Professional wrestling: ballet for the common man.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

SubjectAuthor
* Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?Andy Burnelli
+- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareHank Rogers
+* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
|`* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
| +* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?Andy Burnelli
| |`- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
| `- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?Little Jack Horner
+* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareMarco Moock
|+* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
||`* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?Andy Burnelli
|| `- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
|`* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
| `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
|  `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?Andy Burnelli
|   +- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
|   `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
|    `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareHank Rogers
|     +- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareAlan
|     `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
|      `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareHank Rogers
|       `* Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?nospam
|        `- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwareHank Rogers
`- Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardwarebad sector

1
Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3sa9u$1spv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9973&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9973

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:12:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:12 UTC

Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?
a. Industry standard sdcard slots to use with _portable_ memory cards
b. Industry standard 3.5mm jacks for overall general-purpose needs
c. FM radios for emergency use & for specific needs when you're off the net
d. License-free cables & ports (such as industry standard USB-C cables)
e. Fast chargers (or at least slow chargers) provided gratis, in the box
f. Modern capacity batteries (more than 4-1/2 to 7 Amp hours nowadays)
etc.

I (think I) know why.
Do you?

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<Ump8K.858705$aT3.593081@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9975&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9975

Subject: Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware
functionality?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 22:34:10 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 03:34 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware
> functionality?

They are designed for iKooks?

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3thv1$mr8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9977&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9977

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:28:47 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 06:28 UTC

On 2022-04-21 12:12 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?
> a. Industry standard sdcard slots to use with _portable_ memory cards

Not an industry standard and not present on a little less than a quarter
of all phones currently available or coming soon.

> b. Industry standard 3.5mm jacks for overall general-purpose needs

Not an industry standard, not for "general-purpose needs"...

....and not present on more than 20% of all phones currently available or
coming soon.

> c. FM radios for emergency use & for specific needs when you're off the net

Not present on about 40% of all phones currently available or coming soon.

> d. License-free cables & ports (such as industry standard USB-C cables)

Why is "license-free" in any way important?

> e. Fast chargers (or at least slow chargers) provided gratis, in the box

Why is that functionality of the phone at all?

> f. Modern capacity batteries (more than 4-1/2 to 7 Amp hours nowadays)

Isn't functionality how long the phone can actually run on a battery?

Is a phone with a 7 amp-hour battery that runs for 15 hours more
functional than a phone with a 3 amp-hour battery that runs for 15 hours?

> etc.
>
> I (think I) know why.
> Do you?

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<20220422134559.0c3486a0@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9978&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9978

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:45:59 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:45 UTC

Am Donnerstag, 21. April 2022, um 20:12:12 Uhr schrieb Andy Burnelli:

> Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware
> functionality? a. Industry standard sdcard slots to use with
> _portable_ memory cards b. Industry standard 3.5mm jacks for overall
> general-purpose needs c. FM radios for emergency use & for specific
> needs when you're off the net d. License-free cables & ports (such as
> industry standard USB-C cables) e. Fast chargers (or at least slow
> chargers) provided gratis, in the box f. Modern capacity batteries
> (more than 4-1/2 to 7 Amp hours nowadays) etc.
>
> I (think I) know why.
> Do you?

If apply provides a 3.5mm jack, people can use any headphone, they
don't need to buy one from Apple.

It's about money.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420220756543733%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9979&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9979

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:56:54 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:56 UTC

In article <t3thv1$mr8$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> > d. License-free cables & ports (such as industry standard USB-C cables)
>
> Why is "license-free" in any way important?

what he fails to understand is that usb-c is licensed by the usb
consortium to guarantee its compliance with the usb spec.

there are unlicensed cables available, except they don't necessarily
work and in many cases, can cause damage.

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-
c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/>
Benson Leung, the Google engineer who moonlights as a tester of
dodgy USB Type-C cables, has sadly performed his last act of tech
vigilantism‹at least for now. When testing a Surjtech 3M USB A-to-C
cable, the cable was so bad that it fried his Chromebook Pixel laptop
and two USB PD (power delivery) analysers.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420220756553799%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9980&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9980

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:56:55 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:56 UTC

In article <20220422134559.0c3486a0@ryz>, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de>
wrote:

> If apply provides a 3.5mm jack, people can use any headphone, they
> don't need to buy one from Apple.

they still can use any headphones.

and it ain't just apple. many android phones do not have an analog
3.5mm jack, including the first android phone in 2008, which used a
proprietary ext-usb port.

> It's about money.

nope. it's that most people do not use the analog headphone jack, so
the space can be better used for features more people want, with the
old analog headphone jack replaced with a more capable digital one.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3ukdl$9b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9983&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9983

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:16:53 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:16 UTC

On 2022-04-22 4:45 a.m., Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 21. April 2022, um 20:12:12 Uhr schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>
>> Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware
>> functionality? a. Industry standard sdcard slots to use with
>> _portable_ memory cards b. Industry standard 3.5mm jacks for overall
>> general-purpose needs c. FM radios for emergency use & for specific
>> needs when you're off the net d. License-free cables & ports (such as
>> industry standard USB-C cables) e. Fast chargers (or at least slow
>> chargers) provided gratis, in the box f. Modern capacity batteries
>> (more than 4-1/2 to 7 Amp hours nowadays) etc.
>>
>> I (think I) know why.
>> Do you?
>
> If apply provides a 3.5mm jack, people can use any headphone, they
> don't need to buy one from Apple.
>
> It's about money.

