From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: AMD Ryzen 7950X / AM5 Socket / X670E Motherboards, first
impression based on reviewer/youtube data.
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 11:46:50 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 15:46 UTC

On 10/1/2022 4:35 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Perhaps I should wait a little bit longer with this, especially since no pressure test of heatsink and heatspreader has been done, though perhaps this chip has same issue as Alder Lake because it's construction is very similiar.
>
> Having said that, these are my "feelings" about AMD Ryzen 7950X:
>
> Let's start with the good:
> 1. Multi-Threading performance is fantastic. 16 Performance Cores / 32 Threads. Core performance anywhere from 3.5 GHz to 5.X GHz.
> 2. Single-Threading performance is good/acceptable. 4.x to 5.x GHz.
> 3. Build quality of motherboards so far seem good, but time will tell. No annoying fan.
>
> Let's continue with the interesting:
> 4. The integrated GPU seems quite powerfull, but I can't help but feel that if it were double or four times as powerfull this processor would have dominated the world !
> 5. ECO mode processor can run at 104 watts or 65 watts, something like that, and still perform very well. Single threaded performance say, Multi-threaded performance slighty less but still faster then the competition.
>
> Let's continue with the bad:
> 6. First boot time are unacceptably high, especially when users need to trouble-shoot and swap hardware/memory chips/graphics cards/etc.
> 7. Second boot times also seem quite high 30 seconds for hardware 20 seconds for operating system.
>
> Let's continue with the doubtfull:
> 8. The temperatures are quite high 90 to 95 degrees celcius are reported on stock settings. This may be caused by thick/fat heatspreader, and maybe a single that contact/pressure is not good, hence waiting for pressure test to shine more light on this.
> 9. Some memory kits/chips did not work well. Most seem to test with 32 GB of RAM, an unacceptably low ammount of RAM.
>
> Let's continue with the somewhat painfull:
> 10. Processor still somewhat expensive.
> 11. Motherboards expensive.
> 12. RAM expensive.
>
> Let's continue with the regretfull:
> 13. NVIDIA graphics cards seem to have issue with power delivery and melting cables, especially RTX 4080/RTX4090 is a doubtfull release, one board partner has closed up shop already: E-VGA.
> 14. Expensive power supply needed for all these watts.
>
> Let's continue with the optimistic:
> 15. Better cases seem available, though I personally would still have to look into it.
> 16. Better monitors available, but these have been available for some time.
>
> Let's continue with the uncertain:
> 17. Lot's of USB ports, but most of them on the back, not sure how usefull this would be for connecting devices, devices may have too short cables to be of much use.
> 18. Don't know yet about M2. slots, seem a bit low.
>
> Let's continue with the usual:
> 19. Sata connections seem plenty full, 6 to 8 depending on motherboard.
> [...]

It's too expensive.

Graphics on integrated GPU, seem weaker than your GT 1030.
The graphics on my 5600G are more powerful. That was likely
done so more power could go to the CPU (EasyBake Oven). The
APU versions of the family will have a better integrated GPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x/22.html

The only reason they can cool the chipset without a fan, is
because they've split the PCH into chiplets.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amds-multi-chiplet-x670-x670e-strategy

Here's a picture of a top end board with two PCH on it. That's still
a 15W thermal load, in the lower right corner of the motherboard. The
motherboard maker is still putting a shared plate over top of those.
A plate without cooling fins.

https://technewsspace.com/msi-prepares-meg-x670e-godlike-flagship-board-for-amd-ryzen-7000-chips-with-27-phase-power-supply-subsystem/

The CPU is designed to run at 90C as a "normal" temperature.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x/images/power-per-application.png

SuperPI 25W at CPU
7ZIP 180W at CPU
Blender 230W at CPU

( https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x/24.html )

That suggests that maybe 7ZIP is memory starved. They may not
have adjusted 7ZIP properly to get more out of it (use 2x thread
count to run closer to 100% CPU). The 7ZIP "benchmark" menu item
may not be the best for this sort of test.

I still think it'll need a CPU cooler. The room will still
have the noise of the CPU fan and the case fan on the back.

And that's before any add-on video card is installed in the box.
For a top end video card, it's like an 850W power supply with
the right connectors on it. And those would be around $150.

The top end motherboard is $1300, which suggests some of the
others might be 25% more than the current generation.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-meg-x670e-godlike/p/N82E16813144552

And at $1300, look at the I/O plate. Looks like seven 1GB/sec USB
and two 2GB/sec USB. Your keyboard and mouse will use 1GB/sec ports :-)
There's space on that I/O plate for a little more goodness. Like
the USB2 for keyboard and mouse.

Click here to read the complete article