From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Does routing HDMI audio via graphics card, slow down graphics
card ? Split graphics/audio via 2 HDMI ports ?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:29:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:29 UTC

On 8/29/2022 12:11 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Some computer motherboards do not have HDMI output port.
>
> HDMI output port is necessary to connect computer to Denon Receiver for top audio.
>
> If computer/motherboard does not have HDMI output port, then HDMI output port of graphics card could be used to contact to Denon Receiver.
>
> Some questions though:
>
> Does this slow down the graphics card ?
>
> Also I assume that motherboard with HDMI outport can be used to connect to Denon Receiver while Graphics Card can be used to connect to monitor ?
> (Even if two HDMI ports present, two can be used ? one for audio and one for graphics ?)
>
> Can HDMI and Display port of motherboard be used at same time with just Ryzen 7000 integrated RNA2 graphics chip ? So without graphics card ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

No, multiplexing audio over HDMI should not slow anything down.

The card designers can make the hardware block look like an
HDAudio, audio samples can travel by a hardware path like DMA.

On the machine I'm typing on, the hardware is

NVidia High Definition Audio

in the Sound, Video, and Game controllers sub-group of Device Manager.
One of the drivers in the driver stack is:

nvhda64v.sys

and that's a shorthand for HDAudio or High Definition Audio. The
Zen3 I have here, would have a similar scheme.

*******

On the Integrated graphics, you can run two monitors. The hardware
itself (internal crossbar) may support more monitors than that, but
there won't be connectors for those. I think there may have been
one motherboard with four video connectors, at some point in the past,
but they're not doing that sort of thing now, today. Sometimes
the chip has a generic digital bus output, and you connect a
converter chip to make yet another graphics output, but this
is seldom done for cost reasons.

Typical (mainstream) motherboards have a HDMI and a DP on the
IO plate for this. You can run the monitors Spanned. I don't
know if Mirroring of monitors is allowed or not (which is used
for copying your desktop screen, to run in parallel on
the TV set). Both ports should have HDCP, so Hollywood content
is protected when sent to the TV set. (Protected by the
pixel stream in flight, being encrypted with HDCP.)

The integrated graphics on a Zen processor, will "steal" system
RAM. My Zen3 stole 4GB of system RAM. Now that I have an NVidia
card in the machine, I got my 4GB of RAM back again so I can use it.
Either the motherboard GPU or the video card GPU, could run
sound over HDMI with low overhead.

The Zen 7000 series coming soon, is an "expensive" platform, as
the motherboard is likely to be more expensive, and it uses
DDR5 only. Compared to the 5600G I'm typing this on, this
could add another $300 for an equivalent capability. But
it will be the newest thing, so I guess it will be "the best".

Paul