Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:07:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Olcott's non-decider
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 03:07 UTC

On 6/7/2022 9:41 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 08/06/2022 01:42, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  From discussion with Olcott in comp.lang.c++ I have determined that
>> his so called refutation of the HP proofs is based around the
>> behaviour of his simulation-based decider, H:
>>
>> void Q(u32 x)
>> {
>>           if (H(x, x))
>>             FUBAR();
>>           return;
>> }
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>>           Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Q, (u32)Q));
>> }
>>
>> He asserts H(Q,Q)=0 based on a nested simulation being detected (i.e. Q
>> invoking H) irregardless of whether FUBAR halts or not.
>>
>> If FUBAR halts H gives the wrong answer.
>
> Since his H returns 0 (given), the H(x,x) in Q is always false, so FUBAR
> is never executed. Instead, Q always just returns.  So H gives the wrong
> answer regardless of FUBAR.
>
> Yes it's that simple.
>

>> He claims H(Q,Q)=0 as it gets stuck in a recursive (nested) simulation
>> however that wouldn't be the case for non-simulating decider for which
>> there would be no such recursion.
>
> Well, PO is only trying to make a case for ONE scenario: HIS H (he
> claims) giving the correct answer for its associated H_Hat (now called
> Q), contrary to what the Linz proof requires.  The proof covers /any/
> halting detector design, including a "simulating halt detector", so his
> problem isn't the choice to use simulation.
>
> But given the simple observation that his H gives the WRONG answer, the

THAT IS A RIDICULOUSLY STUPID THING TO SAY BECAUSE:
1) Deciders(computer science) compute the mapping from their inputs to
an accept or reject state.

(2) The actual behavior of the actual input to H(P,P) is proven to never
halt.

(3) P(P) is not an input to H, thus out-of-scope for H.
int sum( x, int y)
{ return x + y;
}

Expecting H(P,P) to compute the halt status of P(P) is as ridiculously
stupid as expecting sum(3,4) to return the sum of 7 + 9.

The correct simulation of the input to H(P,P) that has pathological
self-reference (Olcott 2004) actually factually has different halting
behavior than the execution of P(P) that does not have pathological
self-reference (Olcott 2004).

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer