From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Somerville releases Nov 14th!
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:54:02 -0600
 by: rms - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 18:54 UTC

This is a sci-fi adventure game in the style of Limbo or Inside that is
getting some hype, so if you liked those -- and I found them quite good if
not top tier -- keep an eye on this one. As a bonus it is releasing on XBox
PC Gamepass as well, so no need for a separate purchase if you're
subscribed. I would think this would run very well on a Steamdeck!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671410/Somerville/

rms

Re: Somerville releases Nov 14th!

<35nllh9hr45s9pktn9t3rkn2ku697mjcjt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9203&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9203

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Somerville releases Nov 14th!
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 15:37:05 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 19:37 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:54:02 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>This is a sci-fi adventure game in the style of Limbo or Inside that is
>getting some hype, so if you liked those -- and I found them quite good if
>not top tier -- keep an eye on this one. As a bonus it is releasing on XBox
>PC Gamepass as well, so no need for a separate purchase if you're
>subscribed. I would think this would run very well on a Steamdeck!
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671410/Somerville/

Never heard of it. ;-)

"Limbo" was okay, although I much preferred "Inside". Both were very
casual games, though, lacking in any significant difficulty ("Inside"
more so than "Limbo" in this regard), and neither had much
replayability. The gameplay looks a bit more varied in "Somerville",
or at least the viewpoints do, based on the trailers. I'm not sure
they really sell the game as anything that stands out from the crowd
though. Certainly I don't share your excitement on this one.

And the imminent release date matters not in the least. Between the
<censored> number of unplayed games I already have, and my hesitance
towards adding /new/ new games to the collection (as opposed to titles
that have been on the market for a few years, thus having both proven
themselves as worth getting /and/ dropped in price), "Somerville"
isn't something I expect to play for at least 12 months.

But remind me in 2024 and maybe I'll share your fascination then. ;-)

Re: Somerville releases Nov 14th!

<tjgb9g$327dg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9205&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9205

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:35:28 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 10:35 UTC

On 27/10/2022 19:54, rms wrote:
> This is a sci-fi adventure game in the style of Limbo or Inside that is
> getting some hype, so if you liked those -- and I found them quite good
> if not top tier -- keep an eye on this one.  As a bonus it is releasing
> on XBox PC Gamepass as well, so no need for a separate purchase if
> you're subscribed.  I would think this would run very well on a Steamdeck!
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671410/Somerville/

Like Spalls I've played both Limbo and Inside and enjoyed Inside more. I
can't say that I thought either of them were great games though. A game
that is in a similar mould that I enjoyed more was Far: Lone Sails. The
biggest criticism I have of it is that even though it's cheap it's also
fairly short at only four hours or so.