My little brother got this fortune: nohup rm -fr /& So he did...

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Inject articles

SubjectAuthor
* Inject articlesNigel Reed
`* Re: Inject articlesJulien ÉLIE
 `* Re: Inject articlesNigel Reed
  +* Re: Inject articlesJulien ÉLIE
  |`* Re: Inject articlesNigel Reed
  | `- Re: Inject articlesJulien ÉLIE
  `* Re: Inject articlesJesse Rehmer
   `- Re: Inject articlesJesse Rehmer

1
Inject articles

<20220626032938.1b0d0e13@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=898&group=news.software.nntp#898

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Inject articles
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 03:29:38 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 08:29 UTC

Hi all,

I posed the question about adding old articles to my news server and
after receiving various suggestions and a nice conversation with Jesse
Rehmer, I think I am going to go the route of signing up with a
provider and sucking down their feed.

Having never done this before, I'm after some advice.

First, I'd like to pick and choose which groups I want to get, for a
test, and then grab whole hierarchies such as soc.*

Second, I know there's a few programs that'll do this, I believe INN
comes with one and there's suck, I think. What would be the best one
to use?

Finally, I absolutely positively do not want to propagate these new
(but really old) articles to my peers. Last thing I want is every news
admin calling for my head on a block. What would be the best/proper way
to ensure these articles don't get sent out once they're injected?

Finally finally...anything else I haven't thought of that I should
consider before doing this? (apart from the obvious amount of bandwidth
and disk space) etc?

I appreciate the feedback and knowledge of those who've delved into
this more than I have.

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Inject articles

<t99h8f$nsif$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=899&group=news.software.nntp#899

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Inject articles
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:51:43 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:51 UTC

Hi Nigel,

> First, I'd like to pick and choose which groups I want to get, for a
> test, and then grab whole hierarchies such as soc.*

OK, you can begin with a few messages from a newsgroup to ensure
everything is OK (accepted by your news server, and not propagated to
others). Then all the history of a whole newsgroup, and then a whole
hierarchy, and then other hierarchies.

> Second, I know there's a few programs that'll do this, I believe INN
> comes with one and there's suck, I think. What would be the best one
> to use?

INN comes with pullnews:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.html

I've not compared how fast pullnews and suck perform each other. I
believe both of them will do the job for you.

> Finally, I absolutely positively do not want to propagate these new
> (but really old) articles to my peers. Last thing I want is every news
> admin calling for my head on a block. What would be the best/proper way
> to ensure these articles don't get sent out once they're injected?

Good question.
I assume your news server is already receiving and transferring news
with peers.

Maybe other people will have a better suggestion. I would just use
something like "pullnews -F pulled" to add "pulled" in the Path header
field of articles you're pulling. And for every outgoing feed
parametered in your newsfeeds file, add "pulled" in the exclusion pattern:

news.server.com/pulled:*:Tm:innfeed!

> Finally finally...anything else I haven't thought of that I should
> consider before doing this? (apart from the obvious amount of bandwidth
> and disk space) etc?

I assume you've read the beginning of:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4

notably saying to disable Perl and Python filter hooks, and parametring
INN not to reject articles older than 10 days (which is the default).
Also make sure to correctly configure expire.ctl not to expire the
articles :-)

.... and choose well your overview and storage methods :-)
If you're using INN 2.6.x, maybe tradindexed (overview) and CNFS
(storage) would be the best. Make sure to create the right amount of
CNFS buffers so that they do not wrap and erase old articles. You can
add new ones whenever you want.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le café est un breuvage qui fait dormir quand on n'en prend pas. »
(Alphonse Allais)

Re: Inject articles

<20220627003452.058eadcf@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=900&group=news.software.nntp#900

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:34:52 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 05:34 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:51:43 +0200
Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> INN comes with pullnews:
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/pullnews.html
>
> I've not compared how fast pullnews and suck perform each other. I
> believe both of them will do the job for you.

I will probably go with pullnews since it comes with INN. Seems a good
place to start.

> Good question.
> I assume your news server is already receiving and transferring news
> with peers.

That is a correct assumption'

> Maybe other people will have a better suggestion. I would just use
> something like "pullnews -F pulled" to add "pulled" in the Path
> header field of articles you're pulling. And for every outgoing feed
> parametered in your newsfeeds file, add "pulled" in the exclusion
> pattern:
>
> news.server.com/pulled:*:Tm:innfeed!

I think that is what Jesse suggested so 2 votes for that method.

> I assume you've read the beginning of:
> https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4

Never assume :) I will take a look.

> notably saying to disable Perl and Python filter hooks, and
> parametring INN not to reject articles older than 10 days (which is
> the default). Also make sure to correctly configure expire.ctl not to
> expire the articles :-)

Ah yes, that bit I am aware of.

*:A:never:never:never

I do believe that should keep articles for a long time.

