Depends on how you define "always". :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710211647.JAA17957@wall.org>

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

SubjectAuthor
* USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi
+* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi
| +* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WThe Natural Philosopher
| |`- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi
| `- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WScott Alfter
`* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WTheo
 +- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WComputer Nerd Kev
  +* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi
  |+* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WThe Natural Philosopher
  ||`* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WLars Poulsen
  || `- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi
  |`- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WDavid Higton
  `* Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WThe Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero WKyonshi

1
USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<as3f8k-145.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9001&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9001

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:52:30 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:52 UTC

I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I just
got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for network
stability it might not be better to just use a USB to Ethernet converter
to connect it directly to the router.
Does that make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than
having my local network DNS run over Wifi.

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<up2pm7$3bult$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9003&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9003

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:33:27 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:33 UTC

On 27/01/2024 10:52, Kyonshi wrote:
> I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I
> just got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for
> network stability it might not be better to just use a USB to
> Ethernet converter to connect it directly to the router. Does that
> make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than having
> my local network DNS run over Wifi.

I wouldn't want to run anything that is critical to the whole network
over wifi.

Id be tempted to substitute a Pi4 B or similar By the time you have
added all the extra hardware to the Zero....

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<8j6f8k-c9e.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9006&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9006

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:38:51 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:38 UTC

On 1/27/2024 12:33 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 10:52, Kyonshi wrote:
>> I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I
>> just got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for
>> network stability it might not be better to just use a USB to
>> Ethernet converter to connect it directly to the router. Does that
>> make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than having
>> my local network DNS run over Wifi.
>
> I wouldn't want to run anything that is critical to the whole network
> over wifi.
>
> Id be tempted to substitute a Pi4 B or similar By the time you have
> added all the extra hardware to the Zero....

Part of why I want to do it with the Zero is to make it as low spec and
low cost as possible. Of course now I have checked for USB-to-ethernet
connectors, and it turns out micro usb ones are 5 times as expensive as
normal ones.

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<oGj*99tBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9007&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9007

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 27 Jan 2024 12:58:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:58 UTC

Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I just
> got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for network
> stability it might not be better to just use a USB to Ethernet converter
> to connect it directly to the router.
> Does that make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than
> having my local network DNS run over Wifi.

Don't see why not, prevents you from being affected by wifi interference.

One thought though, if you want an Ethernet Pi it could be worth upgrading
to a fullsize Pi with Ethernet included. The cost of a used Pi 1/2/3 might
be in the same ballpark as buying a USB ethernet adapter: a 2 or 3 would
give you better performance and you get spare USB ports where the ethernet
would block the Zero's single USB (and you need an OTG cable for the Zero on
top of the ethernet dongle).

A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit. I'm not
sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but perhaps more than
100Mbit. So it depends if you're going to be bandwidth limited or not.

Theo

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<up33o5$3dj69$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9009&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9009

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:25:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:25 UTC

On 27/01/2024 11:38, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 1/27/2024 12:33 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 27/01/2024 10:52, Kyonshi wrote:
>>> I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I
>>> just got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for
>>> network stability it might not be better to just use a USB to
>>> Ethernet converter to connect it directly to the router. Does that
>>> make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than having
>>> my local network DNS run over Wifi.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to run anything that is critical to the whole network
>> over wifi.
>>
>> Id be tempted to substitute a Pi4 B or similar By the time you have
>> added all the extra hardware to the Zero....
>>

> Part of why I want to do it with the Zero is to make it as low spec and
> low cost as possible. Of course now I have checked for USB-to-ethernet
> connectors, and it turns out micro usb ones are 5 times as expensive as
> normal ones.

That was sort of my point...

Lucas Bergkamp

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<up33tq$3dj69$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9010&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9010

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:28:10 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:28 UTC

On 27/01/2024 12:58, Theo wrote:
> Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just installed a pihole (and a leafnode server) on a Pi Zero W I just
>> got. The Zero of course has only Wifi, but I was thinking if for network
>> stability it might not be better to just use a USB to Ethernet converter
>> to connect it directly to the router.
>> Does that make sense? I mostly am thinking it might be more stable than
>> having my local network DNS run over Wifi.
>
> Don't see why not, prevents you from being affected by wifi interference.
>
> One thought though, if you want an Ethernet Pi it could be worth upgrading
> to a fullsize Pi with Ethernet included. The cost of a used Pi 1/2/3 might
> be in the same ballpark as buying a USB ethernet adapter: a 2 or 3 would
> give you better performance and you get spare USB ports where the ethernet
> would block the Zero's single USB (and you need an OTG cable for the Zero on
> top of the ethernet dongle).
>
> A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
> ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit. I'm not
> sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but perhaps more than
> 100Mbit. So it depends if you're going to be bandwidth limited or not.

#iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"xxxxxxx"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point:
30:46:9A:A2:89:F6
Bit Rate=65 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=42/70 Signal level=-68 dBm

It for sure is no match for Ethernet

I get more from my laptop against the same access point
> Theo

Lucas Bergkamp

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<e6vf8k-ooa.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9016&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9016

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:38:42 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:38 UTC

On 1/27/2024 3:25 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 11:38, Kyonshi wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't want to run anything that is critical to the whole network
>>> over wifi.
>>>
>>> Id be tempted to substitute a Pi4 B or similar By the time you have
>>> added all the extra hardware to the Zero....
>>>

>> Part of why I want to do it with the Zero is to make it as low spec
>> and low cost as possible. Of course now I have checked for
>> USB-to-ethernet connectors, and it turns out micro usb ones are 5
>> times as expensive as normal ones.
>
> That was sort of my point...

ah, found one for under 10 bucks, that should be ok. Will try to use
that one.

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<65b57980@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9019&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9019

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: 28 Jan 2024 07:45:37 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:45 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
> ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit.

Ah but that's assuming that the Pi Zeros are quick enough to run
the USB network interface at the maximum possible speed.
Unfortunately benchmarks show that's not the case. Here they only
get 56Mbits/s to 111Mbits/s on a RPi Zero W using a USB Ethernet
adapter:
https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/

> I'm not sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but
> perhaps more than 100Mbit.

The built-in WiFi is even worse, 38.8Mbits/s max., and they also
say that its performance depends on the orientation of the board.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<g6nh8k-p1m.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9023&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9023

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 11:34:24 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:34 UTC

On 1/27/2024 10:45 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
>> ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit.
>
> Ah but that's assuming that the Pi Zeros are quick enough to run
> the USB network interface at the maximum possible speed.
> Unfortunately benchmarks show that's not the case. Here they only
> get 56Mbits/s to 111Mbits/s on a RPi Zero W using a USB Ethernet
> adapter:
> https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
>
>> I'm not sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but
>> perhaps more than 100Mbit.
>
> The built-in WiFi is even worse, 38.8Mbits/s max., and they also
> say that its performance depends on the orientation of the board.

In any case, in this case I want it for DNS resolution and some nntp
feeds. It even has more or less acceptable speeds on wifi
(microseconds), I just want a more stable connection. I don't think that
should make much of a difference.

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<up5b23$3rtr5$8@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9025&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9025

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:42:11 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:42 UTC

On 27/01/2024 21:45, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
>> ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit.
>
> Ah but that's assuming that the Pi Zeros are quick enough to run
> the USB network interface at the maximum possible speed.
> Unfortunately benchmarks show that's not the case. Here they only
> get 56Mbits/s to 111Mbits/s on a RPi Zero W using a USB Ethernet
> adapter:
> https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
>
>> I'm not sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but
>> perhaps more than 100Mbit.
>
> The built-in WiFi is even worse, 38.8Mbits/s max., and they also
> say that its performance depends on the orientation of the board.

I think it connects a bit faster than that, but for sure if throughput
is your destination, a Pi zero isn't where you start.

My second one is doing a sterling service and has saved me way more
than it costs by managing my central heating with some smarts.

My first runs a hifi system in one room, connecting to my media server
or the internet to play music.

So much easier than sticking vinyl on the turntable or a CD in the player..

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<up5b98$3rtr5$9@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9026&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9026

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:46:00 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:46 UTC

On 28/01/2024 10:34, Kyonshi wrote:
> In any case, in this case I want it for DNS resolution and some nntp
> feeds. It even has more or less acceptable speeds on wifi
> (microseconds), I just want a more stable connection. I don't think that
> should make much of a difference.

