From: mar...@invalid.net (marty)
Subject: Corsair 4000D case vibrations
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:42:34 +1100
 by: marty - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 02:42 UTC

Hi,

I have a system in a corsair 4000d case that sometimes has an annoying
periodic vibration noise every two or so seconds.

Brmmmm.... Brmmmm.... etc

Not always, sometimes the pc is fine and noise free for days.

If the solid metal side panel is taken off the case the noise stops, so
debugging is difficult.

Squeezing the two sides of the case by hand together sometimes stops the
noise for hours afterwards. Adding a wad of bubble wrap inside the case
and wedging it inside the vibrating panel did not really help.

The case has six possible noise sources. Two HDDs sideways in sliding
trays, CPU fan, PSU fan. Two front fans, and a rear fan. The noise
happened before I installed the second front fan. T

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

--
Marty

Re: Corsair 4000D case vibrations

<3d80L.383440$wLZ8.199409@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=930&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#930

Subject: Re: Corsair 4000D case vibrations
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 01:50:54 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 05:50 UTC

On 10/7/2022 10:42 PM, marty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system in a corsair 4000d case that sometimes has an annoying
> periodic vibration noise every two or so seconds.
>
> Brmmmm....  Brmmmm.... etc
>
> Not always, sometimes the pc is fine and noise free for days.
>
> If the solid metal side panel is taken off the case the noise stops, so
> debugging is difficult.
>
> Squeezing the two sides of the case by hand together sometimes stops the
> noise for hours afterwards. Adding a wad of bubble wrap inside the case
> and wedging it inside the vibrating panel did not really help.

Ah, so you've identified the vibrating panel? That would drive me nuts
too. Apparently the side panel is changing the shape of the case a bit.
It might be interesting to apply forces to the case with the cover off,
to see if you can identity the source of those vibrations. I am not an
expert, but I would consider adding wedges around the vibrating panel if
I had one. Have you ever seen someone stick a penny under the
windshield of their car? If the wedges don't seem right, then maybe a
little "Duct tape" could help? Good luck! I'm pretty sure you'll be
able to find the culprit. Just be "methodical". It's the sort of
low-priority task that you can work on when you feel like it.

My current case made a "whistling" noise when it was new; I figured out
that the front case fan was blowing air through a steel grid. I cut it
all out with a hack saw and a pair of pliers. I probably voided my
warranty too, but I fixed it! ; ) Good luck!

> The case has six possible noise sources. Two HDDs sideways in sliding
> trays, CPU fan, PSU fan. Two front fans, and a rear fan. The noise
> happened before I installed the second front fan. T
>
> Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Re: Corsair 4000D case vibrations

<thrbam$5anb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=931&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#931

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 04:11:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 08:11 UTC

On 10/7/2022 10:42 PM, marty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system in a corsair 4000d case that sometimes has an annoying periodic vibration noise every two or so seconds.
>
> Brmmmm....  Brmmmm.... etc
>
> Not always, sometimes the pc is fine and noise free for days.
>
> If the solid metal side panel is taken off the case the noise stops, so debugging is difficult.
>
> Squeezing the two sides of the case by hand together sometimes stops the noise for hours afterwards. Adding a wad of bubble wrap inside the case and wedging it inside the vibrating panel did not really help.
>
> The case has six possible noise sources. Two HDDs sideways in sliding trays, CPU fan, PSU fan. Two front fans, and a rear fan. The noise happened before I installed the second front fan. T
>
> Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

My guess would be a beat note, between the vibrations
of two unbalanced hard drives.

Cases such as the aluminum ones made by Lian Li, they have
a hard time damping out vibrations. The PC cases with heavier
steel panels (not the "tin cans" you can buy at newegg for $39.95),
those should be a little harder to disturb.

Another source of vibration, would be the water pump
on a water cooled system.

Modern hard drives have very good balance, and
can be quite quiet when not seeking (moving heads).

Your computer case is a bit on the unconventional side,
and it's really hard to guess at the fit and finish using
only promo pictures. A tempered glass panel should really be
mounted in a rubber framework to help damp it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Mid-Tower/dp/B08C74694Z

Paul