From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: U.S. Cellular Carriers Stepping Up to Fight Covid-19
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:13:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:13 UTC

> Pfizer Shot Is Far Less Effective in 5- to 11-Year-Olds Than in Older Kids, New Data Show
> <https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/28/health/pfizer-vaccine-kids.html>
>
> "*The vaccine offered almost no protection against infection*,
> even just a month after full vaccination."

See attached PDF... published today.
*Safety, tolerability and viral kinetics during SARS-CoV-2 human challenge in young adults*
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01780-9#Sec9>

It's billed as the world's first human challenge.
Takeaways of this study which went from March 2021 to about September.
- Small study (36 young adults), none of whom had any antibodies or vax prior and healthy & no exposure to SARS-COV-1 or SARS-COV-2 (two were excluded so it turned out to be 34).
- 18 caught Covid (slightly more than half); 16 of which had symptoms
- A bit less than half never got sick and never developed antibodies
- 83% of the those who did get sick lost some sense of smell (9 people couldn't smell at all)
- Each received the same "single 10um drop" of fluid inserted in their nose via a long tube
- Of those 18, viral load had no effect on symptoms (weird!)
- "There was no correlation between the amount of viral shedding by qPCR or FFA and symptom score."
- remdesivir was given to 1/3rd but it made no difference
- shedding happened two days after infection
- shedding occurs before symptoms (duh - that's how most viruses work)
- Virus was detected in 40 hours at the back of the throat
- Virus took 58 hours to show up in nose swabs (at weaker levels also)
- Average shedding was 6.5 days (some shed for double that)
- Asymptomatic people shed as much as symptomatic people did (ask the WHO about that, Maria Kerkhovich in particular, if you recall)
- Home tests worked before 75% of the virus had been generated