From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps,comp.sys.acorn.programmer
Subject: Re: eSpeak - can't access file en_rules
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 23:16:59 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 23:16 UTC

In message <c3da14c259.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>, Harriet Bazley
<harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been playing around with creating an en_extra file inside !eSpeak
> in order to correct the program's pronunciation of various proper nouns,
> and managed to get it to work for a while, though the process is not
> exactly user-friendly.
>
> But when I tried to recompile it again after a few days' rest, I
> couldn't get anything other than the perplexing error "Can't access
> file"
>
> *show espeak*
> eSpeak$Dir : SCSI::SSD.$.Sound.!eSpeak
> *speak --compile=en
> Can't access (r) file 'en_rules'
> *

OK, I've had a blinding flash of inspiration and worked out the issue
here - it works if you *set the current directory* from the command-line
to !eSpeak.dictsource first... which I have very vague memories of doing
for some reason or other during my original experimentation.

So the module is looking for the literal file "en_rules" in the CSD,
rather than in the location "<eSpeak$dir>.dictsource.en_rules". Probably
the classic Unix/RISC OS directory separator problem? (Unless the code
really is written only to operate on files in the root directory, which
seems unlikely....)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

If it's not broken, don't fix it.