6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

SubjectAuthor
* Oh! Oh! Oh!Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Mark P. Nelson
|`- Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!JAB
+* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!JAB
|`* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!PW
| +* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Dimensional Traveler
| |`* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Spalls Hurgenson
| | `* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Dimensional Traveler
| |  `- Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!JAB
| `- Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!JAB
`* Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Spalls Hurgenson
 `- Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!Dimensional Traveler

1
Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tj9qmn$28cis$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9176&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9176

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Oh! Oh! Oh!
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:15:37 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 23:15 UTC

Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
3' was released today. I didn't even know it was being worked on! I'm
not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
I'm not thinking clearly. But it will be mine! Yes precious, you will
be mine. Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
been stomped on. But it will be mine, Precious!

dirty old man.

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<XnsAF3BE7A5BB514mpndisorg@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9180&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9180

From: markpnel...@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 05:46:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 05:46 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in news:tj9qmn$28cis$1@dont-
email.me:

> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
> 3' was released today. I didn't even know it was being worked on! I'm
> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
> I'm not thinking clearly. But it will be mine! Yes precious, you will
> be mine. Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
> been stomped on. But it will be mine, Precious!

Travel to distant lands, enslave the populace and despoil them of their
archaeological treasures and mineral wealth. all the while gifting them with
your enlightened religious ideals--WOOHOO!

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjapt2$2e4do$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9181&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9181

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:08:01 +0100
 by: JAB - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 08:08 UTC

On 26/10/2022 00:15, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
> 3' was released today.  I didn't even know it was being worked on!  I'm
> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
> I'm not thinking clearly.  But it will be mine!  Yes precious, you will
> be mine.  Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
> been stomped on.  But it will be mine, Precious!

I have got the first one but for me it suffers from the problem that a
lot of grand strategy games have. These are games that require a serious
investment of time not just to play them but to learn how to play them.
That just doesn't sit well with my current gaming habits of play a game
for maybe ten plus hours then put it down to come back to it later.

This reality translates to I come back to the game and realise the I
have to redo all the tutorials just to remember how to play the game.
One that I found kinda got around that problem was Crusaders Kings II.
Yes you can play it as a grand strategy game but you can also treat it
more like an RPG where your role is your dynasty and the story that unfolds.

Hope you enjoy it anyway!

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjapur$2e4do$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9182&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9182

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:08:58 +0100

On 26/10/2022 06:46, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in news:tj9qmn$28cis$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
>> 3' was released today. I didn't even know it was being worked on! I'm
>> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
>> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
>> I'm not thinking clearly. But it will be mine! Yes precious, you will
>> be mine. Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
>> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
>> been stomped on. But it will be mine, Precious!
>>

> Travel to distant lands, enslave the populace and despoil them of their
> archaeological treasures and mineral wealth. all the while gifting them with
> your enlightened religious ideals--WOOHOO!

You forgot the railways!

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<44milh18796s87lnkkl54bn4ov9f2jtgmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9184&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9184

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 12:02:39 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:02 UTC

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:15:37 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
>3' was released today. I didn't even know it was being worked on! I'm
>not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
>haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
>I'm not thinking clearly. But it will be mine! Yes precious, you will
>be mine. Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
>of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
>been stomped on. But it will be mine, Precious!

Don't do it. Don't buy another Paradox Games product. You have so much
to live for. There's no need to throw all your time down that rabbit
hole. Because you will. PG titles are deeper time-sinks than any
you'll find outside the galactic core, and once you start playing
you'll never escape.

Think of your family. Think how much they love and care for you (and
you for them). Think of all the beautiful sunsets you'll miss. Think
of the yummy food. Once you load up that game, that's all gone. You'll
be stuck eatin' ramen noodles and poop-socking it until the end of
your days. Is it really worth it?

Well... maybe just one campaign. 'Cause you can stop if you really
want, right?

;-P

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjbsnf$2h12t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9187&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9187

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:02:25 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 18:02 UTC

On 10/26/2022 9:02 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:15:37 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
>> 3' was released today. I didn't even know it was being worked on! I'm
>> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
>> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
>> I'm not thinking clearly. But it will be mine! Yes precious, you will
>> be mine. Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
>> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
>> been stomped on. But it will be mine, Precious!
>

> Don't do it. Don't buy another Paradox Games product. You have so much
> to live for. There's no need to throw all your time down that rabbit
> hole. Because you will. PG titles are deeper time-sinks than any
> you'll find outside the galactic core, and once you start playing
> you'll never escape.
>
> Think of your family. Think how much they love and care for you (and
> you for them). Think of all the beautiful sunsets you'll miss. Think
> of the yummy food. Once you load up that game, that's all gone. You'll
> be stuck eatin' ramen noodles and poop-socking it until the end of
> your days. Is it really worth it?
>
> Well... maybe just one campaign. 'Cause you can stop if you really
> want, right?
>
> ;-P

Wimp!

Spalls, I once spent 8 years playing a full campaign of 'War in the
Pacific: Admiral's Edition'. If could play AND ENJOY a game that took
me longer to play than the real war in much greater detail than anything
Paradox has done do you really think anything they _could_ do could
scare me? And I played a lot of 'Victoria II'.

:P

dirty old man.

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<255ulht9hg1lknvsg2chkt238d51ot60e6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9213&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9213

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:22:20 -0600
 by: PW - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 00:22 UTC

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:08:01 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 26/10/2022 00:15, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
>> 3' was released today.  I didn't even know it was being worked on!  I'm
>> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
>> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
>> I'm not thinking clearly.  But it will be mine!  Yes precious, you will
>> be mine.  Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
>> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
>> been stomped on.  But it will be mine, Precious!
>>

>I have got the first one but for me it suffers from the problem that a
>lot of grand strategy games have. These are games that require a serious
>investment of time not just to play them but to learn how to play them.
>That just doesn't sit well with my current gaming habits of play a game
>for maybe ten plus hours then put it down to come back to it later.
>
>This reality translates to I come back to the game and realise the I
>have to redo all the tutorials just to remember how to play the game.
>One that I found kinda got around that problem was Crusaders Kings II.
>Yes you can play it as a grand strategy game but you can also treat it
>more like an RPG where your role is your dynasty and the story that unfolds.
>
>Hope you enjoy it anyway!

*--

I agree with JAB!!

I only have Crusaders King 3 and I spent many hours going through the
lengthy tutorials never to finish them and actually play the game.

Maybe I should boot it up and play it like JAB says!!

-pw

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjn9ft$an1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9216&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9216

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:47:44 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 01:47 UTC

On 10/30/2022 5:22 PM, PW wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:08:01 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> On 26/10/2022 00:15, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>>> Speaking of games we are anticipating, I just found out that 'Victoria
>>> 3' was released today.  I didn't even know it was being worked on!  I'm
>>> not buying it immediately because I just had a root canal yesterday,
>>> haven't had anything close to a decent nights sleep in 5 days and know
>>> I'm not thinking clearly.  But it will be mine!  Yes precious, you will
>>> be mine.  Just as soon as I can be sure I can afford you and after some
>>> of the worse of the ever present Paradox Games game destroying bugs have
>>> been stomped on.  But it will be mine, Precious!
>>>

>> I have got the first one but for me it suffers from the problem that a
>> lot of grand strategy games have. These are games that require a serious
>> investment of time not just to play them but to learn how to play them.
>> That just doesn't sit well with my current gaming habits of play a game
>> for maybe ten plus hours then put it down to come back to it later.
>>
>> This reality translates to I come back to the game and realise the I
>> have to redo all the tutorials just to remember how to play the game.
>> One that I found kinda got around that problem was Crusaders Kings II.
>> Yes you can play it as a grand strategy game but you can also treat it
>> more like an RPG where your role is your dynasty and the story that unfolds.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy it anyway!
>
> *--
>
> I agree with JAB!!
>
> I only have Crusaders King 3 and I spent many hours going through the
> lengthy tutorials never to finish them and actually play the game.
>
> Maybe I should boot it up and play it like JAB says!!

Well, the Steam forums for Vic3 are ... highly unkind. It seems like
Paradox reached a new low in screwed up game mechanics. It may be years
before it is playable, if ever. Sad. :(

dirty old man.

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjo0qt$f55n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9218&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9218

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 08:26:05 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 08:26 UTC

On 31/10/2022 00:22, PW wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:08:01 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>> This reality translates to I come back to the game and realise the I
>> have to redo all the tutorials just to remember how to play the game.
>> One that I found kinda got around that problem was Crusaders Kings II.
>> Yes you can play it as a grand strategy game but you can also treat it
>> more like an RPG where your role is your dynasty and the story that unfolds.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy it anyway!
>
> *--
>
> I agree with JAB!!
>
> I only have Crusaders King 3 and I spent many hours going through the
> lengthy tutorials never to finish them and actually play the game.
>
> Maybe I should boot it up and play it like JAB says!!

It's certainly worth a try (assuming CK:3 supports the same type of
play) as it means you can skimp a lot on the this is how you 'beat' the
game.

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<gfqvlh93sngohm31mc2qh6pf1elinumc7u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9221&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9221

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:37:02 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 15:37 UTC

On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:47:44 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Well, the Steam forums for Vic3 are ... highly unkind. It seems like
>Paradox reached a new low in screwed up game mechanics. It may be years
>before it is playable, if ever. Sad. :(

But it's not really surprising, is it? Paradox games have a reputation
for being really fun, really deep experiences... eventually. Usually
months or years down the line and after a lot of extra, expensive DLC.
Until then, they feel incomplete, often crashy, and lacking in
features.

TL;DR: play the game, but wait until the "Complete" edition ;-)

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjpdvf$ir11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9227&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9227

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 14:16:33 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 21:16 UTC

On 10/31/2022 8:37 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:47:44 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, the Steam forums for Vic3 are ... highly unkind. It seems like
>> Paradox reached a new low in screwed up game mechanics. It may be years
>> before it is playable, if ever. Sad. :(
>

> But it's not really surprising, is it? Paradox games have a reputation
> for being really fun, really deep experiences... eventually. Usually
> months or years down the line and after a lot of extra, expensive DLC.
> Until then, they feel incomplete, often crashy, and lacking in
> features.
>
> TL;DR: play the game, but wait until the "Complete" edition ;-)

I know that is their reputation but even the people who like Paradox
games are saying this one is _really_ bad. And from some of the problem
reports I've read I can understand why.

dirty old man.

Re: Oh! Oh! Oh!

<tjr0m3$p69i$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9231&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9231

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:41:56 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:41 UTC

On 31/10/2022 21:16, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 10/31/2022 8:37 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:47:44 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the Steam forums for Vic3 are ... highly unkind.  It seems like
>>> Paradox reached a new low in screwed up game mechanics.  It may be years
>>> before it is playable, if ever.  Sad.  :(
>>

>> But it's not really surprising, is it? Paradox games have a reputation
>> for being really fun, really deep experiences... eventually. Usually
>> months or years down the line and after a lot of extra, expensive DLC.
>> Until then, they feel incomplete, often crashy, and lacking in
>> features.
>>
>> TL;DR: play the game, but wait until the "Complete" edition ;-)
>>
> I know that is their reputation but even the people who like Paradox
> games are saying this one is _really_ bad.  And from some of the problem
> reports I've read I can understand why.

I did read some of the reviews and even but Paradox's standards it seems
as though they dropped the ball somewhat.