From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Sable
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:01:06 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:01 UTC

On the third day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeney gave to me...
.... A pastel-hued exploratory!

* Sable
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/sable

In the range of Cookies and Coal, "Sable" at first glance seems to be
coal, but this game definitely leans more towards the cookie. Think of
it as a cross between "No Man's Sky" and "Mad Max", which sounds odd
but damn if "Sable" doesn't make it work. The visuals are subtly
beautiful and the mechanics of the game are solid (although perhaps
leaning a bit too much towards 'walking sim' for some). Gliding about
on your hoverbike and exploring the wastelands, uncovering the history
of the place and upgrading your bike... it's a solid game. I guess
sometimes Epic gets it right.

Don't miss this one. You have twenty-four hours to claim it.

Re: Free Game: Sable

<tmeuphlmml6nduruj2205g104uogloa22j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9979&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9979

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Sable
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:09:24 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:09 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:01:06 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>In the range of Cookies and Coal, "Sable" at first glance seems to be
>coal, but this game definitely leans more towards the cookie. Think of
>it as a cross between "No Man's Sky" and "Mad Max", which sounds odd
>but damn if "Sable" doesn't make it work. The visuals are subtly
>beautiful and the mechanics of the game are solid (although perhaps
>leaning a bit too much towards 'walking sim' for some). Gliding about
>on your hoverbike and exploring the wastelands, uncovering the history
>of the place and upgrading your bike... it's a solid game. I guess
>sometimes Epic gets it right.

I think the visuals are ugly but to each his own.

Thank you for the reminder because apparently I can't even remember
when they offer something new every single day.

Re: Free Game: Sable

<d8b680b4-deca-7863-c39f-37351aceac30@zimage.comANT>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9981&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9981

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:14:43 -0800
 by: Ant - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 17:14 UTC

On 12/18/2022 8:09 AM, Mike S. wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:01:06 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the range of Cookies and Coal, "Sable" at first glance seems to be
>> coal, but this game definitely leans more towards the cookie. Think of
>> it as a cross between "No Man's Sky" and "Mad Max", which sounds odd
>> but damn if "Sable" doesn't make it work. The visuals are subtly
>> beautiful and the mechanics of the game are solid (although perhaps
>> leaning a bit too much towards 'walking sim' for some). Gliding about
>> on your hoverbike and exploring the wastelands, uncovering the history
>> of the place and upgrading your bike... it's a solid game. I guess
>> sometimes Epic gets it right.
>
> I think the visuals are ugly but to each his own.
>
> Thank you for the reminder because apparently I can't even remember
> when they offer something new every single day.

"Mine" even though I doubt I'll play it. It was free!
--
"[Zechariah said,] 'Praise be to the Lord, God of Israel, because he has
come and has redeemed his people. He has raised up a horn of salvation
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: Free Game: Sable

<f21c2dc2-983d-4bff-9f40-2b9739b5639fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9982&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9982

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:30:32 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 17:30 UTC

On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:01:13 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On the third day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeney gave to me...
> ... A pastel-hued exploratory!
>
> * Sable
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/sable
>
> In the range of Cookies and Coal, "Sable" at first glance seems to be
> coal, but this game definitely leans more towards the cookie. Think of
> it as a cross between "No Man's Sky" and "Mad Max", which sounds odd
> but damn if "Sable" doesn't make it work. The visuals are subtly
> beautiful and the mechanics of the game are solid (although perhaps
> leaning a bit too much towards 'walking sim' for some). Gliding about
> on your hoverbike and exploring the wastelands, uncovering the history
> of the place and upgrading your bike... it's a solid game. I guess
> sometimes Epic gets it right.

I really liked Mad Max, so I'll give it a try... eventually.

Thanks again Spalls!

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Sable

<7be2e89f-8c16-46a4-aba3-11980ee97d92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9994&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#9994

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:03:28 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 05:03 UTC

On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 9:30:34 AM UTC-8, Justisaur wrote:
> On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 8:01:13 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> > On the third day of EpicMas, Tim Sweeney gave to me...
> > ... A pastel-hued exploratory!
> >
> > * Sable
> > https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/sable
> >
> > In the range of Cookies and Coal, "Sable" at first glance seems to be
> > coal, but this game definitely leans more towards the cookie. Think of
> > it as a cross between "No Man's Sky" and "Mad Max", which sounds odd
> > but damn if "Sable" doesn't make it work. The visuals are subtly
> > beautiful and the mechanics of the game are solid (although perhaps
> > leaning a bit too much towards 'walking sim' for some). Gliding about
> > on your hoverbike and exploring the wastelands, uncovering the history
> > of the place and upgrading your bike... it's a solid game. I guess
> > sometimes Epic gets it right.
> I really liked Mad Max, so I'll give it a try... eventually.
>
> Thanks again Spalls!

Actually gave it a try, like it so far. It sort of makes me think of star wars
Tatooine so far, but that might just be because it's set in a desert and has
speeders and a sort of jedi like gliding. Reminds me a bit of BotW too only
no fighting so far. A bit too much walking/adventure/parkour type game for
me, but I might keep playing it as I haven't hit anything particularly annoying
so far.

I would warn it starts out in very low rez, I think 600x400 and it looked
terrible and blurry, but looked o.k. once I figured out to raise the resolution
to native.

- Justisaur