To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Synchronous Systems

SubjectAuthor
* Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson
`* Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
 `* Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
  `* Re: Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson
   `* Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
    `* Re: Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson
     `* Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
      `* Re: Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson
       `* Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
        +* Re: Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson
        |`- Re: Synchronous SystemsJeff Barnett
        `- Re: Synchronous SystemsDouglas Eagleson

1
Synchronous Systems

<fe4e7cf2-8849-4732-9414-ba34bc95ca8fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9167&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9167

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 13:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Synchronous Systems
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 20:10 UTC

I am working on a project. How does a synchronous system get to be stated in my version of AI, old Greek theory. These have two or more systems with a common state. Synchronous can be random/coincidental caused or caused by a variable/human action. These point to an AI relation inferable.

Two clocks can be made synchronous by a simple relative time. Actions at times can make this relative solvable. Making synchronous an abstract relation.

Re: Synchronous Systems

<t7lqhm$2j8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9168&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9168

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re: Synchronous Systems
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 15:11:16 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 6 Jun 2022 21:11 UTC

On 6/6/2022 2:10 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> I am working on a project. How does a synchronous system get to be stated in my version of AI, old Greek theory. These have two or more systems with a common state. Synchronous can be random/coincidental caused or caused by a variable/human action. These point to an AI relation inferable.
>
> Two clocks can be made synchronous by a simple relative time. Actions at times can make this relative solvable. Making synchronous an abstract relation.
Warning: my spelling of names is probably not accurate.
In the mid 1960s, Alan Perlis then at CMU, was dissertation advisor to
two PhD students working in foundations of Computer Science vis à vis
program language semantics.
One student was Tim Standish who wrote about data structure definition
primitives. One could use the proposed set of primitives to explain data
structure definition in your favorite languages. In other words, his
primitives could be used as a macro language to define the intent of
data declarations. This dissertation was noted by a big chunk of the CS
community who was, at the time, trying develop better tools for
inventing and implementing new languages. Last I knew, Tim was at
University of California at Irvine.
The other student was Bob(?) Fisher(?) and he did something that on the
surface sounded as similar to Tim's work. The difference was that he
wanted primitives to define the meaning of /control/ structures. Not
only did he handle the usual (sequence, parallel, conditional, etc.) he
also dealt with sexier things such as atomic-with-respect-to,
wait-for-condition (join), indivisible-with-respect-to, priorities
(e.g., to model interrupts), and more. I think Bob(?) was at DARPA soon
after school and then disappeared into the wood work.
I don't know how you might get a copy of Bob's dissertation but, if you
could, a whole panorama of interesting possibilities might be made
apparent to you and your endeavor.
I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with references and citations
but by encounters with the individuals mentioned happened 50+ years ago.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Synchronous Systems

<t7qlqt$isa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9205&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9205

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 11:21:30 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 17:21 UTC

On 6/6/2022 3:11 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/6/2022 2:10 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
>> I am working on a project. How does a synchronous system get to be
>> stated in my version of AI, old Greek theory. These have two or more
>> systems with a common state.   Synchronous can be random/coincidental
>> caused or caused by a variable/human action.  These point to an AI
>> relation inferable.
>>
>> Two clocks can be made synchronous by a simple relative time. Actions
>> at times can make this relative solvable. Making synchronous an
>> abstract relation.
>
> Warning: my spelling of names is probably not accurate.
>
> In the mid 1960s, Alan Perlis then at CMU, was dissertation advisor to
> two PhD students working in foundations of Computer Science vis à vis
> program language semantics.
>
> One student was Tim Standish who wrote about data structure definition
> primitives. One could use the proposed set of primitives to explain data
> structure definition in your favorite languages. In other words, his
> primitives could be used as a macro language to define the intent of
> data declarations. This dissertation was noted by a big chunk of the CS
> community who was, at the time, trying develop better tools for
> inventing and implementing new languages. Last I knew, Tim was at
> University of California at Irvine.
>
> The other student was Bob(?) Fisher(?) and he did something that on the
> surface sounded as similar to Tim's work. The difference was that he
> wanted primitives to define the meaning of /control/ structures. Not
> only did he handle the usual (sequence, parallel, conditional, etc.) he
> also dealt with sexier things such as atomic-with-respect-to,
> wait-for-condition (join), indivisible-with-respect-to, priorities
> (e.g., to model interrupts), and more. I think Bob(?) was at DARPA soon
> after school and then disappeared into the wood work.
>
> I don't know how you might get a copy of Bob's dissertation but, if you
> could, a whole panorama of interesting possibilities might be made
> apparent to you and your endeavor.
>
> I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with references and citations
> but by encounters with the individuals mentioned happened 50+ years ago.
I did a little poking around and found a correct name: "Dave A. Fisher".
His dissertation is also available online. Google "Fisher, Control
Structures" and the first hit is a PDF at the pseudo URL
"https://citeseers.ist.psu.edu>viewdoc>download". Just click on this
item in the Google output and whatever your setup does for PDF will happen.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Synchronous Systems