Except they don't have to buy them from Apple...

....because there are lots and lots of non-Apple options.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420221228246685%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9984&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9984

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:28:24 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

In article <t3ukdl$9b8$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> > If apply provides a 3.5mm jack, people can use any headphone, they
> > don't need to buy one from Apple.
> >
> > It's about money.
> >

> Except they don't have to buy them from Apple...
>
> ...because there are lots and lots of non-Apple options.

and when apple removed the jack, apple included headphones in the box
so they didn't need to buy anything at all.

and it ain't just apple. several android device makers are doing the
same thing.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3uq9l$1l97$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9986&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9986

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:57:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:57 UTC

nospam wrote:

> and it ain't just apple. many android phones do not have an analog
> 3.5mm jack, including the first android phone in 2008, which used a
> proprietary ext-usb port.

You can feel _brave_ that your iPhone lacks basic hardware functionality.

But most Android phones made in the past five years come with this industry
standard 3.5mm jack for very good reasons, nospam.
<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2017&chk35mm=selected&sAvailabilities=1&sOSes=2>

And no, it's not because they're "courageous", which is how Apple described
their removal of basic hardware functionality (which is Apple's strategy).
--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.
Except for the iKooks. They're here solely to defend all Apple decisions.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3uqej$1n3d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9987&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9987

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:00:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:00 UTC

nospam wrote:

> and when apple removed the jack, apple included headphones in the box
> so they didn't need to buy anything at all.

Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 & 13's sold?

> and it ain't just apple. several android device makers are doing the
> same thing.

Why do you always argue that Apple has no competent marketing to speak of,
such that Apple has absolutely no free will, where you always claim that
"several device makers" _forced_ Apple to do all the bad things Apple does?

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3uqi0$1ooc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9988&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9988

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:01:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:01 UTC

nospam wrote:

> there are unlicensed cables available, except they don't necessarily
> work and in many cases, can cause damage.

There is only one reason Apple's strategy is to keep people inside the
walled prison garden, where the proprietary cable is just one indicator.
--
You can't make those ungodly profit margins without stellar marketing.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3ur55$um8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9989&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9989

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:11:47 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:11 UTC

On 2022-04-22 11:01 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> there are unlicensed cables available, except they don't necessarily
>> work and in many cases, can cause damage.
>
> There is only one reason Apple's strategy is to keep people inside the
> walled prison garden, where the proprietary cable is just one indicator.

I cable you can buy from multiple vendors...

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3ur5l$um8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9990&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9990

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:12:03 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:12 UTC

On 2022-04-22 11:00 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> and when apple removed the jack, apple included headphones in the box
>> so they didn't need to buy anything at all.
>
> Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 & 13's
> sold?
>
>> and it ain't just apple. several android device makers are doing the
>> same thing.
>
> Why do you always argue that Apple has no competent marketing to speak of,
> such that Apple has absolutely no free will, where you always claim that
> "several device makers" _forced_ Apple to do all the bad things Apple does?

No one has made any such claim.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3ur76$um8$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9991&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9991

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:12:52 -0700

On 2022-04-22 10:57 a.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> and it ain't just apple. many android phones do not have an analog
>> 3.5mm jack, including the first android phone in 2008, which used a
>> proprietary ext-usb port.
>
> You can feel _brave_ that your iPhone lacks basic hardware functionality.
>
> But most Android phones made in the past five years come with this industry
> standard 3.5mm jack for very good reasons, nospam.
> <https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2017&chk35mm=selected&sAvailabilities=1&sOSes=2>
>

> And no, it's not because they're "courageous", which is how Apple described
> their removal of basic hardware functionality (which is Apple's strategy).

The basic functionality that matters is "can listen to audio through
devices placed in or over the ears"...

....and that functionality remains.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420221418068241%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9992&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9992

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:18:06 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:18 UTC

In article <t3uqej$1n3d$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > and when apple removed the jack, apple included headphones in the box
> > so they didn't need to buy anything at all.
>
> Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 & 13's sold?

they did with the 7, 7+, 8, 8+, x, xs, xs max, xr, 11, 11 pro.

they also included headphones with the original iphone, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s,
5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+.

they stopped including headphones with the 12 because few people
actually used what they did include, largely because just about
everyone already has at least one set, often more.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<OIC8K.1213$Za8b.580@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9993&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9993

functionality?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:44:56 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

nospam wrote:
> In article <t3uqej$1n3d$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
> <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>> and when apple removed the jack, apple included headphones in the box
>>> so they didn't need to buy anything at all.
>>
>> Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 & 13's sold?
>
> they did with the 7, 7+, 8, 8+, x, xs, xs max, xr, 11, 11 pro.
>
> they also included headphones with the original iphone, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s,
> 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+.
>
> they stopped including headphones with the 12 because few people
> actually used what they did include, largely because just about
> everyone already has at least one set, often more.

