If you are going to walk on thin ice, you may as well dance.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

SubjectAuthor
* (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJames Nicoll
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesChris Buckley
|+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJames Nicoll
||+- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesDimensional Traveler
||`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesChris Buckley
|| +- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJames Nicoll
|| +* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJoy Beeson
|| |`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesChris Buckley
|| | +* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazinespete...@gmail.com
|| | `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesDefault User
|| `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesQuadibloc
|+- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesAhasuerus
|`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesWilliam Hyde
+- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesAhasuerus
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
|`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesRobert Carnegie
| +* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazinested@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| |`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
| | +- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesGarrett Wollman
| | `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesMichael F. Stemper
| |  `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesAndrew McDowell
| |   `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
| |    +- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazinested@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| |    +* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesMichael F. Stemper
| |    |+- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
| |    |`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesRobert Carnegie
| |    | `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesWilliam Hyde
| |    |  +- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesDimensional Traveler
| |    |  `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
| |    |   `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesPaul S Person
| |    `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesPaul S Person
| |     +- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJerry Brown
| |     `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
| |      `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesPaul S Person
| `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJack Bohn
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesWilliam Hyde
|+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazinested@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesTony Nance
|+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesRobert Carnegie
||`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesChris Buckley
|+- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesJames Nicoll
|`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesRobert Woodward
`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesDefault User
 `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF MagazinesThe Horny Goat

Pages:12
(tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugjgj2$i10$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92437&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92437

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:16:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:16 UTC

Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
Anthologies may be the answer.

https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kp58vpFoof8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92438&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92438

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 16 Oct 2023 17:08:09 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:08 UTC

On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>
> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> Anthologies may be the answer.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.

Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
1958-1965).

--
Chris

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugjqq3$pue$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92439&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92439

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:10:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:10 UTC

In article <kp58vpFoof8U1@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>>
>> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>> Anthologies may be the answer.
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>
>James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
>from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
>edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
>that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
>anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.
>
>Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
>over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
>1958-1965).

I don't know. Sorry.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugk3ha$1oqoc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92443&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92443

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:39:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:39 UTC

On 10/16/2023 10:10 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <kp58vpFoof8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>> On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>>>
>>> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>>> Anthologies may be the answer.
>>>
>>> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>>
>> James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
>>from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
>> edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
>> that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
>> anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.
>>
>> Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
>> over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
>> 1958-1965).
>
> I don't know. Sorry.

You have failed this newsgroup!

:P

dirty old man.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<8373c3a7-84a9-4cc0-bead-c65740204d21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92444&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92444

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:59 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 1:08:15 PM UTC-4, Chris Buckley wrote:
> On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> >
> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > Anthologies may be the answer.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
> James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
> from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
> edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
> that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
> anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.
>
> Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
> over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
> 1958-1965).

https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/new_worlds says:

"With falling sales in the magazine, and believing the future of publishing
was in the paperback market, Carnell folded New Worlds and turned
to New Writings in SF. At the last minute, however, Carnell was able to
sell the magazine to Roberts & Vinter [in mid-1964], thanks to the
intervention of Michael Moorcock."

https://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/carnell_john adds:

"Although his [Carnell's] own preference was for conservative Hard SF
and sf adventure – he published a lot of it by writers such as John
Christopher and later Kenneth Bulmer and E C Tubb – he also gave active
encouragement to many of the writers who were later to become strongly
associated with Michael Moorcock's New Worlds, writers of the New
Wave including Brian W Aldiss, J G Ballard, John Brunner and Moorcock
himself, whose succession to the editorship of New Worlds Carnell
supported."

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kp5j86FqillU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92445&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92445

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 16 Oct 2023 20:03:19 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:03 UTC

On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <kp58vpFoof8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>>On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>>>
>>> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>>> Anthologies may be the answer.
>>>
>>> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>>
>>James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
>>from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
>>edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
>>that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
>>anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.
>>
>>Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
>>over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
>>1958-1965).
>
> I don't know. Sorry.

