurred to me that the connector labeled CPU split into two!
> https://i.postimg.cc/Z5qt49Np/Clipboardq.jpg
>
> It's wired funny though as four strands go along a row of four on one side.
> https://i.postimg.cc/2yxMfm80/Clipboardr.jpg
>
> Then four more strands go in a row of four on the other side of the thing.
> https://i.postimg.cc/G2G6qv0w/Clipboards.jpg
>
> But the split mark on the connector is perpendicular to those four strands.
> Even so, all I need now is to figure out how it comes apart.
>
> I see those two "claws" which probably get squeezed together.
> I'm not sure what else needs to be done yet to disassemble it.

The two slide along the axis of the wires - the same way they plug into
the board. hold the two sides with your thumbs on the sides by the
wires and your finger on the end that plugs into the board, then pull up
on one end while pushing down on the other. If no movement reverse to
pull the other end.

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdqluo$1t8b5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=888&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#888

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:01:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:01 UTC

On 8/19/2022 10:37 PM, Bill wrote:

> Have you already tried contacting HP for a schematic for your motherboard?

What you can get from the HP website, is an outline diagram
of the motherboard and the connectors. Nothing more substantial
than that is on offer. To track the info down (if available),
takes the computer model number.

The motherboards are made by an ODM. In the same way that
"Apple uses Foxconn".

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<co5MK.774572$ntj.446138@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=889&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#889

GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 09:32:55 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:32 UTC

On 8/20/2022 1:01 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 8/19/2022 10:37 PM, Bill wrote:
>

>> Have you already tried contacting HP for a schematic for your
>> motherboard?
>
> What you can get from the HP website, is an outline diagram
> of the motherboard and the connectors. Nothing more substantial
> than that is on offer. To track the info down (if available),
> takes the computer model number.

Yes, I thought of the "model number", but I figured that it
would be accessible to its owner.

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdsc7s$c7j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=890&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#890

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:28:11 -0700
 by: Jerry - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 04:28 UTC

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:32:31 -0400, Paul wrote:

> "And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors."
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg <=== the one with "CPU" written on it,
> is a 2x4 that splits into
> 2x2 + 2x2. One of the 2x2 connectors
> fits into the ATX12V 2x2 on the
> motherboard.

Thank you for all your help as I had never swapped a power supply before.
Also I had never swapped out a graphics card before either.

Other than the PSU fan not turning on, it seems to be working just fine.

You and Steve Hough were correct there was a "hidden" 4-pin for the CPU!
https://i.postimg.cc/T2nYLC4X/Clipboardz.jpg

The only thing still missing is the power connection for the DVD drive.
https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg

> But your case is easy. One of the 2x2 with the CPU label, will
> fit your motherboard. No adapters of any kind will be needed.
> And the latch will make contact and hold the item in place.

You & Steve Hough were correct the 8-pin connector split into two 4x2 pin
connectors, only one of which fit the motherboard, which was labeled CPU.

Here is the complete set of photos from start to finish.
[...]

If you know what the name of the missing DVD power connector is,
I could use that as I need to find an adaptor to the molex strand.
https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdslr4$29pu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=891&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#891

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 03:11:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 07:11 UTC

