The easiest way to get the root password is to become system admin. -- Unknown source

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

SubjectAuthor
* 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Mike S.
|`* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Ant
| `* Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Spalls Hurgenson
|  `- comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation (was Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-AwaAnt
+- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Justisaur
`- Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15Dimensional Traveler

1
2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<otomphhslcs0ija3mtu5ejcd3mrnpcsgd7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9917&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9917

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:25:55 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:25 UTC

The mooses are whispering in my ears again. The things they are
saying... most cannot be repeated (moose can be incredibly coarse).
But one of the things they are saying I can repeat, and that's "give
the nice people on Usenet another game." Who am I to resist the
command of a moose?

(Actually, what they said is, "give the nice people TWO games, but
since I'm too lazy to make two posts - and because the games are so
closely related - we'll do it all in one go, s'aright? S'aright.)

------------------------------------

* 112 Operator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/793460/112_Operator/
Didja ever wanna grow up to me the person working on the other end of
the emergency dispatch phone line? No, of course you didn't; what a
ridiculous question. Z486I Nobody has life goals that tame. But did
you ever wonder what it would be to have that job? Well, maybe. If so,
now Q8AJIyou can find out for yourself! Field calls then send the
appropriate response vehicles to the location. It's largely a game of
resource management (you only have so many ambulances and firetrucks)
and while it's a bit simplistic - it KR8FL looks and plays a bit like
a mobile game - it can be a bit challenging and fun. It's a better
game than first impressions might suggest, is what I'm saying.

* 911 Operator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/503560/911_Operator/
So this is basically the same game as above, except using the wrong
(sorry, American ;-) phone number. YN8VR It's basically just JPF7M a
reskin, so pick whichever one best J93M6 fits your locale and leave
the other to somebody else. Personally, I'm still holding out for
"0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 Operator"; I think we can all agree that'
the far more memorable number. ;-)

------------------------------------

The meese have spoken, and I have obeyed. Hopefully that gets them to
stop whispering in my ear because, frankly, their hairy lips are
really tickling my lobes. ;-)

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<popmph1tnlf785cj1d5qnrv9k9glv5vpve@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9918&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9918

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:28:20 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:28 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:25:55 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>* 112 Operator
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/793460/112_Operator/
>Didja ever wanna grow up to me the person working on the other end of
>the emergency dispatch phone line? No, of course you didn't; what a
>ridiculous question. Z486I Nobody has life goals that tame. But did
>you ever wonder what it would be to have that job? Well, maybe. If so,
>now Q8AJIyou can find out for yourself! Field calls then send the
>appropriate response vehicles to the location. It's largely a game of
>resource management (you only have so many ambulances and firetrucks)
>and while it's a bit simplistic - it KR8FL looks and plays a bit like
>a mobile game - it can be a bit challenging and fun. It's a better
>game than first impressions might suggest, is what I'm saying.
>

>* 911 Operator
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/503560/911_Operator/
>So this is basically the same game as above, except using the wrong
>(sorry, American ;-) phone number. YN8VR It's basically just JPF7M a
>reskin, so pick whichever one best J93M6 fits your locale and leave
>the other to somebody else. Personally, I'm still holding out for
>"0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 Operator"; I think we can all agree that'
>the far more memorable number. ;-)

This does not appeal to me so I will pass. Hopefully one of the
regulars here gets it.

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<tng15h$1lg1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9919&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9919

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:47:44 -0800
 by: Ant - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:47 UTC

On 12/15/2022 10:28 AM, Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 13:25:55 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * 112 Operator
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/793460/112_Operator/
>> Didja ever wanna grow up to me the person working on the other end of
>> the emergency dispatch phone line? No, of course you didn't; what a
>> ridiculous question. Z486I Nobody has life goals that tame. But did
>> you ever wonder what it would be to have that job? Well, maybe. If so,
>> now Q8AJIyou can find out for yourself! Field calls then send the
>> appropriate response vehicles to the location. It's largely a game of
>> resource management (you only have so many ambulances and firetrucks)
>> and while it's a bit simplistic - it KR8FL looks and plays a bit like
>> a mobile game - it can be a bit challenging and fun. It's a better
>> game than first impressions might suggest, is what I'm saying.
>>

>> * 911 Operator
>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/503560/911_Operator/
>> So this is basically the same game as above, except using the wrong
>> (sorry, American ;-) phone number. YN8VR It's basically just JPF7M a
>> reskin, so pick whichever one best J93M6 fits your locale and leave
>> the other to somebody else. Personally, I'm still holding out for
>> "0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 Operator"; I think we can all agree that'
>> the far more memorable number. ;-)
>
> This does not appeal to me so I will pass. Hopefully one of the
> regulars here gets it.

Ditto. Not a fan of simulation. They do look pretty! CCed
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic to see if anyone wants it. :P How
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation doesn't exist?
--
"The angel said to [Mary], 'Do not be afraid, you have found favor with
God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<b81bc516-0bca-48c2-b0ce-f2d04fc26a46n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9920&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9920

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:52:47 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:52 UTC

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 10:26:01 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> The mooses are whispering in my ears again. The things they are
> saying... most cannot be repeated (moose can be incredibly coarse).
> But one of the things they are saying I can repeat, and that's "give
> the nice people on Usenet another game." Who am I to resist the
> command of a moose?

Are you sure they aren't saying "I vant to bite your sister!"