Oh well, thanks. I was just wondering whether it was a sign of complete
antagonism between the two, or complete cooperation! It's probably
one or the other...

On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
"Are you between 13 and 15?" question? I refuse to answer and
as a consequence have to read your column with the question in the
foreground and a very dim view of your column in the background.
Quite annoying.
--
Chris

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugk6ap$p06$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92446&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92446

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:27:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:27 UTC

In article <kp5j86FqillU1@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <kp58vpFoof8U1@mid.individual.net>,
>> Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:

>https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>>>
>>>James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
>>>from Carnell? I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
>>>edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
>>>that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
>>>anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.
>>>
>>>Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
>>>over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
>>>1958-1965).
>>
>> I don't know. Sorry.
>
>Oh well, thanks. I was just wondering whether it was a sign of complete
>antagonism between the two, or complete cooperation! It's probably
>one or the other...
>
>On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
>"Are you between 13 and 15?" question? I refuse to answer and
>as a consequence have to read your column with the question in the
>foreground and a very dim view of your column in the background.
>Quite annoying.

I don't control that and have recieved no info about or the green
palette that obscures things. They sure are annoying.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<390bfafd-4886-48ad-9912-49441c14c0a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92447&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92447

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:28 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>
> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> Anthologies may be the answer.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

Re:

> Campbell offered SF-curious readers an amazing ^H astonishing ^H
> astounding 583 pages of material drawn from the pages of
> Astounding, all for a mere four dollars (about $30 USD today; still a
> good deal).

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=4.00&year1=195202&year2=202309
says that $4.00 in February 1952, which is when the anthology was
published (https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?34091), was equivalent
to $46.81 in September 2023.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<17881717-856c-4b7c-be97-dfa265d34371n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92451&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92451

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:02 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 1:08:15 PM UTC-4, Chris Buckley wrote:
> On 2023-10-16, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> >
> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > Anthologies may be the answer.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
> James, was there a controversy about Moorcock's taking over _New Worlds_
> from Carnell?

I recall reading a comment that two major magazines had changed editors at that time
and that both were "in good hands". New Worlds was specifically mentioned. Given
what I was reading at the time, the comment probably came from Wollheim and
Carr, or someone in Analog.

When it became clear that Moorcock was going to publish more NW
material there were complaints in fanzines. But when were there not?

I have a copy of 1965's _The Best of New Worlds_
> edited by Moorcock, and it seems strange that there were both
> that and 1964's _Lambda I_ (that you reviewed) as major _New Worlds_
> anthologies after so long a lack of anthologies.

Smaller market, rocky finances.

> Or was this just a sneaky way of publishing a much bigger anthology
> over two volumes? (Moorcock included only non-american authors from
> 1958-1965).

Reminds me of the comment made that there were no woman writers in
a given anthology. True, there were not many, but two is not zero. And
Harry Harrison was American.

William Hyde

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<klqriidq6pt6unlcqurmpft4a18hjk6ho8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92459&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92459

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:01:15 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 02:01 UTC

On 16 Oct 2023 20:03:19 GMT, Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:

> On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
> "Are you between 13 and 15?" question? I refuse to answer and
> as a consequence have to read your column with the question in the
> foreground and a very dim view of your column in the background.
> Quite annoying.

I click "no style" and the pop-up becomes a couple of lines above
a clear view of large print.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kp79vaF5ce3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92463&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92463

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Oct 2023 11:37:15 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:37 UTC

On 2023-10-17, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2023 20:03:19 GMT, Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>
>> On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
>> "Are you between 13 and 15?" question? I refuse to answer and
>> as a consequence have to read your column with the question in the
>> foreground and a very dim view of your column in the background.
>> Quite annoying.
>

> I click "no style" and the pop-up becomes a couple of lines above
> a clear view of large print.

Thanks, I'll try that next time (I'm minimizing my accesses to Tor in
the undoubtedly vain hope of negatively affecting their page statistics
while they are doing their data collection.)

