computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Ant
+* Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Justisaur
|`- Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Ant
`* Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"rms
 `- Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"Spalls Hurgenson

1
Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<jlidnh597q3pspq1c4qc9vaviaudine2v8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9428&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9428

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 19:13:34 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 00:13 UTC

This one is from Ubisoft/UPlay/whatever they're called now

Splinter Cell
https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=56c4948a88a7e300458b481c&dwvar_56c4948a88a7e300458b481c_Platform=pcdl&edition=Standard%20Edition&source=detail

Sure, this one is a bit old, and likely it's only being given away to
promote the eventual remake. It's still a pretty good game, although
some of the underlying concepts (an extra-judicial branch of
government that has the authority to assassinate anyone) are a bit
dubious. Still, if you ignore the unsettling politics the gameplay is
solid and even twenty years later, the game still holds up fairly well
in terms of its visuals. The controls are a little bit janky (this was
one bit the sequels worked hard to improve) but with some practice
they become workable. So if you never had the chance to play it,
here's your chance.

You'll need a Ubisoft Connect account to claim.

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<zp6cnTvH3YPefuv-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9429&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9429

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 01:43:31 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 01:43 UTC

Thanks. I only played its free demo back then. Maybe, I'll play it! ;)

--
"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." --Psalm 119:18. Hibernated almost 9 hrs., feeling a little sick, & a bit slammy Thurs.
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<59f67484-8438-401b-b6ef-d6ded964a515n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9439&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9439

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:20:12 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 22:20 UTC

On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 4:13:50 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> This one is from Ubisoft/UPlay/whatever they're called now
>
> Splinter Cell
> https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=56c4948a88a7e300458b481c&dwvar_56c4948a88a7e300458b481c_Platform=pcdl&edition=Standard%20Edition&source=detail
>
> Sure, this one is a bit old, and likely it's only being given away to
> promote the eventual remake. It's still a pretty good game, although
> some of the underlying concepts (an extra-judicial branch of
> government that has the authority to assassinate anyone) are a bit
> dubious. Still, if you ignore the unsettling politics the gameplay is
> solid and even twenty years later, the game still holds up fairly well
> in terms of its visuals. The controls are a little bit janky (this was
> one bit the sequels worked hard to improve) but with some practice
> they become workable. So if you never had the chance to play it,
> here's your chance.
>
> You'll need a Ubisoft Connect account to claim.

Can't log in with my Ubisoft account there. I have Ubisoft Connect...
launch that and it just sits there spinning saying 'logging in' for
5 minutes, then says there's a problem with my internet
connection?!

I don't really have any interest in a stealth game, and troubleshooting
their login isn't my idea of fun, guess I'll miss this one. They can't
even give away games...

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<I6ucnch644DIheX-nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9440&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9440

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:42:13 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:42 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYwKNe4ExXg Splinter Cell ??? Celebrating 20 Years of Stealth Action :O

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> This one is from Ubisoft/UPlay/whatever they're called now

> Splinter Cell
> https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=en_US&pid=56c4948a88a7e300458b481c&dwvar_56c4948a88a7e300458b481c_Platform=pcdl&edition=Standard%20Edition&source=detail

> Sure, this one is a bit old, and likely it's only being given away to
> promote the eventual remake. It's still a pretty good game, although
> some of the underlying concepts (an extra-judicial branch of
> government that has the authority to assassinate anyone) are a bit
> dubious. Still, if you ignore the unsettling politics the gameplay is
> solid and even twenty years later, the game still holds up fairly well
> in terms of its visuals. The controls are a little bit janky (this was
> one bit the sequels worked hard to improve) but with some practice
> they become workable. So if you never had the chance to play it,
> here's your chance.

> You'll need a Ubisoft Connect account to claim.

--
"Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." --John 17:17. FUCLA Bruins & go USC Trojans. ;)
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<9n7inh5r6ltckht6l4qub9rhstcgavsajl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9441&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9441

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 13:26:56 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 18:26 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:20:12 -0800 (PST), Justisaur wrote:
>On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 4:13:50 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> This one is from Ubisoft/UPlay/whatever they're called now

>Can't log in with my Ubisoft account there. I have Ubisoft Connect...
>launch that and it just sits there spinning saying 'logging in' for
>5 minutes, then says there's a problem with my internet
>connection?!

I had a similar issue but I assumed it was because of an issue with
the client (Ubisoft recently switched from 'UPlay' to 'UConnect',
presumably with the requisite changes to backend software). Since I
haven't been making sure to keep things up to date I just assumed I
was behind the times, uninstalled UPlay and grabbed the latest version
from the Ubisoft page. That seemed to fix things.

>I don't really have any interest in a stealth game, and troubleshooting
>their login isn't my idea of fun, guess I'll miss this one. They can't
>even give away games...

I think it's a fun game, and it was somewhat definitive in creating
the modern stealth genre (dare I say, moreso than even Thief) but if
that sort of thing doesn't appeal, I doubt "Splinter Cell" will change
your mind. On the other hand, maybe grab it 'just in case' you do want
to give it a try one day? Anyway, that's the excuse I always use when
I see a free game I've no immediate interest in. ;-P

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<tlbgt3$3a3i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9442&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9442

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:13:06 -0700
 by: rms - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 21:13 UTC

>Splinter Cell

I keep being unsure if I've played this game, or just Chaos Theory. I
recall starting out in a cave, but it's all fuzzy. Isn't there either a new
game in development, or a remake as well?

rms

Re: Free Game: "Splinter Cell"

<kf0jnh19ifhur7f9usg947moh5g2j5nro0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9443&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9443

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 20:39:35 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 01:39 UTC

On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:13:06 -0700, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>>Splinter Cell

> I keep being unsure if I've played this game, or just Chaos Theory. I
>recall starting out in a cave, but it's all fuzzy. Isn't there either a new
>game in development, or a remake as well?

The original game starts outside a burning building somewhere in
Georgia (the nation, not the US state). "Pandora Tomorrow" (the second
game) begins on a dock on some tropical island (I want to say Timor?).
"Chaos Theory" starts on the shore of... I forget where except it ends
up atop a lighthouse (Wikipedia says Peru). I'm pretty sure the first
one doesn't have any caves in its first level, so it must be one of
the other two (my guess is the third but it's been too long since I
last played it)

(YouTube indicates you traverse sea caves on the way to the top of the
lighthouse. That answers that).

Ubisoft announced a remake of the original game December last year;
they dropped some tidbits about it just a few days ago (say, right
about the same time they decided to give away the original.
Coincidence?). It's going to use the "Tom Clancy: Division" engine
and - in addition to the usual visual upgrades - Ubisoft touts
improved AI, although given that a lot of the franchise was fairly
heavily (and necessarily) scripted I'm not sure that's all that
important.

There's been - at least as I'm aware - no confirmed reports about a
new game for the franchise, however. Rumors, sure, but nothing
confirmed.