> * 911 Operator
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/503560/911_Operator/
> So this is basically the same game as above, except using the wrong
> (sorry, American ;-) phone number. YN8VR It's basically just JPF7M a
> reskin, so pick whichever one best J93M6 fits your locale and leave
> the other to somebody else. Personally, I'm still holding out for
> "0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 Operator"; I think we can all agree that'
> the far more memorable number. ;-)

I took this one. I was tempted to take the other one as I'd probably
enjoy the accents more. I'll give it a try. Thanks Spalls!

Thanks to Moss too.

- Justiaur

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<aabnphlff637uo6btei53h600s24gkeahc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9922&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9922

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:43:12 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 23:43 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:47:44 -0800, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>Ditto. Not a fan of simulation. They do look pretty! CCed
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic to see if anyone wants it. :P How
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation doesn't exist?

Well, there's comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim. That's got some sim in
it.

(Which gives me shades of "You can try the spam, spam, spam, spam,
spam, eggs, and spam. That's got some spam in it", but maybe that's
because pretty much anything reminds me of a Python quote)

But mostly because 'sims' as we define them today really weren't a
thing back in the early 90s when c.s.i.p.games was broken apart.

Realistic racing games like "NASCAR" and "Indycar" were seen as
driving games, an entirely different genre (and anyway, most racing
games didn't bother with that sort of fidelity). Giant robot games
("Mechwarrior") or space-flight games ("Wing Commander") couldn't be
considered "simulations" since they were representing fictional
vehicles. "Gunboat" or "M1 Tank Platoon" were arguably simulations,
but usually also contained enough strategic elements that they could
be slotted elsewhere, and anyway were rare enough that it hardly
needed an entirely unique newsgroup dedicated to them. Lifestyle sims
("Eurotruck Simulator" or "Lawn Mowing Simulator") just didn't exist.
And world simulations - "SimCity" or "The Sims" or - as in this case -
"911 Operator" tended to be slotted either as strategy games or as
miscellenous oddities.

No, if you were interested in simulations in 1993, that meant you were
airborne (usually in a jet, sometimes in a Cesna, rarely in a
helicopter), and as such the appropriate newsgroup was.
c.s.i.p.g.a.flight-sim. Everything else was simply assigned elsewhere.

And that's why there isn't a c.s.i.p.g.a.simulations ;-)

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation (was Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15)

<OyKdnQhTG6aFXAb-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9923&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9923

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation (was Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:51:36 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:51 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 12:47:44 -0800, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >Ditto. Not a fan of simulation. They do look pretty! CCed
> >comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic to see if anyone wants it. :P How
> >comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.simulation doesn't exist?

> Well, there's comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim. That's got some sim in
> it.

> (Which gives me shades of "You can try the spam, spam, spam, spam,
> spam, eggs, and spam. That's got some spam in it", but maybe that's
> because pretty much anything reminds me of a Python quote)

> But mostly because 'sims' as we define them today really weren't a
> thing back in the early 90s when c.s.i.p.games was broken apart.

> Realistic racing games like "NASCAR" and "Indycar" were seen as
> driving games, an entirely different genre (and anyway, most racing
> games didn't bother with that sort of fidelity). Giant robot games
> ("Mechwarrior") or space-flight games ("Wing Commander") couldn't be
> considered "simulations" since they were representing fictional
> vehicles. "Gunboat" or "M1 Tank Platoon" were arguably simulations,
> but usually also contained enough strategic elements that they could
> be slotted elsewhere, and anyway were rare enough that it hardly
> needed an entirely unique newsgroup dedicated to them. Lifestyle sims
> ("Eurotruck Simulator" or "Lawn Mowing Simulator") just didn't exist.
> And world simulations - "SimCity" or "The Sims" or - as in this case -
> "911 Operator" tended to be slotted either as strategy games or as
> miscellenous oddities.

> No, if you were interested in simulations in 1993, that meant you were
> airborne (usually in a jet, sometimes in a Cesna, rarely in a
> helicopter), and as such the appropriate newsgroup was.
> c.s.i.p.g.a.flight-sim. Everything else was simply assigned elsewhere.

> And that's why there isn't a c.s.i.p.g.a.simulations ;-)

Let's make it then. J/K. :P
--
"The angel said to [Mary], 'Do not be afraid, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever.'" --Luke 1:30-33. Slammier hump day. Will today be quieter?
| |o o| |

Re: 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15

<tngh3p$36rta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9924&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9924

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 17:19:55 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 01:19 UTC

On 12/15/2022 10:25 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> The mooses are whispering in my ears again. The things they are
> saying... most cannot be repeated (moose can be incredibly coarse).
> But one of the things they are saying I can repeat, and that's "give
> the nice people on Usenet another game." Who am I to resist the
> command of a moose?
>
> (Actually, what they said is, "give the nice people TWO games, but
> since I'm too lazy to make two posts - and because the games are so
> closely related - we'll do it all in one go, s'aright? S'aright.)
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> * 112 Operator
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/793460/112_Operator/
> Didja ever wanna grow up to me the person working on the other end of
> the emergency dispatch phone line? No, of course you didn't; what a
> ridiculous question. Z486I Nobody has life goals that tame. But did
> you ever wonder what it would be to have that job?

Actually I have worked with emergency dispatchers and been in the room
with them as they work so I really _don't_ have to wonder.

dirty old man.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / 2022 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #15