To live is always desirable. -- Eleen the Capellan, "Friday's Child", stardate 3498.9

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control

SubjectAuthor
* (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control-hh
+* Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal controlAlan
|`- Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control-hh
`- Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal controlSandman

1
(New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control

<07b45c0c-31f1-41b3-a25c-a62deeba0c26n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9535&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9535

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:58:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:58 UTC

Well, for those hungry for actual CSMA content to talk about...

Just happened to read through this article:
<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control-vs-sidecar/>

It compares & contrasts the 2019 "sidecar" capability with the new 2021
beta of "universal control". I found it educational because I've not really
been paying much attention to either one of them.

In a nutshell, my impression & understanding is that Sidecar (SC)
is to use one iOS tablet as 2nd display on one Mac (1:1), whereas
the intent of Universal Control (UC) seems to be closer to the
functional idea of a magical KVM switch where a single keyboard
& mouse is being used by multiple attached devices (many:many*)
& switches between to drive any of them.

* - apparently, at least one UC device must be a Mac.

Thoughts?

It seems pretty self-evident that SC is a partial capability stepping
stone to UC, but does it have value just on its own?

For example, is SC a "gimping" of the iOS device when its in that
mode such that the only thing it does is be a passive display with
no other UI interaction options? What happens with an iPad in SC
mode when one reaches a finger/pencil over to its touchscreen?
And so on.

Kind of wondering what the utility is, before trying to compare/
contrast it to what may exist on Windows/Linux/Android...

-hh

Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control

<stelvv$1o4a$5@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9537&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9537

From: nop...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:27:59 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:27 UTC

On 2022-02-02 4:58 a.m., -hh wrote:
> Well, for those hungry for actual CSMA content to talk about...
>

> Just happened to read through this article:
> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control-vs-sidecar/>
>
> It compares & contrasts the 2019 "sidecar" capability with the new 2021
> beta of "universal control". I found it educational because I've not really
> been paying much attention to either one of them.
>
> In a nutshell, my impression & understanding is that Sidecar (SC)
> is to use one iOS tablet as 2nd display on one Mac (1:1), whereas
> the intent of Universal Control (UC) seems to be closer to the
> functional idea of a magical KVM switch where a single keyboard
> & mouse is being used by multiple attached devices (many:many*)
> & switches between to drive any of them.
>
> * - apparently, at least one UC device must be a Mac.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> It seems pretty self-evident that SC is a partial capability stepping
> stone to UC, but does it have value just on its own?
>
> For example, is SC a "gimping" of the iOS device when its in that
> mode such that the only thing it does is be a passive display with
> no other UI interaction options? What happens with an iPad in SC
> mode when one reaches a finger/pencil over to its touchscreen?
> And so on.
>
> Kind of wondering what the utility is, before trying to compare/
> contrast it to what may exist on Windows/Linux/Android...

Sidecar is definitely more than a passive display.

You can use your finger (or your Apple Pencil) to do things you would
have ordinarily done with the mouse and the pointer: select, draw, etc.

You can also scroll whatever you're displaying and you've got other
gestures for cut, copy, paste, undo and redo as well.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380>

I've not actually had an opportunity to use it, but I'm visiting my
sister-in-law later, and she has the necessary equipment to try it out,
so I'll have a look.

Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control

<13495aee-bbbf-4f0d-b60d-237848f102fan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9538&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9538

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:43:49 -0800 (PST)
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:43 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 2:28:01 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 4:58 a.m., -hh wrote:
> > Well, for those hungry for actual CSMA content to talk about...
> >

> > Just happened to read through this article:
> > <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control-vs-sidecar/>
> >
> > It compares & contrasts the 2019 "sidecar" capability with the new 2021
> > beta of "universal control". I found it educational because I've not really
> > been paying much attention to either one of them.
> >
> > In a nutshell, my impression & understanding is that Sidecar (SC)
> > is to use one iOS tablet as 2nd display on one Mac (1:1), whereas
> > the intent of Universal Control (UC) seems to be closer to the
> > functional idea of a magical KVM switch where a single keyboard
> > & mouse is being used by multiple attached devices (many:many*)
> > & switches between to drive any of them.
> >
> > * - apparently, at least one UC device must be a Mac.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > It seems pretty self-evident that SC is a partial capability stepping
> > stone to UC, but does it have value just on its own?
> >
> > For example, is SC a "gimping" of the iOS device when its in that
> > mode such that the only thing it does is be a passive display with
> > no other UI interaction options? What happens with an iPad in SC
> > mode when one reaches a finger/pencil over to its touchscreen?
> > And so on.
> >
> > Kind of wondering what the utility is, before trying to compare/
> > contrast it to what may exist on Windows/Linux/Android...
> Sidecar is definitely more than a passive display.
>
> You can use your finger (or your Apple Pencil) to do things you would
> have ordinarily done with the mouse and the pointer: select, draw, etc.
>
> You can also scroll whatever you're displaying and you've got other
> gestures for cut, copy, paste, undo and redo as well.
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210380>
>
> I've not actually had an opportunity to use it, but I'm visiting my
> sister-in-law later, and she has the necessary equipment to try it out,
> so I'll have a look.

I have the M1 mini (still putzing/procrastinating on its final setup) and
up-to-iOS-date iPads, so I probably have the equipment needed to try
sidecar .. just haven't looked into it at all yet; probably need to figure out
what the more compelling use case is for it for myself.

-hh

Re: (New On-Topic Thread!) MacOS .. sidecar & universal control

<sandman-350ce97dd72cf96f978d62e783495f6c@individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9543&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9543

From: mr...@sandman.net (Sandman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 7 Feb 2022 06:48:10 GMT
 by: Sandman - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 06:48 UTC

In article <07b45c0c-31f1-41b3-a25c-a62deeba0c26n@googlegroups.com>, -hh wrote:

> Well, for those hungry for actual CSMA content to talk about...

> Just happened to read through this article:
> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/universal-control-vs-sidecar>

> It compares & contrasts the 2019 "sidecar" capability with the new
> 2021 beta of "universal control". I found it educational because
> I've not really been paying much attention to either one of them.

> In a nutshell, my impression & understanding is that Sidecar (SC) is
> to use one iOS tablet as 2nd display on one Mac (1:1), whereas the
> intent of Universal Control (UC) seems to be closer to the
> functional idea of a magical KVM switch where a single keyboard &
> mouse is being used by multiple attached devices (many:many*) &
> switches between to drive any of them.

> * - apparently, at least one UC device must be a Mac.

> Thoughts?

> It seems pretty self-evident that SC is a partial capability
> stepping stone to UC, but does it have value just on its own?

> For example, is SC a "gimping" of the iOS device when its in that
> mode such that the only thing it does is be a passive display with
> no other UI interaction options? What happens with an iPad in SC
> mode when one reaches a finger/pencil over to its touchscreen? And
> so on.

> Kind of wondering what the utility is, before trying to compare/
> contrast it to what may exist on Windows/Linux/Android...

It's really two different use cases. Sidecar is to use your iPad as a screen for
your Mac, which is pretty neat. Universal Control lets your iPad use your mouse
and keyboard as input.

In sidecar mode, the iPad can't be used for anything else, so it's "gimping" it
in that regard. But since you presumably aren't using your iPad and your Mac at
the same time, the extra screen real estate is nice.

But if you're using your iPad and Mac at the same time, then Universal Control is
for you. I can't see this use case myself, but I guess it may be useful to some.

--
Sandman