Professional wrestling: ballet for the common man.

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

SubjectAuthor
* Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problemsPaul R Schmidtbleicher
+* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableCarlos E.R
|`* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvablePaul R Schmidtbleicher
| `* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvablePaul R Schmidtbleicher
|   `* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableMalcolm
|    `- Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableDon Spam's Reckless Son
|`- Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableCarlos E.R.
`* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvablePaul R Schmidtbleicher
 `* Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvableDon Spam's Reckless Son
  `- Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvablePaul R Schmidtbleicher

1
Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kbo9fjFgn4dU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=903&group=alt.os.linux.suse#903

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems
Date: 7 May 2023 00:25:23 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Sun, 7 May 2023 00:25 UTC

Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start over
again with different choices.

Most of the problems generated deal with "xxxx" needs "yyyy" which cannot
be provided. Why set forth an upgrade when a dependency cannot be
provided? I hesitate to use the "Break it" option, since in many cases I
do not know what the package is doing.

I usually select either "Keep the obsolete" or "deinstall." Deinstalling
then creates problems with other packages using the (to be) deinstalled
package as a dependency.

I've had "Tumbleweed" since 7/2020 and regular "zypper dup(s)" have been
mostly straight forward. It seems that this year, beginning in March,
these problems have intensified.

Sometimes I wish a choice was given: (x)Don't upgrade this if it will
generate a problem. The (c) option Cancels the whole upgrade so nothing
gets upgraded.
A second wish would be every (upgrade) package checks all it's
dependencies to see if they are available before being offered.

Any wise counsel?

Paul

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kboddgFhdbrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=904&group=alt.os.linux.suse#904

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable
problems
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 03:32:32 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R - Sun, 7 May 2023 01:32 UTC

On 07/05/2023 02.25, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
> problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start over
> again with different choices.
>
> Most of the problems generated deal with "xxxx" needs "yyyy" which cannot
> be provided. Why set forth an upgrade when a dependency cannot be
> provided? I hesitate to use the "Break it" option, since in many cases I
> do not know what the package is doing.
>
> I usually select either "Keep the obsolete" or "deinstall." Deinstalling
> then creates problems with other packages using the (to be) deinstalled
> package as a dependency.
>
> I've had "Tumbleweed" since 7/2020 and regular "zypper dup(s)" have been
> mostly straight forward. It seems that this year, beginning in March,
> these problems have intensified.
>
> Sometimes I wish a choice was given: (x)Don't upgrade this if it will
> generate a problem. The (c) option Cancels the whole upgrade so nothing
> gets upgraded.
> A second wish would be every (upgrade) package checks all it's
> dependencies to see if they are available before being offered.
>
> Any wise counsel?

Question: have you added repos to the defaults?

Extra repos can be a source of problems.

I can not offer you guidance, because I do not use TW, but plain Leap.
But I would suggest you ask in the mail list instead, or the forum,
because you will find there more people than here.

But I have not heard people complaining, so it must be something in your
system. My guess, extra repos.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<u388lc$3cs30$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=905&group=alt.os.linux.suse#905

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 15:21:47 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sun, 7 May 2023 13:21 UTC

Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
> problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start over
> again with different choices.
>
> Most of the problems generated deal with "xxxx" needs "yyyy" which cannot
> be provided. Why set forth an upgrade when a dependency cannot be
> provided? I hesitate to use the "Break it" option, since in many cases I
> do not know what the package is doing.
>
> I usually select either "Keep the obsolete" or "deinstall." Deinstalling
> then creates problems with other packages using the (to be) deinstalled
> package as a dependency.
>
> I've had "Tumbleweed" since 7/2020 and regular "zypper dup(s)" have been
> mostly straight forward. It seems that this year, beginning in March,
> these problems have intensified.
>
> Sometimes I wish a choice was given: (x)Don't upgrade this if it will
> generate a problem. The (c) option Cancels the whole upgrade so nothing
> gets upgraded.
> A second wish would be every (upgrade) package checks all it's
> dependencies to see if they are available before being offered.
>
> Any wise counsel?
>
> Paul

Is YaST2 -> Software -> Online Update useable under Tumbleweed? I only
use it under similar circumstances to yours (under Leap) but then it
offers more precision with the selections than Zypper does.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<pfblijxvem.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=906&group=alt.os.linux.suse#906

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 21:41:13 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 7 May 2023 19:41 UTC

On 2023-05-07 15:21, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
>> problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start over
>> again with different choices.
>>
>> Most of the problems generated deal with "xxxx" needs "yyyy" which cannot
>> be provided.  Why set forth an upgrade when a dependency cannot be
>> provided? I hesitate to use the "Break it" option, since in many cases I
>> do not know what the package is doing.
>>
>> I usually select either "Keep the obsolete" or "deinstall."  Deinstalling
>> then creates problems with other packages using the (to be) deinstalled
>> package as a dependency.
>>
>> I've had "Tumbleweed" since 7/2020 and regular "zypper dup(s)" have been
>> mostly straight forward.  It seems that this year, beginning in March,
>> these problems have intensified.
>>
>> Sometimes I wish a choice was given: (x)Don't upgrade this if it will
>> generate a problem. The (c) option Cancels the whole upgrade so nothing
>> gets upgraded.
>> A second wish would be every (upgrade) package checks all it's
>> dependencies to see if they are available before being offered.
>>
>> Any wise counsel?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Is YaST2 -> Software -> Online Update useable under Tumbleweed?

No.

The only supported method on TW, is "zypper dup".

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kbvjveFl0j4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=907&group=alt.os.linux.suse#907

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: 9 May 2023 19:07:26 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Tue, 9 May 2023 19:07 UTC

On Sun, 7 May 2023 03:32:32 +0200, Carlos E.R wrote:

> Question: have you added repos to the defaults?
>
> Extra repos can be a source of problems.

I have the default repositories and have added:
(1) Packman
(2) Brave (which only seem to service the "Brave Browser)

Also, it seems most of the problem packages seem somehow related to KDE
stuff. "libkPim5Libk.....*"

Thus far, I have chosen to avoid updating. I'll give it some time.

Paul

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<7tlqijxii5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=908&group=alt.os.linux.suse#908

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 22:09:43 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 9 May 2023 20:09 UTC

On 2023-05-09 21:07, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2023 03:32:32 +0200, Carlos E.R wrote:
>
>> Question: have you added repos to the defaults?
>>
>> Extra repos can be a source of problems.
>>

> I have the default repositories and have added:
> (1) Packman

I assume you have the proper URL for TW. You can verify by running this
command in a terminal and examining the output:

zypper lr --details | less -S

> (2) Brave (which only seem to service the "Brave Browser)

I'm not familiar with it. What exact repo and URL is it?

If you wish, you can upload your repo list to susepaste and thus we can
have a look:

zypper lr --details | susepaste -n "Paul RS" -t "repo list" -e 40320

Then post the resulting link here.

> Also, it seems most of the problem packages seem somehow related to KDE
> stuff. "libkPim5Libk.....*"
>
> Thus far, I have chosen to avoid updating. I'll give it some time.
It is not normal.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kc0864FnuchU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=909&group=alt.os.linux.suse#909

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: 10 May 2023 00:52:20 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Wed, 10 May 2023 00:52 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 22:09:43 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

*If you wish, you can upload your repo list to susepaste and thus we can
*have a look:
*zypper lr --details | susepaste -n "Paul RS" -t "repo list" -e 40320
*Then post the resulting link here.

https://susepaste.org/a4a16f223ef3

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<20230509214641.3a62b36c@grover.homelinux.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=910&group=alt.os.linux.suse#910

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 21:46:41 -0500
 by: Malcolm - Wed, 10 May 2023 02:46 UTC

On 10 May 2023 00:52:20 GMT
Paul R Schmidtbleicher <paulrs@foxinternet.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2023 22:09:43 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
> *If you wish, you can upload your repo list to susepaste and thus we
> can *have a look:
>
> *zypper lr --details | susepaste -n "Paul RS" -t "repo list" -e 40320
>
> *Then post the resulting link here.
>
> https://susepaste.org/a4a16f223ef3
Hi
That site is dead, use the https://paste.opensuse.org/ link

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230508 | GNOME Shell 44.1 | 6.3.1-1-default

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<v07sijx7ub.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=911&group=alt.os.linux.suse#911

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 12:07:59 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 10 May 2023 10:07 UTC

On 2023-05-10 04:46, Malcolm wrote:
> On 10 May 2023 00:52:20 GMT
> Paul R Schmidtbleicher <paulrs@foxinternet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 May 2023 22:09:43 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>> *If you wish, you can upload your repo list to susepaste and thus we
>> can *have a look:
>>
>> *zypper lr --details | susepaste -n "Paul RS" -t "repo list" -e 40320
>>
>> *Then post the resulting link here.
>>
>> https://susepaste.org/a4a16f223ef3
> Hi
> That site is dead, use the https://paste.opensuse.org/ link

Yeah, the command prints two links, and one of them seems to not work.

So it is <https://paste.opensuse.org/pastes/a4a16f223ef3>

Packman repo is triplicated, 5, 7 and 9. Leave only one, maybe 9.

Oh, two are disabled. Anyway, choose one. If you need mirror redundancy,
I'll tell you a different way that works.

The brave repository is designed in a manner that I can not inspect it
with Firefox. I can not see its contents.

https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/

Had to add the repo and inspect with YaST. It contains only two packages:

brave-browser - Brave Web Browser
brave-keyring - Brave Browser keyring and repository files

So that I don't see how it could mess with things, unless by requiring
old rpm versions.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kcff7vF3ielU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=912&group=alt.os.linux.suse#912

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: 15 May 2023 19:24:47 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Mon, 15 May 2023 19:24 UTC

On 7 May 2023 00:25:23 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:

> Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
> problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start
> over again with different choices.

> Paul

OK, I'm back! With too many frustrations, I've stayed away for a few
days.

Upon return, I discovered I was being offered 1260+ upgrades. (Maybe
something in there would solve earlier - seemingly unresolvable -
problems.

My first 'zupper dup' revealed there were now 8 problems (from original 4
problems days ago). The first two dealt with moving packages from
'packman' to 'opensuse.' These were the 1st option. I chose it.

I then decided to try BLINDLY using Option 1 for the other 6 problems.
Now I had 8 new problems. I did the same with these next 8 problems. It
returned 4 new problems. I followed the same Option 1 choices. That took
me back to 8 new problems; then 7 new problems, then 4 new problems, then
3, and finally 2 new problems. Choosing Option 1 every time with these
last two problems, I finally got to the "GO-AHEAD" screen and now 1550+
upgrades. I said "YES" (Do it)

NOTE: I had no idea what I was doing, what I was deleting, nor what I was
substituting.
At this point I was figuring: (1) I would save the Home Directory; (2)
Take note of my "Bread & Butter" programs; (3) Download the newest TW DVD;
and do a blank HD upgrade of TW if things all fell apart.

Well, upon 'shutdown -r now' my login came up, my desktop screen, and upon
checking my "Bread & Butter" programs, they all were working. Haven't
tried anything else though . . . .

I AM NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMENDING THIS, BUT THUS FAR IT WORKED FOR ME.

I assumed BLINDLY that possibly Option 1 was either the simplest, first
thought of, or maybe the best option (???). (At one point in my early
frustrations (4 problems) I tried the "breaking option," but discarded it
when it produced 10 new problems.

So, for you wonderful 'Linux helpers' thanks for taking the time to
consider my frustrations. - TIME WILL TELL WHEN I GET THE NEXT BATCH OF
SUGGESTED UPGRADES how my 'Blind Option 1' choices worked.

Grateful Thanks,
Paul

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<u3u2g4$352t7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=913&group=alt.os.linux.suse#913

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:51:32 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Mon, 15 May 2023 19:51 UTC

Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On 7 May 2023 00:25:23 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>
>> Lately the upgrades offered doing a 'zypper dup' come with numerous
>> problems. Choices made with 4 problems generate 6 or more as I start
>> over again with different choices.
>
>> Paul
>
> OK, I'm back! With too many frustrations, I've stayed away for a few
> days.
>
> Upon return, I discovered I was being offered 1260+ upgrades. (Maybe
> something in there would solve earlier - seemingly unresolvable -
> problems.
>
> My first 'zupper dup' revealed there were now 8 problems (from original 4
> problems days ago). The first two dealt with moving packages from
> 'packman' to 'opensuse.' These were the 1st option. I chose it.
>
> I then decided to try BLINDLY using Option 1 for the other 6 problems.
> Now I had 8 new problems. I did the same with these next 8 problems. It
> returned 4 new problems. I followed the same Option 1 choices. That took
> me back to 8 new problems; then 7 new problems, then 4 new problems, then
> 3, and finally 2 new problems. Choosing Option 1 every time with these
> last two problems, I finally got to the "GO-AHEAD" screen and now 1550+
> upgrades. I said "YES" (Do it)
>
> NOTE: I had no idea what I was doing, what I was deleting, nor what I was
> substituting.
> At this point I was figuring: (1) I would save the Home Directory; (2)
> Take note of my "Bread & Butter" programs; (3) Download the newest TW DVD;
> and do a blank HD upgrade of TW if things all fell apart.
>
> Well, upon 'shutdown -r now' my login came up, my desktop screen, and upon
> checking my "Bread & Butter" programs, they all were working. Haven't
> tried anything else though . . . .
>
> I AM NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMENDING THIS, BUT THUS FAR IT WORKED FOR ME.
>
> I assumed BLINDLY that possibly Option 1 was either the simplest, first
> thought of, or maybe the best option (???). (At one point in my early
> frustrations (4 problems) I tried the "breaking option," but discarded it
> when it produced 10 new problems.
>
> So, for you wonderful 'Linux helpers' thanks for taking the time to
> consider my frustrations. - TIME WILL TELL WHEN I GET THE NEXT BATCH OF
> SUGGESTED UPGRADES how my 'Blind Option 1' choices worked.
>
> Grateful Thanks,
> Paul

Have you tested your Audio and Video capabilities? If you have been
switching packages from Packman, that is where problems are liable to occur.

Re: Frustrations from 'zypper dup' and seemingly unresolvable problems

<kcg28aF6i9sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=914&group=alt.os.linux.suse#914

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
problems
Date: 16 May 2023 00:49:14 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Tue, 16 May 2023 00:49 UTC

On Mon, 15 May 2023 21:51:32 +0200, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> On 7 May 2023 00:25:23 GMT, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>
> Have you tested your Audio and Video capabilities? If you have been
> switching packages from Packman, that is where problems are liable to
> occur.

My "Goto" program for that is "xine" which is still flawlessly playing
professional DVD's. Still working :-)