From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: SUSE RHEL
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:05:54 +0100
 by: Richmond - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:05 UTC

Is Redhat violating this clause of the GPL?

"When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the
covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
technological measures."

Re: SUSE RHEL

<u8k0v2$2vbd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=946&group=alt.os.linux.suse#946

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: SUSE RHEL
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:45:22 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:45 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> Is Redhat violating this clause of the GPL?
>
> "When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
> circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
> is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the
> covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
> modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
> users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
> technological measures."

IBM has the bigger lawyers, but we'll see if this hurts their bottom line.

Re: SUSE RHEL

<c6k0ojxaqq.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=947&group=alt.os.linux.suse#947

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 20:38:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:38 UTC

https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/
https://www.suse.com/c/at-suse-we-make-choice-happen/

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Faq

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: SUSE RHEL

<85jzv5igv4.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=948&group=alt.os.linux.suse#948

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:06:23 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:06 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:

> On 2023-07-11 18:05, Richmond wrote:
>> Is Redhat violating this clause of the GPL?
>> "When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
>> circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
>> is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the
>> covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
>> modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
>> users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
>> technological measures."
>
> https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/
> https://www.suse.com/c/at-suse-we-make-choice-happen/
>
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Faq

As far as I can tell these links don't answer the question.

What happens if a RHEL subscriber posts all the RHEL source code on an
open server?

Re: SUSE RHEL

<tvd2ojx7lm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=949&group=alt.os.linux.suse#949

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:05:01 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

On 2023-07-12 12:06, Richmond wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:
>> On 2023-07-11 18:05, Richmond wrote:
>>> Is Redhat violating this clause of the GPL?
>>> "When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
>>> circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
>>> is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the
>>> covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
>>> modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
>>> users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
>>> technological measures."
>>
>> https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/
>> https://www.suse.com/c/at-suse-we-make-choice-happen/
>>
>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Faq
>
> As far as I can tell these links don't answer the question.
>
> What happens if a RHEL subscriber posts all the RHEL source code on an
> open server?

You'd better ask that in a RHEL group, not in an openSUSE/SUSE one. ;-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: SUSE RHEL

<u8m3fe$394l8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=950&group=alt.os.linux.suse#950

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:40:30 +0200
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:40 UTC

Richmond wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:
>
>> On 2023-07-11 18:05, Richmond wrote:
>>> Is Redhat violating this clause of the GPL?
>>> "When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
>>> circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
>>> is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to the
>>> covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
>>> modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
>>> users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
>>> technological measures."
>>
>> https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/
>> https://www.suse.com/c/at-suse-we-make-choice-happen/
>>
>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Faq
>
> As far as I can tell these links don't answer the question.
>
> What happens if a RHEL subscriber posts all the RHEL source code on an
> open server?

If you had followed this story at all you would have noticed that a
couple of "RH satellite" distributions have every intention of seeing
that question answered empirically.