Used to do that over a 9600kbps modem back in the day
Certainly fine on 10Mbps Ethernet

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<556fd7295b.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9029&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9029

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:14:45 GMT
 by: David Higton - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:14 UTC

In message <g6nh8k-p1m.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>
Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/27/2024 10:45 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> > Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
> > > ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit.
> >
> > Ah but that's assuming that the Pi Zeros are quick enough to run the USB
> > network interface at the maximum possible speed. Unfortunately benchmarks
> > show that's not the case. Here they only get 56Mbits/s to 111Mbits/s on a
> > RPi Zero W using a USB Ethernet adapter:
> > https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
> >
> > > I'm not sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but perhaps
> > > more than 100Mbit.
> >
> > The built-in WiFi is even worse, 38.8Mbits/s max., and they also say that
> > its performance depends on the orientation of the board.
> >

> In any case, in this case I want it for DNS resolution and some nntp
> feeds. It even has more or less acceptable speeds on wifi (microseconds),
> I just want a more stable connection. I don't think that should make much
> of a difference.

Nothing beats the stability of a wired connection.

David

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<f3ri8k-cqg.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9030&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9030

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:47:13 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:47 UTC

On 1/28/2024 11:42 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 21:45, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>> A counterpoint though is that the Pis before the 3+ only have 100Mbit
>>> ethernet, whereas a gigabit USB dongle would get you about 300Mbit.
>>
>> Ah but that's assuming that the Pi Zeros are quick enough to run
>> the USB network interface at the maximum possible speed.
>> Unfortunately benchmarks show that's not the case. Here they only
>> get 56Mbits/s to 111Mbits/s on a RPi Zero W using a USB Ethernet
>> adapter:
>> https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
>>
>>> I'm not sure what bandwidth you get out of the Zero W wifi, but
>>> perhaps more than 100Mbit.
>>
>> The built-in WiFi is even worse, 38.8Mbits/s max., and they also
>> say that its performance depends on the orientation of the board.
>>
> I think it connects a bit faster than that, but for sure if throughput
> is your destination, a Pi zero isn't where you start.
>
> My second one  is doing a sterling service and has saved me way more
> than it costs by managing my central heating with some smarts.
>
> My first runs a hifi system in one room, connecting to my media server
> or the internet to play music.
>
> So much easier than sticking vinyl on the turntable or a CD in the player..

I was just realizing that both my Pis have bluetooth, and that I could
actually do something with that. Unfortunately so far I haven't been
able to discover the bluetooth speaker I have with the Pi. I guess I
have to work on that.

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<UwfuN.258119$7sbb.149698@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9081&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9081

Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Originator: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:22:28 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:22 UTC

In article <8j6f8k-c9e.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>,
Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>Part of why I want to do it with the Zero is to make it as low spec and
>low cost as possible. Of course now I have checked for USB-to-ethernet
>connectors, and it turns out micro usb ones are 5 times as expensive as
>normal ones.

Amazon seems to charge about the same for both. I found plenty of options
for MicroUSB Ethernet adapters in the $10-$15 range:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=micro+usb+ethernet+adapter

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<upek7s$1nhlr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9117&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9117

From: lar...@beagle-ears.com (Lars Poulsen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:14:04 -0800
 by: Lars Poulsen - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:14 UTC

On 1/28/2024 2:46 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 10:34, Kyonshi wrote:
>> In any case, in this case I want it for DNS resolution and some nntp
>> feeds. It even has more or less acceptable speeds on wifi
>> (microseconds), I just want a more stable connection. I don't think
>> that should make much of a difference.
>
> Used to do that over a 9600kbps modem back in the day
^^^^^^^^
That should be 9600 bps (9.6 kbps)

> Certainly fine on 10Mbps Ethernet

Re: USB-Ethernet for Pi Zero W

<c61s8k-hbo.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9123&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9123

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 09:26:20 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:26 UTC

On 2/1/2024 12:14 AM, Lars Poulsen wrote:
> On 1/28/2024 2:46 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 28/01/2024 10:34, Kyonshi wrote:
>>> In any case, in this case I want it for DNS resolution and some nntp
>>> feeds. It even has more or less acceptable speeds on wifi
>>> (microseconds), I just want a more stable connection. I don't think
>>> that should make much of a difference.
>>
>> Used to do that over a 9600kbps modem back in the day
>                          ^^^^^^^^
> That should be 9600 bps (9.6 kbps)
>
>> Certainly fine on 10Mbps Ethernet

Yeah, I have it running now. Seems to be fine.