From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: 1, 2, 3, YOU'RE GONE (Third time's a charm doctrine :))
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 05:40:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 09:40 UTC

On 10/5/2022 8:14 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> If Putin does decide to go nuclear I would like to ask him to assure that the survival rate of humanity is 0% procent.
>
> This is the only threat from Putin that can prevent total nuclear war.
>
> Putin must promise the entire world that the survival rate will be 0%.
>
> Putin must nuke Brazil, Argetina, Australia and all other possible escapes as well.
>
> This is the plan of the NAZIs they hope to survive by hiding in other countries.
>
> Putin must assure that this does not happen and their survival rate is 0%.
>
> I shall call this the: "Third time's a charm" doctrine.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck =D

A nuclear weapon has a "prompt" effect. It incinerates or crushes
things within a certain radial distance of ground zero.

But even if you had five or seven thousand of them, not every square
foot of the earth is hit by a prompt effect.

The part of the idea which might more uniformly affect the globe,
is "nuclear winter". That's where the occlusion of sunlight,
causes crop failure and mass starvation. In the long run
(doesn't happen right away), that might be more effective than
the radiation floating in the air. You can see here, it's
a lively topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

I don't think our ability to simulate these things is very good.

In particular, given the drying effects caused by climate
change, a 45% further reduction in precipitation, means
a lot of crops will need irrigation. And farmers here at least,
don't think of irrigation as *ever* being practical. Not
even if there was an emergency situation. Whereas in California,
they've pulled out all the stops on such things (they've pumped
so much water out the ground, the ground has subsided).
California crops would be destroyed by additional drying effects.
There is no water left in the ground, to pump.

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/land-subsidence-in-california

We could end up eating kelp. Or plankton. (At least here,
our fisheries are depleted, so eating fish is not the
answer for us. The cod never recovered, other fishes are
in bad shape.)

All you can depend on then, is all those canned beans in
your bunker.

Paul