Chris

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<5d5fef79-9aa1-45bd-8b5e-b193cab89045n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92464&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92464

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 05:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: petert...@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 7:37:21 AM UTC-4, Chris Buckley wrote:
> On 2023-10-17, Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> > On 16 Oct 2023 20:03:19 GMT, Chris Buckley <al...@sabir.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
> >> "Are you between 13 and 15?" question? I refuse to answer and
> >> as a consequence have to read your column with the question in the
> >> foreground and a very dim view of your column in the background.
> >> Quite annoying.
> >

> > I click "no style" and the pop-up becomes a couple of lines above
> > a clear view of large print.
> Thanks, I'll try that next time (I'm minimizing my accesses to Tor in
> the undoubtedly vain hope of negatively affecting their page statistics
> while they are doing their data collection.)

When a website or sales droid asks an impertinent question without
explaining why, I lie. They don't deserve the truth, and poisoning their
data is a good thing.

pt

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kp7hj5F7gh5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92466&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92466

From: ala...@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Oct 2023 13:47:17 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:47 UTC

On 2023-10-17, pete...@gmail.com <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 7:37:21 AM UTC-4, Chris Buckley wrote:

>> > I click "no style" and the pop-up becomes a couple of lines above
>> > a clear view of large print.
>> Thanks, I'll try that next time (I'm minimizing my accesses to Tor in
>> the undoubtedly vain hope of negatively affecting their page statistics
>> while they are doing their data collection.)
>
> When a website or sales droid asks an impertinent question without
> explaining why, I lie. They don't deserve the truth, and poisoning their
> data is a good thing.

True, but lying doesn't convince them not to collect the data in the first
place. Not getting enough data will convince them.

One thing I've learned from my 40 years of information retrieval
research: Quantity of data is oh so much more important than quality
of data. You can see that from my research, you can see that from the
growing dominance of Google in the 2000's, you can see that from the
present AI models. Given enough data, you can tease out any signal
that is there, even from very noisy data.

You lying may make your individual profile less trustworthy (though
probably less than you think), but is still a net plus for the
aggregate data collections.
--
Chris

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<244bd3b4-c3d8-400a-b057-d93ea97e59f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92467&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92467

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:27:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:27 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 2:03:25 PM UTC-6, Chris Buckley wrote:

> On a separate note, have you found out what's up with the Tor
> "Are you between 13 and 15?" question?

Odd, I'm not being asked that question, despite having JavaScript
enabled and not using an ad blocker. I live in Canada, perhaps that
has something to do with it.

I know that in the U.S. web sites aren't allowed to collect information
about people under 13. I'm not aware of Federal legislation concerning
the Internet that makes those 16 and over a separate category, but then
recently several individual states (mostly with Republican governments)
have passed laws affecting the Internet, so that's what I would be likely
to suspect.

So I don't think they're looking for site visitors for whom the golden age
of science fiction is now.

John Savard

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<efc791e2-4393-4313-a83a-8c3b4e4cdcb1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92470&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92470

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:33:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:33 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>
> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> Anthologies may be the answer.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

The Galaxy Reader was "Sorted by increasing implausibility," ha! Brilliant! I don't suppose that was carried on in the later, shorter books of The Galaxy Reader series, not that I read the stories in any volume in order.

What books my library had of The Galaxy Reader and The Best from F&SF series were shelved in non-fiction, in the area for books about literature, for some reason. The Campbell series of books just titled Analog and a number were in the sf section. I want to say a big book shelved ahead of Analog 1 was _The Astounding-Analog Reader_, it was edited by Brian W. Aldiss and Harry Harrison, and I can't picture them ignoring shelving by author to go with series. Maybe some other fan kept moving it. My library did eventually get a big Galaxy anthology, it was _Galaxy: Thirty Years of Innovative Science Fiction_, 1980, I think by then it was a memorial.

I wonder about the lesser-known magazines, and any lesser-known bests they generated. Galileo advertised _The Starry Messenger_, the best from I guess their first year or so. Looking it up, I'm sorry I didn't clip out the order form to get it, it looks like the only place to read most of the stories from authors who weren't already names. Wait, is that a selling point?