> ... and choose well your overview and storage methods :-)
> If you're using INN 2.6.x, maybe tradindexed (overview) and CNFS
> (storage) would be the best. Make sure to create the right amount of
> CNFS buffers so that they do not wrap and erase old articles. You
> can add new ones whenever you want.

I am using 2.6.x. Just regular disk storage, will be easier for me to
throw more disk space at it, if I need it.

I appreciate the suggestions, I think they were in line with what I was
expecting.

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Inject articles

<t9cqfk$qa6i$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=902&group=news.software.nntp#902

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 19:47:31 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:47 UTC

Hi Nigel,

> *:A:never:never:never
>
> I do believe that should keep articles for a long time.

A loooong time :)

>> ... and choose well your overview and storage methods :-)
>> If you're using INN 2.6.x, maybe tradindexed (overview) and CNFS
>> (storage) would be the best. Make sure to create the right amount of
>> CNFS buffers so that they do not wrap and erase old articles. You
>> can add new ones whenever you want.
>
> I am using 2.6.x. Just regular disk storage, will be easier for me to
> throw more disk space at it, if I need it.

When speaking of CNFS for storage, I meant regular disk storage with
"method cnfs" in storage.conf instead of "method tradspool" (the default).
There's 1 file per article with tradspool whereas CNFS uses large buffer
files containing lots of articles (even millions if the buffer is large
enough).
If you never expire articles, tradspool will consume more and more inodes.

(timecaf and timehash are other storage methods, but less used than the
above two ones.)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Vous refusez de porter pilum ?
– Ben… On préfère se faire porter pâles… » (Astérix)

Re: Inject articles

<5495600633.2968cbfa@freebsd-inject1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=904&group=news.software.nntp#904

From: jesse.re...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:35:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:35 UTC

Another tip, pulling lots of articles over a single connection, regardless how
fast the upstream server, is very slow. The nice thing about pullnews is that
it only uses one config file, and you can create many configuration files and
have multiple pullnews instances running at the same time.

What I did was create many pullnewsXX.marks files that initially contained the
first line (server user password), got a list of groups to copy/paste (example
below prints all comp.* groups from the db/active file separated by commas):

grep -E '^comp\.' db/active | sort | awk '{printf "%s%s",(NR>1?",":""),$1}
END{print ""}'

Then took chunks of groups at a time and ran pullnews inside a screen, doing
up to 30 at a time with something like this:

screen -S comp1 "pullnews -c pullnews01.marks -F fakepathname -G
comp.admin.policy,comp.ai,comp.ai.alife,comp.ai.doc-analysis.misc,comp.ai.doc
-analysis.ocr"

screen -S comp2 "pullnews -c pullnews02.marks -F fakepathname -G
comp.ai.edu,comp.ai.fuzzy,comp.ai.games,comp.ai.genetic,comp.ai.nat-lang,comp
..ai.neural-nets,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.ai.shells,comp.ai.vision"

Happy slurping :)

-Jesse

Re: Inject articles

<5590277315.b98a0a6d@freebsd-inject1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=905&group=news.software.nntp#905

From: jesse.re...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:51:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:51 UTC

ALSO, BEWARE - If you're using a commercial provider they are going to have
*tons* of binary articles in the Big8 groups.

While its recommended to turn filtering off, I opted to disable basically all
the checks inside pyClean exclude the misplaced binary check. If you don't,
you'll waste terabytes of space with crap that doesn't belong.

Re: Inject articles

<20220627183320.3e8f3260@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=908&group=news.software.nntp#908

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:33:20 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 23:33 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jun 2022 19:47:31 +0200
Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> When speaking of CNFS for storage, I meant regular disk storage with
> "method cnfs" in storage.conf instead of "method tradspool" (the
> default). There's 1 file per article with tradspool whereas CNFS uses
> large buffer files containing lots of articles (even millions if the
> buffer is large enough).
> If you never expire articles, tradspool will consume more and more
> inodes.

Ah right, sorry. This isn't my day job ;)

Is it possible to convert from tradspool to cnfs or do I need to start
from scratch? I guess this might be in the faq so I'll look there
anyway.

I'm concerned about allocating enough space for all the articles I'm
about to drag down v over allocating and wasting space that won't be
used.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Inject articles

<t9fcj3$sdap$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=914&group=news.software.nntp#914

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:08:51 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 17:08 UTC

Hi Nigel,

> Is it possible to convert from tradspool to cnfs or do I need to start
> from scratch? I guess this might be in the faq so I'll look there
> anyway.

I'm unfortunately not aware of such a conversion tool.
I guess you have to re-feed all your articles to another INN instance
which will store the articles in CNFS.
Or you could also keep your existing articles in tradspool and start
using CNFS for new ones (just update storage.conf).

> I'm concerned about allocating enough space for all the articles I'm
> about to drag down v over allocating and wasting space that won't be
> used.

You may want to create several buffers in sequence (mode SEQUENTIAL in
cycbuff.conf), and then remove useless buffers untouched at the end of
the sequence if you created too many of them.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum. » (proverbe issu du grec)