<724bc56a-2538-43d1-af12-03e698187c8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9263&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9263

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 21:32 UTC

On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:21:36 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/6/2022 3:11 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> > On 6/6/2022 2:10 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> >> I am working on a project. How does a synchronous system get to be
> >> stated in my version of AI, old Greek theory. These have two or more
> >> systems with a common state. Synchronous can be random/coincidental
> >> caused or caused by a variable/human action. These point to an AI
> >> relation inferable.
> >>
> >> Two clocks can be made synchronous by a simple relative time. Actions
> >> at times can make this relative solvable. Making synchronous an
> >> abstract relation.
> >
> > Warning: my spelling of names is probably not accurate.
> >
> > In the mid 1960s, Alan Perlis then at CMU, was dissertation advisor to
> > two PhD students working in foundations of Computer Science vis à vis
> > program language semantics.
> >
> > One student was Tim Standish who wrote about data structure definition
> > primitives. One could use the proposed set of primitives to explain data
> > structure definition in your favorite languages. In other words, his
> > primitives could be used as a macro language to define the intent of
> > data declarations. This dissertation was noted by a big chunk of the CS
> > community who was, at the time, trying develop better tools for
> > inventing and implementing new languages. Last I knew, Tim was at
> > University of California at Irvine.
> >
> > The other student was Bob(?) Fisher(?) and he did something that on the
> > surface sounded as similar to Tim's work. The difference was that he
> > wanted primitives to define the meaning of /control/ structures. Not
> > only did he handle the usual (sequence, parallel, conditional, etc.) he
> > also dealt with sexier things such as atomic-with-respect-to,
> > wait-for-condition (join), indivisible-with-respect-to, priorities
> > (e.g., to model interrupts), and more. I think Bob(?) was at DARPA soon
> > after school and then disappeared into the wood work.
> >
> > I don't know how you might get a copy of Bob's dissertation but, if you
> > could, a whole panorama of interesting possibilities might be made
> > apparent to you and your endeavor.
> >
> > I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with references and citations
> > but by encounters with the individuals mentioned happened 50+ years ago..
> I did a little poking around and found a correct name: "Dave A. Fisher".
> His dissertation is also available online. Google "Fisher, Control
> Structures" and the first hit is a PDF at the pseudo URL
> "https://citeseers.ist.psu.edu>viewdoc>download". Just click on this
> item in the Google output and whatever your setup does for PDF will happen.
> --
> Jeff Barnett
I downloaded Fisher's dissertation. I need a while to read it.
Basically, my first look is to be understanding the general/abstract
control structure.

Is there a control structure definable using object theory?
Generalizing the meaning of it's primitive.

Re: Synchronous Systems

<t7tt73$5lv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9274&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9274

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 16:45:51 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 22:45 UTC

On 6/9/2022 3:32 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:21:36 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:

>>> Warning: my spelling of names is probably not accurate.
>>>
>>> In the mid 1960s, Alan Perlis then at CMU, was dissertation advisor to
>>> two PhD students working in foundations of Computer Science vis à vis
>>> program language semantics.
>>>
>>> One student was Tim Standish who wrote about data structure definition
>>> primitives. One could use the proposed set of primitives to explain data
>>> structure definition in your favorite languages. In other words, his
>>> primitives could be used as a macro language to define the intent of
>>> data declarations. This dissertation was noted by a big chunk of the CS
>>> community who was, at the time, trying develop better tools for
>>> inventing and implementing new languages. Last I knew, Tim was at
>>> University of California at Irvine.
>>>
>>> The other student was Bob(?) Fisher(?) and he did something that on the
>>> surface sounded as similar to Tim's work. The difference was that he
>>> wanted primitives to define the meaning of /control/ structures. Not
>>> only did he handle the usual (sequence, parallel, conditional, etc.) he
>>> also dealt with sexier things such as atomic-with-respect-to,
>>> wait-for-condition (join), indivisible-with-respect-to, priorities
>>> (e.g., to model interrupts), and more. I think Bob(?) was at DARPA soon
>>> after school and then disappeared into the wood work.
>>>
>>> I don't know how you might get a copy of Bob's dissertation but, if you
>>> could, a whole panorama of interesting possibilities might be made
>>> apparent to you and your endeavor.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry that I can't be more specific with references and citations
>>> but by encounters with the individuals mentioned happened 50+ years ago.
>> I did a little poking around and found a correct name: "Dave A. Fisher".
>> His dissertation is also available online. Google "Fisher, Control
>> Structures" and the first hit is a PDF at the pseudo URL
>> "https://citeseers.ist.psu.edu>viewdoc>download". Just click on this
>> item in the Google output and whatever your setup does for PDF will happen.
>> --
>> Jeff Barnett
> I downloaded Fisher's dissertation. I need a while to read it.
> Basically, my first look is to be understanding the general/abstract
> control structure.
>
> Is there a control structure definable using object theory?
> Generalizing the meaning of it's primitive.
A short answer to your question is probably no but maybe. The issue is
that control cliches define behavior, not "static" relations among data.
The "maybe" comes from local nests of related behaviors as abstract
objects then defining relations among these sorts of objects.
It's been a longtime since I read it so I can't rely on my memory for
any real details. What I do remember is that it was a thrill to see a
thesis take on such a difficult, abstract problem and get some of it
right (IMO). There was nothing like it in the literature so it was a
first hack at nailing down one of the most important aspects of
computational systems and the whole notion of a computation.
Unfortunately, this work was not followed by a second tier of research.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Synchronous Systems

