"Never ascribe to malice that which is caused by greed and ignorance." -- Cal Keegan

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ members of c/c++ ]

SubjectAuthor
* Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)olcott
+- Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)Richard Damon
+* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)Mr Flibble
> [...]
|       `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ AndyRichard Damon
|        `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ brand newolcott
|         `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ brand new computer sRichard Damon
|          `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ brand newolcott
|           `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ brand newRichard Damon
|            `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ Ordinaryolcott
|             `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ OrdinaryRichard Damon
|              `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ Ordinaryolcott
|               `- Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ OrdinaryRichard Damon
+- Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)Mr Flibble
`* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)olcott
 `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)Muttley
  `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)olcott
   `* Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)Freethinker
    `- Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)olcott

Pages:123
Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ Mike Terry ]

<20220606174952.00004643@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9162&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9162

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ Mike
Terry ]
<t7i6o1$1bk1$1@news.muc.de>
<t7ifji$hn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t7ihd1$1qaq$1@news.muc.de>
<t7j2et$gmt$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t7j8vh$2i1$1@dont-email.me>
<t7jg0k$1qko$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<SfSdnQ0vIqRj1AD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 17:49:52 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 16:49 UTC

On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:27:39 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/2022 6:59 PM, Mike Terry wrote:

> >> I think of a TM and an input string as defining a sequence (an
> >> ordered list). The elements of the sequence are pairs of a TM
> >> state name and a string representing the "tape" contents when the
> >> state was entered. Note that this view has no character of
> >> animation in it and makes the definition of the halt predicate (H)
> >> trivial:
> >>
> >> H(TM,STRING) = If length of TM(STRING) is finite then TRUE else
> >> FALSE.
> >
> > Yes, that's equivalent to what I said (or at least meant).  Your
> > sequence is my computation steps. Formally, these would be defined
> > inductively via the rule to go from step n to step n+1.  (Not an
> > animation, but the induction gives some /sense/ of step-by-step
> > calculation, and a simulator will follow this, starting at step 1,
> > then calculate step 2 and so on.  Still, I agree the entire
> > sequence [the "computation"] exists as one timeless structure.  Too
> > abstract for PO...)
>
> In other words when we make sure to conflate the program under test
> with the test program as a single computation then the whole idea of
> a halt decider becomes less coherent and

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ Mike Terry ]

<ptmdnVtrKoXKrwP_nZ2dnUU7_839fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9163&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9163

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 11:59:02 -0500
Terry ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<gJidndqNZoOC6wb_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t7g7jb$142m$1@news.muc.de>
<RaadnXFvdY_OLwb_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t7hvlv$5e5$1@dont-email.me>
<rcSdncOuUMYvGwH_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <t7i32v$j5n$1@news.muc.de>
<V4qdnY-VjKcsDAH_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t7i6o1$1bk1$1@news.muc.de>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 16:59 UTC

On 6/6/2022 11:49 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 19:27:39 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, that's equivalent to what I said (or at least meant).  Your
>>> sequence is my computation steps. Formally, these would be defined
>>> inductively via the rule to go from step n to step n+1.  (Not an
>>> animation, but the induction gives some /sense/ of step-by-step
>>> calculation, and a simulator will follow this, starting at step 1,
>>> then calculate step 2 and so on.  Still, I agree the entire
>>> sequence [the "computation"] exists as one timeless structure.  Too
>>> abstract for PO...)
>>
>> In other words when we make sure to conflate the program under test
>> with the test program as a single computation then the whole idea of
>> a halt decider becomes less coherent and
>
> I asserted that it is erroneous to conflate the decider with that which
> is being decided several months ago. No such conflation occurs in the
> HP proofs you are attempting to refute; it is your conflation which is
> erroneous.
>
> /Flibble

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ Ordinary software engineering ]

<CuxnK.8516$CBlb.3133@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9170&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9170

Subject: Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers[ Ordinary
software engineering ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<t7jg0k$1qko$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t7jhfn$kfc$1@dont-email.me>
<t7jmvi$1ukh$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<j_idnQ4uqvj8_wD_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<tvdnK.53503$X_i.15539@fx18.iad>
<CZWdnQh_NLwe9QD_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<e_dnK.35922$kaDc.28131@fx46.iad>
<oaWdna1jVqsT8wD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <6uenK.7587$x7oc.45@fx01.iad>
<zJednRViLZP46gD_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <ndfnK.2930$sW.2247@fx37.iad>
<5ISdnatEmrelgAP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 21:04:34 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 01:04 UTC

On 6/6/22 11:28 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/5/2022 11:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Ordinary software engineering proves that a correct and complete x86
>>> emulation of the input to H(P,P) never reaches its "ret" instruction.
>>
>> Nope. Not if H(P,P) returns 0, as simple facts show that if H(P,P)
>> returns 0 that P(P) will halt.
>>
>> Good engineering NEVER contradicts actual facts.
>>

>>> _P()
>>> [00001352](01)  55              push ebp
>>> [00001353](02)  8bec            mov ebp,esp
>>> [00001355](03)  8b4508          mov eax,[ebp+08]
>>> [00001358](01)  50              push eax      // push P
>>> [00001359](03)  8b4d08          mov ecx,[ebp+08]
>>> [0000135c](01)  51              push ecx      // push P
>>> [0000135d](05)  e840feffff      call 000011a2 // call H
>>> [00001362](03)  83c408          add esp,+08
>>> [00001365](02)  85c0            test eax,eax
>>> [00001367](02)  7402            jz 0000136b
>>> [00001369](02)  ebfe            jmp 00001369
>>> [0000136b](01)  5d              pop ebp
>>> [0000136c](01)  c3              ret
>>> Size in bytes:(0027) [0000136c]
>>>
>>> It is completely obvious that when H(P,P) correctly emulates its
>>> input that it must emulate the first seven instructions of P. Because
>>> the seventh instruction of P repeats this process we can know with
>>> complete certainty that the emulated P never reaches its final “ret”
>>> instruction, thus never halts.
>>>

>> Maybe to you, but it is wrong (which might be why it is obvious to you).
>>

> Software engineers competent in C and the x86 language will verify that
> when H(P,P) correctly emulates its input with an x86 emulator that this
> emulation would never stop running. This provides the basis for H(P,P)
> to correctly reject its input as non-halting.

Yes, when H is actually defined to correctly emulate its input, which
means, BY DEFINITON, that it doesn't stop its emulation until it reaches
a final state, then it can be shown that this emulation never stops running.

This can NOT be used to show that any other H is correct to say that the
P built on that other H is non-halting, as it is a different program P,
as the program P includes the H that it is built on.

That you keep missing this fact speaks of your mental ability (or lack
thereof)

> > For any program H that might determine if programs  halt, a
> > "pathological" program P, called with some  input, can pass its own
> > source and its input to H and  then specifically do the opposite of
> > what H predicts P  will do. No H can exist that handles this case.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>
> H determines the halt status of its input by watching the behavior of
> this input when it is correctly simulated by H using an x86 emulator.
> When H correctly matches an infinite behavior pattern it aborts the
> emulation of this input and returns 0.

Except that is can't see a full correctly simulation of its input, and
the partial simulation that it sees never shows an actual correctly
defined infinite behavior pattern, as can be proved by the fact that if
you include that in H, then P(P) for the P built on the H that includes
that pattern and returns 0 for H(P,P) will Halt, when the h that it
calls returns that answer.

You can't use the partial simulation that H used, as partial simulation
do not, by themselves, prove non-halting, and for a pattern to be
correctly determined to be non-halting, ALL programs that show that
pattern must be non-halting, but as described above ANY pattern that H
sees in its simulation of its input to H(P,P), if added to its list of
patterns to call non-halting, will produce a Halting P(P), and thus is
proved not to be correct.

>     #include <stdint.h>
>     #define u32 uint32_t
>
>     void P(u32 x)
>     {
>       if (H(x, x))
>         HERE: goto HERE;
>       return;
>     }
>
>     int main()
>     {
>       Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)P, (u32)P));
>     }
>
>     _P()
>     [00001352](01)  55              push ebp
>     [00001353](02)  8bec            mov ebp,esp
>     [00001355](03)  8b4508          mov eax,[ebp+08]
>     [00001358](01)  50              push eax      // push P
>     [00001359](03)  8b4d08          mov ecx,[ebp+08]
>     [0000135c](01)  51              push ecx      // push P
>     [0000135d](05)  e840feffff      call 000011a2 // call H
>     [00001362](03)  83c408          add esp,+08
>     [00001365](02)  85c0            test eax,eax
>     [00001367](02)  7402            jz 0000136b
>     [00001369](02)  ebfe            jmp 00001369
>     [0000136b](01)  5d              pop ebp
>     [0000136c](01)  c3              ret
>     Size in bytes:(0027) [0000136c]
>
> It is completely obvious that when H(P,P) correctly emulates its input
> that it must emulate the first seven instructions of P. Because the
> seventh instruction repeats this process we can know with complete
> certainty that the emulated P never reaches its final “ret” instruction,
> thus never halts.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ members of c/c++ ]

<YsWdnf84JLgBaAL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9184&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9184

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 20:04:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ members
of c/c++ ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<rhcnK.65120$ntj.43005@fx15.iad>
<H5qdnS0tq-s9yQD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220606174525.0000745f@reddwarf.jmc>
<ptmdnVhrKoWLrwP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<20220606185031.0000254f@reddwarf.jmc>
<H9CdnTisK_K52AP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220606194152.00004098@reddwarf.jmc>
<X8ednfXaH-ms0gP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220607200210.000000e6@reddwarf.jmc>
<4Pydnegn-LfGPwL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220607204944.000027de@reddwarf.jmc>
<8PGdndoQ96MXMwL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220607210605.00004d5c@reddwarf.jmc>
<HqCdnWPysfY6LAL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220607211856.000075de@reddwarf.jmc>
<3aednaMn2fXbKwL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220607215105.0000548c@reddwarf.jmc> <t7op3r$1ke2$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 01:04 UTC

On 6/7/2022 7:05 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 07/06/2022 21:51, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:34:13 -0500
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>>
> <..snip..>
>>>
>>> How many times do I have to say this before you notice that I said it
>>> at least once? H (in the current process) always creates a new
>>> process context to emulate its its input with an x86 emulator.
>>
>> I will have to take your word for it as you refuse to publish source
>> code. Why not just stick your project on GitHub? Open source is de
>> rigueur these days. What are you trying to hide?
>>
>> If a new process context is made then how is nested simulation
>> detected?
>
> The code in x86utm.exe (his emulator) that emulates individual
> instructions also updates a global trace table, making it accessible to
> the emulated code.  So every instruction and any (nested, nested(nested)
> etc.) simulated instructions ALL get merged together in this one global
> trace.
>
> I imagine the global trace table to be much like the printed traces that
> PO posts over and over.  If YOU can recognise some pattern in those
> printed traces, then logically H can spot that same pattern in the
> global trace, as the info in both cases is more or less the same.

When a UTM simulates TM description
that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description
that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description
that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description
that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description

All of this whole process is data belongs to the first UTM, thus global
data is not needed and the whole process is a computable function of the
original inputs to the outermost UTM.

> [Above is my best guess, based on previous PO answers before you were
> interested.]
>
>> I assume the data segment of each process is private...
>
> PO said "new process context.." and that would imply each has its own
> address space, and that is obviously how simulation is SUPPOSED to work
> (like a TM would perform) - so your assumption is totally reasonable!