--
-Jack

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<d2b5be99-2e0e-4160-a64d-d27599dffd1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92471&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92471

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:15 UTC

On Tuesday, 17 October 2023 at 17:33:56 UTC+1, Jack Bohn wrote:
> James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> >
> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > Anthologies may be the answer.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
> The Galaxy Reader was "Sorted by increasing implausibility," ha! Brilliant! I don't suppose that was carried on in the later, shorter books of The Galaxy Reader series, not that I read the stories in any volume in order.
>
> What books my library had of The Galaxy Reader and The Best from F&SF series were shelved in non-fiction, in the area for books about literature, for some reason. The Campbell series of books just titled Analog and a number were in the sf section. I want to say a big book shelved ahead of Analog 1 was _The Astounding-Analog Reader_, it was edited by Brian W. Aldiss and Harry Harrison, and I can't picture them ignoring shelving by author to go with series. Maybe some other fan kept moving it. My library did eventually get a big Galaxy anthology, it was _Galaxy: Thirty Years of Innovative Science Fiction_, 1980, I think by then it was a memorial.
>
> I wonder about the lesser-known magazines, and any lesser-known bests they generated. Galileo advertised _The Starry Messenger_, the best from I guess their first year or so. Looking it up, I'm sorry I didn't clip out the order form to get it, it looks like the only place to read most of the stories from authors who weren't already names. Wait, is that a selling point?

I suppose you know that Galileo the Italian dude published
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereus_Nuncius>
which, as noted, was translated as "Starry Messenger"
but, by this account, was intended as "news about recent
developments in astronomy" as of 1610, chiefly I think
developments achieved by himself.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kp93biFfo46U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92472&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92472

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 18 Oct 2023 03:56:34 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:56 UTC

In article <d2b5be99-2e0e-4160-a64d-d27599dffd1cn@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 17 October 2023 at 17:33:56 UTC+1, Jack Bohn wrote:
>> James Nicoll wrote:
>> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>> >
>> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>> > Anthologies may be the answer.
>> >

>https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>> The Galaxy Reader was "Sorted by increasing implausibility," ha!
>Brilliant! I don't suppose that was carried on in the later, shorter
>books of The Galaxy Reader series, not that I read the stories in any
>volume in order.
>>
>> What books my library had of The Galaxy Reader and The Best from F&SF
>series were shelved in non-fiction, in the area for books about
>literature, for some reason. The Campbell series of books just titled
>Analog and a number were in the sf section. I want to say a big book

In our library, SF anthologies were generaly under 803.3. That's where
I would go first whenever I walked in as it was a pure vein. Individual
authors were all over the place.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<7ca39d45-5638-487f-a5ed-c691d8ef9fa0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92474&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92474

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 05:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:37 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <d2b5be99-2e0e-4160...@googlegroups.com>,

> >https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

> >> What books my library had of The Galaxy Reader and The Best from F&SF
> >series were shelved in non-fiction, in the area for books about
> >literature, for some reason. The Campbell series of books just titled
> >Analog and a number were in the sf section.

> In our library, SF anthologies were generaly under 803.3. That's where
> I would go first whenever I walked in as it was a pure vein. Individual
> authors were all over the place.

Now that you mention it, there were also anthologies of Best or Award-Winning general fiction short stories of bygone years there, too, maybe even volumes of mysteries. Did you not have a dedicated sf section? I begin to realize that In some ways it was not a convenience: you thought you found an author, but a random book may be out in the general fiction. Other numbered anthologies were in sf (Nova, Continuum, Nebula Award Winners -- although those were filed by individual editor rather than series title) but a T.E. Dikty "Best of" was in general. OMG! Were those books bought before the library *had an sf section*?

