From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Dark Souls II Servers Turned on!
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 10:52:16 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:52 UTC

I guess that's good? I don't especially want others invading and disrupting
my game, but probably more upside than down:
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032

rms

Re: Dark Souls II Servers Turned on!

<614f498e-7c6d-4872-9722-90aa37f5d38en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9190&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9190

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:18:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dark Souls II Servers Turned on!
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 18:18 UTC

On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 9:52:20 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
> I guess that's good? I don't especially want others invading and disrupting
> my game, but probably more upside than down:
> https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032
>
> rms

Cool! They've probably broke the 3rd party anti-cheat mod like they did with 3,
so I'll wait until that gets fixed or replaced, which may be never. I also have to
get through my current line up of games I want to play.

- Justisaur

Re: Dark Souls II Servers Turned on!

<avtnlh1v3bupogu6qn4nmrif2k9qb15a77@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9209&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9209

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:47:33 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:47 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:18:47 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 9:52:20 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
>> I guess that's good? I don't especially want others invading and disrupting
>> my game, but probably more upside than down:
>> https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032

>Cool! They've probably broke the 3rd party anti-cheat mod like they did with 3,
>so I'll wait until that gets fixed or replaced, which may be never. I also have to
>get through my current line up of games I want to play.

I have the original "Dark Souls", and "Dark Souls III", but never got
the second game. User reviews for the second game were very negative
at the time, so I gave that game a miss (I think a lot of the problems
people had with the game have since been fixed). Still, I've never
been enough of a fan of the franchise to make me want to go and get
the second game (especially since it's still rocking a $40USD price on
Steam. All bets are off once it gets down to single digits, of course
;-).

Still, even if I had this game in my possession, the news wouldn't
excite me too much. The online aspects of the game were always the
least appealing bit to me, especially the concept of people invading
my campaign, whether to be helpful or harmful. It was always a feature
I disabled first-thing when playing the other games in the franchise.

Nonetheless, I can't help but view the news favorably, because even as
much as I dislike and don't need those servers, the fact that they are
still being kept functional means that the game is still being kept
'alive'; there's still an audience, and there's still development (at
least in the form of compatibility with modern systems). Too often
older games are left forgotten, and getting them to run on newer
hardware can be a struggle that the hapless gamer has to work on
alone.

So hurrah, the servers are back up! I still won't be making use of
them.

(Well, obviously, since I don't own the game. But even if I did. :-)

Re: Dark Souls II Servers Turned on!

<5ca5614b-9b34-4e07-ae2f-c5189a66c8c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9212&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9212

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:35 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:18:47 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 9:52:20 AM UTC-7, rms wrote:
> >> I guess that's good? I don't especially want others invading and disrupting
> >> my game, but probably more upside than down:
> >> https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1584821061501100032
> >Cool! They've probably broke the 3rd party anti-cheat mod like they did with 3,
> >so I'll wait until that gets fixed or replaced, which may be never. I also have to
> >get through my current line up of games I want to play.
> I have the original "Dark Souls", and "Dark Souls III", but never got
> the second game. User reviews for the second game were very negative
> at the time, so I gave that game a miss (I think a lot of the problems
> people had with the game have since been fixed). Still, I've never
> been enough of a fan of the franchise to make me want to go and get
> the second game (especially since it's still rocking a $40USD price on
> Steam. All bets are off once it gets down to single digits, of course
> ;-).
>
> Still, even if I had this game in my possession, the news wouldn't
> excite me too much. The online aspects of the game were always the
> least appealing bit to me, especially the concept of people invading
> my campaign, whether to be helpful or harmful. It was always a feature
> I disabled first-thing when playing the other games in the franchise.
>
> Nonetheless, I can't help but view the news favorably, because even as
> much as I dislike and don't need those servers, the fact that they are
> still being kept functional means that the game is still being kept
> 'alive'; there's still an audience, and there's still development (at
> least in the form of compatibility with modern systems). Too often
> older games are left forgotten, and getting them to run on newer
> hardware can be a struggle that the hapless gamer has to work on
> alone.
>
> So hurrah, the servers are back up! I still won't be making use of
> them.
>

> (Well, obviously, since I don't own the game. But even if I did. :-)

It's still pretty good, I'd just put it lowest of the 3, and I never
finished the DLCs. It was made by a different team, so it feels a
bit different.

People say it has the best PVP of the series, but that's never what
attracted me to the series. Unfortunately a lot of content requires
PVP in it (maybe some way around that, I don't remember, or just
cheating it up) and a lot more grinding than the other games as I
remember.

I think the start is probably better as you have a lot more options
in directions to go and don't have to go through a difficult boss
to get to the rest of the game immediately as in DS3, and a
somewhat difficult one in DS1.

I'd probably recommend ER over DS2 currently though, it too
doesn't box you in with a difficult boss and you can explore
a ton of area over it. I'd say the PVP is probably the worst
of the series, but as with any of them you don't have to PVP,
It's entirely completable without PVP, and much easier
to do without co-op due to the spirit summons. It's also
a hell of a lot prettier and has better controls.

- Justisaur