They certainly weren't greedy. They did it because they thought
everyone threw all that stuff away, right?

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<t3utkh$kg1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9994&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9994

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
functionality?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:54:09 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:54 UTC

On 2022-04-22 11:44 a.m., Hank Rogers wrote:
> nospam wrote:

>>> Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 &
>>> 13's sold?
>>
>> they did with the 7, 7+, 8, 8+, x, xs, xs max, xr, 11, 11 pro.
>>
>> they also included headphones with the original iphone, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s,
>> 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+.
>>
>> they stopped including headphones with the 12 because few people
>> actually used what they did include, largely because just about
>> everyone already has at least one set, often more.
>>

> They certainly weren't greedy. They did it because they thought everyone
> threw all that stuff away, right?

That's why I do when I dispose of anything that doesn't work anymore!

I immediately throw away everything that might have come with it!

:-D

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420221455011115%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9995&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9995

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:55:01 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:55 UTC

In article <OIC8K.1213$Za8b.580@fx44.iad>, Hank Rogers
<hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> Did Apple include those headphones in the 190 million iPhone 12 & 13's
> >> sold?
> >
> > they did with the 7, 7+, 8, 8+, x, xs, xs max, xr, 11, 11 pro.
> >
> > they also included headphones with the original iphone, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s,
> > 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+.
> >
> > they stopped including headphones with the 12 because few people
> > actually used what they did include, largely because just about
> > everyone already has at least one set, often more.
> >

> They certainly weren't greedy. They did it because they thought
> everyone threw all that stuff away, right?

some people did. not everyone keeps stuff they don't use.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<_%D8K.6$x9Ea.0@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9996&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9996

functionality?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:13:41 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:13 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> they did with the 7, 7+, 8, 8+, x, xs, xs max, xr, 11, 11 pro.
>>>
>>> they also included headphones with the original iphone, 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s,
>>> 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+.
>>>
>>> they stopped including headphones with the 12 because few people
>>> actually used what they did include, largely because just about
>>> everyone already has at least one set, often more.
>>>

>> They certainly weren't greedy. They did it because they thought
>> everyone threw all that stuff away, right?
>
> some people did. not everyone keeps stuff they don't use.

I wonder how apple knows when a customer throws something away?

They could sell that technology to google and more than make up for
the losses by including a few dollars worth of chinese accessories
with their $700 phones :)

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<0pE8K.1604940$Z91.12268@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9998&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#9998

From: littl...@nospam.invalid (Little Jack Horner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:40:25 -0000
 by: Little Jack Horner - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:40 UTC

nospam wrote:
> In article <t3thv1$mr8$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-04-21 12:12 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
>>
>>> d. License-free cables & ports (such as industry standard USB-C cables)
>>
>> Why is "license-free" in any way important?
>
> what he fails to understand is that usb-c is licensed by the usb
> consortium to guarantee its compliance with the usb spec.

It is not failing to understand.

By posting BS, it is getting the social interaction it wants and which
it is unable to get in other ways.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<220420221718114930%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10000&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10000

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:18:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

In article <_%D8K.6$x9Ea.0@fx45.iad>, Hank Rogers <hank@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> >> They certainly weren't greedy. They did it because they thought
> >> everyone threw all that stuff away, right?
> >
> > some people did. not everyone keeps stuff they don't use.
> >

> I wonder how apple knows when a customer throws something away?

i'm surprised you don't know that!

it's because of tracking implant that is installed after purchasing the
the first apple product. fortunately, it covers subsequent purchases.

it's a simple and completely painless procedure, which is why most
people don't remember.

these days, it's installed shortly after birth, except in nebraska.

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<1QF8K.431728$iK66.263286@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10005&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10005

functionality?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:17:32 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:17 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> some people did. not everyone keeps stuff they don't use.
>>>

>> I wonder how apple knows when a customer throws something away?
>
> i'm surprised you don't know that!
>
> it's because of tracking implant that is installed after purchasing the
> the first apple product. fortunately, it covers subsequent purchases.
>
> it's a simple and completely painless procedure, which is why most
> people don't remember.
>
> these days, it's installed shortly after birth, except in nebraska.

Hahaha, so you know too!

Re: Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware functionality?

<l76dncJcMIYA1-z_nZ2dnUU7-dOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10129&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10129

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:30:34 -0400
functionality?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware
From: forget...@postit_INVALID_.gov (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 3 May 2022 15:30 UTC

On 4/21/22 15:12, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Why do iPhones currently lack even the most basic hardware
> functionality?
>
> a. Industry standard sdcard slots to use with _portable_ memory
> cards b. Industry standard 3.5mm jacks for overall general-purpose
> needs c. FM radios for emergency use & for specific needs when you're
> off the net d. License-free cables & ports (such as industry
> standard USB-C cables) e. Fast chargers (or at least slow chargers)
> provided gratis, in the box f. Modern capacity batteries (more than
> 4-1/2 to 7 Amp hours nowadays) etc.
>
> I (think I) know why. Do you?

ever hear the expression $trangleware?