From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Borges, translated by Boucher
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:54:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

Your own Spanish interpretation ultimately determines the decision to
title this "The Garden of Forking Paths" or to use an alternative:
"The Garden of Branching Paths." In any case, the titular Garden
refers to a story within a collection with the same name. This short
story submits a riddle within a riddle:

"In a riddle about chess," Stephen Albert concluded,
"what is the one forbidden word?"

(For the answer see Note [1].)

"Garden of Forking Paths" joins "Book of Sand" as testament to the theme
of the infinite book by Borges. In story, one magical method's mentioned:

Albert went on, “I wondered how a book could be infinite. I
came up with no other conclusion than that it would have to
be a cyclical, or circular, volume - one whose last page
was the same as its first, and with the potential to go
round and round for ever. I recalled the night in the
middle of the Thousand and One Nights, in which Queen
Scheherazade - having distracted the scribe by a trick of
magic - starts to recount the history of the Thousand and
One Nights, thereby running the risk of coming back full
circle to this same night and continuing forever more. ...

"Garden" also exposits an existentially evil element of war. The vibe
seems present in a derivative work - the hypertext fiction
"Victory Garden" by Moulthrop. [2] A sample of the Moulthrop is
available online. [3]

Note.

[1] The word "chess."
[2] <http://www.eastgate.com/catalog/VictoryGarden.html>
[3] <http://www.eastgate.com/VG/VGStart.html>

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Borges, translated by Boucher

<47ed486a-d0b2-48b2-9f22-2ac8d3101fa0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93650&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93650

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 09:10:58 -0800 (PST)
From: mcdowell...@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Sat, 18 Nov 2023 17:10 UTC

On Saturday, November 18, 2023 at 4:54:44 PM UTC, Don wrote:
> Your own Spanish interpretation ultimately determines the decision to
> title this "The Garden of Forking Paths" or to use an alternative:
> "The Garden of Branching Paths." In any case, the titular Garden
> refers to a story within a collection with the same name. This short
> story submits a riddle within a riddle:
>
> "In a riddle about chess," Stephen Albert concluded,
> "what is the one forbidden word?"
>
> (For the answer see Note [1].)
>
> "Garden of Forking Paths" joins "Book of Sand" as testament to the theme
> of the infinite book by Borges. In story, one magical method's mentioned:
>
> Albert went on, “I wondered how a book could be infinite. I
> came up with no other conclusion than that it would have to
> be a cyclical, or circular, volume - one whose last page
> was the same as its first, and with the potential to go
> round and round for ever. I recalled the night in the
> middle of the Thousand and One Nights, in which Queen
> Scheherazade - having distracted the scribe by a trick of
> magic - starts to recount the history of the Thousand and
> One Nights, thereby running the risk of coming back full
> circle to this same night and continuing forever more. ...
>
> "Garden" also exposits an existentially evil element of war. The vibe
> seems present in a derivative work - the hypertext fiction
> "Victory Garden" by Moulthrop. [2] A sample of the Moulthrop is
> available online. [3]
>
> Note.
>
> [1] The word "chess."
> [2] <http://www.eastgate.com/catalog/VictoryGarden.html>
> [3] <http://www.eastgate.com/VG/VGStart.html>
>
> Danke,
>
> --
> Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
> telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
> tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.
I vote for the interpretation "The Garden of Forking Paths" because that is the expression used e.g. in https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2019/08/01/the-garden-of-forking-paths/ A scientific study gains the cachet of being "Statistically Significant" when it finds something that would be extremely unlikely to be the result of chance alone. "The Garden of Forking Paths" is the observation that if you have e.g. ten yes-no decisions to make during the analysis, you have effectively over one thousand different analyses to choose from, so if the probability calculated in each analysis is independent and truly random, it is in fact quite likely that the most extreme result will be something that happens no more than one time in one thousand. So by reporting only that analysis you attain statistical significance, and your paper gains some undeserved scientific respectability.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "The Garden of Forking Paths" by Borges, translated by Boucher