On 8/21/2022 12:28 AM, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 21:32:31 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> "And these are the CPU and the 6-pin & 8-pin graphics card power connectors."
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg   <=== the one with "CPU" written on it,
>>                                                      is a 2x4 that splits into
>>                                                      2x2 + 2x2. One of the 2x2 connectors
>>                                                      fits into the ATX12V 2x2 on the
>>                                                      motherboard.
>
> Thank you for all your help as I had never swapped a power supply before.
> Also I had never swapped out a graphics card before either.
>
> Other than the PSU fan not turning on, it seems to be working just fine.
>
> You and Steve Hough were correct there was a "hidden" 4-pin for the CPU!
> https://i.postimg.cc/T2nYLC4X/Clipboardz.jpg
>
> The only thing still missing is the power connection for the DVD drive.
> https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg
>
>> But your case is easy. One of the 2x2 with the CPU label, will
>> fit your motherboard. No adapters of any kind will be needed.
>> And the latch will make contact and hold the item in place.
>
> You & Steve Hough were correct the 8-pin connector split into two 4x2 pin
> connectors, only one of which fit the motherboard, which was labeled CPU.
>
> Here is the complete set of photos from start to finish.
> https://i.postimg.cc/Y0G5hL8y/Clipboarda.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/k4X9X5kk/Clipboardb.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/xTK0RByp/Clipboardc.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/HkXT6RwP/Clipboardd.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/cJ146T39/Clipboarde.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/T3VXVmxz/Clipboardf.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/SQfTfrY7/Clipboardg.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/mrVfqstV/Clipboardh.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/50Rc4S5C/Clipboardi.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/k49CMvLT/Clipboardj.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/0QZTkRYN/Clipboardk.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/N0kVDqPx/Clipboardl.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/VsVhDF42/Clipboardm.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/J0G2Ry7T/Clipboardn.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/3rSszhrS/Clipboardo.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/fTkNbLgQ/Clipboardp.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/Z5qt49Np/Clipboardq.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/2yxMfm80/Clipboardr.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/G2G6qv0w/Clipboards.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/7YKswKwY/Clipboardt.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/3RQ9n6C9/Clipboardu.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/fRkHLYR7/Clipboardv.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/V69gTRKw/Clipboardw.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/Lst0K2sG/Clipboardx.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg
> https://i.postimg.cc/T2nYLC4X/Clipboardz.jpg
>
> If you know what the name of the missing DVD power connector is, I could use that as I need to find an adaptor to the molex strand.
> https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg

It could be similar to this six pin slimline +5V wired adapter.
A slimline would be something like a laptop technology. It
may have an unpowered tray mechanism (latch release, no
motor tray).

https://www.amazon.ca/Pin-Slimline-SATA-Power-Cable/dp/B0056OA8ZW

"This product is one of a few niche items not sold in stores."

Heh.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdsu03$8nk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=892&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#892

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 02:31:15 -0700
 by: Jerry - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:31 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:01:12 -0400, Paul wrote:

> What you can get from the HP website, is an outline diagram
> of the motherboard and the connectors. Nothing more substantial
> than that is on offer.

The HP manual doesn't show anything useful.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdsudp$d6l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=893&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#893

From: Jer...@JerryThinks.com (Jerry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 02:38:33 -0700
 by: Jerry - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:38 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 03:11:32 -0400, Paul wrote:

>> If you know what the name of the missing DVD power connector is, I could use that as I need to find an adaptor to the molex strand.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg
>
> It could be similar to this six pin slimline +5V wired adapter.
> A slimline would be something like a laptop technology. It
> may have an unpowered tray mechanism (latch release, no
> motor tray).

Thanks. It seems everyone with an HP has this problem.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-supply-upgrade-can-t-connect-DVD-drive/td-p/5990156

I think it's an HP specific cable but that one seems to be close if not
exactly the same. I'm not sure yet, but it might be called an
"HP Optical Drive Cable/Connector 499201-001"
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-Connector-on-Slim-DVDRW/td-p/5714872

Not sure yet, but it's pretty close, which I thank you for finding.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/153144iA680A2838191FF4D/image-size/original

Why do they use special connectors that nobody else uses?

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<Q2nMK.158926$Dh2.17432@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=894&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#894

GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 05:38:55 -0400
 by: Bill - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:38 UTC

On 8/21/2022 5:31 AM, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:01:12 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> What you can get from the HP website, is an outline diagram
>> of the motherboard and the connectors. Nothing more substantial
>> than that is on offer.
>
> The HP manual doesn't show anything useful.
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087

Yes, but if you contact HP, they may be able to provide you with another
manual, and then again they may not be able to. You need to reach one
of the "Paul's" at HP! : )

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdtb4d$1dfo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=895&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#895

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:14:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 13:14 UTC

On 8/21/2022 5:38 AM, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 03:11:32 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>>> If you know what the name of the missing DVD power connector is, I could use that as I need to find an adaptor to the molex strand.
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/ncZVvBy9/Clipboardy.jpg
>>
>> It could be similar to this six pin slimline +5V wired adapter.
>> A slimline would be something like a laptop technology. It
>> may have an unpowered tray mechanism (latch release, no
>> motor tray).
>
> Thanks. It seems everyone with an HP has this problem.
> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-supply-upgrade-can-t-connect-DVD-drive/td-p/5990156
>
> I think it's an HP specific cable but that one seems to be close if not
> exactly the same. I'm not sure yet, but it might be called an "HP Optical Drive Cable/Connector 499201-001"
> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-Connector-on-Slim-DVDRW/td-p/5714872
>
> Not sure yet, but it's pretty close, which I thank you for finding.
> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/153144iA680A2838191FF4D/image-size/original
>
> Why do they use special connectors that nobody else uses?

It's a kind of laptop drive, a slimline, and it's being placed
into a computer with a desktop ATX power supply. Naturally,
there's a wiring mismatch there, as an ATX does not come with
a six pin slimline connector. It calls for an adapter, when using
bog standard replacement 650W supplies.

There are probably worse things they could have used
there, so "count your blessings" :-)

Considering the potentially small size of your machine, I hope the
cooling design is sufficient for this project. There's no problem
when the video card runs IDLE, but if you run Furmark on the card,
the heat has to go somewhere, to get out of the computer case.

Normally we would tell you to "spend $20 and get a full sized 5.25"
optical drive", but then, with the small case, there likely isn't
room or a slot for such a drive. The slimline was used to save space.
And you don't save space like that, unless the case is really really
tiny.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdtj1c$2cbai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=896&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#896

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GeForce gtx770 Nvidia
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 11:29:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:29 UTC

On 8/21/2022 5:38 AM, Bill wrote:
> On 8/21/2022 5:31 AM, Jerry wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:01:12 -0400, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> What you can get from the HP website, is an outline diagram
>>> of the motherboard and the connectors. Nothing more substantial
>>> than that is on offer.
>>
>> The HP manual doesn't show anything useful.
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087
>
> Yes, but if you contact HP, they may be able to provide you with another manual, and then again they may not be able to. You need to reach one
> of the "Paul's" at HP!   : )

Some brands of computer, offer a slightly better technicians
manual for disassembling bays and changing out stuff. I think
I've got some Dell manuals like that.

We still need an HP model number, to help find any additional
pictures n' stuff.

Paul

Re: Replace 300W ATX with RM650 fully modular power supply for EVGA GeForce gtx770 Nvidia

<tdu887.10ds.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=897&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#897

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 21 Aug 2022 19:32:05 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:32 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 8/21/2022 5:38 AM, Bill wrote:

> >> The HP manual doesn't show anything useful.
> >> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087
> >
> > Yes, but if you contact HP, they may be able to provide you with another manual, and then again they may not be able to. You need to reach one
> > of the "Paul's" at HP!   : )
>
> Some brands of computer, offer a slightly better technicians
> manual for disassembling bays and changing out stuff. I think
> I've got some Dell manuals like that.
>
> We still need an HP model number, to help find any additional
> pictures n' stuff.

Yeah, 'we' need the 'name' and the product 'number'.

For example the 'name' of my HP laptop is "HP Pavilion Laptop
15-eh2560nd" and the product 'number' is "693B1EA#ABH".

The kind of manual you (Jerry) are looking for is probably called
the "Maintenance and Service Guide", not the few=page zillion-language
"UPGRADING AND SERVICING GUIDE' you pointed to.