Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

SubjectAuthor
* (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding AbsolJames Nicoll
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofAndrew McDowell
|+* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofJames Nicoll
||+* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofAndrew McDowell
|||`* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofJames Nicoll
||| +- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofJames Nicoll
||| `- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofAhasuerus
||`- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofLynn McGuire
|`- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofJohnny1A
`* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofLynn McGuire
 `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems ofted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `* Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding ADon
   `- Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Ated@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
(tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uig865$cdt$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93206&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93206

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 15:06:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 15:06 UTC

Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
efficiency .... but not according to these authors.

https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<521e9a20-8376-4e8f-b7f6-c2dccc8a5f47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93208&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93208

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:15:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of
Wielding Absolute Power
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:15 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>
> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
The best refutation of the ideal of the omnipotent Emperor that I can think of is the heirarchy above and below the council of Boskone in E E Smith's Lensman universe. We are repeatedly shown that this is vulnerable to the "only good news" phenomenon, where overlings do not hear of the failures of their underlings, because their underlings dare not tell them (https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-6ef2407371c67f0736459378833fab7a). On the other hand, the forces of civilisation are full of people who know the reasons behind their orders and will comply with them enthusiastically in both the letter and the spirit. The other autocrats I can think of are more like Shakespearean Kings, always at risk of a powerful noble challenging them - Ezar and Gregor Vorbarra, the Padishah Emperor, and Elizabeth III Winton (not really under threat of insurrection, but only a constitutional monarch, perhaps with as much power as Queen Victoria) come to mind sufficiently to be found by a web search. Baen was pushing the "Sun Eater" series by Christopher Ruocchio - I think in this we see a noble becoming Emperor. I am not sure by what means, as I wasn't sufficiently impressed by the first book to read further.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uigg1g$1vm$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93209&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93209

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:20:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 17:20 UTC

In article <521e9a20-8376-4e8f-b7f6-c2dccc8a5f47n@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>>
>> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
>> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>>

>https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
>> --
>> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
>> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
>> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
>> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
>The best refutation of the ideal of the omnipotent Emperor that I can
>think of is the heirarchy above and below the council of Boskone in E E
>Smith's Lensman universe. We are repeatedly shown that this is
>vulnerable to the "only good news" phenomenon, where overlings do not
>hear of the failures of their underlings, because their underlings dare
>not tell them
>(https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-6ef2407371c67f0736459378833fab7a). On the other hand, the forces of civilisation are full of people
>who know the reasons behind their orders and will comply with them
>enthusiastically in both the letter and the spirit. The other autocrats
>I can think of are more like Shakespearean Kings, always at risk of a
>powerful noble challenging them - Ezar and Gregor Vorbarra, the
>Padishah Emperor, and Elizabeth III Winton (not really under threat of
>insurrection, but only a constitutional monarch, perhaps with as much
>power as Queen Victoria) come to mind sufficiently to be found by a web
>search. Baen was pushing the "Sun Eater" series by Christopher Ruocchio
>- I think in this we see a noble becoming Emperor. I am not sure by
>what means, as I wasn't sufficiently impressed by the first book to
>read further.

Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<9110b8d2-910e-4ef9-88f5-7aadff2eb1b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93211&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93211

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:05:23 -0800 (PST)
Wielding Absolute Power
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 18:05 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 5:20:53 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <521e9a20-8376-4e8f...@googlegroups.com>,
> Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
> >>
> >> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
> >> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
> >>

> >https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
> >> --
> >> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> >> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> >> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> >> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
> >The best refutation of the ideal of the omnipotent Emperor that I can
> >think of is the heirarchy above and below the council of Boskone in E E
> >Smith's Lensman universe. We are repeatedly shown that this is
> >vulnerable to the "only good news" phenomenon, where overlings do not
> >hear of the failures of their underlings, because their underlings dare
> >not tell them
> >(https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-6ef2407371c67f0736459378833fab7a). On the other hand, the forces of civilisation are full of people
> >who know the reasons behind their orders and will comply with them
> >enthusiastically in both the letter and the spirit. The other autocrats
> >I can think of are more like Shakespearean Kings, always at risk of a
> >powerful noble challenging them - Ezar and Gregor Vorbarra, the
> >Padishah Emperor, and Elizabeth III Winton (not really under threat of
> >insurrection, but only a constitutional monarch, perhaps with as much
> >power as Queen Victoria) come to mind sufficiently to be found by a web
> >search. Baen was pushing the "Sun Eater" series by Christopher Ruocchio
> >- I think in this we see a noble becoming Emperor. I am not sure by
> >what means, as I wasn't sufficiently impressed by the first book to
> >read further.
> Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
https://www.baen.com/pr-suneaterseries RIVERDALE, NEW YORK, January 16, 2023—Baen Books has signed a contract with author Christopher Ruocchio to publish the final two books in his internationally award-winning Sun Eater series, as well as for a first look deal for Ruocchio’s next series. (end quote)

Just to confuse the likes of me, I think Amazon is listing "Empire of Silence" as published by Gollanz.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uigm78$ekr$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93214&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93214

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:06:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:06 UTC

In article <9110b8d2-910e-4ef9-88f5-7aadff2eb1b8n@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 5:20:53 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.

>https://www.baen.com/pr-suneaterseries RIVERDALE, NEW YORK, January 16,
>2023—Baen Books has signed a contract with author Christopher
>Ruocchio to publish the final two books in his internationally
>award-winning Sun Eater series, as well as for a first look deal for
>Ruocchio’s next series. (end quote)
>
>Just to confuse the likes of me, I think Amazon is listing "Empire of
>Silence" as published by Gollanz.

It's odd for a series to jump from one publisher to another mid-
stream. I wonder what the backstory is.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uigmki$ekr$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93215&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93215

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:13:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:13 UTC

In article <uigm78$ekr$1@reader2.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <9110b8d2-910e-4ef9-88f5-7aadff2eb1b8n@googlegroups.com>,
>Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>>On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 5:20:53 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.
>
>>https://www.baen.com/pr-suneaterseries RIVERDALE, NEW YORK, January 16,
>>2023—Baen Books has signed a contract with author Christopher
>>Ruocchio to publish the final two books in his internationally
>>award-winning Sun Eater series, as well as for a first look deal for
>>Ruocchio’s next series. (end quote)
>>
>>Just to confuse the likes of me, I think Amazon is listing "Empire of
>>Silence" as published by Gollanz.
>
>It's odd for a series to jump from one publisher to another mid-
>stream. I wonder what the backstory is.

Re publishers: Canada being in the overlap between NorAm and
UKish distribution, a lot of my Stableford series are displeasingly
broken between Pan and DAW edition. Looks untidy.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<d38cf43b-ecde-40ce-a556-17312374d638n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93216&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93216

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 12:48:45 -0800 (PST)
Wielding Absolute Power
From: ahasue...@email.com (Ahasuerus)
 by: Ahasuerus - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 20:48 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 2:06:22 PM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <9110b8d2-910e-4ef9...@googlegroups.com>,
> Andrew McDowell <mcdow...@sky.com> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 5:20:53 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.
> >https://www.baen.com/pr-suneaterseries RIVERDALE, NEW YORK, January 16,
> >2023—Baen Books has signed a contract with author Christopher
> >Ruocchio to publish the final two books in his internationally
> >award-winning Sun Eater series, as well as for a first look deal for
> >Ruocchio’s next series. (end quote)
> >
> >Just to confuse the likes of me, I think Amazon is listing "Empire of
> >Silence" as published by Gollanz.
> It's odd for a series to jump from one publisher to another mid-
> stream. I wonder what the backstory is.

Ruocchio became an assistant editor at Baen in 2015. He sold the first
volume in the series, _Empire of Silence_ (2018), to DAW around the
same time. Back then I thought that it was likely done to avoid a
conflict of interests, but that was just a guess.

In 2021 Ruocchio resigned from Baen
(https://www.sollanempire.com/the-author) and became a full-time
writer. As of 2023, conflicts of interests should no longer be an issue.

Of course, there may be other reasons behind the switch, but I haven't
seen anything official, just forum rumors.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uigu9b$1pt02$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93234&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93234

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 15:23:54 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 21:23 UTC

On 11/8/2023 11:20 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <521e9a20-8376-4e8f-b7f6-c2dccc8a5f47n@googlegroups.com>,
> Andrew McDowell <mcdowell_ag@sky.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>>>
>>> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
>>> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>>>

>> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
>>> --
>>> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
>>> My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
>>> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
>>> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
>> The best refutation of the ideal of the omnipotent Emperor that I can
>> think of is the heirarchy above and below the council of Boskone in E E
>> Smith's Lensman universe. We are repeatedly shown that this is
>> vulnerable to the "only good news" phenomenon, where overlings do not
>> hear of the failures of their underlings, because their underlings dare
>> not tell them
>> (https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-6ef2407371c67f0736459378833fab7a). On the other hand, the forces of civilisation are full of people
>> who know the reasons behind their orders and will comply with them
>> enthusiastically in both the letter and the spirit. The other autocrats
>> I can think of are more like Shakespearean Kings, always at risk of a
>> powerful noble challenging them - Ezar and Gregor Vorbarra, the
>> Padishah Emperor, and Elizabeth III Winton (not really under threat of
>> insurrection, but only a constitutional monarch, perhaps with as much
>> power as Queen Victoria) come to mind sufficiently to be found by a web
>> search. Baen was pushing the "Sun Eater" series by Christopher Ruocchio
>> - I think in this we see a noble becoming Emperor. I am not sure by
>> what means, as I wasn't sufficiently impressed by the first book to
>> read further.
>
> Huh. I had not noticed the Sun Eater books moved from DAW to Baen.

Baen publishes quite a few reprints for some reason (probably money !).

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<kr324mFo60hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93235&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93235

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: 9 Nov 2023 03:31:34 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 03:31 UTC

In article <uigq87$1p1ko$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/8/2023 9:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>>
>> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
>> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>>

>https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
>
>One for five, the book I just reviewed, "The Girl Who Owned A City".
>
>Lynn

I remember Empress Isher's thoughts on absolute power:

The man nodded but said nothing. The empress studied him, biting
her lips. "My friend," she said softly at last, "I have it in my
power to make your punishment anything I desire. Anything. Death,
banishment, commutation-" she hesitated-"reinstatement."

Major Sanders sighed wearily. "I know," he said. That was the picture
I suddenly saw."

"I don't understand." She was puzzled. "If you realize the
potentialities of your act, then you were very foolish."

"The picture," he said in a monotone, as if he had not heard her
interruption, "of a time when someone, not necessarily yourself,
would have that power without qualification, without there being
anywhere to turn, without alleviation, without-hope."

She had her answer. "Well, of all the stupidity!" said Innelda
explosively. She leaned back in her chair, momentarily overcome,
drew a deep breath, then shook her head in irritation. "Major," she
said gently, "I feel sorry for you. Surely your knowledge of the
history of my family must have told you that the danger of misuse
of power does not exist. The world is too big. As an individual I
can interfere in the affairs of such a tiny proportion of the human
race that it is ridiculous. Every decree that I issue vanishes into
a positive blur of conflicting interpretations as it recedes from
me. That decree could be ultimately mild-it would make no difference
in the final administration of it. Anything, when applied to eleven
billion people, takes on a meaningless quality that is impossible
to imagine unless you have studied, as I have, actual results."
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<uigq87$1p1ko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93236&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93236

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Wielding Absolute Power
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:15:01 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 20:15 UTC

On 11/8/2023 9:06 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>
> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/

One for five, the book I just reviewed, "The Girl Who Owned A City".

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<f46f4f83-b209-4dbe-82a8-c3a72aeae46an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93242&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93242

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 22:50:31 -0800 (PST)
Wielding Absolute Power
From: johnny1a...@gmail.com (Johnny1A)
 by: Johnny1A - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 06:50 UTC

On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 11:15:22 AM UTC-6, Andrew McDowell wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 3:06:51 PM UTC, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
> >
> > A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
> > efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
> > --
> > My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> > My tor pieces at https://www.tor.com/author/james-davis-nicoll/
> > My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> > My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
> The best refutation of the ideal of the omnipotent Emperor that I can think of is the heirarchy above and below the council of Boskone in E E Smith's Lensman universe. We are repeatedly shown that this is vulnerable to the "only good news" phenomenon, where overlings do not hear of the failures of their underlings, because their underlings dare not tell them (https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-6ef2407371c67f0736459378833fab7a). On the other hand, the forces of civilisation are full of people who know the reasons behind their orders and will comply with them enthusiastically in both the letter and the spirit. The other autocrats I can think of are more like Shakespearean Kings, always at risk of a powerful noble challenging them - Ezar and Gregor Vorbarra, the Padishah Emperor, and Elizabeth III Winton (not really under threat of insurrection, but only a constitutional monarch, perhaps with as much power as Queen Victoria)

Oh, she's substantially more powerful than Victoria. Elizabeth Winton is about as powerful as a POTUS, with the added benefit of not needing to face reelection. She's not an _absolute_ monarch, but her power is very real.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<20231114a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93497&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93497

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:16:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:16 UTC

This is a re-post because the original is missing from more than one
usenet server.

Ted wrote:
> Lynn wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power
>>>
>>> A state managed by a single deciderer should be a marvel of lean
>>> efficiency .... but not according to these authors.
>>>

>>https://www.tor.com/2023/11/08/five-sff-novels-about-autocrats-and-the-problems-of-wielding-absolute-power/
>>
>>One for five, the book I just reviewed, "The Girl Who Owned A City".
>
> I remember Empress Isher's thoughts on absolute power:
>
> The man nodded but said nothing. The empress studied him, biting
> her lips. "My friend," she said softly at last, "I have it in my
> power to make your punishment anything I desire. Anything. Death,
> banishment, commutation-" she hesitated-"reinstatement."
>
> Major Sanders sighed wearily. "I know," he said. That was the picture
> I suddenly saw."
>
> "I don't understand." She was puzzled. "If you realize the
> potentialities of your act, then you were very foolish."
>
> "The picture," he said in a monotone, as if he had not heard her
> interruption, "of a time when someone, not necessarily yourself,
> would have that power without qualification, without there being
> anywhere to turn, without alleviation, without-hope."
>
> She had her answer. "Well, of all the stupidity!" said Innelda
> explosively. She leaned back in her chair, momentarily overcome,
> drew a deep breath, then shook her head in irritation. "Major," she
> said gently, "I feel sorry for you. Surely your knowledge of the
> history of my family must have told you that the danger of misuse
> of power does not exist. The world is too big. As an individual I
> can interfere in the affairs of such a tiny proportion of the human
> race that it is ridiculous. Every decree that I issue vanishes into
> a positive blur of conflicting interpretations as it recedes from
> me. That decree could be ultimately mild-it would make no difference
> in the final administration of it. Anything, when applied to eleven
> billion people, takes on a meaningless quality that is impossible
> to imagine unless you have studied, as I have, actual results."

As you already know, an epub of _The Weapon Shops of Isher_ is found
online [1]. Calibre can convert epubs into audiobooks. [2] .
It's hard for me to find time to read fiction. So audiobooks are
listened to during dog walks instead.
Although it was my original intention to listen to _Weapons Shops_
next, the last novel in the _Hidden Truth_ trilogy talks about Borges
in story. So _The Garden of Forking Paths_ will be my next story.

"The Garden of Forking Paths" is a mystery story, as well as
a spy story, but also a story about the nature of plot itself,
bearing the influence of Chaos theory and quantum mechanics.
In a way that prefigures the modern-day 'narrative' of
computer and video games, where multiple paths through the
game are possible, Ts'ui Pen's novel doesn't so much reject
linearity - such a complete rejection would be possible, when
we are still required to read forwards, turning one page at a
time - as build simultaneity, and multiple possible outcomes,
into its linear structure.
In a way that echoes quantum theory and in particular, the
concept of Schrödinger's cat, characters are simultaneously
dead and alive, having been killed off in one chapter only to
turn up alive and kicking in the next. The idea is to create
an infinite narrative containing every narrative possibility.

<https://interestingliterature.com/2021/07/jorge-luis-borges-the-garden-of-forking-paths-summary-analysis/>

Does "Garden" anticipate the many-worlds interpretation of quantum
mechanics relative to physical reality? Does alternate history rank as
some of the hardest science fiction around given its many-worlds
association?

As an aside, the German studies part of Prospero's Isle [3] only now
caught my eye.

Speaking of German, two of the three Perry Rhodan immortal autocrats:
Perry and Atlan, feel fatigued from fighting off usurpers all the time.
So Atlan abdicates his Arkon throne and Perry decides to downsize his
dominion to a mere Solar Imperium.
Perry's pruning produces unforeseen consequences when the IT
collective takes him to task for failure to federate the Milky Way
in a timely manner in PR1500 "Call of Immortality."
The third autocrat, Lumerian [4] Factor I, finally finds love of
another more compelling than love of power.

Note.

[1] <http://prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article974>
[2] <https://crcomp.net/epubtomp3/index.php>
[3] <http://prosperosisle.org/spip.php?rubrique114>
[4] <http://www.lemuria.net/>

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: (tor dot com) Five SFF Novels About Autocrats and the Problems of Wielding Absolute Power

<kritcjFnr3qU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93499&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93499

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 15 Nov 2023 03:48:35 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:48 UTC

In article <20231114a@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
> [...]
>mechanics relative to physical reality? Does alternate history rank as
>some of the hardest science fiction around given its many-worlds
>association?
>
>As an aside, the German studies part of Prospero's Isle [3] only now
>caught my eye.
>
>Speaking of German, two of the three Perry Rhodan immortal autocrats:
>Perry and Atlan, feel fatigued from fighting off usurpers all the time.
>So Atlan abdicates his Arkon throne and Perry decides to downsize his
>dominion to a mere Solar Imperium.
> Perry's pruning produces unforeseen consequences when the IT
>collective takes him to task for failure to federate the Milky Way
>in a timely manner in PR1500 "Call of Immortality."
> The third autocrat, Lumerian [4] Factor I, finally finds love of
>another more compelling than love of power.

I enjoy alternate history, and have some on my constantly slipping
to-be-reviewed pile, though nothing exceptional. I'm not sure van Vogt
ever did an alternate history, but one of the successors to his mantle,
Ian Wallace, did a book _Pan Saggitarius_ that considered some of the
philosophical implactions: "The If Nodes Of Antan".. _Dr. Orpheus_
by the same author had more musings on the relation of "now" to free will
and concepts like up-time & down-time which were not exactly time travel.
I need to re-read those at some point.