From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Obsolete file format
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:38:50 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:38 UTC

G'day folks,

I was upgrading an old VRPC RISC OS 4.39 install to RISC OS 6.20, it all
went okay as expected.

Upon booting I was getting one instance of..
"This application uses an obsolete executable file format which is no
longer supported by RISC OS".

It's such a long time ago I did this update from scratch, I only have a
vague recollection of that obsolete executable problem.

Anyway...
With the help of Reporter (Obviously) I was able to identify the app in
question and remove it from the boot sequence.

Can some kind person remind me of the minutia of this change?

Thanks
Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Obsolete file format

<so58e4$dd7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=987&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#987

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Obsolete file format
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:20:03 +0000
 by: druck - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:20 UTC

On 29/11/2021 09:38, Dave wrote:
> I was upgrading an old VRPC RISC OS 4.39 install to RISC OS 6.20, it all
> went okay as expected.
>
> Upon booting I was getting one instance of..
> "This application uses an obsolete executable file format which is no
> longer supported by RISC OS".
>
> It's such a long time ago I did this update from scratch, I only have a
> vague recollection of that obsolete executable problem.
>
> Anyway...
> With the help of Reporter (Obviously) I was able to identify the app in
> question and remove it from the boot sequence.
>
> Can some kind person remind me of the minutia of this change?

It's probably some ancient C program compiled with the APCS-A register
bindings, which are no longer supported by the SHaredCLibrary

http://www.riscos.com/support/developers/prm/procstd.html

---druck

Obsolete file format

<59938d9535dave@triffid.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=989&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#989

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:49:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:49 UTC

In article <so58e4$dd7$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 29/11/2021 09:38, Dave wrote:
> > I was upgrading an old VRPC RISC OS 4.39 install to RISC OS 6.20, it all
> > went okay as expected.
> >
> > Upon booting I was getting one instance of..
> > "This application uses an obsolete executable file format which is no
> > longer supported by RISC OS".
> >
> > It's such a long time ago I did this update from scratch, I only have a
> > vague recollection of that obsolete executable problem.
> >
> > Anyway...
> > With the help of Reporter (Obviously) I was able to identify the app in
> > question and remove it from the boot sequence.
> >
> > Can some kind person remind me of the minutia of this change?

> It's probably some ancient C program compiled with the APCS-A register
> bindings, which are no longer supported by the SHaredCLibrary

> http://www.riscos.com/support/developers/prm/procstd.html

> ---druck

Thanks for the thought, appreciated.

The App was '!ROSpace' an old thing that enabled the user to add there own
Sprite file to be used as a screen saver.

It appears to be in Basic.

After I'd removed it from the RISC OS 4.39 place where it was originally
installed...
"HostFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.RO420Hook.Res.Configure.ScrSavers.Topix.!ROSpace"
I re-installed it using the !ROSpace Install from within it, the place of
the install was in...
HostFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.RO600Hook.Res.Configure.ScrSavers.Topix.!ROSpace"
and that works okay without moaning.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid