Space tells matter how to move and matter tells space how to curve. -- Wheeler

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

SubjectAuthor
* (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change EveJames Nicoll
+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected CalamitiesLynn McGuire
|+* Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, UnexpectedChristian Weisgerber
||`* Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That ChangePaul S Person
|| `* Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, UnexpectedChristian Weisgerber
||  +* Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, UnexpectedScott Dorsey
||  |`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That ChangeJerry Brown
||  `- Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That ChangePaul S Person
|`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected CalamitiesRobert Carnegie
`- Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That ChangeRobert Woodward

1
(tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<uk7ukt$t7f$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93938&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93938

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:07:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:07 UTC

Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

The problem with being a protagonist is that many readers do not want to
read about uneventful days.

https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamities-that-change-everything/

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<uk8bq3$10fo3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93939&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93939

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities
That Change Everything
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:52:03 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:52 UTC

On 11/29/2023 12:07 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything
>
> The problem with being a protagonist is that many readers do not want to
> read about uneventful days.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamities-that-change-everything/

I saw The Andromeda Strain movie. Does that count ?

Just about half of SF fits this category depending on what the actual
definition of sudden is.

Lynn

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<slrnumfh9i.1856.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93944&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93944

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected
Calamities That Change Everything
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:11:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:11 UTC

On 2023-11-29, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamities-that-change-everything/
>
> I saw The Andromeda Strain movie. Does that count ?

The book is good, too, if you forgive the deus ex machine ending
it shares with the movie. The book also provides an explanation
for the weird effects of the laser gauntlet at the end of the movie.
In the novel, the security system shoots curare flechettes, so the
target starts suffering paralysis. This must have been changed
very, very late to lasers during production of the movie.

> Just about half of SF fits this category depending on what the actual
> definition of sudden is.

Indeed.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<robertaw-24C30C.21453229112023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93950&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93950

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:45:32 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 05:45 UTC

In article <uk7ukt$t7f$1@reader1.panix.com>,
jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything
>
> The problem with being a protagonist is that many readers do not want to
> read about uneventful days.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamiti
> es-that-change-everything/

An adventure is something bad happening to somebody else far away.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<3daf2150-a7bf-480c-88ea-e85988583808n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93955&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93955

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 04:19:21 -0800 (PST)
That Change Everything
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:19 UTC

On Wednesday, 29 November 2023 at 21:52:09 UTC, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 11/29/2023 12:07 PM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything
> >
> > The problem with being a protagonist is that many readers do not want to
> > read about uneventful days.
> >
> > https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamities-that-change-everything/
> I saw The Andromeda Strain movie. Does that count ?
>
> Just about half of SF fits this category depending on what the actual
> definition of sudden is.

You forgot "unexpected", and I believe you're overstating.

A while back, every book that you mentioned with
the abrupt collapse of present-day North American
society, usually because a nuclear bomb caused
an electromagnetic pulse and zapped all of the things.
A man with some weapons must make his way to
the home of his usually estranged wife and children,
for some reason.

It's not all like that.

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<7lghmid8039el9e9581obrvdrgfs5j4qri@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=93970&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93970

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:22:22 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:22 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:11:46 -0000 (UTC), Christian Weisgerber
<naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>On 2023-11-29, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> https://www.tor.com/2023/11/29/five-books-featuring-sudden-unexpected-calamities-that-change-everything/
>>
>> I saw The Andromeda Strain movie. Does that count ?
>
>The book is good, too, if you forgive the deus ex machine ending
>it shares with the movie. The book also provides an explanation
>for the weird effects of the laser gauntlet at the end of the movie.
>In the novel, the security system shoots curare flechettes, so the
>target starts suffering paralysis. This must have been changed
>very, very late to lasers during production of the movie.

I suppose it depends on what is seen as the ending.

I see the ending as "hero braves central core and turns key".

A true deus-ex-machina ending would have the "deus" appear
undexpectedly and solve everything instantly. The T-Rex-ex-machina
ending to /Jurassic Park/ had a T-Rex showing up unexpectedly and
eating the last of the velociraptors (or their larger cousins)
attacking our heroes, thus ending the /only/ part of the film that
could be called "original".

But there is nothing unexpected about finding a working sub-station
and turning the key; it was set up at the beginning of the story.
Indeed, having explained the system so carefully, it became
/unavoidable/ that this be needed at some point. Otherwise, it would
have been a "loose end that was mentioned once and went nowhere".

But perhaps you see it as "strain washes out" (film) or "strain
encircles Earth, ending the space age" (book, IIRC). I don't see a
"deus", but the first could be considered a fairy-tale ending ("a
handsome prince kissed Snow White and she woke up"), I suppose.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<slrnumkbuu.2r04.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94005&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94005

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Calamities That Change Everything
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 19:11:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 19:11 UTC

On 2023-11-30, Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>>> I saw The Andromeda Strain movie. Does that count ?
>>
>>The book is good, too, if you forgive the deus ex machine ending
>>it shares with the movie.
>
> I suppose it depends on what is seen as the ending.

After the humans have failed to control Andromeda, it just like
that mutates into a benign form.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<uke0ti$drm$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94016&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94016

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Calamities That Change Everything
Date: 2 Dec 2023 01:22:58 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 01:22 UTC

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>>The book is good, too, if you forgive the deus ex machine ending
>>>it shares with the movie.
>>
>> I suppose it depends on what is seen as the ending.
>
>After the humans have failed to control Andromeda, it just like
>that mutates into a benign form.

It mutates into a "benign" form while the humans are still trying to
control it, but they don't know that has happened because they aren't paying
attention to their teletype. It's not all THAT benign since it destroys
plastics.
--scott

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<12qlmipv7aqhiafqt47m0erni3091bc5nf@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94022&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94022

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 08:19:44 +0000
 by: Jerry Brown - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:19 UTC

On 2 Dec 2023 01:22:58 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>> I suppose it depends on what is seen as the ending.
>>
>>After the humans have failed to control Andromeda, it just like
>>that mutates into a benign form.
>
>It mutates into a "benign" form while the humans are still trying to
>control it, but they don't know that has happened because they aren't paying
>attention to their teletype. It's not all THAT benign since it destroys
>plastics.

I did wonder if it might mutate again, back into a directly
human-threatening variant. And immune to high ph values.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: (tor dot com) Five Books Featuring Sudden, Unexpected Calamities That Change Everything

<banmmiltjqc1ntjihht7s17uojf5sdko48@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=94025&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94025

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 08:42:52 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 19:11:26 -0000 (UTC), Christian Weisgerber
<naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>>The book is good, too, if you forgive the deus ex machine ending
>>>it shares with the movie.
>>
>> I suppose it depends on what is seen as the ending.
>
>After the humans have failed to control Andromeda, it just like
>that mutates into a benign form.

In the film, it is destroyed.

Apparently, in the book, it migrates to the upper atmosphere and (per
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain])

"The novel's epilogue reveals that a crewed spacecraft, Andros V, was
incinerated during atmospheric re-entry, presumably because Andromeda
had eaten its tungsten/plastic laminate heat shield and caused it to
burn up."

So hardly "benign". Just not directly lethal to humans.