Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:06:09 -0500
Subject: Re: olcott, it's really simple [ succinct summation ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 01:06 UTC

On 6/16/2022 2:15 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>
>> Given olcott's code,
>>
>> #include <stdint.h>
>> typedef void (*ptr)();
>>
>> void P(ptr x)
>> {
>> if (H(x, x))
>> HERE: goto HERE;
>> return;
>> }
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
>> }
>>
>> and olcott's assertion that H is a pure function and H(P,P) == 0,
>> then, P should halt as H should also return 0 to P
>
> You mean P(P) should halt, and it does. PO does not dispute this fact.
> Not only has he posted a trace of P(P) halting, he has clearly stated
> that H(P,P) == 0 "is the correct answer even though P(P) halts".[1]
>
>> (pure functions
>> ALWAYS return the same result for the same arguments with no side
>> effects). P doesn't halt so H is erroneous; olcott, it's really that
>> simple.
>
> Except that he is now just asserting that H(P,P) == 0 is correct about
> something else (the "correct simulation of the input to H(P,P)") and the
> mistakes in that irrelevant statement are keeping him supplied with the
> attention he craves. You might consider not giving him what he wants.
>
> [1] Message-ID: <c8idnbFAF6C8QuP8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com>

When a simulating halt decider rejects all inputs as non-halting
whenever it correctly detects that its correct and complete simulation
of its input would never reach the final state of this input then all
[these] inputs (including pathological inputs) are decided correctly.

*computation that halts* … the Turing machine will halt whenever it
enters a final state. (Linz:1990:234)

Linz, Peter 1990. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata.
Lexington/Toronto: D. C. Heath and Company. (317-320)

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: olcott, it's really simple [ succinct summation ]

<joRqK.7179$Sf2.3064@fx34.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9470&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9470

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:10:22 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 02:10 UTC

On 6/16/22 9:06 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/16/2022 2:15 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>>
>>> Given olcott's code,
>>>
>>> #include <stdint.h>
>>> typedef void (*ptr)();
>>>
>>> void P(ptr x)
>>> {
>>>     if (H(x, x))
>>>       HERE: goto HERE;
>>>     return;
>>> }
>>>
>>> int main()
>>> {
>>>     Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
>>> }
>>>
>>> and olcott's assertion that H is a pure function and H(P,P) == 0,
>>> then, P should halt as H should also return 0 to P
>>
>> You mean P(P) should halt, and it does.  PO does not dispute this fact.
>> Not only has he posted a trace of P(P) halting, he has clearly stated
>> that H(P,P) == 0 "is the correct answer even though P(P) halts".[1]
>>
>>> (pure functions
>>> ALWAYS return the same result for the same arguments with no side
>>> effects). P doesn't halt so H is erroneous; olcott, it's really that
>>> simple.
>>
>> Except that he is now just asserting that H(P,P) == 0 is correct about
>> something else (the "correct simulation of the input to H(P,P)") and the
>> mistakes in that irrelevant statement are keeping him supplied with the
>> attention he craves.  You might consider not giving him what he wants.
>>
>> [1] Message-ID: <c8idnbFAF6C8QuP8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com>
>>

> When a simulating halt decider rejects all inputs as non-halting
> whenever it correctly detects that its correct and complete simulation
> of its input would never reach the final state of this input then all
> [these] inputs (including pathological inputs) are decided correctly.
>
> *computation that halts* … the Turing machine will halt whenever it
> enters a final state. (Linz:1990:234)
>
> Linz, Peter 1990. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata.
> Lexington/Toronto: D. C. Heath and Company. (317-320)

Wrong, you can't talk about H's correcgt and complete emulation of its
input unless it actually does that. Until you can show how H does an
infinite number of steps of emulation in finite time to return the
answer, you are claiming an inpossibility.

Yes, if infinity was a finite number, all sorts of strange things can
happen, but it isn't.