<056c68bf-8636-4e70-87b4-e56bbdc32ba9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9279&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9279

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 19:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 02:19 UTC

On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 6:45:59 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/9/2022 3:32 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:

> >> I did a little poking around and found a correct name: "Dave A. Fisher".
> >> His dissertation is also available online. Google "Fisher, Control
> >> Structures" and the first hit is a PDF at the pseudo URL
> >> "https://citeseers.ist.psu.edu>viewdoc>download". Just click on this
> >> item in the Google output and whatever your setup does for PDF will happen.
> >> --
> >> Jeff Barnett
> > I downloaded Fisher's dissertation. I need a while to read it.
> > Basically, my first look is to be understanding the general/abstract
> > control structure.
> >
> > Is there a control structure definable using object theory?
> > Generalizing the meaning of it's primitive.
> A short answer to your question is probably no but maybe. The issue is
> that control cliches define behavior, not "static" relations among data.
> The "maybe" comes from local nests of related behaviors as abstract
> objects then defining relations among these sorts of objects.
>
> It's been a longtime since I read it so I can't rely on my memory for
> any real details. What I do remember is that it was a thrill to see a
> thesis take on such a difficult, abstract problem and get some of it
> right (IMO). There was nothing like it in the literature so it was a
> first hack at nailing down one of the most important aspects of
> computational systems and the whole notion of a computation.
> Unfortunately, this work was not followed by a second tier of research.
> --
> Jeff Barnett
I did a google search and found some later work of Fisher.
I believe he went to help with DOD on the foundations of
the ADA language.

Re: Synchronous Systems

<t7ubec$lnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9280&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9280

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 20:48:40 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 02:48 UTC

On 6/9/2022 8:19 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 6:45:59 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:

>>> I downloaded Fisher's dissertation. I need a while to read it.
>>> Basically, my first look is to be understanding the general/abstract
>>> control structure.
>>>
>>> Is there a control structure definable using object theory?
>>> Generalizing the meaning of it's primitive.
>> A short answer to your question is probably no but maybe. The issue is
>> that control cliches define behavior, not "static" relations among data.
>> The "maybe" comes from local nests of related behaviors as abstract
>> objects then defining relations among these sorts of objects.
>>
>> It's been a longtime since I read it so I can't rely on my memory for
>> any real details. What I do remember is that it was a thrill to see a
>> thesis take on such a difficult, abstract problem and get some of it
>> right (IMO). There was nothing like it in the literature so it was a
>> first hack at nailing down one of the most important aspects of
>> computational systems and the whole notion of a computation.
>> Unfortunately, this work was not followed by a second tier of research.
>> --
>> Jeff Barnett
> I did a google search and found some later work of Fisher.
> I believe he went to help with DOD on the foundations of
> the ADA language.
That sounds right. I bumped into him once after he was done at CMU. We
talked for a while - he was amazed that anyone had read his
dissertation. I can't recall where this happened but he mentioned having
been at DARPA and I assumed that he was there in the Information
Technology Office as a Program Manager (PM). In the 1960s and most of
the 70s, most of that office's PMs were recent PhD graduates. Later on,
PMs were either military or civilians who were comfortable in suits
and ties. Big change.
As I said above, I was disappointed that nobody picked up and continued
his line of research. If taken to the next step it would have an impact
on hardware design, compiling programs with tons of parallelism, and
make it possible to better reason about covert channels when trying to
determine security properties of systems.
Good luck with your endeavor.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Synchronous Systems

