Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.

computers / comp.sys.unisys / Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure due to a delete

SubjectAuthor
* Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSIILuke Numrych
+* Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSIILuke Numrych
|`- Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSIIPaul Kimpel
+- Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSIILuiz Arroyo
`- Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSIILuiz Arroyo

1
Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure due to a delete

<a05cedea-5571-4da3-a6dc-974cc38cbcben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=94&group=comp.sys.unisys#94

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 10:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII
structure due to a delete
From: luke.num...@gmail.com (Luke Numrych)
 by: Luke Numrych - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:16 UTC

The "Enterprise Database Server DASDL Programming Reference Manual" alludes that "new areas can also be allocated as the result of delete operations". Unfortunately, no further information is given as to when can that happen and under what conditions, or exactly how are those new areas created (since one hopes it is not on a 1-to-1 basis...).
Can anyone point me to where I could find more information about that?
Is there a way to estimate the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure that can be caused by a delete operation based on the number of records to be deleted?

Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure due to a delete

<b423197f-8e86-4627-bc1a-5d7569a10501n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=95&group=comp.sys.unisys#95

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 10:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
structure due to a delete
From: luke.num...@gmail.com (Luke Numrych)
 by: Luke Numrych - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:24 UTC

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, Luke Numrych wrote:
> The "Enterprise Database Server DASDL Programming Reference Manual" alludes that "new areas can also be allocated as the result of delete operations". Unfortunately, no further information is given as to when can that happen and under what conditions, or exactly how are those new areas created (since one hopes it is not on a 1-to-1 basis...).
> Can anyone point me to where I could find more information about that?
> Is there a way to estimate the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure that can be caused by a delete operation based on the number of records to be deleted?
I may have answered my own question... the data set in question is a STANDARD data set, and I see in the description of the "AREAS" option that "enough available space is allocated to avoid run-time limit errors even if all records in the data set are deleted".
It I understand this correctly, I should not have to worry then?

Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure due to a delete

<6c65e15a-8c84-2e63-7e27-8cc08a0425ae@digm.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=96&group=comp.sys.unisys#96

From: paul.kim...@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
structure due to a delete
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 16:21:45 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 23:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 05:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
structure due to a delete
From: luiz.arr...@gmail.com (Luiz Arroyo)
 by: Luiz Arroyo - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 12:51 UTC

Em terça-feira, 24 de agosto de 2021 às 19:16:43 UTC+2, Luke Numrych escreveu:
> The "Enterprise Database Server DASDL Programming Reference Manual" alludes that "new areas can also be allocated as the result of delete operations". Unfortunately, no further information is given as to when can that happen and under what conditions, or exactly how are those new areas created (since one hopes it is not on a 1-to-1 basis...).
> Can anyone point me to where I could find more information about that?
> Is there a way to estimate the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure that can be caused by a delete operation based on the number of records to be deleted?

The DK table is a list of deleted record spaces that can be reused later. To store this information, space is needed. If you delete a lot of records, extra areas can be allocated to store the DK table entry for the new deleted records. If you are near 1000 areas for a specific dataset with millions of records to delete the program might receive a Limit Error exception on the DELETE statement.

Re: Estimating the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure due to a delete

<9ccb69c8-9d97-4790-bfa5-e6541ef8a421n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=98&group=comp.sys.unisys#98

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 05:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
structure due to a delete
From: luiz.arr...@gmail.com (Luiz Arroyo)
 by: Luiz Arroyo - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 12:53 UTC

Em terça-feira, 24 de agosto de 2021 às 19:16:43 UTC+2, Luke Numrych escreveu:
> The "Enterprise Database Server DASDL Programming Reference Manual" alludes that "new areas can also be allocated as the result of delete operations". Unfortunately, no further information is given as to when can that happen and under what conditions, or exactly how are those new areas created (since one hopes it is not on a 1-to-1 basis...).
> Can anyone point me to where I could find more information about that?
> Is there a way to estimate the potential increase in the area size of a DMSII structure that can be caused by a delete operation based on the number of records to be deleted?

The DK table is a list of deleted records entries that can be reused later. To store this information, space is needed. If you delete a lot of records, extra areas can be allocated to store the DK table entry for the new deleted records. If you are near 1000 areas for a specific dataset with millions of records to delete the program might receive a Limit Error exception on the DELETE statement.