--
-Jack

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<894100fd-223a-4685-b5c3-fd43996dc361n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92475&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92475

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 05:53:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:53 UTC

Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 October 2023 at 17:33:56 UTC+1, Jack Bohn wrote:
> > James Nicoll wrote:
> > > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> > >
> > > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > > Anthologies may be the answer.
> > >
> > > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

> > I wonder about the lesser-known magazines, and any lesser-known bests they generated. Galileo advertised _The Starry Messenger_, the best from I guess their first year or so. Looking it up, I'm sorry I didn't clip out the order form to get it, it looks like the only place to read most of the stories from authors who weren't already names. Wait, is that a selling point?

> I suppose you know that Galileo the Italian dude published
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereus_Nuncius>
> which, as noted, was translated as "Starry Messenger"
> but, by this account, was intended as "news about recent
> developments in astronomy" as of 1610, chiefly I think
> developments achieved by himself.

I suspect I knew at the time of the anthology, at worst the title would have prompted me to look it up then to verify suspicions.

Man! Can you imagine subscribing to the original Galileo's _The Starry Messenger_?
"Point a telescope at any dark patch of the sky; there are faint stars there you couldn't see before."
"Along the crescent edge of the Moon you can see the shadows of the mountains thrown into the valleys."
"Venus shows a crescent, too."
"Four smaller stars travel with Jupiter, dancing around him."
"Does Saturn still eat his children?"

--
-Jack

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugovfc$2dj1$1@usenet.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92477&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92477

From: woll...@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:00:44 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: wollman@bimajority.org (Garrett Wollman)
 by: Garrett Wollman - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 16:00 UTC

In article <7ca39d45-5638-487f-a5ed-c691d8ef9fa0n@googlegroups.com>,
Jack Bohn <jack.bohn64@gmail.com> wrote:
>Now that you mention it, there were also anthologies of Best or
>Award-Winning general fiction short stories of bygone years there, too,
>maybe even volumes of mysteries. Did you not have a dedicated sf
>section?

The library WIWAL certainly never did. There were three sections:
fiction, non-fiction, and "reference" (basically non-circulating
non-fiction, magazines, and newspapers).[1] The "children's" section
was divided up by age and I don't think had all that much non-fiction
in it. (There was some, the usual juvenile science books, potted
biographies of sports stars and celebrities, etc.) The adult fiction
was shelved alpha by author, but "mixed" works were shelved under
their non-fiction Dewey classification. (So Asimov's OPUS 200 and
OPUS 300 were shelved in the 800s, because they contained excerpts
from both fiction and non-fiction.) There was a good amount of older
(1950s-60s) adult SF and fantasy mixed in with the YA fiction,
apparently because some librarian in the 1960s had decided that
everything certain authors wrote was "juvenile".[2]

I haven't been in there in many a year so I don't know how it's
organized any more.

-GAWollman

[1] Technically there was a fourth section, "local history", which was
largely non-circulating.

[2] I suppose by contemporary standards you'd say a lot of this stuff
doesn't have enough sex and angst in it to qualify as YA, but
different mores prevailed in my youth.
wollman@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<2e88dec3-130a-496a-b2a0-ec014df3fcean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92479&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92479

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:58 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>
> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> Anthologies may be the answer.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines

As a teenager I thought I was pretty familiar with the field of SF. I read Niven, Delaney,
Ellison, Silverberg, Shaw, and of course older writers like Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein et al.

Then I stumbled on an old, grey hardback in our school library. It had long lost its
dust cover and who knows how it had arrived there, as the book was older than
our school, twice the age of any other book in the library.

It was "Adventures in Time and Space", and I realized that I knew nothing. Nothing!

It was also a fabulous read.

