The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Sleepless night

SubjectAuthor
* Sleepless nightAnonymous
+* Re: Sleepless nightStefan Claas
|`* Re: Sleepless nightAnonymous
| `* Re: Sleepless nightStefan Claas
|  `- Re: Sleepless nightNomen Nescio
`* Re: Sleepless nightNomen Nescio
 `* Re: Sleepless nightStefan Claas
  `* Re: Sleepless nightAnonymous
   +* Re: Sleepless nightStefan Claas
   |`* Re: Sleepless nightNomen Nescio
   | `- Re: Sleepless nightStefan Claas
   `- Re: Sleepless nightAnonymous

1
Sleepless night

<2c58ceaed96332fc9797b36c69590529@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9290&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9290

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software.
Please report problems or inappropriate use to the
remailer administrator at <abuse@remailer.paranoici.org>.
Subject: Sleepless night
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:21:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:21 UTC

In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!

Re: Sleepless night

<8dad3ea6-c65a-468f-8b6c-3cfa95bac0f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9291&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9291

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:41:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Sleepless night
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:41 UTC

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 7:21:54 PM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:
> In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!

Before using *cryptographic* (anonymity) tools I would suggest to check
how cryptography is handled in your country.

https://www.gp-digital.org/world-map-of-encryption/

Regards
Stefan

Re: Sleepless night

<80f7145970eac0f39280ee9f48245751@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9297&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9297

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 01:34:16 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:34 UTC

> In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!

Too bad, phone-home privacy software.

Looking through the binaries I found
- fleegle.mixmin.net
- http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/mlist2.txt
- http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/pubring.mix

But my Mixmaster binaries look clean,
no connection attempts bypassing Tor.

Re: Sleepless night

<316872cc7590444852889cb1f253dec4@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9305&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9305

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 03:21:12 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 01:21 UTC

In article <8dad3ea6-c65a-468f-8b6c-3cfa95bac0f8n@googlegroups.com>
Stefan Claas <spam.trap.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 7:21:54 PM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:
> > In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!
>
> Before using *cryptographic* (anonymity) tools I would suggest to check
> how cryptography is handled in your country.
>
> https://www.gp-digital.org/world-map-of-encryption/
>
> Regards
> Stefan

Thanks Stefan for your post, I find it interesting, and wondered
what might the practical aspects of posting say an anonymous email
from a Russian Hotel or wifi site be.

I'm assuming the ISP would be monitored and all TOR connections
watched, and you could expect your IP address to be logged ?

THanks
Fred

Re: Sleepless night

<3886da38-ab95-4ddd-8ee3-baada69b5481n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9309&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9309

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:37:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 06:37 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:34:22 AM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!
> Too bad, phone-home privacy software.
>
> Looking through the binaries I found
> - fleegle.mixmin.net
> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/mlist2.txt
> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/pubring.mix
>
> But my Mixmaster binaries look clean,
> no connection attempts bypassing Tor.

Since day one, when YAMN was announced, it was generally known, by the
community, that YAMN has internal defaults, so that it can be used without
any settings, done manually. A user of the original Mixmaster software has
to create these settings manually and then Mixmaster phones home as well,
unless the user creates an extra Tor set-up, which I also provide for my
distributed YAMN binaries.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Sleepless night

<691532ef-8b70-4b74-9322-83ecf3b86227n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9312&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9312

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 06:58 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 3:21:19 AM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:

Hi Fred,

> Thanks Stefan for your post, I find it interesting, and wondered
> what might the practical aspects of posting say an anonymous email
> from a Russian Hotel or wifi site be.

Not sure what reason one would have to send an anon email from a hotel,
when staying in another country (for holidays). If I would travel nowadays,
outside of Germany, I would only take my dumb phone with me.

> I'm assuming the ISP would be monitored and all TOR connections
> watched, and you could expect your IP address to be logged ?

I assume the same and if not in luck the Tor/VPN connections are blocked.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Sleepless night

<d7961feb8b2ce06cce83976168fac6d2@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9317&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9317

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:48:00 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:48 UTC

Stefan Claas <spam.trap.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 1:34:22 AM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> > In my country, we have internet monitoring, not allowing anonymous letter. I tried YAMN make packets and suddenly there was mlist2.txt. Does YAMN have downloaded their unsafe internet? I am in trouble now? Thank you!
>> Too bad, phone-home privacy software.
>>
>> Looking through the binaries I found
>> - fleegle.mixmin.net
>> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/mlist2.txt
>> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/pubring.mix
>>
>> But my Mixmaster binaries look clean,
>> no connection attempts bypassing Tor.
>
>Since day one, when YAMN was announced, it was generally known, by the
>community, that YAMN has internal defaults, so that it can be used without
>any settings, done manually.

Generally known? Go tell that to the marines. I found no such warning.

> A user of the original Mixmaster software has
>to create these settings manually and then Mixmaster phones home as well,
>unless the user creates an extra Tor set-up, which I also provide for my
>distributed YAMN binaries.

Mixmaster can't phone home, as it doesn't know where "home" is. If you
present it no more than a stats and a keys file you're safe.

