Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

SubjectAuthor
* Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
+* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerJJenssen
||`- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerJJenssen
|`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerChris Green
| +- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
| `- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerChris Elvidge
+* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerJoerg Walther
|`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
| `- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerJoerg Walther
+- Re: Raspberry Pi Imagerdruck
+* Re: Raspberry Pi Imagerdruck
|`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
| `- Re: Raspberry Pi Imagerdruck
`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerLawrence D'Oliveiro
 +* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
 |`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerThe Natural Philosopher
 | `- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerBob Latham
 +- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerPancho
 +* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerJoerg Walther
 |`* Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerAnssi Saari
 | `- Re: Raspberry Pi ImagerThe Natural Philosopher
 `- Re: Raspberry Pi Imagerdruck

1
Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2a4b1189bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9035&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9035

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Raspberry Pi Imager
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17 UTC

I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.

I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.

First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
menu. Why??? Grrr.

So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.

Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up830m$ekmm$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9036&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9036

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi Imager
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:43:18 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:43 UTC

On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>
> I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
> so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.
>
> First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
> selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
> pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
> 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
> menu. Why??? Grrr.
>
> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
>
> Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?
>
> Bob.

Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot device.
I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up8502$eujr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9037&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9037

From: joema...@arcor.de (JJenssen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:17:06 +0100
 by: JJenssen - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:17 UTC

Am 29.01.24 um 12:43 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
>> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>>
>> I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
>> so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.
>>
>> First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
>> selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
>> pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
>> 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
>> menu. Why???  Grrr.
>>
>> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
>> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
>> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
>>
>> Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?
>>
>> Bob.
>>
> Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot device.
> I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...

AFAIK there is no and will not be a 64b BOOKWORM.
If I'm wrong let me know.

---

Regards
JJenssen

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up85qt$f3f7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9038&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9038

From: joema...@arcor.de (JJenssen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:31:25 +0100
 by: JJenssen - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:31 UTC

Am 29.01.24 um 13:17 schrieb JJenssen:
> Am 29.01.24 um 12:43 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
>> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
>>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
>>> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>>>
>>> I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
>>> so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.
>>>
>>> First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
>>> selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
>>> pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
>>> 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
>>> menu. Why???  Grrr.
>>>
>>> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
>>> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
>>> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
>>>
>>> Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?
>>>
>>> Bob.
>>>
>> Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot device.
>> I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...
>
> AFAIK there is no and will not be a 64b  BOOKWORM.
> If I'm wrong let me know.
>
> ---
>
> Regards
>   JJenssen

Silly me _> segmentation fault, brain dumped...
It is valid for 32b

---

Regards
JJenssen

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<trhk8k-333l1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9039&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9039

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:21:49 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:21 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
> > I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
> > using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
> >
> > I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
> > so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.
> >
> > First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
> > selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
> > pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
> > 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
> > menu. Why??? Grrr.
> >
> > So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
> > that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
> > it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
> >
> > Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?
> >
> > Bob.
> >
> Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot device.
> I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...

Well it used to be but with the increasing paranoia about security if
you want a headless Pi with a working ssh login it's really quite
difficult 'by hand' whereas Pi Imager makes it fairly straightforward.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<pa7frih1qikjeqmnd05t2rbjc8johequec@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9041&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9041

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:48:54 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:48 UTC

Bob Latham wrote:

>First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
>selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
>pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
>5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
>menu. Why??? Grrr.

When OS options disappear after selecting a certain model of Pi then
obviously the OS is not available for this version of Pi. There may be
some images available in beta stadium, but this should not be offered on
the official Pi imager. The imager also gives you the opportunity so set
a password prior to installing since standard passwords are no longer
allowed on the latest versions of RPi OS

>So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
>that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
>it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.

How is this supposed to work? The OS you run the installer on simply
does not see the NAS if you do not map it first, so why not map it? It
definitely works on other drives as C since I keep my downloads on E and
use RPi imager from there and sometimes I have an image on my mapped
NAS, which is I.

-jw-

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2a5450a2bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9042&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9042

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:58:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:58 UTC

In article <trhk8k-333l1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>,
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot
> > device. I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...

> Well it used to be but with the increasing paranoia about security
> if you want a headless Pi with a working ssh login it's really
> quite difficult 'by hand' whereas Pi Imager makes it fairly
> straightforward.

If you're starting from scratch I take your point, the lack of
default username/password has made it much harder. But that's only
once really. I imagine that everyone now has a userconf.txt file
ready to drop in alongside an empty ssh file.

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up89kf$fng5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9044&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9044

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:36:15 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:36 UTC

On 29/01/2024 12:21, Chris Green wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
>>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
>>> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>>>
>>> I like to write notes on everything I do so I'll know next time and
>>> so I tried to make notes on using Rpi Imager. Dear me.
>>>
>>> First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
>>> selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you select
>>> pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for pi 4 or pi
>>> 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is removed from the
>>> menu. Why??? Grrr.
>>>
>>> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
>>> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
>>> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
>>>
>>> Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?
>>>
>>> Bob.
>>>
>> Dunno m8. Never used it. Always burn the image onto the boot device.
>> I reckoned it was for dumb (blonde) windows users...
>
> Well it used to be but with the increasing paranoia about security if
> you want a headless Pi with a working ssh login it's really quite
> difficult 'by hand' whereas Pi Imager makes it fairly straightforward.

And that's the problem - "fairly" straightforward.
It assumes you have a compatible computer that can be loaded with the
imager software.

If there was an easily accessible page with instructions to do it
without the imager all would be OK - but you have to look for it.

Instructions should be on (or accessible from) the "Operating System
Images" page - if you're here you have already decided not to use the
imager - for creating wireless connection, ssh setup, initial user,
initial password.

Why is/are the instructions in a blog post* rather than on a page
accessible from the Image page.

* https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WAS NOT TOUCHED "THERE" BY AN ANGEL

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2a5bc534bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9047&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9047

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:20:12 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 14:20 UTC

In article
Joerg Walther <joerg.walther@magenta.de> wrote:
> Bob Latham wrote:

> >First off I found that the OS choice menu kept changing. If you
> >selected it first then you could select any RPi OS but if you
> >select pi3 first then OS options disappear. I don't meant OS for
> >pi 4 or pi 5 I'd understand that but Bookworm 32 bit lite is
> >removed from the menu. Why??? Grrr.

> When OS options disappear after selecting a certain model of Pi
> then obviously the OS is not available for this version of Pi.

I'm not too sure about that. Look at this page..
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/
Third option on the page...
Raspberry Pi OS lite Bookworm and on the left along side that it says
"Compatible with: All Pi Models".

> There may be some images available in beta stadium, but this should
> not be offered on the official Pi imager.

Agreed but we're not talking beta. "Compatible with: All Pi Models"
yet blocked by Imager.

> The imager also gives you the opportunity so set a password prior
> to installing since standard passwords are no longer allowed on the
> latest versions of RPi OS.

I don't deny it has some advantages but it has serious limitations
too.

> >So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
> >that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
> >it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.

> How is this supposed to work?

No idea but I have many bits of software that have no problem
accessing files with a UNC path, Serif photo plus for example and
Tag&rename for another off the top of my head.

> The OS you run the installer on
> simply does not see the NAS if you do not map it first,

Not entirely true I don't think, else Serif etc. wouldn't work.

> so why not map it?

There are reasons not to map drives, especially on drives not always
switched on.

> It definitely works on other drives as C since I keep my
> downloads on E and use RPi imager from there and sometimes I have
> an image on my mapped NAS, which is I.

Don't dispute it.

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<vfffrip0lt4bsl9v53clo98invchek7kqm@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9049&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9049

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:03:58 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:03 UTC

Bob Latham wrote:

>> There may be some images available in beta stadium, but this should
>> not be offered on the official Pi imager.
>
>Agreed but we're not talking beta. "Compatible with: All Pi Models"
>yet blocked by Imager.

OK, then you may have discovered a bug in this version of the imager, I
haven't used it in a while and have not come across this version.

-jw-

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up8r1t$imuv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9051&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9051

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:33:32 +0000
 by: druck - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:33 UTC

On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
[Snip]
> Is this me? Or is this tool just a bit pants?

Last time I tried it, I set some of the advanced options such as ssh,
username and WiFi SSID, but it didn't seem to work. SO I went back to dd
and copying config files on to the FAT partition.

---druck

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<up8rob$imuv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9052&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9052

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:45:30 +0000
 by: druck - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:45 UTC

On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.

So your NAS was in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a
disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard',
and Raspberry Pi Imager didn't find it? - Tsk!

---druck

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2a79075bbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9056&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9056

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:39:47 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:39 UTC

In article <up8rob$imuv$2@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
> > So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
> > that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
> > it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.

> So your NAS was in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a
> disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the
> Leopard', and Raspberry Pi Imager didn't find it? - Tsk!

You forgot both the moat with crocodiles and the boiling oil. :-)

Well, I'm used to PC software that is happy to use a UNC path and I
was surprised and disappointed when Imager doesn't seem to.

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upa1mk$s992$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9061&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9061

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:33 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham wrote:

> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.

What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2ac46842bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9064&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9064

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:23:21 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:23 UTC

In article <upa1mk$s992$2@dont-email.me>,
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham wrote:

> > I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and
> > burn it using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out
> > Rpi Imager.

> What does it do that a simple "dd" command doesn't?

In truth I don't know enough to fully answer that question as I've
little idea what 'dd' is or does.

I would guess it is a Linux command and if so my only answer might be
- burn an image to SD card on a PC.

I was looking at Pi Imager because I should have a good reason for
rejecting the default method and because I was looking for the best
way in for a newbie, even newer than me. :-)

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upanun$vden$8@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9072&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9072

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:52:55 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:52 UTC

On 30/01/2024 09:23, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <upa1mk$s992$2@dont-email.me>,
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham wrote:
>
>>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and
>>> burn it using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out
>>> Rpi Imager.
>
>> What does it do that a simple "dd" command doesn't?
>
> In truth I don't know enough to fully answer that question as I've
> little idea what 'dd' is or does.
>
> I would guess it is a Linux command and if so my only answer might be
> - burn an image to SD card on a PC.
>
> I was looking at Pi Imager because I should have a good reason for
> rejecting the default method and because I was looking for the best
> way in for a newbie, even newer than me. :-)
>
> Bob.

I *think* from reading noob guides, that it does more than dump the OS
on the card, it also allows a GUI interface to set up username/password,
whether you want a gui desktop or a server, whether sshd is to be
allowed and possibly login credentials for wifi.
etc etc.

In short all the things you do manually anyway when booting a pi first
time. And using raspi-config

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upaomd$uqfl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9073&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9073

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:05:32 +0000
 by: Pancho - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham wrote:
>
>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
>> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>
> What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?

It doesn't scare the shit out of me :-)

I've had pretty good results, when I was writting images every week for
an opi5, the rpi5 doesn't seem to need that level of attention.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<5b2ad8775cbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9074&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9074

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:02:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:02 UTC

In article <upanun$vden$8@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I *think* from reading noob guides, that it does more than dump the
> OS on the card, it also allows a GUI interface to set up
> username/password, whether you want a gui desktop or a server,
> whether sshd is to be allowed and possibly login credentials for
> wifi. etc etc.

> In short all the things you do manually anyway when booting a pi
> first time. And using raspi-config

Yes, that's why I didn't want to reject it just because it was
unfamiliar.

However, you do need to be careful which pi you tell it you're
building an SD card for. If you say pi3 a lot of OS options get
removed from the menu. To get them back lie and say it's a pi4 then
they come back. Madness.

Bob.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<ir0irid44nifosfnr4topelu05s7c1el18@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9075&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9075

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:12:07 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:12 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?

You can set up username/password, enable ssh and Wifi credentials. Very
useful and time-saving, especially for headless installs. (RPi OS lite)

-jw-

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upb9vh$12n0s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9076&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9076

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:00:31 +0000
 by: druck - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:00 UTC

On 29/01/2024 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <up8rob$imuv$2@dont-email.me>,
> druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 29/01/2024 11:17, Bob Latham wrote:
>>> So I saw an option to install an OS image you have stored. I tried
>>> that but it doesn't allow you to look anywhere but the C drive for
>>> it, certainly not an unmapped NAS.
>
>> So your NAS was in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a
>> disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the
>> Leopard', and Raspberry Pi Imager didn't find it? - Tsk!
>
> You forgot both the moat with crocodiles and the boiling oil. :-)
>
> Well, I'm used to PC software that is happy to use a UNC path and I
> was surprised and disappointed when Imager doesn't seem to.

Microsoft didn't make the use of UNC paths seamless across all APIs.

---druck

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upbovu$154fo$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9078&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9078

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:16:40 +0000
 by: druck - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:16 UTC

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:17:46 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham wrote:
>
>> I don't normally use the imager, I download the OS direct and burn it
>> using Win32 Disk Imager but I thought I should try out Rpi Imager.
>
> What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?
It allows the OS image to be chosen, downloaded and written to an SD,
which replaces browsing a page, downloading and running dd.
Where the value should be is in the advanced options that can set up
ssh, default username, WiFi SSID, etc for headless operation (if they
work now), which would otherwise have to be done by creating config
files on the FAT partition after writing the image.
---druck

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<sm0y1c3ksey.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9152&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9152

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 13:38:13 +0200
sha1:fNofXACIcKw11KI/GIAQZO6TTgM=
 by: Anssi Saari - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 11:38 UTC

Joerg Walther <joerg.walther@magenta.de> writes:

>>What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?
>
> You can set up username/password, enable ssh and Wifi credentials. Very
> useful and time-saving, especially for headless installs. (RPi OS lite)

Did I misunderstand or has this basic config stuff become some kind of
secret sauce? That you can't easily enable sshd for example by just
editing a text file inside the image?

My only remaining Pi runs Ubuntu and I think I configured that via the
serial console but I'm really not sure, it's been a minute.

Re: Raspberry Pi Imager

<upilp6$2jch1$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9154&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#9154

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:04:54 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:04 UTC

On 02/02/2024 11:38, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Joerg Walther <joerg.walther@magenta.de> writes:
>
>>> What does it do that a simple “dd” command doesn’t?
>>
>> You can set up username/password, enable ssh and Wifi credentials. Very
>> useful and time-saving, especially for headless installs. (RPi OS lite)
>
> Did I misunderstand or has this basic config stuff become some kind of
> secret sauce? That you can't easily enable sshd for example by just
> editing a text file inside the image?

I think you can. actually. Its just that noobs usually boot to a
keyboard ans screen, or if they haven't one,. need a client computer GUI...

I know...