William Hyde

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<kpausmF4ch5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92482&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92482

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 18 Oct 2023 20:52:39 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:52 UTC

In article <2e88dec3-130a-496a-b2a0-ec014df3fcean@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>>
>> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>> Anthologies may be the answer.
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>
>As a teenager I thought I was pretty familiar with the field of SF. I
>read Niven, Delaney,
>Ellison, Silverberg, Shaw, and of course older writers like Clarke,
>Asimov, Heinlein et al.
>
>Then I stumbled on an old, grey hardback in our school library. It had
>long lost its
>dust cover and who knows how it had arrived there, as the book was older than
>our school, twice the age of any other book in the library.
>
>It was "Adventures in Time and Space", and I realized that I knew
>nothing. Nothing!
>
>It was also a fabulous read.
>
>William Hyde

The *Ur* tome!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<a25ca1c7-6993-4a86-a887-071bc279c20an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92483&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92483

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:52 UTC

On Wednesday, 18 October 2023 at 20:58:22 UTC+1, William Hyde wrote:
> On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> >
> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > Anthologies may be the answer.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
> As a teenager I thought I was pretty familiar with the field of SF. I read Niven, Delaney,
> Ellison, Silverberg, Shaw, and of course older writers like Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein et al.
>
> Then I stumbled on an old, grey hardback in our school library. It had long lost its
> dust cover and who knows how it had arrived there, as the book was older than
> our school, twice the age of any other book in the library.
>
> It was "Adventures in Time and Space", and I realized that I knew nothing.. Nothing!
>
> It was also a fabulous read.
>
> William Hyde

Some un-neutral things are said about it here.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_in_Time_and_Space>

Some confusion is recorded here.
<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?438841>
<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?245825>

The top, but apparently newer ISFDB record represents
the 1946 first edition with a cover stating both that
36 stories are collected, and 34 are. This is stated to be
replaced with a cover correctly announcing 35 stories,
and no other difference. Actually, from ISFDB, I count
an introduction labelled as an essay, two other essays -
"V-2: Rocket Cargo Ship" (hmm) and "Time-Travel Happens!"
apparently based on this claimed event at Versailles
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moberly–Jourdain_incident> -
and 33 texts identified as fiction.

In 1953 (ISFDB) or 1946 (Wikipedia) - I'll bet on ISFDB,
but each cites a source - an edition which cut the last
5 stories for some reason, was published. For editions
after that, ISFDB may know better than I do.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<ugpgs9$ngj$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92484&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92484

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:57:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:57 UTC

In article <2e88dec3-130a-496a-b2a0-ec014df3fcean@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07 AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
>>
>> Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
>> Anthologies may be the answer.
>>

>https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazines
>

>As a teenager I thought I was pretty familiar with the field of SF. I
>read Niven, Delaney,
>Ellison, Silverberg, Shaw, and of course older writers like Clarke,
>Asimov, Heinlein et al.
>
>Then I stumbled on an old, grey hardback in our school library. It
>had long lost its
>dust cover and who knows how it had arrived there, as the book was older than
>our school, twice the age of any other book in the library.
>
>It was "Adventures in Time and Space", and I realized that I knew
>nothing. Nothing!
>
>It was also a fabulous read.

I picked up a mid-1970s reprint of that. A massive trade paperback too
big for easy reading. A classic.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines

<robertaw-1ED185.22122518102023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=92489&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92489

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 22:12:25 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 05:12 UTC

In article <2e88dec3-130a-496a-b2a0-ec014df3fcean@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 10:16:07?AM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines
> >
> > Worried that magazines are too ephemeral to hold reader interest?
> > Anthologies may be the answer.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/10/16/five-anthologies-based-on-classic-sf-magazine
>
> As a teenager I thought I was pretty familiar with the field of SF. I read
> Niven, Delaney,
> Ellison, Silverberg, Shaw, and of course older writers like Clarke, Asimov,
> Heinlein et al.
>
> Then I stumbled on an old, grey hardback in our school library. It had long
> lost its
> dust cover and who knows how it had arrived there, as the book was older than
> our school, twice the age of any other book in the library.
>
> It was "Adventures in Time and Space", and I realized that I knew nothing.
> Nothing!
>
> It was also a fabulous read.

I have a copy of that with the dust jacket (it's in not very good shape,
but it's there), BTW, list price was $2.95.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (tor dot com) Five Anthologies Based on Classic SF Magazines