I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth. -- Neil Armstrong

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

SubjectAuthor
* Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxJohnny
+* Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxCarlos E.R.
|+- Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxJohnny
|`* Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux25B.R866
| `* Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux25B.E866
|   `- Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxCarlos E. R.
+- Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxComputer Nerd Kev
`- Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX LinuxFamily Guy

1
Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<20230218095049.3c4a3861@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9860&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9860

From: Joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:50:49 -0600
 by: Johnny - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:50 UTC

I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org and requested
the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list. We will see
what happens.

This is the website that gives the Email address:

https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

It's at the bottom of the page. It might help if more people requested
the new group.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<fuu7cjxods.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9872&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9872

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 23:09:51 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 22:09 UTC

On 2023-02-18 16:50, Johnny wrote:

> I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org and requested
> the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list. We will see
> what happens.
>
> This is the website that gives the Email address:
>
> https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
>
> It's at the bottom of the page. It might help if more people requested
> the new group.

Are you asking for the creation of a new group, or an existing group to
be added to eternal-september?

If the former, the procedure is more complex and you will have to at
least argue it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<20230218164228.6001ca93@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9873&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9873

From: Joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:42:28 -0600
 by: Johnny - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 22:42 UTC

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 23:09:51 +0100
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-02-18 16:50, Johnny wrote:
> >
> > I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org and
> > requested the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list.
> > We will see what happens.
> >
> > This is the website that gives the Email address:
> >
> > https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
> >
> > It's at the bottom of the page. It might help if more people
> > requested the new group.
> >

> Are you asking for the creation of a new group, or an existing group
> to be added to eternal-september?
>
> If the former, the procedure is more complex and you will have to at
> least argue it.

The request has been made. The group I requested it in is moderated,
and has not been replied to.

This is how newsgroups are requested.

When the need arises for a new newsgroup, somebody will post an article
to news.announce.newgroups proposing the creation of the group. This
type of proposal is called an RFD ("request for discussion"). Once the
RFD is posted, discussion begins in news.groups.proposals.

http://www.harley.com/usenet/usenet-tutorial/how-are-newsgroups-created.html

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<63f164b2@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9875&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9875

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 19 Feb 2023 09:52:22 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 23:52 UTC

Johnny <Johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org and requested
> the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list. We will see
> what happens.

What was wrong with the suggestion that you received in
alt.os.linux.debian that you should use alt.os.linux.mepis because
MX Linux used to be Mepis?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<7v-dnaJjgNesWWz-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9890&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9890

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 25B.R...@noaaba.net (25B.R866)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 01:39:43 -0500
 by: 25B.R866 - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 06:39 UTC

On 2/18/23 5:09 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-02-18 16:50, Johnny wrote:
>>
>> I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org  and requested
>> the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list.  We will see
>> what happens.
>>
>> This is the website that gives the Email address:
>>
>> https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
>>
>> It's at the bottom of the page.  It might help if more people requested
>> the new group.
>>

> Are you asking for the creation of a new group, or an existing group to
> be added to eternal-september?
>
> If the former, the procedure is more complex and you will have to at
> least argue it.

While MX is extremely good - I use it - I don't
think it needs its very own newsgroup. 99% of
issues will be "general Linux" issues and not
anything specific to MX.

There are a good 100+ distros out there, just check
distrowatch. A group for each just "dilutes" the
value of community support. A Ubuntu answer is likely
to be useful to LOTS of people - but if there are
super-dedicated groups then almost nobody SEES said
answers unless they're massively cross-posted.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<09d9cjxiee.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9893&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9893

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:20:32 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:20 UTC

On 2023-02-19 07:39, 25B.R866 wrote:
> On 2/18/23 5:09 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-02-18 16:50, Johnny wrote:
>>>
>>> I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org  and requested
>>> the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list.  We will see
>>> what happens.
>>>
>>> This is the website that gives the Email address:
>>>
>>> https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
>>>
>>> It's at the bottom of the page.  It might help if more people requested
>>> the new group.
>>>

>> Are you asking for the creation of a new group, or an existing group
>> to be added to eternal-september?
>>
>> If the former, the procedure is more complex and you will have to at
>> least argue it.
>
>   While MX is extremely good - I use it - I don't
>   think it needs its very own newsgroup. 99% of
>   issues will be "general Linux" issues and not
>   anything specific to MX.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux>

MX Linux

MX Linux is a Linux distribution based on Debian stable and using core
antiX components, with additional software created or packaged by the MX
community.[2] The development of MX Linux is a collaborative effort
between the antiX and former MEPIS communities. The MX 'name' comes from
the M for MEPIS and the X from antiX - an acknowledgment of their roots.
The community's stated goal is to produce "a family of operating systems
that are designed to combine elegant and efficient desktops with high
stability and solid performance".

MX Linux uses Xfce as main desktop environment, to which it adds a
freestanding KDE Plasma version and, in 2021, a standalone Fluxbox
implementation. Other environments can be added or are available as
"spin-off" ISO images.

