From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: mutil MassUpload adding duplicates?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 12:19:23 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 00:19 UTC

PH> Just an observation but that's a lot of stuff to run in a maint. I
PH> wonder if it would be better to run the mass upload process as something
PH> separate from the rest. I personally don't really see it as a nightly
PH> maint thing.

I would also add to this that purging/packing the msg/file bases isn't
something that I would be expected to do nightly either.

It shouldn't hurt things to run every night but it does recreate all of your
msg/file base data files and is probably the "heaviest" process that MUTIL
does.

I personally run it manually every month or so but if I had a public BBS I'd
probably schedule it to run once per week.

Re: pack and purge

<3991791614@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=942&group=alt.bbs.mystic#942

From: nospam.P...@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: pack and purge
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 14:22:23 +1200
 by: Paul Hayton - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 02:22 UTC

On 08 Feb 2022 at 12:19p, g00r00 pondered and said...
g0> I would also add to this that purging/packing the msg/file bases isn't
g0> something that I would be expected to do nightly either.
g0>
g0> It shouldn't hurt things to run every night but it does recreate all of
g0> your msg/file base data files and is probably the "heaviest" process
g0> that MUTIL does.
g0>
g0> I personally run it manually every month or so but if I had a public BBS
g0> I'd probably schedule it to run once per week.

Yep. good thoughts thanks... I recall it was packing that was the more
intensive, is that right?

Could you happily purge more often than pack?

The other question I had was regarding linking, is it better to link each time
packets are processed or do you think it's more of a nightly thing?

Thanks :)

Re: pack and purge

<1988872438@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=943&group=alt.bbs.mystic#943

From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 21:36:33 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 09:36 UTC

On 09 Feb 2022, Paul Hayton said the following...
PH> The other question I had was regarding linking, is it better to link
PH> each time packets are processed or do you think it's more of a nightly
PH> thing?

I personally link each time I toss in my mailin.ini.

[General]
ImportEchoMail = true
FileToss = true
LinkMessages = true

Jay

.... His eyes are so bad, he has to wear contact lenses to see his glasses.

Re: pack and purge

<1651179536@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=944&group=alt.bbs.mystic#944

From: nospam.P...@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 16:29:49 +1200
 by: Paul Hayton - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 04:29 UTC

On 08 Feb 2022 at 09:36p, Jay Harris pondered and said...
JH> I personally link each time I toss in my mailin.ini.

All this chatter of linking... feels like we should be holding hands and
singing kum-bye-ya heheh

Re: pack and purge

<345879760@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=947&group=alt.bbs.mystic#947

From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:43:59 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:43 UTC

PH> Yep. good thoughts thanks... I recall it was packing that was the more
PH> intensive, is that right?
PH>
PH> Could you happily purge more often than pack?

You could but it makes most sense to me anyway to run them both together maybe
once a week or so.

Purging will enforce the message limits on your bases (max messages and max
message age) by marking them deleted. It will also go through and remove any
private messages that are in the data files for users that no longer exist.

Its not as intensive as rebuilding the message bases, but its still a good
amount of work being done since its scanning through a lot of data.

Packing will then physically rebuild your message bases without all of the data
that purge marked to be deleted. It keeps the bases slim and the message
numbers in order, etc. It can sometimes fix errors as well.

.... They say there's always one weirdo on the bus, but I couldn't find them!