<53b8834b-3da2-4bf6-a790-dabaf6119277n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9832&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9832

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 21:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 04:29 UTC

On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:48:49 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 6/9/2022 8:19 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:

> >> A short answer to your question is probably no but maybe. The issue is
> >> that control cliches define behavior, not "static" relations among data.
> >> The "maybe" comes from local nests of related behaviors as abstract
> >> objects then defining relations among these sorts of objects.
> >>
> >> It's been a longtime since I read it so I can't rely on my memory for
> >> any real details. What I do remember is that it was a thrill to see a
> >> thesis take on such a difficult, abstract problem and get some of it
> >> right (IMO). There was nothing like it in the literature so it was a
> >> first hack at nailing down one of the most important aspects of
> >> computational systems and the whole notion of a computation.
> >> Unfortunately, this work was not followed by a second tier of research..
> >> --
> >> Jeff Barnett
> > I did a google search and found some later work of Fisher.
> > I believe he went to help with DOD on the foundations of
> > the ADA language.
> That sounds right. I bumped into him once after he was done at CMU. We
> talked for a while - he was amazed that anyone had read his
> dissertation. I can't recall where this happened but he mentioned having
> been at DARPA and I assumed that he was there in the Information
> Technology Office as a Program Manager (PM). In the 1960s and most of
> the 70s, most of that office's PMs were recent PhD graduates. Later on,
> PMs were either military or civilians who were comfortable in suits
> and ties. Big change.
>
> As I said above, I was disappointed that nobody picked up and continued
> his line of research. If taken to the next step it would have an impact
> on hardware design, compiling programs with tons of parallelism, and
> make it possible to better reason about covert channels when trying to
> determine security properties of systems.
>
> Good luck with your endeavor.
> --
> Jeff Barnett
well I read the first 50 pages and it turned into Einstein level logic.
He calls a control structure as defining an Interpreter for an Interpreter.
This creator Interpreter does not need to compile itself as per Turing
advice. It can be implemented in a language such as C using subroutines
and functions and other C structures.

He goes into great detail designing a syntax for his language Sol.

I did have difficulty reading which "Interpreter" he was writing about.

He introduced the operation of a process "monitor". Basically
a list of objects held in a main process. He stated quite nicely the
idea of only exercising a list item when an input variable has a state change.
Maybe a poorman's object monitor can implement object process?

I am still looking at the synchronous issue. Basically I need to make
a blackbox the checks for this state. The issue of clock error occurs.
So a class of input must be a degree of accuracy, maybe as a percentage.

I got lost in the realm of math. Does a function simply define
a synchronous path? I need some advice.

I do believe two numbers always existing together can be called
synchronous

Re: Synchronous Systems

<t9u2k6$3al8l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9833&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9833

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 00:50:44 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 06:50 UTC

On 7/3/2022 10:29 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:48:49 AM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:

>>> I did a google search and found some later work of Fisher.
>>> I believe he went to help with DOD on the foundations of
>>> the ADA language.
>> That sounds right. I bumped into him once after he was done at CMU. We
>> talked for a while - he was amazed that anyone had read his
>> dissertation. I can't recall where this happened but he mentioned having
>> been at DARPA and I assumed that he was there in the Information
>> Technology Office as a Program Manager (PM). In the 1960s and most of
>> the 70s, most of that office's PMs were recent PhD graduates. Later on,
>> PMs were either military or civilians who were comfortable in suits
>> and ties. Big change.
>>
>> As I said above, I was disappointed that nobody picked up and continued
>> his line of research. If taken to the next step it would have an impact
>> on hardware design, compiling programs with tons of parallelism, and
>> make it possible to better reason about covert channels when trying to
>> determine security properties of systems.
>>
>> Good luck with your endeavor.
>> --
>> Jeff Barnett
> well I read the first 50 pages and it turned into Einstein level logic.
> He calls a control structure as defining an Interpreter for an Interpreter.
> This creator Interpreter does not need to compile itself as per Turing
> advice. It can be implemented in a language such as C using subroutines
> and functions and other C structures.
>
> He goes into great detail designing a syntax for his language Sol.
>
> I did have difficulty reading which "Interpreter" he was writing about.
>
> He introduced the operation of a process "monitor". Basically
> a list of objects held in a main process. He stated quite nicely the
> idea of only exercising a list item when an input variable has a state change.
> Maybe a poorman's object monitor can implement object process?
>
> I am still looking at the synchronous issue. Basically I need to make
> a blackbox the checks for this state. The issue of clock error occurs.
> So a class of input must be a degree of accuracy, maybe as a percentage.
>
> I got lost in the realm of math. Does a function simply define
> a synchronous path? I need some advice.
>
> I do believe two numbers always existing together can be called
> synchronous
I'll start with the last questions first: You ask what he meant by a
function and that is not so easy to answer. Mathematically a function is
an entity that maps some values to other values, where the input values
are always mapped to the same output values. In the world of software we
don't mean that at all. Take a similar question: What's a structure? The
answer is that it's the thing defined by your language's primitive with
a name like DEFSTRUCT. Similarly a function, subroutine, etc., is that
thing defined by the primitive your language provides to define such
things. Does a function define a synchronous path? Depends on the
language in which it is defined.
I don't know what it means for two numbers to always exist together so I
couldn't determine if they were synchronous.
It's been (quite) a while since I read this thesis but I might be able
to add some to what you have got out of it so far. The things said about
multiple interpreters was the following: In order to interpret a control
structure, the interpreter must "do" the control structure. Let's take
an example: PARALLEL(x, y, z), where x, y, and z are program pieces. In
order to really get the effect of parallel execution, the interpreter
must, in general, start Ix, Iy, and Iz; three interpreter routines, one
to interpret x, one to interpret y, and one to interpret z and they must
execute in parallel. And the same thing needs to happen when each of the
other control primitives are encountered. (There are, of course,
optimizations such as subsume a sequential element that appears in a
sequential, etc.) One may think that you could simulate PARALLEL by some
sort of interleaving on sequential hardware but when you mix in other
control relations the interpreter can't be faithful to the implied
semantics.

Click here to read the complete article

Re: Synchronous Systems

<3f148420-cd58-4b82-a443-8bc3e3ae29cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9857&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9857

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 00:25 UTC

On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 2:50:51 PM UTC+8, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> [...]
> move data from module to module and enforce sequential execution among
> threads, an I don't care what order they run in (pseudo parallel), and
> condition monitors. There were some tokens pushed around to simulate
> control signals, etc., something like Petri nets. The point of this
> exercise was to put together a problem solver that did not commit order
> of computation constraints when there was no reason to do so. As we
> learned more, we could modify the CSL to exhibit more directed behavior.
> By the way, the pseudo parallel directive assigned random numbers
> dynamically to parallel threads as priorities so that running the system
> on the same data multiple times could exhibit multiple behaviors and
> generate different answers.
>
> I don't necessarily recommend reading another obscure paper (on CSL) but
hello
I am just an average guy. It will take longer to to reply.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Synchronous Systems

<tb9emm$1ot3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9858&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9858

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:40:32 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 17:40 UTC

On 7/19/2022 6:25 PM, Douglas Eagleson wrote:
> [...]
>> of computation constraints when there was no reason to do so. As we
>> learned more, we could modify the CSL to exhibit more directed behavior.
>> By the way, the pseudo parallel directive assigned random numbers
>> dynamically to parallel threads as priorities so that running the system
>> on the same data multiple times could exhibit multiple behaviors and
>> generate different answers.
>>
>> I don't necessarily recommend reading another obscure paper (on CSL) but
>> if you are interested, a pdf copy is at
>> https://notatt.com/large-systems.pdf
>> --
>> Jeff Barnett
> hello
> I am just an average guy. It will take longer to to reply.
>
> Synchronous is a huge topic.. It can be thought of as a relation
> in time domain. I give up, but will get value from your reply.
Good luck exploring this topic. I always found it interesting.
--
Jeff Barnett

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Synchronous Systems

<c777e2a6-1b79-446a-86d1-5690c61a760en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9859&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9859

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: eagleson...@gmail.com (Douglas Eagleson)
 by: Douglas Eagleson - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 02:53 UTC

> [...]
> move data from module to module and enforce sequential execution among
> threads, an I don't care what order they run in (pseudo parallel), and
> condition monitors. There were some tokens pushed around to simulate
> control signals, etc., something like Petri nets. The point of this
> exercise was to put together a problem solver that did not commit order
> of computation constraints when there was no reason to do so. As we
> learned more, we could modify the CSL to exhibit more directed behavior.
> By the way, the pseudo parallel directive assigned random numbers
> dynamically to parallel threads as priorities so that running the system
> on the same data multiple times could exhibit multiple behaviors and
> generate different answers.
>
> I don't necessarily recommend reading another obscure paper (on CSL) but
I am still writing a reply.
Pure synchronous computation is running the same code on multiple
identical computers.

Click here to read the complete article