Re: Sleepless night

<76bf23c9d0b0d7cc5075d93baa128053@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9318&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9318

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:14:19 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:14 UTC

In article <691532ef-8b70-4b74-9322-83ecf3b86227n@googlegroups.com>
Stefan Claas wrote:

> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 3:21:19 AM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> > Thanks Stefan for your post, I find it interesting, and wondered
> > what might the practical aspects of posting say an anonymous email
> > from a Russian Hotel or wifi site be.
>
> Not sure what reason one would have to send an anon email from a hotel,
> when staying in another country (for holidays). If I would travel nowadays,
> outside of Germany, I would only take my dumb phone with me.
>
> > I'm assuming the ISP would be monitored and all TOR connections
> > watched, and you could expect your IP address to be logged ?

But they can't tell whether I'm sending messages anonymously or
simply surfing the net. That makes a huge difference.

> I assume the same and if not in luck the Tor/VPN connections are blocked.

Tor connections through HTTP/S ports may help.

Re: Sleepless night

<b3488308-b77d-4a88-abe9-971f1dedf18fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9319&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9319

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 03:26:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:26 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 11:48:09 AM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:
> Stefan Claas <spam.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Too bad, phone-home privacy software.
> >>
> >> Looking through the binaries I found
> >> - fleegle.mixmin.net
> >> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/mlist2.txt
> >> - http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/pubring.mix
> >>
> >> But my Mixmaster binaries look clean,
> >> no connection attempts bypassing Tor.
> >
> >Since day one, when YAMN was announced, it was generally known, by the
> >community, that YAMN has internal defaults, so that it can be used without
> >any settings, done manually.
> Generally known? Go tell that to the marines. I found no such warning.

You telling me, us, that service men are using YAMN without an approved
field manual?

> > A user of the original Mixmaster software has
> >to create these settings manually and then Mixmaster phones home as well,
> >unless the user creates an extra Tor set-up, which I also provide for my
> >distributed YAMN binaries.
> Mixmaster can't phone home, as it doesn't know where "home" is. If you
> present it no more than a stats and a keys file you're safe.

The OP said phone home, when using the default settings, which are downloading
the stats and pub keys from Mixmin, hence I used the same wording, because
I do not see a difference with Mixmaster, once configured.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Sleepless night

<1eac952188ac0bf67df79eeb2a0ff882@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9323&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9323

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
remailer administrator at <abuse@dizum.com>.
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:46:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:46 UTC

Stefan Claas <spam.trap.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 11:48:09 AM UTC+2, Anonymous wrote:
> > Stefan Claas <spam.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The OP said phone home, when using the default settings, which are downloading
> the stats and pub keys from Mixmin, hence I used the same wording, because
> I do not see a difference with Mixmaster, once configured.

The OP didn't say "phone home". He only reported, that after
naively starting the yamn program he downloaded, he surprisingly
found unsolicitedly downloaded statistics files on his disk, which
may have put him at risk. And that's what won't happen by running a
bare mixmaster executable, and with yamn should be deactivated asap
to prevent users from being exposed.

Re: Sleepless night

<c323c88e-641b-4d93-8b32-ce5cf83c591en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9328&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9328

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 08:02:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:02 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 3:46:52 PM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Stefan Claas <spam.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The OP said phone home, when using the default settings, which are downloading
> > the stats and pub keys from Mixmin, hence I used the same wording, because
> > I do not see a difference with Mixmaster, once configured.
> The OP didn't say "phone home". He only reported, that after
> naively starting the yamn program he downloaded, he surprisingly
> found unsolicitedly downloaded statistics files on his disk, which
> may have put him at risk. And that's what won't happen by running a
> bare mixmaster executable, and with yamn should be deactivated asap
> to prevent users from being exposed.

Understood. In yamn.cfg they can set under the [URLs] section 'Fetch = false'
and then try to use YAMN's new parameter -refresh. If this does not work as
expected then please contact Zax directly. When Fetch = false is enabled
the YAMN client should no longer download stats and keys automatically.

With Fetch = false set (for Tor and socat usage) users can then manually
download the stats and keys with cURL or wget, which I did so in the past.

I distribute compiled software only in it's original state along with it's
source code, to not become an inofficial maintainer of a software.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Sleepless night

<d903149f7936ca28067f9ea1cd8f122a@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9330&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9330

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:02:14 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:02 UTC

>>Since day one, when YAMN was announced, it was generally known, by the
>>community, that YAMN has internal defaults, so that it can be used without
>>any settings, done manually.
>
>Generally known? Go tell that to the marines. I found no such warning.

Not quite a warning, but in https://mixmin.net/yamn.html I found

: Urls section:
: Yamn has the capability to pull stats and key sources from URLs published by pingers. The following settings determine which source URLS should be used if periodic downloading is required.
:
:
: Fetch
:
:
: Should Yamn attempt to retrieve stats/keys at periodic intervals? Default: yes
:
: Pubring
:
: URL of a Public Keyring source. See also Files/Pubring for the default save location of the downloaded file. Default: http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/pubring.mix.
:
:
: Mlist2
:
:
: URL of an Mlist2 style stats source. See also Files/Mlist2 for the default save location of the download files. Default: http://www.mixmin.net/yamn/mlist2.txt.

That's opt-out where there has to be opt-in, for people living in
restrictive jurisdictions a time bomb waiting for missing data.