From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc.corp (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.lang.c++,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.lang.c
Subject: Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work; alas neither
does Olcott.
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:59:16 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 14:59 UTC

Hi!

Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work.

Why? A turing machine should be able to implement ANY algorithm and as
such it is an idealisation, an INFINITE STATE MACHINE (ISM) if you will.

A simulating halt decider (SHD) can only over be implemented as a FINITE
STATE MACHINE (FSM) so is not suitable for a) solving the halting
problem or b) refuting the halting problem proofs.

Olcott has wasted the last 18 years of his life with what he thinks he
invented (SHDs). Alas the deluded dear hasn't even invented a halt
decider, all he has invented is a particularly useless form of
simulation detector.

/Flibble

Re: Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work; alas neither does Olcott.

<tj3llf$1938f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9975&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9975

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
does Olcott.
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:12:47 -0500
 by: olcott - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:12 UTC

*Please do not post to comp.lang.c or you will kill it*

On 10/23/2022 9:59 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work.
>
> Why? A turing machine should be able to implement ANY algorithm and as
> such it is an idealisation, an INFINITE STATE MACHINE (ISM) if you will.

The machine operates on an infinite[4] memory tape divided into discrete
cells,[5] each of which can hold a single symbol drawn from a finite set
of symbols called the alphabet of the machine. It has a "head" that, at
any point in the machine's operation, is positioned over one of these
cells, and a "state" selected from a *finite set of states*.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work; alas neither does Olcott.

<20221023161856.0000404a@reddwarf.jmc.corp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9976&group=comp.ai.philosophy#9976

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc.corp (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.lang.c++,comp.lang+c
Subject: Re: Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work; alas
neither does Olcott.
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 16:18:56 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:18 UTC

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:12:47 -0500
olcott <polcott2@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Please do not post to comp.lang.c or you will kill it*
>
> On 10/23/2022 9:59 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Simulating halt deciders (SHDs) simply do not work.
> >
> > Why? A turing machine should be able to implement ANY algorithm and
> > as such it is an idealisation, an INFINITE STATE MACHINE (ISM) if
> > you will.
>
> The machine operates on an infinite[4] memory tape divided into
> discrete cells,[5] each of which can hold a single symbol drawn from
> a finite set of symbols called the alphabet of the machine. It has a
> "head" that, at any point in the machine's operation, is positioned
> over one of these cells, and a "state" selected from a *finite set of
> states*. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine

Nope. I am including the tape as part of the machine's state just as we
include machine memory as being part of an SHD's state.

/Flibble