My unlimited nested simulations could not function properly if I did not
know all of the details of how to do this.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ members of c/c++ ]

<V2UnK.13147$NAs.4573@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9186&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9186

Subject: Re: Refuting the HP proofs (adapted for software engineers)[ members of c/c++ ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
References: <LsGdnUOwGbn0FQf_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t7j8vh$2i1$1@dont-email.me> <t7jg0k$1qko$1@gioia.aioe.org> <SfSdnQ0vIqRj1AD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <rhcnK.65120$ntj.43005@fx15.iad> <H5qdnS0tq-s9yQD_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220606174525.0000745f@reddwarf.jmc> <ptmdnVhrKoWLrwP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com> <20220606185031.0000254f@reddwarf.jmc> <H9CdnTisK_K52AP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220606194152.00004098@reddwarf.jmc> <X8ednfXaH-ms0gP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220607200210.000000e6@reddwarf.jmc> <4Pydnegn-LfGPwL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220607204944.000027de@reddwarf.jmc> <8PGdndoQ96MXMwL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220607210605.00004d5c@reddwarf.jmc> <HqCdnWPysfY6LAL_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220607211856.000075de@reddwarf.jmc> <3aednaMn2fXbKwL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <20220607215105.0000548c@reddwarf.jmc> <t7op3r$1ke2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <YsWdnf84JLgBaAL_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:45:08 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 02:45 UTC

On 6/7/22 9:04 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/7/2022 7:05 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
>> On 07/06/2022 21:51, Mr Flibble wrote:
>>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:34:13 -0500
>>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>>>
>> <..snip..>

>>> I will have to take your word for it as you refuse to publish source
>>> code. Why not just stick your project on GitHub? Open source is de
>>> rigueur these days. What are you trying to hide?
>>>
>>> If a new process context is made then how is nested simulation
>>> detected?
>>
>> The code in x86utm.exe (his emulator) that emulates individual
>> instructions also updates a global trace table, making it accessible
>> to the emulated code.  So every instruction and any (nested,
>> nested(nested) etc.) simulated instructions ALL get merged together in
>> this one global trace.
>>
>> I imagine the global trace table to be much like the printed traces
>> that PO posts over and over.  If YOU can recognise some pattern in
>> those printed traces, then logically H can spot that same pattern in
>> the global trace, as the info in both cases is more or less the same.
>>

> When a UTM simulates TM description
> that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description

Nope, it invoke a copy of H that simulates its input and then abort is.

> that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description
> that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description
> that invokes a UTM that simulates a TM description

This appears to be a flaw in your whole system design, you P changes to
call as H whatever you try to use to simulate it.

P needs to call the H that this P is designed to refute, and no others.

Remember, You need to pick *A* H that you are going to claim is a
correct decider, then you make *A* P based on that one, and run the
descion and test on THOSE SPECIIFIC machines.

> All of this whole process is data belongs to the first UTM, thus global
> data is not needed and the whole process is a computable function of the
> original inputs to the outermost UTM.

????

The input to the UTM is a description of a P that calls the H that you
claim is correct in aborting its simulation of the P built on it.

That UTM will simulate that input and generate the exact same results as
running that P.

That emulation will show the first 7 instructions of P, then the call to
H, and then H doing its emulations and eventually aborting its emulaton
and returning the 0 to P and P halting.

If the H doesn't do this, then your H never answered H(P,P) as 0, and
your whole premise is false, and shown to be a LIE.

>> [Above is my best guess, based on previous PO answers before you were
>> interested.]
>>
>>> I assume the data segment of each process is private...
>>
>> PO said "new process context.." and that would imply each has its own
>> address space, and that is obviously how simulation is SUPPOSED to
>> work (like a TM would perform) - so your assumption is totally
>> reasonable!
>
> My unlimited nested simulations could not function properly if I did not
> know all of the details of how to do this.

Then why do you think the UTM sees another UTM when it should see an H.

Remember, your LIE that the test was to REPLACE H with a UTM has been
discredited, or are you still claiming that is what needs to be done,
even though it doesn't match the test you define?

Or, do you not understand that the representation of P includes
EVERYTHING needed to run it, and thus does include the copy of H that it
calls, so it doesn't change when we give that input to the UTM?