From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Tomb Raider remade
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 10:41:37 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 15:41 UTC

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before; there's a fan-made update
to the original (1996) version of "Tomb Raider". I mean, a graphics
overhaul of an ancient DOS game? That's right up my alley! And yet -
though it's been around for a while - not only haven't I discovered it
until now, but I hadn't even considered such a thing existed. I must
be slipping.

Anyway, it's called "CroftEngine" and I recommend it to any fans of
the classic game.

file download here:
https://github.com/stohrendorf/CroftEngine/releases/
video preview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZjvZ1CtE4

The mod does a good job straddling the need to improve the visuals
while still retaining the overall look and feel of the original
(unsurprisingly, as it is mostly just improved lighting and resolution
rather than changes to textures or level designs). Too many games -
whether official or fan-made - go overboard with their changes,
transforming the remade game into something entirely new and different
from the original ("System Shock Remake", I'm looking at you).

Otherwise, the game remains fairly true to the original. Actually, I
do wish they'd tweak the controls just a bit, but at least you can
remap the keys. But some of those levels are more difficult than they
need be, simply because the controls are so stiff and unwieldy.

But on the whole, this is exactly the sort of upgrade of classic games
I like to see: good graphics, limited in scope, and made by fans for
the love of the game rather than to make a quick buck.

Re: Tomb Raider remade

<tmddp1$34bma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9624&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9624

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Tomb Raider remade
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 10:48:15 -0700
 by: rms - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:48 UTC

>Anyway, it's called "CroftEngine" and I recommend it to any fans of
>the classic game.

>file download here:
>https://github.com/stohrendorf/CroftEngine/releases/
>video preview here:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZjvZ1CtE4

Nice, I'll keep this in mind!

rms

Re: Tomb Raider remade

<2nrkoh51mkishaio4iivb8vf5d6nb0aef1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9627&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9627

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:33:09 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:33 UTC

On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 10:41:37 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before; there's a fan-made update
>to the original (1996) version of "Tomb Raider". I mean, a graphics
>overhaul of an ancient DOS game? That's right up my alley! And yet -
>though it's been around for a while - not only haven't I discovered it
>until now, but I hadn't even considered such a thing existed. I must
>be slipping.
>
>Anyway, it's called "CroftEngine" and I recommend it to any fans of
>the classic game.
>
>file download here:
>https://github.com/stohrendorf/CroftEngine/releases/
>video preview here:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZjvZ1CtE4
>
>The mod does a good job straddling the need to improve the visuals
>while still retaining the overall look and feel of the original
>(unsurprisingly, as it is mostly just improved lighting and resolution
>rather than changes to textures or level designs). Too many games -
>whether official or fan-made - go overboard with their changes,
>transforming the remade game into something entirely new and different
>from the original ("System Shock Remake", I'm looking at you).
>
>Otherwise, the game remains fairly true to the original. Actually, I
>do wish they'd tweak the controls just a bit, but at least you can
>remap the keys. But some of those levels are more difficult than they
>need be, simply because the controls are so stiff and unwieldy.
>
>But on the whole, this is exactly the sort of upgrade of classic games
>I like to see: good graphics, limited in scope, and made by fans for
>the love of the game rather than to make a quick buck.

Wow. I just checked and I still have GliDOS squirreled away in my Glide
wrappers directory.

It's been a long time since that works. Thanks for the tip.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten