From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.privacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: Galaxy 22 Biometrics
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 19:33:52 +0000
References: <tl0h8u$23n98$1@dont-email.me> <mdi7nht9hgkbm3h7a3fdog1dhbvv54ok68@4ax.com> <tl0hti$23q9j$1@dont-email.me> <khl7nh19e50vpnc46lkvuga8o1eh849f84@4ax.com> <tl2qej$2c5d9$1@dont-email.me> <uhrcnhdn51uors746tau6lnqjjsj0cbfpv@4ax.com> <tl5upo$cba$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tl74ud$2sid2$1@dont-email.me> <tl85lc$3iv$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tl89ss$2vcro$1@dont-email.me> <tl8b1p$2vco6$1@dont-email.me> <tl8du0$k3e$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 19:33 UTC

AJL wrote:

> On 11/18/2022 9:14 AM, sms wrote:
>
>> The big issue with phones is with NFC payments. Once your phone is
>> unlocked, the fraud potential, if the phone is lost or stolen, is
>> very high if there's no security.
>
> I don't use NFC so no problem there. I find it just as easy to dig out
> my credit card. YMMV.
>
> My big problem would be that my Google stuff has no separate pin or pw.
> Once you're into my phone you have access to my extensive Google life.
> So my phone pin will hopefully delay entry until I can get somewhere to
> change my Google PW. And also cancel that phone of course...

I just want people to THINK like intelligent well-educated adults.
If they like locking their phone, then they're welcome to lock their phone.

But what is happening, in reality, is they do NOT like unlocking their
phone with the PIN because it's a PITA as are _all_ the other unlock
methods (each having their own drawbacks and poor implementations).

My point is to get people to think like intelligent educated adults.

The question is WHY do people feel the necessity to lock their entire
phone?

One answer, which Steve gave, was he wants to use highly insecure payment
apps, and if he doesn't constantly lock/unlock his phone, that one highly
insecure payment app will bite him - which I completely understand.

But then I question Steve why doesn't he use a secure payment app instead?
I don't expect Steve to be an adult and answer that question though.

As for your "google life", why not secure that too?
What's so hard about putting a pin on your "google life" on your phone?

The point is to get people to think about the proper solution to the
problem and not to just listen to people spout why they can't do something
as simple as securing their "google life" from prying eyes.

As for your "google life", why not secure that instead of constantly
locking and unlocking the entire phone?

That's the question I want well-educated intelligent people to THINK about.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to solve the problem instead of doing whatever