>   There are a good 100+ distros out there, just check
>   distrowatch. A group for each just "dilutes" the
>   value of community support. A Ubuntu answer is likely
>   to be useful to LOTS of people - but if there are
>   super-dedicated groups then almost nobody SEES said
>   answers unless they're massively cross-posted.

I suppose MX has its own communication channels. Mail list, web forum?

There are always questions that are peculiar to each distribution.
Installation questions, possible bugs...

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<tt177i$tolc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9939&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9939

From: suzy...@outlook.com (Family Guy)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:36:49 +0800
 by: Family Guy - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 01:36 UTC

Johnny wrote:

> I just sent an Email to wolfgang@eternal-september.org and requested
> the group MX Linux be added to their subscribers list. We will see
> what happens.
>
> This is the website that gives the Email address:
>
> https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
>
> It's at the bottom of the page. It might help if more people requested
> the new group.

There is MX Linux on Reddit. That is getting about 2 posts per day.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<iIScnQxdor_RPGj-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9956&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9956

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 25B.E...@noaaba.net (25B.E866)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:59:56 -0500
 by: 25B.E866 - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 04:59 UTC

On 2/19/23 6:20 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-02-19 07:39, 25B.R866 wrote:

>>> Are you asking for the creation of a new group, or an existing group
>>> to be added to eternal-september?
>>>
>>> If the former, the procedure is more complex and you will have to at
>>> least argue it.
>>
>>    While MX is extremely good - I use it - I don't
>>    think it needs its very own newsgroup. 99% of
>>    issues will be "general Linux" issues and not
>>    anything specific to MX.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux>
>
> MX Linux
>
> MX Linux is a Linux distribution based on Debian stable and using core
> antiX components, with additional software created or packaged by the MX
> community.[2] The development of MX Linux is a collaborative effort
> between the antiX and former MEPIS communities. The MX 'name' comes from
> the M for MEPIS and the X from antiX - an acknowledgment of their roots.
> The community's stated goal is to produce "a family of operating systems
> that are designed to combine elegant and efficient desktops with high
> stability and solid performance".
>
> MX Linux uses Xfce as main desktop environment, to which it adds a
> freestanding KDE Plasma version and, in 2021, a standalone Fluxbox
> implementation. Other environments can be added or are available as
> "spin-off" ISO images.
>

>>    There are a good 100+ distros out there, just check
>>    distrowatch. A group for each just "dilutes" the
>>    value of community support. A Ubuntu answer is likely
>>    to be useful to LOTS of people - but if there are
>>    super-dedicated groups then almost nobody SEES said
>>    answers unless they're massively cross-posted.
>
> I suppose MX has its own communication channels. Mail list, web forum?
>
> There are always questions that are peculiar to each distribution.
> Installation questions, possible bugs...

Yes, but a dedicated newsgroup ??? I think it just
dilutes answers to "general Linux" issues.

Re: Request for a newsgroup for MX Linux

<k5n3diFbcpbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9973&group=comp.os.linux.misc#9973

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:58:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 17:58 UTC

On 2023-02-22 05:59, 25B.E866 wrote:
> On 2/19/23 6:20 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>>    While MX is extremely good - I use it - I don't
>>>    think it needs its very own newsgroup. 99% of
>>>    issues will be "general Linux" issues and not
>>>    anything specific to MX.
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_Linux>
>>
>> MX Linux
>>
>> MX Linux is a Linux distribution based on Debian stable and using core
>> antiX components, with additional software created or packaged by the
>> MX community.[2] The development of MX Linux is a collaborative effort
>> between the antiX and former MEPIS communities. The MX 'name' comes
>> from the M for MEPIS and the X from antiX - an acknowledgment of their
>> roots. The community's stated goal is to produce "a family of
>> operating systems that are designed to combine elegant and efficient
>> desktops with high stability and solid performance".
>>
>> MX Linux uses Xfce as main desktop environment, to which it adds a
>> freestanding KDE Plasma version and, in 2021, a standalone Fluxbox
>> implementation. Other environments can be added or are available as
>> "spin-off" ISO images.
>>

>>>    There are a good 100+ distros out there, just check
>>>    distrowatch. A group for each just "dilutes" the
>>>    value of community support. A Ubuntu answer is likely
>>>    to be useful to LOTS of people - but if there are
>>>    super-dedicated groups then almost nobody SEES said
>>>    answers unless they're massively cross-posted.
>>
>> I suppose MX has its own communication channels. Mail list, web forum?
>>
>> There are always questions that are peculiar to each distribution.
>> Installation questions, possible bugs...
>

>   Yes, but a dedicated newsgroup ??? I think it just
>   dilutes answers to "general Linux" issues.

There are dedicated newsgroups already. Some people (few) seem to prefer
them to the channels of the distribution. Thinking of alt.os.linux.suse
(alt.os.linux.opensuse is empty).

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.