Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  nodelist  faq  login

The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.


computers / comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot / Why does it look like this?

SubjectAuthor
* Why does it look like this?au76666
+* Re: Why does it look like this?Gavin Buxton
|`- Re: Why does it look like this?au76666
`* Re: Why does it look like this?Jörg_Buchholz
 `* Re: Why does it look like this?au76666
  +- Re: Why does it look like this?au76666
  `- Re: Why does it look like this?Jörg_Buchholz

1
Subject: Why does it look like this?
From: au76666
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 12:21 UTC
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bri...@chem.au.dk (au76666)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Why does it look like this?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 12:21:28 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 22
Message-ID: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 12:21:28 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="359669a416d7d76122cf9e417b5058b1";
logging-data="5936"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19knc7zupvESnRqM5YwSHCSLZFv7GyWR5o="
User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:8vcQJLREpgM/Dibw1nUUkmvxuGo=
View all headers
I have this little script for plotting a data file with
two different y-ranges:

gnuplot << eoi
set term postscript enh eps 24
set output 'Ibandcompare.eps'
set xlabel 'log10 T'
set ylabel "IBAND.f90 - IBAND.cpp"
set xrange [-40:320]
plot 'ibandcompare.dat' w l lt 1
set yrange [-0.001:0.001]
replot
quit
eoi

The result can be seen here: http://www.dieterbritz.dk/Ibandcompare.pdf

Why is the second plot shifted upward and to the right, so that
parts of it are out of the picture? How do I prevent that?

--
Dieter Britz


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: Gavin Buxton
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 19:25 UTC
References: 1
X-Received: by 2002:a37:aa88:: with SMTP id t130mr106622665qke.12.1565033160717;
Mon, 05 Aug 2019 12:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 2002:aca:fc8e:: with SMTP id a136mr2582oii.104.1565033160211;
Mon, 05 Aug 2019 12:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder7.news.weretis.net!proxad.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!209.85.160.216.MISMATCH!b26no4261224qtq.0!news-out.google.com!e17ni2624qtg.1!nntp.google.com!b26no4261219qtq.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 12:25:59 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=24.3.60.64; posting-account=yC8mVwkAAADuRBqBIdPVfec50l5EMdYn
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.3.60.64
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <8129b0ab-861d-40f5-8e0b-2bbc18a85e54@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: gavinbux...@gmail.com (Gavin Buxton)
Injection-Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 19:26:00 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
View all headers
Don't know. This strange and fishy indeed.

Can you move it to where it should be with set origin and set size?


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: au76666
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 07:20 UTC
References: 1 2
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bri...@chem.au.dk (au76666)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 07:20:22 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 11
Message-ID: <qij6rm$gkm$1@dont-email.me>
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
<8129b0ab-861d-40f5-8e0b-2bbc18a85e54@googlegroups.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 07:20:22 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="5f6732ec7e42fda3b3881fcd9c8a65be";
logging-data="17046"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/vJQFaYY47wsU3t/q6PdKuqL92u43VT9E="
User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:E7XGXNN432tyf/mM9KYRcn7OTww=
View all headers
On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 12:25:59 -0700, Gavin Buxton wrote:

Don't know. This strange and fishy indeed.

Can you move it to where it should be with set origin and set size?

I have only ever had to use set origin in connection with
multiplot (the old way, not using layout). But I'll try.

--
Dieter Britz


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: Jörg_Buchholz
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 06:26 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bookwood...@freenet.de (Jörg_Buchholz)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:26:37 +0200
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 26
Message-ID: <qir0qt$hml$1@dont-email.me>
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 06:26:37 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="8f97745dd89aeacb8690b1e5839b78c9";
logging-data="18133"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18xs9c6XN36ybLjTdNoYMV6I3DvTqw4pa8="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/60.8.0
Cancel-Lock: sha1:AgFdMR2+hY7VvwJzg6DizURCLxE=
In-Reply-To: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Language: en-GB
View all headers
On 05.08.2019 14:21, au76666 wrote:
I have this little script for plotting a data file with
two different y-ranges:

gnuplot << eoi
set term postscript enh eps 24
set output 'Ibandcompare.eps'
set xlabel 'log10 T'
set ylabel "IBAND.f90 - IBAND.cpp"
set xrange [-40:320]
plot 'ibandcompare.dat' w l lt 1
set yrange [-0.001:0.001]
replot
quit
eoi

The result can be seen here: http://www.dieterbritz.dk/Ibandcompare.pdf

Why is the second plot shifted upward and to the right, so that
parts of it are out of the picture? How do I prevent that?


Sorry, this is not reproducible. With Version 5.2 patchlevel 7 (WIN)
both plots are well centred. Can it be a problem from your "eps-Viewer"?

Jörg


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: au76666
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:09 UTC
References: 1 2
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bri...@chem.au.dk (au76666)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:09:38 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 33
Message-ID: <qir6s2$isu$1@dont-email.me>
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me> <qir0qt$hml$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:09:38 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="60c007eb1222b2e471c04f772d8a086a";
logging-data="19358"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+AYm/6q+SwbRzuRWidO8PZ+7u/LdAFS3c="
User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:5SoDBBZwEOWYWmlx1/xUgO1UrwY=
View all headers
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:26:37 +0200, Jörg Buchholz wrote:

On 05.08.2019 14:21, au76666 wrote:
I have this little script for plotting a data file with two different
y-ranges:

gnuplot << eoi set term postscript enh eps 24 set output
'Ibandcompare.eps'
set xlabel 'log10 T'
set ylabel "IBAND.f90 - IBAND.cpp"
set xrange [-40:320]
plot 'ibandcompare.dat' w l lt 1 set yrange [-0.001:0.001]
replot quit eoi

The result can be seen here: http://www.dieterbritz.dk/Ibandcompare.pdf

Why is the second plot shifted upward and to the right, so that parts
of it are out of the picture? How do I prevent that?


Sorry, this is not reproducible. With Version 5.2 patchlevel 7 (WIN)
both plots are well centred. Can it be a problem from your "eps-Viewer"?

Jörg

Ah, so I might have an older version. It says
Version 5.0 patchlevel 3    last modified 2016-02-21

So I will have to find out how to upgrade, without
(hopefully) uninstalling it and re-installing it.

--
Dieter Britz


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: au76666
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:18 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bri...@chem.au.dk (au76666)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:18:31 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 15
Message-ID: <qir7cn$isu$3@dont-email.me>
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me> <qir0qt$hml$1@dont-email.me>
<qir6s2$isu$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:18:31 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="60c007eb1222b2e471c04f772d8a086a";
logging-data="19358"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18u7zM96CPtaZDnOGb7sDpQibC2MakXzQg="
User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508
git://git.gnome.org/pan2)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:lnySbOim9c9y34N5/czcwcfIhAw=
View all headers
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:09:38 +0000, au76666 wrote:
[...]

Ah, so I might have an older version. It says Version 5.0 patchlevel 3 
 last modified 2016-02-21

So I will have to find out how to upgrade, without (hopefully)
uninstalling it and re-installing it.

I run Ubuntu 16.04. Can I use apt-get to upgrade just gnuplot?
Or what is the best way to do this? I regularly use apt-get to
update & upgrade, but that has apparently not upgraded gnuplot.

--
Dieter Britz


Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
From: Jörg_Buchholz
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:35 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: bookwood...@freenet.de (Jörg_Buchholz)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
Subject: Re: Why does it look like this?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:35:01 +0200
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 36
Message-ID: <qir8bm$r4p$1@dont-email.me>
References: <qi9708$5pg$1@dont-email.me> <qir0qt$hml$1@dont-email.me>
<qir6s2$isu$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:35:02 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="5872a2fa105ace938a934050844860ba";
logging-data="27801"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/MlQJSuCES7xEMZ97YBfufCPxvfh/es4c="
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/60.7.0
Cancel-Lock: sha1:XKph3/AVlzlNc8ItyN4gDKKqJ04=
In-Reply-To: <qir6s2$isu$1@dont-email.me>
Content-Language: en-GB
View all headers
On 12/08/2019 10:09, au76666 wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:26:37 +0200, Jörg Buchholz wrote:

On 05.08.2019 14:21, au76666 wrote:
I have this little script for plotting a data file with two different
y-ranges:

gnuplot << eoi set term postscript enh eps 24 set output
'Ibandcompare.eps'
set xlabel 'log10 T'
set ylabel "IBAND.f90 - IBAND.cpp"
set xrange [-40:320]
plot 'ibandcompare.dat' w l lt 1 set yrange [-0.001:0.001]
replot quit eoi

The result can be seen here: http://www.dieterbritz.dk/Ibandcompare.pdf

Why is the second plot shifted upward and to the right, so that parts
of it are out of the picture? How do I prevent that?


Sorry, this is not reproducible. With Version 5.2 patchlevel 7 (WIN)
both plots are well centred. Can it be a problem from your "eps-Viewer"?

Jörg

Ah, so I might have an older version. It says
Version 5.0 patchlevel 3    last modified 2016-02-21

I have done a test on a Linux-System with Version 5.0 patchlevel 6. Same result, both plots (.eps) are well centred. Displayed with evince, okular and ghostview.


Jörg



1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor